Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

lap spikes on campaign map / Terrain details graphic option break campaign performance

xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Registered Users Posts: 139
after a lot of testing, i found out that there are areas on the campaign map which are causing fps drops. for example: middle of bretonnia, athel loren, whisenland, the vortex. i dont know if there are also areas like this in the vortex campaign (except the vortex)

its hard for my computer to maintain 60 fps (i have a 720p 60HZ monitor and i'm playing on High settings without any extras like reflection, SSAO, only the blood settings and vignette are on) but these bad-fps areas are killing my fps. it drops to 30-45 and it stutters as hell!
BUT thanks to my testing, Now i know that setting the terrain details to Mid (that option under high, dont know what is called in english, i'm german yu know) fix it in a kind of way. now, it drops to 50. and the stuttering is no longer so hard.

BUT! the terrain settings are battle only. i can not spot any difference on the campaign map visually, except the FPS.

of course, the battle terrain looks.. terrible now.
and BTW: the battle performance is not better than before. its the same.... i thought "hey, at least now the battle performance is more stable!.." nope.. no changes.

is that supposed to be like this? a BATTLE option is causing heavy FPS drops on CAMPAIGN? what is wrong?
i guess 99% its a bug, so i report it here. please fix that.

aw CA please.. set your focus on optimizing the game. PLEASE. the stuttering, the lag spikes.. it DESTROYS everything. you can make the best game ever, if it has such bad optimizing its just bad and no one wants to play it.

you breaked warhammer 1 performance with every DLC (hello bretonnia, hello beastmen) DON'T do it on warhammer 2....

PS: i am using adaptive Vsync, but its hard enough to maintain 60 FPS so i think its not really a problem.
i am not using any FPS limiter. perhaps i should, i dont know lol

and before anyone is crying YOURH PC IS JUUSTH BAAAAAD...

graphic: nvidia gtx 970 4 gb vram
processor: AMD FX 8320 8-core processor 3,5 GHZ
ram: 16 GB DDR3
harddrive: 2 TB HDD (i can't install it on my SSD, because only 20 GB would be free on my SSD after installing the game and this is a little bit critical)

i know its not the best of the best, but it SHOULD be capable of handling the game on 60 FPS in 720p on HIGH settings.

and honestly, nobody wants to play below that.

Comments

• seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572
    I have a GTX 970 + I5 6600 and I get 35-60 FPS in the game on high with some ultra additions and AA...

Some thoughts:

1. Campaign map in TW was always laggy since Empire TW. Something is just badly optimized. Graphical fidelity is nice but I rather have my overland map without lags.
    2. Your processor is not good. It is a really weak processor. Upgrading it would work wonder!
    3. If money isnt an issue I would buy a 1080p monitor. It improves overall quality and a GTX 970 can handle it.
    4. Have you tried the DirectX 12 driver setting? It might(!) also benefit you
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Registered Users Posts: 139
    seienchin said:

I have a GTX 970 + I5 6600 and I get 35-60 FPS in the game on high with some ultra additions and AA...

1. Campaign map in TW was always laggy since Empire TW. Something is just badly optimized. Graphical fidelity is nice but I rather have my overland map without lags.
    2. Your processor is not good. It is a really weak processor. Upgrading it would work wonder!
    3. If money isnt an issue I would buy a 1080p monitor. It improves overall quality and a GTX 970 can handle it.
    4. Have you tried the DirectX 12 driver setting? It might(!) also benefit you

Dx12 is not usable on win8. However as far as i know dx12 is even more laggy.

and i dont have money to buy anything of this. As far as i know processors are super expensive , especially now. Dont know why.. market reasons or something like this.
  • HuntingDogHuntingDog Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,470
    using the FPS limiter from MSI-Afterburner helps a lot to make TW smoother, especially the campaign map.

TW games don't need 60 fps imho. I really prefer rock steady locked 30 fps with higher image fidelity to shaky 60 fps with lower IQ.

Give it a try (and switch off adaptive v-sync when using the limiter).

Also, u can overclock your 970 with Afterburner. They are usually quite good overclockers.

using the FPS limiter from MSI-Afterburner helps a lot to make TW smoother, especially the campaign map.

TW games don't need 60 fps imho. I really prefer rock steady locked 30 fps with higher image fidelity to shaky 60 fps with lower IQ.

Give it a try (and switch off adaptive v-sync when using the limiter).

Also, u can overclock your 970 with Afterburner. They are usually quite good overclockers.

Is msi afterburner usable on Nvidia cards? Oo

i did read about something called nvidia inspector.. is this also an option?

Btw
    i cant play on 30 fps. i dont know why but my eyes are suffering from it. Strange, i know.

Absolutely, it works with almost any card on the market and has the best quality framerate limiter imho. The framerate limiter is actually included in the RTSS (riva tuner statistics server) part of Afterburner.

That's an even more specialized software which also has a framerate limiter (but not as good as Afterburner imho). It's primary purpose is to modify the game profiles in the graphics driver, for example to improve SLI or AA for a specific game.

Btw. i cant play on 30 fps. i dont know why but my eyes are suffering from it. Strange, i know.

Haha, that's an expensive problem ;)
    My expensive fault is, that I absolutely hate any form of pixel flimmering/aliasing.

Absolutely, it works with almost any card on the market and has the best quality framerate limiter imho. The framerate limiter is actually included in the RTSS (riva tuner statistics server) part of Afterburner.

That's an even more specialized software which also has a framerate limiter (but not as good as Afterburner imho). It's primary purpose is to modify the game profiles in the graphics driver, for example to improve SLI or AA for a specific game.

Btw. i cant play on 30 fps. i dont know why but my eyes are suffering from it. Strange, i know.

Haha, that's an expensive problem ;)
    My expensive fault is, that I absolutely hate any form of pixel flimmering/aliasing.

Interesting, thanks for explaining that. I will take a look on this, sounds good
    all that vsync and FPS limit stuff can be confusing

yea aliasing can be very terrible looking. AA is important. FXAA is normally the solution for me.

sadly nothing will fix these bad fps areas and the campaign stuttering caused by battle terrain settings.
    this is one of the problems caused by bad optimization. CA should fix that stuff ._.

sadly nothing will fix these bad fps areas and the campaign stuttering caused by battle terrain settings. this is one of the problems caused by bad optimization. CA should fix that stuff ._.

That is true. Hopfully CA will be able to fix those issues together with some strangely GPU intense VFX issues and other stuff mentioned in the threads here.

• komijeuzeonickkomijeuzeonick Registered Users Posts: 6
    this is still not resolved, campaign map still stutters and is bound to BATTLE TERRAIN SETTING, if they dont want to fix it they can AT LEAST write the correct description on all of the settings

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file