Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Performance in WARHAMMER 2 ... am I the only one who is really annoyed by it?

xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Registered Users Posts: 139
after a day of testing EVERY graphic setting in the game, i am really sick of it.

and after making this thread -> https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/209333/lap-spikes-on-campaign-map-terrain-details-graphic-option-break-campaign-performance
i feel like i am the only one who have such a big problem with all that.

because of this, i am making THIS thread to ask you: are you annoyed by it like me?
all that tweaking of settings, only to find out that something that should not break the performance IS actually breaking the performance. (in that case..)

my PC...:
graphic: nvidia gtx 970 4 gb vram
processor: AMD FX 8320 8-core processor 3,5 GHZ
ram: 16 GB DDR3
harddrive: 2 TB HDD (i can't install it on my SSD, because only 20 GB would be free on my SSD after installing the game and this is a little bit critical)
...can barely handle the game on high settings. and i am using a 720p 60HZ (or 59, tbh i don't know) monitor

so i have to search the internet for EVERRYY setting in the game AND the nvidia control panel.
for example: using MSAA (MSAA is every method beyond FXAA) is a fps killer because of this i am using FXAA, which is fine btw.
SSAO? don't use that, it will kill your FPS.
reflections? the vortex will burn your FPS.
vsync? unsure. i am using adaptive VSYNC and .. i guess its the best what i can using?
BTW there are a LOOOOT of things about VSYNC and fps limits that you have to know when you want to use it.

now, i am on high settings. EXCEPT terrain details. why? read the thread above.
and no extras. (except blood and vignette) and .. its.. okay. 45-60 fps.. and its like i can feel every single frameloss ( especially when moving the campaign camera, because its just not stable 60 all the time)
battles? sometimes they lag as hell. but my testing was all about the campaign map, i cant say much about them.
i am not really happy after this, because the terrain details on mid setting are.. really... baah... terrible is a nice word for it.

what is wrong? is the engine just bad? is CA actually bad at optimizing the game?
am i too sensible regarding FPS? sometimes i think my eyes are just to sensible. it could be. i don't know.

i am also sick of this nvidia control panel.
what about pre rendered frames? i have 4 now.
what about negative LOD bias? now its clamp
what about all the other options in it? textur filtering?
are my settings the problem? i'm sure that i adjusted the settings to the best.. but i could be wrong.

and after all this.. i remember warhammer1. and the BEASTMEN dlc. the.. beastmen maps.. this superlaggy stutter maps.
and the bretonnia FLC, which breaked wh1's battle performance. still not fixed btw.

the tomb kings will come.. i can see the pyramids of stuttering stutter in my direction to stutter me to hell. I am serious, i am afraid CA will do it again.

what do you think about all this? perhaps i am the only one with this problem. i don't know. i am a little bit exhausted from all that testing and yea, its frustrating.
i wonder if there are people who can run the game fine. and if yes, please tell me what is the big secret about keeping stable FPS in this game. i don't want 144, i dont want 120, i don't want 90.. I just want 60.
Tagged:

Comments

• IntertriarriiaeIntertriarriiae Registered Users Posts: 385
    If I run wh2 on the same settings as wh1 it doesn't run as smoothly no. My biggest issue though is that the campaign map and hud lag like hell.

I can press a button on the campaign map, wait a second or 2 and only then will it do what I asked. This just really annoys me. You might think how many times do you press buttons on the campaign map?

Selecting cities, creating buildings, diplomacy, etc. You press a lot of buttons...
    Just tossing in my 2 heresies every once in a while.
  • julius_civilisjulius_civilis Registered Users Posts: 365
    I think you're to busy with your frame rates do you even enjoy gaming?
    Dude framerates sometimes drop for a little while its the case almost in every game.
    Imo warhammer 2 has excellent performance I never had much lower framerates than 45/50 which is decent imo especially with a game which has so so much going on on the screen.
    I just can't see why people always make such a big deal out of framerates dropping a bit honoustly its hardly noticeable just turn off your frame rate meter and you'll barely notice anything, believe me.
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Registered Users Posts: 139

I think you're to busy with your frame rates do you even enjoy gaming?
    Dude framerates sometimes drop for a little while its the case almost in every game.
    Imo warhammer 2 has excellent performance I never had much lower framerates than 45/50 which is decent imo especially with a game which has so so much going on on the screen.
    I just can't see why people always make such a big deal out of framerates dropping a bit honoustly its hardly noticeable just turn off your frame rate meter and you'll barely notice anything, believe me.

i wish it wouldnt be so noticeable. but it is. as i said, especially when i am moving the camera.
    for example, playing the empire, and moving around.. to whisenland boom, fps says goodbye. especially with terrain details on high. this is not enjoyable.
    i love that game, i enjoy every single moment without bugs, OR stuttering.

i think you didn't understand me.

to be clear: the main problem is the stuttering, the feelable lag, caused by FPS drops. I GUESS its tied to the FPS. because of this, i am talking about FPS here all the time.
    i don't care about that number, i care about smoothness etc.

If I run wh2 on the same settings as wh1 it doesn't run as smoothly no. My biggest issue though is that the campaign map and hud lag like hell.

I can press a button on the campaign map, wait a second or 2 and only then will it do what I asked. This just really annoys me. You might think how many times do you press buttons on the campaign map?

Selecting cities, creating buildings, diplomacy, etc. You press a lot of buttons...

this sounds horrible... i would go insane by this.
    i never heard about this problem, never had it. what is going on with this game? i don't understand it.
  • copperd123copperd123 Registered Users Posts: 237
    My only problem is with overly foggy campaign map, one thing I really hate
  • 42konyo42konyo Registered Users Posts: 783
    For me it's alright I guess, nowhere near as good as warhammer 1 though.
    Roughly the same specs but a pure AMD build, still able to run it mostly on ultra, with SSAO, UVM & V-sync disabled, AA set to FXAA shadows on medium and VFX set to high, 1920x1080 resolution running at around 30-35 fps on the campaign map and a bit better in battles.

My only issue lies with the broken state (at least for me) of dx12, but that's only something AMD GPU users would notice anyway, in the first game it'd easily give me a 10-15 fps increase on top of really stabilizing my fps unlike dx11 in which it fluctuates like crazy, dx12 works fine in battles though.
  • RazmirthRazmirth Registered Users Posts: 2,226
    edited December 2017
    I think the game can be slow for sure. I have

I5 6600k overclocked to 4.4ghz
    8 gib ram
    980ti 6gb
    And Ssd

Game runs pretty decently if I’m playing dwarves or darkelves( any elite army) in a 20v20. But 40v30 or 40 can get really laggy at times. Which is odd, cause if I click recommended settings in graphics it auto sets me to ultra on everything, and I achieve 67 FPS in benchmark.

This is even worse if I’m playing a horde army like skaven. My gosh, 4000 troops on the map between both me and the enemy just tanks my FPS.

Granted benchmark isn’t 40v40, so I understand. But I’ve never played a game that sucks up your pc resources like this one. I can run doom, fallout 4 and the like on max settings pretty much and suffer very little FPS drop. But this game definitely takes a lot.

Unless you hAve a 1080ti, best cpu money can buy and not running 4K from what I’ve read up, your chances of achieving that constant 70 ish FPS is pretty much slim to none.
  • StoreslemStoreslem Registered Users Posts: 304
    i use gtx 1080 i7 7820hk 16gb ram and the game is laggy on 20vs20 units battles. bigger battles are so bad i have to turn of shadows & anti aliasing & texture filtering just to get stable fps.

worst example of fps drop is if you zoom in on units getting hit by impact from warp cannon & plague catapult.
    or from corpse carts. seriously try 20 corpse carts and you see what i mean

the problem is the engine. Game 1 has about 20-30 more fps than Game 2 on same settings(all ultra & shadows extreme) ive made a thread about it before showing images etc. so its just the engine dude
    Storeslem said:

i use gtx 1080 i7 7820hk 16gb ram and the game is laggy on 20vs20 units battles. bigger battles are so bad i have to turn of shadows & anti aliasing & texture filtering just to get stable fps.

worst example of fps drop is if you zoom in on units getting hit by impact from warp cannon & plague catapult.
    or from corpse carts. seriously try 20 corpse carts and you see what i mean

the problem is the engine. Game 1 has about 20-30 more fps than Game 2 on same settings(all ultra & shadows extreme) ive made a thread about it before showing images etc. so its just the engine dude

Pretty sad that u have basically the best money can buy and still it has FPS drops. I had to turn shadows down as well. That, along with keeping AA on FXAA instead of 16x and reflections off increase my FPS by 35 to a stable 67 or so. Unless huge battles sand stated.

If I had to complain about anything in the TWW2 this would be it. But i didn’t know the engine was the issue.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,850
    edited December 2017
    You are using a terrible processor and a pretty weak GPU and are being overly dramatic about your bad performance? That being said at 720p you should still be way above 60FPS. Your GPU isn't that weak and your CPU shouldn't be that bad.

I could have saved you some time however.

The only settings which really hurt performance are Shadows, AA, Textures, and SSAO.

Turn Shadows off. You don't need them and it'll kill your performance.

Don't go above FXAA. MSAA is crap and very inefficient

Textures I always keep ultra. That's just me.

SSAO is up to you. Depends on performance needs but for you I'd say off.

Shadows are the worst. Going from max too off I gained 10-15 FPS alone.
    FXAA isn't a big performance hit, about 5-10FPS but without it the game is ugly. So it's worth it to me.

I used to have a rx480 and with basically everything at Ultra and a few high with FXAA off and no Shadows I wasn't struggling to get 30-50 FPS at 1440p. That's much more difficult than anything you are running at 720p. So it's probably down to outdated drivers and the fact your FX CPU is just bad. Its very outdated and it's poor IPC/single threaded performance is what kills your experience in this game as TW is heavily CPU bound. That's just the nature of most games and DX11(which is nearly every game).

TWW2 is more difficult to run than TWW1. That shouldn't be surprising. It's a far bigger game not only in detail but complexity. It looks better by far most notably on the campaign map and the campaign in general is far more complex in terms of design. This isn't bad optimization and nothing to do with the Engine. It's just harder to run because it's doing more than the last game. Optimization is the same, but if you do more work it requires more work. So it's expected.

I highly suggest you upgrade your CPU and Memory will need to be upgraded to DDR4 as well for a new platform. A Ryzen 1400/1600 are strong candidates for this game.

If you don't want to upgrade you definitely need to look into your GPU drivers honestly you should have upgraded to Windows 10 by now. It's far faster than Windows 8/8.1. it could help with the stuttering as Windows 10 has an automatic game mode and can put more resources into the game.
    Post edited by NeverBackDown on
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,290
    edited December 2017
    How good is ryzen 1500x for this game? I'm planning to get that or used i7 6700/7700 but used Intel still pretty expensive than new AMD.

i5 3570 not really cut it anymore for Warhammer 2, running together with RX 570. Benchmark giving me 39-40 but actual gameplay gives worse especially on campaign map which can get below 10 at times and gives stuttering.

Battles up to 20vs20 is playable, never goes below 30 so far.

You are using a terrible processor and a pretty weak GPU and are being overly dramatic about your bad performance? That being said at 720p you should still be way above 60FPS. Your GPU isn't that weak and your CPU shouldn't be that bad.

I could have saved you some time however.

The only settings which really hurt performance are Shadows, AA, Textures, and SSAO.

Turn Shadows off. You don't need them and it'll kill your performance.

Don't go above FXAA. MSAA is crap and very inefficient

Textures I always keep ultra. That's just me.

SSAO is up to you. Depends on performance needs but for you I'd say off.

Shadows are the worst. Going from max too off I gained 10-15 FPS alone.
    FXAA isn't a big performance hit, about 5-10FPS but without it the game is ugly. So it's worth it to me.

I used to have a rx480 and with basically everything at Ultra and a few high with FXAA off and no Shadows I wasn't struggling to get 30-50 FPS at 1440p. That's much more difficult than anything you are running at 720p. So it's probably down to outdated drivers and the fact your FX CPU is just bad. Its very outdated and it's poor IPC/single threaded performance is what kills your experience in this game as TW is heavily CPU bound. That's just the nature of most games and DX11(which is nearly every game).

TWW2 is more difficult to run than TWW1. That shouldn't be surprising. It's a far bigger game not only in detail but complexity. It looks better by far most notably on the campaign map and the campaign in general is far more complex in terms of design. This isn't bad optimization and nothing to do with the Engine. It's just harder to run because it's doing more than the last game. Optimization is the same, but if you do more work it requires more work. So it's expected.

I highly suggest you upgrade your CPU and Memory will need to be upgraded to DDR4 as well for a new platform. A Ryzen 1400/1600 are strong candidates for this game.

If you don't want to upgrade you definitely need to look into your GPU drivers honestly you should have upgraded to Windows 10 by now. It's far faster than Windows 8/8.1. it could help with the stuttering as Windows 10 has an automatic game mode and can put more resources into the game.

1. My drivers are up to date. I installed thr newest just today.
    2. you didnt read any of the responses here did you? Here are people with strong pcs and getting lower fps than me.
    3. I said that my pc is just mid tier. You didnt read what i wrote didnt you? Just looked at at the specs and readed "bad performance". I dont want to play on ultra. I just want to play on high. And honestly 720p is enough for me. I already said it.
    4. Upgrading my processor? And what about cooling? I dont want a PC that require water cooling. Do you know how much it costs regarding electricity costs?
    5. However, upgrading anything is not an option. Dont have money for this. The only thing what i planned to buy is a new SSD to put warhammer2 on it. This could be wrong decision but i readed SSD is good for this game.
    6. Win10 costs money. This would be the last thing i want spending money on. Hardware is more important.
    7. DDR4 ram is as far as i know totally overpriced and there are little differences to DDR3. No thanks.
    8. Funny thar you are talking about "no shadows". Lol no Shadows are looking terrible but okay. Fine for you. Not for me.

Btw i would recommend you to read the threads which are you responding to. If you dont want that, okay than leave it. i tried EVERY setting. I said that.fun fact: Shadows are optimized by CA. there are no differences regarding stuttering if i adjust shadow settings.
    If I'm not mistaken, free win10 upgrade is still available even if not advertised.

• MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165
    Warhammer I certainly ran smoother in battles and campaign. Mortal Empires has a bit more excuse but as shown by the absolute massive amount of bugs and the lack of updates, it has no excuse either.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
    Somebody is angry.

1. I gave the suggestion because you'd be surprised how often I have to do this for people. It's a simple fix that many people don't know.
    2. I have only seen mid tier PCs here. Nothing crazy. Laptops don't count as strong btw. They are limited in cooling.
    3. I did read it. However I also explained why your PC is actually less capable than you think for TW. It's fine for most things just not TW. Don't get offended so easily. I'm not insulting you.
    4. You have a FX CPU and you are worried about cooling a new CPU? That's funny. FX CPUs guzzle power and are horribly hot. If you did research on what I suggested you'd know the two CPUs I recommended are cooler and consume less power. While being faster. Again don't take everything so personally.
    5. SSDs are massive for this game yes. It won't help turn times but everything else benefits.
    6. Window 10 is free. It has been free since day 1. Software is just as important as hardware. Terrible software means terrible hardware.
    7. Ddr4 is over priced. So is DDR3 to a lesser extent. It's still worth it. You could easily sell your CPU/board/memory and get a new setup without spending more.
    8. No Shadows is hardly noticeable. It also gives a massive performance increase. I'm giving you advice you asked for. Don't like it then don't ask or make a thread about performance.

I recommend you don't get offended so easily and actually be a decent person who doesn't go from 0-100 in one post.
    Shadows are not optimized very well. You get massive increases. I've done more testing than you. On multiple PCs and configurations. Stuttering is not equal to FPS. Do not confuse the two.

Somebody is angry.

1. I gave the suggestion because you'd be surprised how often I have to do this for people. It's a simple fix that many people don't know.
    2. I have only seen mid tier PCs here. Nothing crazy. Laptops don't count as strong btw. They are limited in cooling.
    3. I did read it. However I also explained why your PC is actually less capable than you think for TW. It's fine for most things just not TW. Don't get offended so easily. I'm not insulting you.
    4. You have a FX CPU and you are worried about cooling a new CPU? That's funny. FX CPUs guzzle power and are horribly hot. If you did research on what I suggested you'd know the two CPUs I recommended are cooler and consume less power. While being faster. Again don't take everything so personally.
    5. SSDs are massive for this game yes. It won't help turn times but everything else benefits.
    6. Window 10 is free. It has been free since day 1. Software is just as important as hardware. Terrible software means terrible hardware.
    7. Ddr4 is over priced. So is DDR3 to a lesser extent. It's still worth it. You could easily sell your CPU/board/memory and get a new setup without spending more.
    8. No Shadows is hardly noticeable. It also gives a massive performance increase. I'm giving you advice you asked for. Don't like it then don't ask or make a thread about performance.

I recommend you don't get offended so easily and actually be a decent person who doesn't go from 0-100 in one post.
    Shadows are not optimized very well. You get massive increases. I've done more testing than you. On multiple PCs and configurations. Stuttering is not equal to FPS. Do not confuse the two.

Hey, You seem to know your stuff so let me ask..

I have an I5 6600k (overclocked to 4.4) , Gtx 980ti 6gb and 8 go ddr4 ram.

Will another 8gb ram make any real difference other than like 5 FPS max?
    And for CPU, what’s a good one to go for it I wanna upgrade? I can sell my i5 for a few hundred after as it’s only a year old, so that will mitigate the cost.
    Razmirth said:

Somebody is angry.

And for CPU, what’s a good one to go for it I wanna upgrade? I can sell my i5 for a few hundred after as it’s only a year old, so that will mitigate the cost.
    Your 6600k is fine. You could get a faster CPU true but will it be worth the money? I don't believe so. But that's my opinion. You may think so. Only thing you should consider is the i7 8700k 6Core CPU if you absolutely feel like you should upgrade. But if you do this you need a new board too.

As for memory it won't help much. But it will allow you to do more with your system. I would recommend at least 16GB nowadays. I've seen plenty of AAA games lately hit 10GB of system memory. If you have 8 it will still run but you may get crashes with a Window error about lack of memory.
    Razmirth said:

Somebody is angry.

RAM no. Upgrading to i7 might help. If I remember, for game 1, there's good scaling with hyperthreading conoared to previous games. Couldn't find the benchmark for game 2 yet though.
    LestaT said:

Razmirth said:

Somebody is angry.

RAM no. Upgrading to i7 might help. If I remember, for game 1, there's good scaling with hyperthreading conoared to previous games. Couldn't find the benchmark for game 2 yet though.
    It isn't that great of an improvement. It's a small measurable one but worth the extra money he would need to spend? Probably not. But the 8700k with it's more physical cores is the fastest gaming cpu on the market.
  • KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 1,378

Somebody is angry.

I agree with neverbackdown except for his laptop comment (If you are a smart laptop user you can keep your laptop at a decent temperature, mine went above 75 degrees Celsius while playing WH2 on Medium-High)

Your processor is really the big issue, you have below recommended but you are trying to run on high as well. Bad combo either way you put it.
  • LayzanLayzan Registered Users Posts: 1,012
    edited December 2017
    WH1 ran great on ultra settings. Campaign map was smooth and I had no issues at all.

ME campaign map is noticeably worse. Doesn't seem to matter what setting I use and their recommended option makes the game look like junk. I'm noticing even when I say move a lord or agent it's not smooth. The campaign map goes from ok to stuttering, it's just not good. A few nights back I saw how bad units jitter in battle when the camera is zoomed in.
  • LordTorquemadoLordTorquemado Registered Users Posts: 1,398
    My only problem is in the quest battles, when sometimes it breaks the game to the desktop, and always I have the problem, in such quest battles, that I can't use some of the buttons of down (it only happens in quest battles).
    "You stumble about in darkness. There is no light here, no mercy. Naggarond has claimed the souls of better heroes than you."

Somebody is angry.

i googled about win10 .. i thought it WAS free. It isnt anymore, but i found "legal tricks to still get win10" on win7/8.1 free.
    converting.. Dont know if i can still use it.. dont know if it will work. I am afraid that i will mess up something.

i googled the two processors that you have mentioned. im confused. I readed that they only have 3,2 instead of my 3,5 GHZ and only have 4 / 6 cores instead of my 8.
    Did i read something wrong? / googled wrong?

All that is so confusing for me.
    I also want to clearify that i created this thread to make CA aware of the bad optimization of thr game.

Many Users are having strange performance problems - the PC is not the reason for this.

i now understand that i cant keep super stable fps because my processor is not soo good at handling this game. I played yesterday and i was okay with it- expect the terrible looking battle terrain

BUT
    it does not explain badFPSareas on the campaign map.
    it does not explain that BATTLE Terrain details setting is causing heavy stuttering in areas on CAMPAIGN map.
    It does not explain all that problems which were mentioned in this thread by other users than me.

i will buy a SSD and perhaps a new processor some day- but it will never solve this problems.

Things like this terrain setting stuttering stuff are not understandable. terrain is A a battle graphic option and B details are GPU bound. And my GPU can handle high settings.
    and: terrain settings have no visual impact on campaign map.Because its a battle setting.

And my battle performance was not improved by setting terrain details to mid. Sadly

CA should fix stuff like that. If CA dont care about optimizing, well say hello to the pyramids of stuttering.
    DLC will break the performance, like wh1 DLC did.

i dont want this to happen. Check out Support area performance WH1. Its still not fixed. It will never be.
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 838
    OP, I almost have the same PC that you have.

I play in ultra settings. I had problems in WH1, shadows dissapearing when I move the camera, 17 FPS in the middle of the fight even 1 army versus army.

These issues got fixed in WH2, 40 fps in the middle of the fight, 28 fps when 2 army vs 1 for example. The shadows are soft but they do not dissapear.

I got an improvement. The thing I hate is:

- 1 FPS in turns rotation between the AI.
    - Shadows are messing when the camera is near the horizon....you almost have to put the camera 80° to the ground to see the full shadow
  • SniperBob177SniperBob177 Registered Users Posts: 323
    I've noticed a drop in performance in TWW2 doing the testing etc.

One thing I do get a lot of is screen tear on the campaign map, especially when moving around quickly.

Everything else seems fine (1070)
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Registered Users Posts: 2,370
    I have an i76700 and a TX 970, still not enough to run this game great OP so I feel our pain but the bottom line is u just have to update. CA won't change anything. My problem is I mod extra gore and make it stay on the ground and not disappear and this is a huge ups killer. Why cant they pit extra work in and just make blood not disappear without breaking the **** game? Its immersion breaking for me to have blood and gore dlc disappear from terrain EVEN ON ULTRA in like 10 seconds. So stupid. So god forbid you want blood OP, I turn shadows off to have my blood and I STILL lose like 10 ups maybe 15 by mid or end of the battle. Really? Blood dlc kills my performance? Sigh
  • JadawinKhanidiJadawinKhanidi Registered Users Posts: 1,174
    On my mid-tier system the game runs great.

System: Core i5, GTX 1060 6GB, 16 GB RAM.

First played it in 1080p, all settings maxed out, constant 60 fps, never any lag.

A week ago I bought a new monitor and now I'm playing in [email protected] Hz. Benchmarks showed only ~30 fps with maxed out settings, and although it didn't actually feel laggy I went down to 'high' settings. Can't really see a difference and game is again super smooth. Fps in the ~45 range but I don't obsess about that, in any case it feels smooth and no noticable lag.

So the problems some people have are not that the game just has high specs... must have other causes.

Generally speaking I don't think it's a good idea to mix AMD cpu and nvidia GPU or Intel and Radeon. Always buy both components from the same manufacturer, so intel+nvidia or AMD+Radeon. Personally I don't buy AMD/Radeon anymore because although most of the time there are no problems, IF there are any compatibility issues with something they always affect AMD/Radeon while Intel/nvidia work fine.
  • LayzanLayzan Registered Users Posts: 1,012
    Within the support section many with way better specs than I are having issues. Like some here within this thread.

When they explain what's happening to them it seems that even with the latest cards, processors and 16 ram, they still have the same issues.
    Well, TWW2 specs;

Recommended Specifications

Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Install size: 60 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB @ 1080p

Many of us meeting or exceed these specs by a lot. For me I could do with another 8gb of ddr4 ram, but what will that net me? Extra 5 FPS for 80-100 bucks? That’s a bit of cash for such a minor gain. That being said, 16 gb can’t hurt.

As discussed in this forum, I was thinking about upgrading my CPU but what’s the point...I see people with top of the line I7 processors and still struggle to run this game on 40v40 battles.

So the question becomes do you wanna spend 500-600 bucks for a new processor...plus like others said u may need to upgrade your MOBO at that point as well. So that’s another 200 bucks....so expensive.

I have an i76700 and a TX 970, still not enough to run this game great OP so I feel our pain but the bottom line is u just have to update. CA won't change anything. My problem is I mod extra gore and make it stay on the ground and not disappear and this is a huge ups killer. Why cant they pit extra work in and just make blood not disappear without breaking the **** game? Its immersion breaking for me to have blood and gore dlc disappear from terrain EVEN ON ULTRA in like 10 seconds. So stupid. So god forbid you want blood OP, I turn shadows off to have my blood and I STILL lose like 10 ups maybe 15 by mid or end of the battle. Really? Blood dlc kills my performance? Sigh

no no, CA HAVE to change something. because thinks like that terrain detail stuff are not tied to my hardware. its just... the game. the engine. a bug. i don't know.
    ohhh blood yea, blood can be a FPS killer, especially when using this mod. you wonder why CA doesnt make blood permanent? because the engine cant handle it, as you can see.

OP, I almost have the same PC that you have.

I play in ultra settings. I had problems in WH1, shadows dissapearing when I move the camera, 17 FPS in the middle of the fight even 1 army versus army.

These issues got fixed in WH2, 40 fps in the middle of the fight, 28 fps when 2 army vs 1 for example. The shadows are soft but they do not dissapear.

I got an improvement. The thing I hate is:

- 1 FPS in turns rotation between the AI.
    - Shadows are messing when the camera is near the horizon....you almost have to put the camera 80° to the ground to see the full shadow

wh1's performance was so bad because of DLC breaked it somehow. it could happen again.....

On my mid-tier system the game runs great.

System: Core i5, GTX 1060 6GB, 16 GB RAM.

First played it in 1080p, all settings maxed out, constant 60 fps, never any lag.

A week ago I bought a new monitor and now I'm playing in [email protected] Hz. Benchmarks showed only ~30 fps with maxed out settings, and although it didn't actually feel laggy I went down to 'high' settings. Can't really see a difference and game is again super smooth. Fps in the ~45 range but I don't obsess about that, in any case it feels smooth and no noticable lag.

So the problems some people have are not that the game just has high specs... must have other causes.

Generally speaking I don't think it's a good idea to mix AMD cpu and nvidia GPU or Intel and Radeon. Always buy both components from the same manufacturer, so intel+nvidia or AMD+Radeon. Personally I don't buy AMD/Radeon anymore because although most of the time there are no problems, IF there are any compatibility issues with something they always affect AMD/Radeon while Intel/nvidia work fine.

oomg. i think i know why its still smooth- does your monitor have G-SYNC? I readed something about it. it makes it smooth even if you have not high stable FPS. but it costs more money.

and i'm wonder if that mixing is really relevant. do you have any proof?

@Razmirth
    @Layzan

exactly, that is really confusing. and of course it does not make any sense to spend SOO much money to gain.. 3 fps in SOME cases?

I think we are facing a major problem here- when somebody is pointing out performance issues, EVERYTIME people say "ITS YOUR PC!" - as I said, i now understand why i can't keep super stable FPS. my CPU is not sooo good (@NeverBackDown http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-1600-vs-AMD-FX-8320/3919vs1983 i don't know why- but you were totally right. i really don't know why lol- i think i have no idea about CPUs. the CPUs that you have mentioned aren't even THAT expensive. thanks for mentioning them. )

BUT, a lot of people including users that have responded here are having GOOD pcs and having issues, that can't be tied to their Hardware.
    terrain BATTLE settings. are causing CAMPAIGN lag. isnt that a little bit.. strange? lol.

CA should know about that optimization problems and should fix them. you can buy the best PC of the world, these problems will still exist.
    that vampire corpse cart thing, hell, i did notice it, after i looked into it.

before someone is denying the existence of issues like that, that person should be A looking into it, because perhaps it wasnt noticed before or B it could be that only some users have this problem. for example: only nvidia users are having X problem.

If there are people who come into these threads and crying "EVERYTHING IS FINE! ITS YOUR FAULT!" without any logically explaining then CA will not notice these problems and never fix them. like it happened in wh1.

not stable FPS -> yea, my fault
    terrain detail stuff -> not my fault
    corpse cart VC drop -> not my fault