Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Performance in WARHAMMER 2 ... am I the only one who is really annoyed by it?

2»

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,275Registered Users
    Holy **** OP, what's wrong with the engine is that your processor is ****.

You can't run the game with a really bad 5 year old processor, and it was a really bad processor even 5 years ago, and expect something like this to run well.

My even older i5 2500K, a 6 year old mid range processor, is 40% faster at single core tasks. DX11 is only using one core. Piledriver, while being hilariously slow compared to Intel chips of it's time, also suffers from crippling limitations to it's "8 core" marketing gimmick, which can actually slow it down further when other tasks are utilizing the other paired core and stealing needed resources from that main graphics thread.

I have issues with their minimum and recommended settings, but this is a pretty normal thing. People that shouldn't, have legitimate beefs as a result of them, the idea of actually running Warhammer, even the first game, on a core 2 Duo, with a GTX 460, is laughable. You could load it up, but it sure as **** wouldn't be playable. The recommended are much better, but still only gets you smooth gameplay if you play with minimal graphics settings.
    You have to do serious damage to the visuals to offset the terrible inadequacy of a 770 to do anything resembling justice to the engine with no extra ram to actually load the textures.

You seriously need to upgrade, and do better shopping when you buy your computer to start with. Bulldozer and piledriver were terrible processors when they were made.
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Posts: 131Registered Users
    psychoak said:

You can't run the game with a really bad 5 year old processor, and it was a really bad processor even 5 years ago, and expect something like this to run well.

My even older i5 2500K, a 6 year old mid range processor, is 40% faster at single core tasks. DX11 is only using one core. Piledriver, while being hilariously slow compared to Intel chips of it's time, also suffers from crippling limitations to it's "8 core" marketing gimmick, which can actually slow it down further when other tasks are utilizing the other paired core and stealing needed resources from that main graphics thread.

I have issues with their minimum and recommended settings, but this is a pretty normal thing. People that shouldn't, have legitimate beefs as a result of them, the idea of actually running Warhammer, even the first game, on a core 2 Duo, with a GTX 460, is laughable. You could load it up, but it sure as **** wouldn't be playable. The recommended are much better, but still only gets you smooth gameplay if you play with minimal graphics settings.
    You have to do serious damage to the visuals to offset the terrible inadequacy of a 770 to do anything resembling justice to the engine with no extra ram to actually load the textures.

You seriously need to upgrade, and do better shopping when you buy your computer to start with. Bulldozer and piledriver were terrible processors when they were made.

i said that time and time again, i KNOW, that my CPU is not the best and i cant run super stable FPS. its enough now. Read what i wrote, read the responses and my last response.

One day, i will upgrade. one day. money is not growing on trees.

BUT don't ignore the main problem which this thread is supposed to show.
    things like corpse cart lag and terrain detail campaign stuttering.
    things, that ARENT tied to the hardware.
    things, that CA have to see and fix. at least try it ._.

I repeat it so many times. just read and understand. the discussion about my CPU is over. this was not the main thing in this thread.

but about that minimum & recommended stuff, yea, i never read these. they just arent true.
    i wonder what PC have CA to test the game. really.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,817Registered Users
    edited December 2017

psychoak said:

i said that time and time again, i KNOW, that my CPU is not the best and i cant run super stable FPS. its enough now. Read what i wrote, read the responses and my last response.

I repeat it so many times. just read and understand. the discussion about my CPU is over. this was not the main thing in this thread.

but about that minimum & recommended stuff, yea, i never read these. they just arent true.
    This discussion is relevant.

You cannot talk about bad performance but completely ignore your hardware.
    That's like trying to build a stone wall without stone.

Even at 720p you should be having no problems. The fact you are having issues is beyond the game. You are picking out such little details in "bad performance" that even animations are slow. Which makes no sense.

There are 2 possibilites here for your bad performance.

Your GPU is probably dying. Could be over heating, filled with dust, memory going bad, etc.
    OR your system is running out of memory and is trying to pagefile, which is super slow and cause stutterness even if your performance is high. Which means you need more memory on either your system or GPU. Your GPU has 3.5GB of memory with a pretty slow 512MB reserve, there was a lawsuit about it, google it for more details. That could be a problem, but at 720p I highly doubt it.

Which leads me to believe its' your memory. Now you have 16GB which is more than enough, but if your pagefile is small or off, try setting it to 4GB. This shouldn't be an issue, but I know some games even if they don't need it run poorly, like Skyrim used to. So try doing that. This game doesn't have any performance issues with any system I've tried with pagefiles off, but in your particular system you may just have a need for it.

Again I don't think it's the pagefile. Worth a try.

Have a monitor software like MSI Afterburner on for me. Have it read everything in the hardware monitor window.
    Load into the game, campaign, sit there for about 10 seconds, then go to a spot where you know you have bad performance. Don't do anything, wait a few seconds, then alt tab and look at the Hardware Monitor Window and report back what the CPU usage is like. If you notice only Core 0 is maxed and nothing else, that's your problem. The CPU. If multiple cores are being used not at 100%, then it's something else.
    If it's something else right click in the window and hit clear history.

After doing that, do the same thing in a battle. Just do a custom one. Just get both armies 20v20 and wait till they start fighting. Once they do pause the game, go back into the Monitor Window, check the CPU again. If it seems fine look at your GPU, is the core clock stable or is it falling off a lot? About 50mhz is normal, but if it goes for example 1500mhz to 1000mhz, etc, then the GPU is the problem.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,817Registered Users
    Forgot to mention for the GPU.

If you end up checking the GPU look at it's memory usage. If it's 3.5GB you may have a problem and that would be it's having to pagefile and causing issues.
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,094Registered Users
    I'm terribly annoyed by it. Especially the messed up graphic filter that sometimes gives my units strange auras around their edges, and staticky shadow filtering. I mean, I have a gtx1070, I shouldn't be seeing this crap. I'm also annoyed about the game crashes I had since ME's launch, but the beta for the new reprisal update thankfully helped with those.

Honestly, the worst experience I've had since Empire Total War.
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Posts: 131Registered Users

psychoak said:

This discussion is relevant.

You cannot talk about bad performance but completely ignore your hardware.
    That's like trying to build a stone wall without stone.

Even at 720p you should be having no problems. The fact you are having issues is beyond the game. You are picking out such little details in "bad performance" that even animations are slow. Which makes no sense.

There are 2 possibilites here for your bad performance.

Your GPU is probably dying. Could be over heating, filled with dust, memory going bad, etc.
    OR your system is running out of memory and is trying to pagefile, which is super slow and cause stutterness even if your performance is high. Which means you need more memory on either your system or GPU. Your GPU has 3.5GB of memory with a pretty slow 512MB reserve, there was a lawsuit about it, google it for more details. That could be a problem, but at 720p I highly doubt it.

Which leads me to believe its' your memory. Now you have 16GB which is more than enough, but if your pagefile is small or off, try setting it to 4GB. This shouldn't be an issue, but I know some games even if they don't need it run poorly, like Skyrim used to. So try doing that. This game doesn't have any performance issues with any system I've tried with pagefiles off, but in your particular system you may just have a need for it.

Again I don't think it's the pagefile. Worth a try.

Have a monitor software like MSI Afterburner on for me. Have it read everything in the hardware monitor window.
    Load into the game, campaign, sit there for about 10 seconds, then go to a spot where you know you have bad performance. Don't do anything, wait a few seconds, then alt tab and look at the Hardware Monitor Window and report back what the CPU usage is like. If you notice only Core 0 is maxed and nothing else, that's your problem. The CPU. If multiple cores are being used not at 100%, then it's something else.
    If it's something else right click in the window and hit clear history.

After doing that, do the same thing in a battle. Just do a custom one. Just get both armies 20v20 and wait till they start fighting. Once they do pause the game, go back into the Monitor Window, check the CPU again. If it seems fine look at your GPU, is the core clock stable or is it falling off a lot? About 50mhz is normal, but if it goes for example 1500mhz to 1000mhz, etc, then the GPU is the problem.
    no, its not relevant because i already GOT IT. seriously, i'm getting annoyed by this. are you trolling me or something?
    you calling that stuttering caused by terrain details and all the other issues that people can PROOF SMALL?
    what in the hell? seriously, no wonder why CA is not doing anything when people like you try to shut people like me down.

I am no longer talking about generally unstable FPS! i am talking about bad FPS areas on CAMPAIGN that stutter if BATTLE terrain details are set high! (did you even read it, hm? BATTLE setting... causing issues in.. CAMPAIGN.. isn't here something wrong? CA is describing every option if its campaign or battle bound- or both. )
    and all the other people are talking about other specific issues that cannot be explained by your "blah blah its just you blah blah"
    you didn't notice all that? fine. you dont want to look into it? fine. but dont call us liars.

this thread is not a hardware help thread. I'm appreciate the tips that were given to me / to everyone who is reading this, its helpful, but this aggressive like denying issues and calling us liars indirectly.. enough is not enough. and about MY hardware.. its NOT even the topic. (explain to me why my CPU should run the game worse in whisenland than in middenland. come on, did you even read it? omg i'm sick of it really.)

you cant deny that this game and this engine has problems. you just cant.
    its like denying that vampire counts cant normally raise dead outside the old world. or that wurrzag can't build his wild orc camp. or that beastmen & chaos replenishment is bugged.

and this is the end of this discussion about MY hardware. my intention was to make aware of performance problems in this game, to give people a thread where they can discuss this issues. and not discuss my PC.

i know that not every performance issue is engine/game bound, but this is a discussion thread to looking into it and try to explain it logically to found out what is hardware bound, ant what is game bound. and i said it time and time again, why this specific case is not logically, and it is a problem caused by the game itself.

btw, why are you ignoring the other people in this thread? only because i created this thread i'm not the center of it. i'm just the creator. the first with this idea. it could have been someone else. it doesent matter.

if you, or anybody try to troll me or start that again i will report it. for trolling and being off topic. than, it will be a problem of the moderation team.
    I'm trying to make my part of making the game better, giving people space to discuss that stuff and looking into it, and i'm getting trolled to hell. really good job.
    and i will no longer respond to any of this sort of posts. don't feed the trolls is a sentence that will never be outdated.

• LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,269Registered Users
    There's could be memory leaks on some set ups as it's not entirely hardware related but could caused by softwares and othe things running on the background.

That's why it's important to post the dxdiag especially in the a
    related support forum so that details can be gathered, replicate and fixed. Without being able to reolicate, it's almost impossible to figure the cause which may take longer to fix without breaking other stuffs.

In the support forum, you can see that some high end hardware users not getting their supposed performance due to the GPU not running on the supposed 16x but only 2x.

So, again it's more important to give dxdiag info and other required infos rather than just posting 'I got i5, i7, i9 bla bla bla with GTX 1080, 2080, 3080 bla bla bla' as no hardware is the same taking other stuff i the background.
  • LayzanLayzan Posts: 917Registered Users
    I just don't get how so many really good rigs are having issues?

• KronusXKronusX Posts: 1,358Registered Users

psychoak said:

Walls off text

You do know that if you wanted those types of threads you could have made it in the support section, right? As for the folks having issues, it can be anything from outdated drives, them not using SSD, their hardware is full with only 10 GB space left, too many things running in the same time, etc.
    KronusX said:

psychoak said:

Walls off text

You do know that if you wanted those types of threads you could have made it in the support section, right? As for the folks having issues, it can be anything from outdated drives, them not using SSD, their hardware is full with only 10 GB space left, too many things running in the same time, etc.

• FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    Layzan said:

Cuz its shittily optimized. Bottom line. And its somehow inconsistent. Some people say they have issues, some say they don't. Makes no sense.
  • zspianozspiano Junior Member Posts: 371Registered Users
    edited December 2017

My 4770K+980TI+8Gb ram+SSD run perfectly well in all ultra setting with 4X AA in DX 11 but only without SSAO and screen space reflection.

Guess your cpu got bottleneck.
    Could check this pic out to switch your setting down or off to enhance performance.
    Post edited by zspiano on
    zspiano said:

4770K+980TI+8Gb+SSD run perfectly well in all ultra setting with 4X AA in DX 11 but only without SSAO and screen space reflection.

Guess your cpu got bottleneck.
    Could check this pic out to switch your setting down or off to enhance performance.

Cheers for that picture, will have to update my settings based on that. I'm running a 4770 HQ with GeForce 1050 ti 4GB+16 gb+HDD, but I'm sure I could pull decent results regardless if I adjust settings (it's a laptop)
  • HuntingDogHuntingDog Senior Member Posts: 1,470Registered Users
    Some people say they have issues, some say they don't. Makes no sense.
    In my experience that primarily depends on peoples framerate expectations. Some people want 100fps and anything below 60fps is completely inacceptable, many others are happy with 30fps and especially laptop users are often satisfied with 20fps.

Also, some existing performance problems are related to specific races (e.g. corps-cart SFX, skaven with large unit count, ...) and not all people have encountered them yet.

Btw, don't use any MSAA in WH2.

MSAAx4 doesn't really look better than FXAA (WH2 version of FXAA is pretty good with almost no softening like in earlier versions) but costs a ton more performance.

Here is a thread with FXAA/MSAA comparison images (in the middle of the thread):
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/202086/bug-anti-aliasing-options-fxaa-8x-settings-fps-performance-drop
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,269Registered Users

Some people say they have issues, some say they don't. Makes no sense.
    In my experience that primarily depends on peoples framerate expectations. Some people want 100fps and anything below 60fps is completely inacceptable, many others are happy with 30fps and especially laptop users are often satisfied with 20fps.

Also, some existing performance problems are related to specific races (e.g. corps-cart SFX, skaven with large unit count, ...) and not all people have encountered them yet.

Btw, don't use any MSAA in WH2.

MSAAx4 doesn't really look better than FXAA (WH2 version of FXAA is pretty good with almost no softening like in earlier versions) but costs a ton more performance.

Here is a thread with FXAA/MSAA comparison images (in the middle of the thread):
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/202086/bug-anti-aliasing-options-fxaa-8x-settings-fps-performance-drop

True. When Warhammer 2 first came out, even the average foa is liwer than Warhammer 1 the game is smoother with no dips or spikes in gaming. It hapoened post ME add ons, both for the ME map and the Vortex map.

As long as the game runs well, with no dips and spikes, and as long as can run around 25 fps at minimum, the gane is very much playable.

• JadawinKhanidiJadawinKhanidi Posts: 763Registered Users

On my mid-tier system the game runs great.

System: Core i5, GTX 1060 6GB, 16 GB RAM.

First played it in 1080p, all settings maxed out, constant 60 fps, never any lag.

A week ago I bought a new monitor and now I'm playing in [email protected] Hz. Benchmarks showed only ~30 fps with maxed out settings, and although it didn't actually feel laggy I went down to 'high' settings. Can't really see a difference and game is again super smooth. Fps in the ~45 range but I don't obsess about that, in any case it feels smooth and no noticable lag.

So the problems some people have are not that the game just has high specs... must have other causes.

Generally speaking I don't think it's a good idea to mix AMD cpu and nvidia GPU or Intel and Radeon. Always buy both components from the same manufacturer, so intel+nvidia or AMD+Radeon. Personally I don't buy AMD/Radeon anymore because although most of the time there are no problems, IF there are any compatibility issues with something they always affect AMD/Radeon while Intel/nvidia work fine.

oomg. i think i know why its still smooth- does your monitor have G-SYNC? I readed something about it. it makes it smooth even if you have not high stable FPS. but it costs more money.

and i'm wonder if that mixing is really relevant. do you have any proof?
    Nope, just fuzzy personal experience. But it kinda makes sense. Manufacturers will always put emphasis on making their products work best with their other products, not with products from another manufacturer. Not as an evil conspiracy, it's just natural that e.g. nvidia will test their new i7 cpu with their new GTX card first and foremost and only then look that it's also performing well with a Radeon card. So most of the time both will be fine, but in those cases were compatibility issues arise, it's more likely with a product from a competitor.

About my monitor, no it does not have g-sync. It's just a regular 2k monitor. And I play with v-sync on because I hate screen tearing. Without v-sync it might even run faster.

As others have pointed out, your cpu is 3 years older and 33% slower than mine. Considering that even in my system the cpu is the weak link, that's probably the reason for your troubles, whether you want to hear it or not...

And why are you using a sh*tty old Windows 8.1 when Microsoft offered you Windows 10 for free?
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,625Registered Users
    Performance has gone down, ive noticed it alot.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,307Registered Users
    edited December 2017

Layzan said:

Cuz its shittily optimized. Bottom line. And its somehow inconsistent. Some people say they have issues, some say they don't. Makes no sense.
    It makes sense if you know how careless most people are about the handling of their rigs, like putting them in enclosed spaces until they cook themselves to death or surfing the web without any sort of ad- or scriptblocker which means runtime-eating malware piling up galore.

This game ain't "**** optimized".
    Post edited by dge1 on