Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: WARHAMMER II - Development Update

Comments

• DarkLordOfDarknessDarkLordOfDarkness Posts: 206Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Well, first I was dissapointed about the whole ''what's new for warhammer II '' thread but this is a little better. Norsca could come winter, but we get tomb kings cryptic news this week.

Edit: Ok, I misreaded this. NOTHING between January and May?! It's cruel
  • GimpalageGimpalage Posts: 11Registered Users
    Well I can't imagine how much overtime went into trying to refit the WH1 objects to work for Norsca before throwing in the towel. As a developer myself for the past 18 years the idea of a merge issue makes me put on my brown pants especially at the number of branches being tossed about.

A May deadline suggests to me that the base rework is only just been started as I would guess that to be a 6 month project scope, but hopefully this gives some guidelines for when WH3 comes out so there won't be such a colossal code base issue.

Good luck to the overstressed dev's while the design team laughs at the fact they don't intend to do anything until 1 month before release which will then force you to quickly rework everything again - just for some new "shiny screen candy"

BTW - when is the "news before the end of the year" for the Linux version of WH2 since that work is normally outsourced?
  • xXAlduin99xXAlduin99 Posts: 134Registered Users
    please do not release tomb kings on the last day of january...
    i can remember bretonnia... febuary...
    meh.
  • FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Posts: 1,629Registered Users
    I’m unsure if I should put down my pitch fork or raise it higher
  • SchorschSchorsch Posts: 94Registered Users
    norsca preoder bonus for game 3 confirmed XD

• FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 1,064Registered Users
    Wisdom is accumulated through experience of failure. Both games are still great as separate campaigns, have a good holiday break guys, thanks for the information.

Merry Christmas.
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Posts: 3,607Registered Users
    Thanks for the update, wasn't expecting Tomb Kings so early and I've played a playthrough of Norsca already. So this is all good news to me!

Curious about the new game mode as well. Maybe something along the line of a Ironman playthrough? Curious now!
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • FlyingWarPigWithPawsFlyingWarPigWithPaws Posts: 730Registered Users
    It feels so good to just get an honest statement without any PR bs. I personally cant be mad at someone who screws up, admits it and promises to fix it.

Especially nowadays, when every other company tries to hide their screwups.
    Ungrim is no longer homesick.
  • Blueeyesgirl3Blueeyesgirl3 Posts: 285Registered Users
    I really appreciate the update, CA. Kind of sad that Norsca isn't coming until my birthday, but I can live with that wait especially if the DLC keeps coming, which it seems like it is :D It's also interesting to see some insight into how you guys bring the games together, I love learning about this stuff.

There's enough stuff in Warhammer 2 as is to keep me busy for a very long time, and with the DLC on top of that I bet I'll still be getting through it all in May. Thank you for all the hard work you guys do - everyone makes mistakes, and sure it was a big one, but you've admitted that and you're working on coming back from it. Most companies wouldn't even talk about this stuff and would just keep us in the dark forever.

I know that I've been nagging pretty hard about some of the bugs in the game but I really do appreciate how hard you guys work to fix them on top of everything else. Keep doing what you're doing!
    Team Lizardmen
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Posts: 874Registered Users
    I just hope that the new game mode won't be multiplayer. I never bother with it.
  • AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Posts: 4,372Registered Users

Kranox said:

Rustedyba said:

So CA you are leaving broken game till May and try to sell other games instead. THANK YOU !

.. the game is not broken till may calm down pls... there is an update un a week and stuff will be patch only norsca is missing
    You forgot the RoR... you may play only campain, but the MP is actually a disaster.
    Actually mostly play MP... and its great exept empire and bret that are UP...

But on a positive note the strongest factions from warhammer 1 are the onle without ROR like beastmen and Wood elves... exept chaos but chaos is ok

Kranox said:

Krabbz said:

CA_Whelan said:

Where is 30th anniversary regiments of renown..??

The 30th regiments will come along with Norsca
    That's a joke...

TW:WH2 is a fail.
    I haven't played the ME campaign considering how bad and shallow it is compared to what you promised. And I barely played the Vortex campaign since the only thing I want is ME.
    And now I learn that I won't be playing it until at least May...

No more preorder, no more instabuy DLC. I'll get it cheaper with unofficial sellers.
    I'm done supporting this ****.
    Wjat are you talking about? Srly ?

People are overreacting so much its crazy...

Arly its one faction that is delayed, ME is out and Reprisal will arrive in a week or so the only thing that is missing is norcsa and Ror... srly that not a lot if only this makes you sad and frustrated you must have a sad life

Bug fixes are comming its ONLY Norsca

1 SINGLE RACE
    Delayed? You read the correct blogpost right? But my payment for the game wasn´t "delayed"... so if you´re fine with that, your problem... but accept that there are some guys having problems with that.
    The game is there ... dont know what you are talking about, there is like 5 dollars that has been delayed and are still playable in warhammer 1

• ZerglesZergles Member Posts: 3,011Registered Users
    Well. I understand now. I'm not a game dev, nor am I a computer programmer. But I do understand the business side of this (and I assume it runs right alongside the issues the devs cane across.)

You can't just go for the next 4-5 months without any new content, and you can't go without and *paid for* content. So the order in which you guys are doing things makes perfect sense to me.

Sure. It's sad that Norsca osn't here yet and I had the same complaint others had if "I only got to play them for a few months before game two, why can't you just..." blahblah. But I get it. I never really thought about it but I can't really argue with the idea that simply porting Norsca into an entirely new game, even if it's the sane basic premise, could cause issues. And the only other reason to say that is if CA is just lying to us...but they have no real reason to do that since they admit to screwing up in the first place. Which is fine. Everyone screws something up eventually.
    Rustedyba said:

Kranox said:

Rustedyba said:

So CA you are leaving broken game till May and try to sell other games instead. THANK YOU !

.. the game is not broken till may calm down pls... there is an update un a week and stuff will be patch only norsca is missing
    ME is broken. Have you reached to Chaos Invasion moment? Current mechanics is on poor mod level. There are also problems reversed battle difficult setting (leadership bonus), blobing etc.

I also find Vortex campaign as addition to ME and ME is not playable for me. During December we won't get any important patch. So I am done with this game till TK arrive with maybe some important bugfixes.

Resprisal update is weak and it doesn't bring much to the game (even not all factions got upgrade). It looks like cut part from bigger update.
    Its actually all foundation update exept norsca and ROR, plus bug fixes...

Srly its gonna be a week or so and ten most of the problems will be fixed, I was just saying that its not because Norsca is not there that ME is broken...

• CrazyeightCrazyeight Posts: 336Registered Users
    Kranox said:

Kranox said:

Rustedyba said:

You forgot the RoR... you may play only campain, but the MP is actually a disaster.

But on a positive note the strongest factions from warhammer 1 are the onle without ROR like beastmen and Wood elves... exept chaos but chaos is ok
    If you think MP is actually great we have huge disagreements, so it's quite useless to discuss.
  • QmotionQmotion Junior Member Posts: 238Registered Users
    Oh boy, this is going to hit some serious sales in the future. I really don't want to sound like that guy that keeps bashing CA no matter what but this is really getting ridiculous. I really hope that you understand that our patience is reaching the bottom of the sea.

First of all we are looking at dlc's getting released before actual content is fixed. The Reprisal Update is just NOT enough to fix the amount of bugs and the poor imbalanced state of ME. Dwarfs running the entire world, Surtha Ek and his infamous chariot spam, Chaos bugged, battle bugs, graphical glitches, diplomacy and most importantly old world factions feel ANCIENT compared to the new ones. Releasing a dlc like Tomb Kings before the old world is going to get updated is just going to hit the hammer even more on those factions.

Secondly, this statement feels like a joke: ''Our update methodology is to roll as many fixes into one patch as we can, and time them to coincide with new content launches, as it’s the most efficient and effective way of scheduling test-cycles, and results in higher-quality updates overall.''

I mean seriously? Let's look at the Reprisal Update for a second:

- Warriors of Chaos faction design changes

- Wood Elf followers

- New skill trees and campaign effects for Old World Legendary Lords

- 5 New skill-tree skills for Helman Ghorst (please see notes below)

- Immortality skill added to Old World characters

- Bordeleaux now begins at war with Mousillon

- Minor bugfixes

Bordeleaux starts at war with Mousillon???? Must be a joke right? What about the immortality skill for the old world characters? Took you 2 months to put that one in. The Chaos faction changes are not even a new faction yet it still took you 2 months to get that into a beta state. A BETA state. I don't even want to start about the ''minor bugfixes'' because they are the biggest joke of this patch. This is what we get after 3 months. If this is truly you're ''high-quality'' update and excuse you got for taking such a long time then i truly fear that you have a dark future of total war ahead of you with many customers leaving dissatisfied.

I mean just look at this,

December : Reprisal Update (which is honestly barely a patch)
    January : DLC???
    February: Nothing (no updates)
    March : Nothing (no updates)
    April : Nothing (no updates)
    May: Norsca......

Honestly CA, you are streched too thin. You took way more than you're plate could handle. Focus on things 1 at the time. Now you are leaving both warhammer and historical fans dissatisfied. You're support on TWWH1 was amazing. It was one of the reasons i bought the second game. But now it feels like you dumbed us into the desert with only an illusion of water on the horizon. I am not saying that you shouldn't make historical games. Ofcourse you should. But PLEASE focus on things ONE AT THE TIME.

Kranox said:

Kranox said:

Rustedyba said:

If you think MP is actually great we have huge disagreements, so it's quite useless to discuss.

In the faction balance overall, factions of warhammer 2 are stronger, for sure, but the overall balance is great except for bretonnia and empire to an extent, but there has always been low tier faction, now tables have simply turned, still I can play and Win with every single factions, and im no some kind of noob that dont know and doesnt play MP...

Explain yoir point on why its incredibly broken wsnt to see what you think

• CrazyeightCrazyeight Posts: 336Registered Users
    Kranox said:

Kranox said:

Kranox said:

Rustedyba said:

In the faction balance overall, factions of warhammer 2 are stronger, for sure, but the overall balance is great except for bretonnia and empire to an extent, but there has always been low tier faction, now tables have simply turned, still I can play and Win with every single factions, and im no some kind of noob that dont know and doesnt play MP...

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to be offensive, but I won't waste time discussing with someone who things everything's fine on MP. It's also ok, please enjoy it for yourself.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users
    See atleast if you admit a screw up I'll give you a pass.

Well the game still is great and I enjoy playing Jurassic Park vs the world

Kranox said:

Kranox said:

Kranox said:

Rustedyba said:

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to be offensive, but I won't waste time discussing with someone who things everything's fine on MP. It's also ok, please enjoy it for yourself.
    Did I say everything is fine ?

Nope, there is issues, but not as dramatic as you think and no offense

• NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,824Registered Users
    Jastall said:

I appreciate the transparency and understand that technical issues are a thing, especially with a project as ambitious as ME. But more than half a year to implement Norsca -game 2's pre-order bonus no less- is not really acceptable. To say nothing of the fact that patches seem to arrive more slowly than for WH1.

In these conditions, I'll be very hesitant to buy new DLC for WH2 until Mortal Empires is a complete package. And I certainly hope CA learns from their mistakes in the future.

Wanna back off a little? Damn
    They admitted they were wrong and learned from it. They won't make the same mistake.

People here who are critical of them are doing it because they don't fully understand the situation CA are in.

From a software development standpoint it's a right PITA keeping track of all these builds. But merging old builds with newly update and improved builds? That sounds like a nightmare to me. I may not have the most software development experience but as a programmer with some experience as an internship overseeing how development work's, I can only imagine how much hell those workers are in for. So much so they said they are working from scratch. If that alone doesn't tell you how complex games are, the fact they would rather start from scratch than to fix it. Then you'll never understand. There's a reason Game Development is amongst the most DIFFICULT software development job there is. Games are some of the most complex programs on the planet.

You can forgive them for not seeing how difficult the merger would be. Yeah you gave them money over the years yadada whatever. Doesn't change anything tbh. They are professional developers and very good ones at that as far as I can tell based off job listings and people I've talked to in the industry, if they didn't see it than I doubt most would have. They knew it would be difficult, always is, but as they said as they realized how every step the integration got more unstable and game breaking, they knew they messed up.

The only thing CA are responsible for and should be held accountable for is that they have the past year or so dropped the ball on COMMUNICATION with there community. That's their only fault. For anybody who thinks it's more, well you're opinion is yours and my experience tells me you are basing your opinion off feelings without fully understanding development.

@CA_Whelan I hope you read this. I know you're inbox and job is probably miserable right now. But just know there are a few who understand your situation. I only ask in the future you improve on communication with this community. I understand everything else you are going through and it's difficulty. I wish you guys good luck on that. Sounds like a nightmare and remember to stay in good health. Crunch time is not going to be fun.

• LudboneLudbone Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    edited December 2017

Well, first I was dissapointed about the whole ''what's new for warhammer II '' thread but this is a little better. Norsca could come winter, but we get tomb kings cryptic news this week.

What!? Nothing between Jan and May?! Oh, for ****'s sake...

FLC? Lord Packs?
    Beastmen: where is the love?

• PetromirPetromir Senior Member Posts: 2,151Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Ludbone said:

What!? Nothing between Jan and May?! Oh, for ****'s sake...

FLC? Lord Packs?
    No currently announced content for Warhammer 2 no (they are releasing the 1st of the TW Saga soon off series though).

And given the current delays on Norsca in particular are due to to many builds on the go at once perhaps that’s not a bad thing.
  • LolTHELolLolTHELol Posts: 769Registered Users
    Wow Norsca at May of 2018.

That teaches me to trust you CA, I will never pre-order again. Also yeah DLC before the pre-order bonus is just looks horrible no matter how you put it.

Also I really cannot understand why can the 30 ROR get implemented before May of 2018?

Any how time to uninstall total war warhammer 2 till Summer of 2018.
  • HondlisHondlis Junior Member Posts: 514Registered Users
    Fine... let's not be **** off by lack of communication. We got our explanation. Now let's focus on being **** off by what explanation actualy says!
  • LudboneLudbone Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    Petromir said:

Ludbone said:

What!? Nothing between Jan and May?! Oh, for f*ck's sake...

FLC? Lord Packs?
    No currently announced content for Warhammer 2 no (they are releasing the 1st of the TW Saga soon off series though).

And given the current delays on Norsca in particular are due to to many builds on the go at once perhaps that’s not a bad thing.
    "No currently announced".

I don't think that CA would give us the release date of every WH2 FLC - DLC right now.

TK date is okay 'cause...everyone wants them and obv the rage against Norsca situation.
    Beastmen: where is the love?

• RustedybaRustedyba Posts: 76Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Kranox said:

Rustedyba said:

Kranox said:

Rustedyba said:

ME is broken. Have you reached to Chaos Invasion moment? Current mechanics is on poor mod level. There are also problems reversed battle difficult setting (leadership bonus), blobing etc.

I also find Vortex campaign as addition to ME and ME is not playable for me. During December we won't get any important patch. So I am done with this game till TK arrive with maybe some important bugfixes.

Resprisal update is weak and it doesn't bring much to the game (even not all factions got upgrade). It looks like cut part from bigger update.
    Its actually all foundation update exept norsca and ROR, plus bug fixes...

Srly its gonna be a week or so and ten most of the problems will be fixed, I was just saying that its not because Norsca is not there that ME is broken...
    I see that you got it...accidentaly. No Norsca, No RoR, and such long list of bugfixes:

"(..)Bugfixes (New Content/DLC)

Added new Greenskin Exotic Animals building (squigs)"

Our only Christmas "gift" is that Resprisal update will go out from beta but you can be sure only this what is stated in changlist: so some small part of what should be done with a release of ME and one bugfix: squig building.

Really if they have such problem with Norsca they could focus on improving game by bugfixing and polishing balance and game as whole product. Instead of it we have some outdated dlc to Rome II and introduction of some Saga product that bring to mind rather mini campaign that complete game.

• StoreslemStoreslem Posts: 304Registered Users
    im a patient guy but holy cow norsca and ROR in may?
    6 MONTHS! to re-implement dare i say copy/paste?(like you said it wasn't)
    -reskinned troll
    -reskinned chaos dragon
    -reskinned giant
    -marauder spearmen
    -marauder axe thrower
    -marauder spear thrower
    -marauder champion
    marauder this maruader that, holy f that must be so time consuming really?
    it's Beyond lazy and super underwhelming and i see no reason why ROR cant be impleneted before this
  • NeoYasNeoYas Posts: 605Registered Users
    Thank you CA! :)

• RustedybaRustedyba Posts: 76Registered Users

Jastall said:

I appreciate the transparency and understand that technical issues are a thing, especially with a project as ambitious as ME. But more than half a year to implement Norsca -game 2's pre-order bonus no less- is not really acceptable. To say nothing of the fact that patches seem to arrive more slowly than for WH1.

In these conditions, I'll be very hesitant to buy new DLC for WH2 until Mortal Empires is a complete package. And I certainly hope CA learns from their mistakes in the future.

Wanna back off a little? Damn
    They admitted they were wrong and learned from it. They won't make the same mistake.

People here who are critical of them are doing it because they don't fully understand the situation CA are in.

From a software development standpoint it's a right PITA keeping track of all these builds. But merging old builds with newly update and improved builds? That sounds like a nightmare to me. I may not have the most software development experience but as a programmer with some experience as an internship overseeing how development work's, I can only imagine how much hell those workers are in for. So much so they said they are working from scratch. If that alone doesn't tell you how complex games are, the fact they would rather start from scratch than to fix it. Then you'll never understand. There's a reason Game Development is amongst the most DIFFICULT software development job there is. Games are some of the most complex programs on the planet.

You can forgive them for not seeing how difficult the merger would be. Yeah you gave them money over the years yadada whatever. Doesn't change anything tbh. They are professional developers and very good ones at that as far as I can tell based off job listings and people I've talked to in the industry, if they didn't see it than I doubt most would have. They knew it would be difficult, always is, but as they said as they realized how every step the integration got more unstable and game breaking, they knew they messed up.

The only thing CA are responsible for and should be held accountable for is that they have the past year or so dropped the ball on COMMUNICATION with there community. That's their only fault. For anybody who thinks it's more, well you're opinion is yours and my experience tells me you are basing your opinion off feelings without fully understanding development.

@CA_Whelan I hope you read this. I know you're inbox and job is probably miserable right now. But just know there are a few who understand your situation. I only ask in the future you improve on communication with this community. I understand everything else you are going through and it's difficulty. I wish you guys good luck on that. Sounds like a nightmare and remember to stay in good health. Crunch time is not going to be fun.

Yeah they learnt on mistakes from Empire Total War realising Napoleon, Rome II realising Attila, on Warhammer I and its prereleased bonus as Chaos so they seem to learn on mistakes all the time........