Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: WARHAMMER II - Development Update

Comments

• AxikusAxikus Junior Member Posts: 775Registered Users
    CA are an old, experienced company, yet they behave like they're a fresh indie dev. There's only so much "we're sorry we **** up, please bear with us" you can say.

And I don't buy that patch cycle excuse. It's a terrible model which is convenient for them, and only them.
  • DracoknightDracoknight Posts: 281Registered Users
    Axikus said:

CA are an old, experienced company, yet they behave like they're a fresh indie dev. There's only so much "we're sorry we **** up, please bear with us" you can say.

And I don't buy that patch cycle excuse. It's a terrible model which is convenient for them, and only them.

I have heard the "small team" excuse a lot too, and honestly why would they put a "small team" to one of the well known franchies out there? What did they think Warhammer was? A Obscure comic from the 80s?

CA need to stop underestimating their audience and their intelligence, this is starting to become tragic.
  • WakaWaka3000WakaWaka3000 Junior Member Posts: 452Registered Users

Axikus said:

I have heard the "small team" excuse a lot too, and honestly why would they put a "small team" to one of the well known franchies out there? What did they think Warhammer was? A Obscure comic from the 80s?

CA need to stop underestimating their audience and their intelligence, this is starting to become tragic.
    They put a small team on it because they thought the process of integration would be easy, not because they thought it would be less important.
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 4,475Registered Users
    @CA_Whelan

I would like to complain about use of language. The swearing in the piece is gratuitous and unnecessary.

CA is a role model and it is setting a very bad example. You do not need to swear in order to express a point.

They are making an FPS. Who knew a company could have a mid-life crisis ...

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,044Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    HoneyBun said:

@CA_Whelan

I would like to complain about use of language. The swearing in the piece is gratuitous and unnecessary.

CA is a role model and it is setting a very bad example. You do not need to swear in order to express a point.

...are you serious?

Can't tell if serious or trolling.

I didn't even notice any swearing.
  • Charles555ncCharles555nc Junior Member Posts: 220Registered Users
    This is what happens when you let loser neckbeards run the show.
  • DracoknightDracoknight Posts: 281Registered Users
    edited December 2017

They put a small team on it because they thought the process of integration would be easy, not because they thought it would be less important.

Honestly that make it sound even worse...

If anything i am tired and sick of these blogposts at this point where CA comes around apologizing for being bad, the last few updates been pretty much "sorry we screwed up" and theres barely anything to show for it. Even though any information is better than none its getting out of hand. You know how to avoid making posts like that? Not screwing up in the first place!

How about focusing on getting the fixes that was supposed to be brought over from Warhammer 1 first, then fix Warhammer 2 proper and then maybe consider bringing something new to the table. New content is alright and all, but whats the enjoyment in content when you shovel something shiny on a pile of muck?

Norsca being a preorder delayed this long is nothing but tragic, and the missing ROR units might not be the crisis of the world, but they did bring flavor and variance to rosters that need them dearly, and then we have the foundation update that honestly should have been there from the start and yet delayed so long.

So in the end you just have to ask: "What the **** is going on?"

Warhammer 2 have basically been a trainwreck after another, and the "shiny" Vortex campagin feel nothing but rushed. Those who defend it calling it better than "chaos stacks": Well instead of them comming automagically, you now have the choice of spawning them yourself. The reward? A Cutscene!
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Posts: 1,351Registered Users
    This was a honest post and I thank CA for that. As a developer myself, I understand the issues.

Having Norsca super polished to Warhammer 2 standards will be awesome I am sure. Can't wait to see that! And as long as we get TK in january, I am all fine with the schedule.

Team Yennefer

"A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt
  • Charles555ncCharles555nc Junior Member Posts: 220Registered Users
    Can we get a delayed refund? I really dont want anything more to do with this company, but I passed the number of hours played for a steam refund.
  • Demostenes1987Demostenes1987 Posts: 5Registered Users
    First I want to congratulate most of CA staff for the games they have made. Also, its good that the company finally answered many of the questions all fans were asking for. However, I think that it is obvious that they are not telling all the truth. The main problem is that the amount of people working on TWW II is not enough. CA has many projects, and spread their manpower into many teams working on different titles: Empire divided, Thrones of Brittania, the next historical title, Arena, Halo Wars II probably even TWW III. It's nice that the company is offering games for many people, as not all of gamers like TWW, some others prefer historical, and so on... But if you want to make so many games, you have to hire more people. And you have to do it much before starting, you have to train them at least a bit.

So, what happened here is clearly a big mistake during planning. Some big boss probably wanted to increas the profit margin and he did it in the most easy way, cutting people working in the project. Probably, he thought: come on, we already have the code, one or two people can merge it with ME in just a couple of weeks. We can send the rest o the team to work in something else, instead of hiring more people. And that is also the reason of the lack of polish of ME in general. Here, Sega may share the guilt, who knows how pushy they are respect to dates and all that.

Anyway, I hope that this huge mistake responsability is taken by the one or ones who are really resposible off, and I mean a manager, not a programmer leader or some other goat escape, and hear that that costed him his job/salary bonus/etc.
  • Ituriel32Ituriel32 Posts: 159Registered Users
    Norska and ROR in May. I really do not know how to comment so as not to use bad words.

Tombs kings in January. I hope it will be a variant with 4 legendary lords, full roster, and unique mechanics. Because if it will be another dud of the kind of a beast it can be hard.
    I also hope that there will not be a mini campaign here because it is unnecessary. I did not buy a new dlc for roma2 because it was a small campaign itself, and I do not play in such things for too long. For example, in emperor August only 10 hours, on the principle of playing a few turns of blue Romans to see Syracuse with walls.
    And in mini campaigns for the hammer1, I played only to complete the achievement and unlock the Lord. So I hope that this has definitely been overlooked.
    Rome2 - where there are walls in smaller settlements?
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,589Registered Users
    After January, no dlc until May.

Its good as long as there will be lots of new contents whenever new dlc is announced.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Posts: 731Registered Users
    Having first hand experience of merging code(estimate 1 week, actually took 15 weeks) this makes me feel better haha.

**** Happens and it's only a small part of the game, as long as they keep improving mortal empires along the way before they release Norsca then I couldn't care less. It is just a game after all.

Bring on the skelybones
  • PaulHPaulH Posts: 1,309Registered Users
    Perhaps the 30th Anniversary RoR's should get expanded a bit for May, so the DLC factions get access to the same number of RoR's as other factions. Just to compensate us for screwing up.
  • AxikusAxikus Junior Member Posts: 775Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

After January, no dlc until May.

Its good as long as there will be lots of new contents whenever new dlc is announced.

Here's what's going to happen: TK drop in January, break half the game. A hotfix is going to make it through in a week or two. From then on we'll be stuck with TK chariot spam with missing followers and broken AI behaviour until May. Hopefully, May.
  • CrazyeightCrazyeight Posts: 336Registered Users
    The most people simply don't understand that this ME problem, what I call it is just the beginning of a catastrophe. Wait and believe me there is more to come, I'm going to remember you again in a couple of months. There a so many positive "thank you for being honest", but they are going to get healed from that opinion shortly.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,660Registered Users
    I also don't care much for Norsca, or RoR's.

But the starting factions in Warhammer 2 are still horribly lacking. Some have massive holes in their rosters, a fact that has been discussed many times in this forum.

IMHO, that is what CA should be focusing on if anything, as far as adding content is concerned. That's what I at least paid for when I bought WH2. Not Norsca, nor updates to WH1 factions.
  • DancarlottaDancarlotta Junior Member Posts: 191Registered Users
    Warpstone addicted ratmen are not brave, but dey furry.
  • LordTheRonLordTheRon Posts: 16Registered Users
    A lot of people have said it before, but I’d like to chime in as well. Though there’s disappointment about these delays I have to take my hat off for the way you guys communicated this. Fully open and transparent and daring to say you screwed up. That’s something a lot of companies will never do and it is really appreciated.

Making big mistakes sucks but there’s no way of learning if you can’t make any mistakes.

So big thumbs up and keep up the good work!
  • EarlybirdEarlybird Posts: 587Registered Users

A lot of people have said it before, but I’d like to chime in as well. Though there’s disappointment about these delays I have to take my hat off for the way you guys communicated this. Fully open and transparent and daring to say you screwed up. That’s something a lot of companies will never do and it is really appreciated.

Making big mistakes sucks but there’s no way of learning if you can’t make any mistakes.

How do you know they are fully open and transparent ? You work at CA ?
    They may be well hiding other problems.
  • PaulHPaulH Posts: 1,309Registered Users
    @CA_Whelan

When are we likely to hear about the Experiment?
  • Tempus_fugitTempus_fugit Senior Member Posts: 1,268Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    PaulH said:

@CA_Whelan

Does this involve snorting ALL the warpstone dust left over from the unfortunate implosion in the devops? As your broodmother told you: Warpstone is good for you.
    There is no time but the present. – S:TW Hojo, R:TW Brutii/Germania/Alemanni(BI), Med2: Venice, S2: Oda, R2: Julia/Boii/Suebi/Lusitani, Attila: Geats/Garamantians, WH: All factions VH, Wood Elves on L. TWWH2: Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Skaven, Khalida, High Elves, Vampirates. ME: Khalida, Vampire Counts, Carcasonne
  • WoesWoes Posts: 55Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Seeing so much salty and dumb comments after a honest appology and an in depth explanation, makes me wonder if people just read the parts where they like to complain about.

To those sad people i would like to say: Do you really think your whiney non-constructive **** posts add anything other than ruining all attempts of future communication?

Post edited by BillyRuffian on
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Posts: 1,456Registered Users
    Hey awesome thank you for the update. All I wanted to know is what is happening and roughly when to expect the patches. Now I can happily start another large ME campaign.

BTW I really enjoy ME. Love how new empires appear out of those rogue armies settling areas. I really keeps the game alive.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 681Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team
    PaulH said:

@CA_Whelan

Pretty damn soon. And I'm not even talking soon™, I'm just talking soon.
  • NameAlreadyExistsNameAlreadyExists Posts: 108Registered Users
    Thank you for the blog post.

Nonetheless this is very disappointing.

In the blog is written, that your update methodology is not to roll out many small fixes. Instead you wan't to adress as many bugs as you can in a single patch. And now i look into the 'Reprisal Update beta'-changelog and see nothing more than 4 small bug fixes.

Wow...

The support section in this forum is full of bug threads. I do not say more.
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 1,935Registered Users
    Axikus said:

• ClusterNLClusterNL Posts: 18Registered Users
    Respect CA.
    This kind of honesty from a big company is greatly apreciated for me as a consumer.
    The transistion into game 3 will probably go a lot smoother now :).
    Very clear explanation as to why we havent seen any future content. The deadlines for the futute content is great to see as well.

Keep up the great work.
  • CaptainleeCaptainlee Posts: 98Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Its obvious a big part of the community on this forum has never had any experience with software development.
    Every reasonably experienced developer has had moments in his career where he underestimated the impact of a change on a product. It happens in every software development company.

I applaud CA for being transparent and giving us a realistic release date for Norsca, rather than coming up with some far fetched excuses.

Don't get me wrong , I am really looking forward to having a completed & balanced ME campaign and I am sad that it will take this long. But I also accept that 'screw ups' happen. It's not like the people of CA do this on purpose, it's not fun for anyone who works at CA to go trough this.

I hope they ignore most of the self-entitled pr*cks on this forum and keep working on what are, in my opinion, the best Total War games they have ever made. Let's hope they have the time & resources to let it reach its full potential.
  • Horus168Horus168 Posts: 578Registered Users
    It's good to have this update, but it doesn't address at all why i was so disappointed with ME, which wasn't missing norsca or bugs, but an apparent general lack of care and attention, which foe me boiled down to two key things:

1. Campaign balance: the campaign seemed very unbalanced:
    Dwarves commited genocide on greenskins.
    VC quickly destroyed the empire
    Skaven never expanded
    LM and elves felt unbalanced
    Even brett vs mousillon felt unbalanced.
    But particularly the chaos invasion. And the patch beta didn't really fix anything, was universally panned in the beta feedback, but was rolled out unchanged anyway.

2. Care to the old world races. I was expecting more.
    No rites, no reworked skill trees, no new beastmen units/mechanics. No new empire mechanics. No 'kill the leader' confed for greenskins. No new start positions. Just seemed uncared for.

On the subject of the branch merging. In my job i commision code dev and any branch apart for more than a month often causes issues; it happens. But as you said you could put RoR and norsca in quickly like a modder would, but it would be a difficult to maintain long term proposition. In a similiar situation we always put the quick fix in so the product is not substandard, and then focus on the long term fix, removing the workaround when that's ready; so the user always has a good experience and the code base doesn't build up technical debt. Leaving the product in a de-featured state doesn't show respect for your customer.