Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Thrones of Britannia Q&A with Jack Lusted

CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 611Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team

Join us in half an hour for Total War: Live where we'll be having a live Q&A with Jack Lusted on Thrones of Britannia

We'll be kicking things off with some Free For All on WARHAMMER II at 3pm GMT and then Jack will be joining us at 4pm GMT for the Q&A

See you there!

Only on Total War: Live ->

Comments

• SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 442Registered Users
    Nice interview, I found it interesting when he said that the majority of changes are going to be on the campaign, and that minor settlements seem to work differently. I can't wait for more information!
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 6,270Registered Users
    Suliot said:

Nice interview, I found it interesting when he said that the majority of changes are going to be on the campaign, and that minor settlements seem to work differently. I can't wait for more information!

Can you summarize what are the new information?
    jamreal18 said:

Suliot said:

Can you summarize what are the new information?
    There will be no knights, the best cavalry will be Welsh. Saxons have a jack of all trades army, Vikings are good with axes, the Welsh are good with cavalry and longbows, the Irish will have a good skirmishing army.

Most of the changes will be on the campaign map and there are some changes coming to minor settlements but, they're not releasing any information on that at the moment. There will be a technology tree, we will be able to upgrade units just like in Attila, but they will be pre-set in their roles kinda like they are in AoC, i, e levies will be upgraded to better levies but not elite units. Cavalry will be more about scouting and harassing skirmishers while the shield wall formation is going to rule the battlefield.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. :)
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 848Registered Users
    Sounds fantastic to me!
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • LeverkinLeverkin Posts: 8Registered Users
    Great interview. Keep it coming! :smile:
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 128Registered Users
    Great interview! Really good to see the passion with the developer. Jack well done!
  • Nortrix87Nortrix87 Senior Member Posts: 900Registered Users
    So if you did not watch it live?
    "We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USAPosts: 5,274Registered Users
    Nortrix87 said:

So if you did not watch it live?

Click on the most recently uploaded video (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/207208003) and skip to about 1:03:40.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 117Registered Users
    Ten playable factions. Time to wildly speculate as to what the ten playable factions are.

I'm a novice regarding the history of this era but Alfred the Great was Anglo Saxon right? Jack mentioned the Welsh, Irish and Vikings. I would imagine the Scots get a faction or two.

Could it be there are 5 major factions those being Anglo Saxon, Wales, Ireland, Viking and Scotland with each of those having an affiliated playable minor faction?

Since I'll probably play as the Scots I'm curious what the most likely composition of the Scot army composition will look like. Did they use swords and shields? Did they use spears and pikes? Did they toss telephone poles at people?

Thanks for the video Jack. I'm looking forward to the game.
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,392Registered Users, Cakes!
    Jack and Whelan nailed it!

Great job guys the questions were good and looking forward to the news next week on the campaign map.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 13,200Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Really looking forward to getting heavily innvolved in this game!
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    alstl said:

Could it be there are 5 major factions those being Anglo Saxon, Wales, Ireland, Viking and Scotland with each of those having an affiliated playable minor faction?

That's what I'm hoping for.
  • JacklessJackless Junior Member Posts: 189Registered Users
    That was a pretty good Interview! The question were interesting and specific!
    Its also nice to see how enthusiastic Jack is about his game! Im really looking forward to it :)
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 848Registered Users
    dge1 said:

Yep. I am not sure I have ever been so excited for a game. When I first played Medieval II (my first Total War game) I immediately wanted a 9th century mod for the Britannia campaign.

This game is a dream come true.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Posts: 1,051Registered Users
    Is Jack always dressedike this, or was it a hint for the time period of the next total war..
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

And last but not least, CA please hire me for no specific reason

• CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 611Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team

Is Jack always dressedike this, or was it a hint for the time period of the next total war..

No, he's literally always dressed like that
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 128Registered Users
    CA_Whelan said:

No, he's literally always dressed like that
    It's good to be different
  • MorkMork Posts: 136Registered Users
    My two cents on the 10 factions

first, let´s take a look at England 878 AD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Edington

scroll down for the map.

This battle gives us two playable factions

1. Alfred (Anglo-Saxon) or Wessex
    2. Guthrum (danish) later known as Æthelstan ,after he got baptised.

Further, they have talked about Irish and Welsh, maybe Scots

so
    3. Wales ( Gwynedd or Powys?)
    4. Ireland (Gaelic Ireland was also divided into five prime overkingdoms (Old Irish cóiceda, Modern Irish cúige). These were Ulaid (in the north), Connacht (in the west), Laighin (in the southeast), Mumhan (in the south) and Mide (in the centre,

so maybe Connacht or Munster , maybe 2 factions playable.

Now, just speculation
    5. Scotland ( Alba or Strathclyde come to mind)
    6. maybe norse settlements in Ireland
    7. Danish Mercia
    8. Anglo-Saxon Mercia
    9. Northumberland
    10. 2nd irish or scottish faction? or the norwegian Kingdom of the Northern Isles ( Shetlands)

Thats my guess with A LOT of speculation to it.

Norse settlemant in Ireland

https://www.yourirish.com/history/medieval/vikings-invade-ireland
  • Nortrix87Nortrix87 Senior Member Posts: 900Registered Users
    edited December 7
    Mork said:

My two cents on the 10 factions

first, let´s take a look at England 878 AD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Edington

scroll down for the map.

This battle gives us two playable factions

1. Alfred (Anglo-Saxon) or Wessex
    2. Guthrum (danish) later known as Æthelstan ,after he got baptised.

Well before the battle of Edington the "Great Heathen Army" as it was called split in two. "...In 874, following their winter stay in Repton, the Great Heathen Army drove the Mercian king into exile and finally conquered Mercia; the exiled Mercian king was replaced by Ceowulf. According to Alfred the Great's biographer Asser, the Vikings then split into two bands. Halfdan led one band north to Northumbria, where he overwintered by the river Tyne (874–75). In 875 he ravaged further north to Scotland, where he fought the Picts and the Britons of Strathclyde. Returning south of the border in 876, he shared out Northumbrian land amongst his men, who "ploughed the land and supported themselves"; this land was part of what became known as the Danelaw..."

Considering this, the question is if we gonna see the Danelaw split in two. Most part ruled by pegan Halfdan and East Anglia part by converted Guthrum.

"We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 1,996Registered Users
    IMO Jorvik/York or however they label the faction that stayed Pagan would be a better choice for a playable faction, since Guthrum was on good terms with Wessex after converting. It could be a different take on the 'Viking' game, though.

My guesses/hopes:

1. (Saxons) Wessex
    2. (Saxons) Mercia (client to Wessex)
    3. (Norse) York
    4. (Norse) Kingdom of the Isles
    5. (Norse) Kingdom of Dublin
    6. (Picts) Fortriu/Alba
    7. (Britons) Gwynedd
    8. (Britons) Strathclyde
    9-10. (Irish) [two factions, no idea which]

• riadachriadach Posts: 4Registered Users
    For an Irish faction I would definitely expect Flann Sinna - Southern Uí Néill High-King.

If there is a second playable one, it will probably be Cerball mac Dúnlainge king of Osraige. A more challenging start but interesting nonetheless.
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,392Registered Users, Cakes!
    As far as Irish playable factions go I would say Kingdom of Munster has a good chance with it being a dominate faction towards the end of the period with Brian Boru becoming the High of Ireland. Hard to tell until we get more info on the campaign.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 117Registered Users
    Mattzo said:

dge1 said:

Yep. I am not sure I have ever been so excited for a game. When I first played Medieval II (my first Total War game) I immediately wanted a 9th century mod for the Britannia campaign.

This game is a dream come true.
    I agree. It has been a bit of a dry spell for a historical game. I'm glad they did warhammer because it has been a big financial success for the company even though it isn't my cup of tea but it's good to seem them get back to historical content.