Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

High Elves... Captured perfectly.

gholingholin MemberPosts: 603Registered Users
CA, I have to say, I am consistently impressed with the High Elves.

Although they were not my favorite Warhammer race(Top 5 at least though) and I always thought they looked funny in their tall hats, but now I think them the most amazing TWW2 faction.

Everything, from their music, to their shining golden and silver armor, to the way they look arrogant and sufficiently elven on the battlefield, just make me so happy when I play them. I'm absolutely in love now. Seeing a shining host charge into skaven filth or stout dwarfen lines gets me every time, their archers flinging arrows with grace and skill and fashionably good looks all to very LOTR style elven music. On the map, I feel like I'm really fighting for the survival of the Warhammer world, because my elves are champions of light and life. And Ulthuan is just absolutely gorgeous.
It's deep in their animations, art, and play style. The way Lothern Sea Guard fire volleys and then switch into a charge, spears out, to meet the foe, the way Swordmasters wield their blades, how Dragon Princes trot arrogantly. Seeing the pointy helms of my elves rising above the tide of greenskins around them, fighting hard deep within the ranks of orcs. It's all perfect.

And the opening cinematic of the Vortex campaign where the brothers work together, one to go search for a solution, the other to defend the homeland, just gives me chills.

The Dwarfs and other races also feel very good, but for some reason, to me, it feels like the High Elves have just been perfectly given life. They are just a joy to play and feel so special to me. Thank you CA.
Anyone else feel CA really outdid themselves with the High Elves, or any other race?

Comments

• GunKingGunKing Posts: 434Registered Users
    I'm of the same mind. I thought both HE/DE were impeccably well done, especially their music themes.
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 148Registered Users
    Smell of elf-thing who wet itself yes-yes.
  • SudoKnightlyNonsenseSudoKnightlyNonsense Posts: 810Registered Users
    The High Elves and Dark Elves are incredible, Lizardmen are decent as well: which is a lot coming from be simply because I despise the Lizardmen. I hope they put as much care into future factions as well, Norsca was also amazing.
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 1,820Registered Users
    The High Elves certainly do look and sound the part, they've been implemented very well. They were always my favourites .

Haven't played their campaign yet (and won't until Thanquol comes), but the Skaven probably win in just how brilliantly their armies captured the look of the faction. That mix of silly and threatening is spot on.

Can't think of any full faction that really doesn't give the right vibe, maybe The Empire doesn't quite capture the feel of the faction as it perhaps ought? But I can't think of how it could have been done any better.
    "To the glory that was Greece, and the grandeur that was Rome."
  • DavidtheDukeDavidtheDuke Senior Member Posts: 1,920Registered Users
    Arsenic said:

Can't think of any full faction that really doesn't give the right vibe, maybe The Empire doesn't quite capture the feel of the faction as it perhaps ought? But I can't think of how it could have been done any better.

Dryrain's reskins on the mod workshop take them forward alot more. I think alot of it is there isn't much differentiation between Empire elector count's armies, for one. Like the Altdorf Company of Honor, Averland's armoured halberdiers, or the Wolves of Ulric in Middenheim. There's a huge amount of variation in the Empire that isn't represented at all.

That said, what is represented isn't that bad, but there's a way to go. At least that's my take on it.

The high elves and dark elves are v ery well done. I also thinkt he voice acting and stuff for gobbos is really good too. I love that one gobbo who says "I'm special!" when you click on him. It's so goblin it hurts.
    i6700k @ 4.0 ghz
    EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB
    1TB SSD w/ Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • TheBlaze_64TheBlaze_64 Posts: 152Registered Users
    Yeah, for all the complaints lodged against them, CA has been putting out some very nicely polished material (in my opinion, anyway).

High Elves have become my favorite, simply because I'm in love with their units. LSG's are awesome, and Teclis is fun as all hell in SP, I just wish one of the LL's could get something cooler than a pony to ride.

On that note, does anyone know if there may be a Mage LL to possibly look forward to that might ride a beast? I know Extremely little on the lore.
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 1,820Registered Users

On that note, does anyone know if there may be a Mage LL to possibly look forward to that might ride a beast? I know Extremely little on the lore.

Eltharion the Grim of Yvresse is a combined melee-spellcaster and rides a griffin, if that sounds up your alley?

Quite a likely candidate for the first FLC LL for the High Elves.

"To the glory that was Greece, and the grandeur that was Rome."
  • TheBlaze_64TheBlaze_64 Posts: 152Registered Users
    Arsenic said:

Eltharion the Grim of Yvresse is a combined melee-spellcaster and rides a griffin, if that sounds up your alley?

Thank god, I loved Mannfred in Game 1, such a magic powerhouse and being badass on a dragon to boot. Was hoping for that sort of experience with the High Elves as well.
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Posts: 252Registered Users
    HE is the least buggiest faction of all factions in the vortex campaign. HE has nearly no bugs. It's probably the faction that gets tested the most.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,497Registered Users
    I hadn't even intended to play as High Elves before launch but after fighting them with Skaven and Lizardmen and seeing the Dragon Princes charge across the field while Star Dragons flew overhead and archers rained down arrows they started to look sort of interesting. Then the influence mechanic while not world shattering did make diplomacy actually a bit interesting for the first time in a TW game as well some fairly OP Lord choices via using Influence and some fantastic battlefield locations around Ulthuan I've surprisingly played HE 2nd only to Skaven.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • PappyTronPappyTron Posts: 285Registered Users
    Here is how a High Elf is captured perfectly:

"We’ve been playtesting the **** out of every one of the 35 factions on all the difficulty settings"
  • Overlord87Overlord87 Posts: 695Registered Users

Arsenic said:

Thank god, I loved Mannfred in Game 1, such a magic powerhouse and being badass on a dragon to boot. Was hoping for that sort of experience with the High Elves as well.
    In theory, at least from old editions, Eltharion had an item that made him a spellcaster. So it would be something like Azhag, you make a quest, take the item, and unlock your magic skill tree. On the other hand, he should probably be a better melee fighter than Azhag.
  • sieahsieah Posts: 99Registered Users
    On a side note- how do i trigger the Heart of Avelorn quest for Tyrion? Im on 150ish turn and nothing so far.
  • TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Posts: 530Registered Users
    edited December 7
    Reeks said:

Smell of elf-thing who wet itself yes-yes.

They squirt fear musk
    We kill-slay all surface-things yes yes? Wait... no no... beard-things are not not surface-things... kill beard-things too... and surface things... yes yes.

I add this image of Ikit Claw to beak up the monotony that threads can fall into (except the screenshot one). I take no credit for it and the author seems to be watermarked on it.
  • KatarianKatarian Posts: 151Registered Users
    sieah said:

On a side note- how do i trigger the Heart of Avelorn quest for Tyrion? Im on 150ish turn and nothing so far.

Don't capture the Phoenix Gate. I sat around for about 100 turns with the Phoenix Gate in various Dark Elf fations hands whilst I controlled the rest of Ulthuan waiting for the mission to trigger. It's moronic how you get those legendary items from RNG rather then quest battles.
  • Overlord87Overlord87 Posts: 695Registered Users
    Katarian said:

sieah said:

Don't capture the Phoenix Gate. I sat around for about 100 turns with the Phoenix Gate in various Dark Elf fations hands whilst I controlled the rest of Ulthuan waiting for the mission to trigger. It's moronic how you get those legendary items from RNG rather then quest battles.
    Agree, definitely a bad design choice. For anyone interested, though, there should be a mod trying to fix that.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 3,966Registered Users
    There was a big ol thread concerned about HE pre release, I told em all not to worry and they were like "Beast, we're right to worry!" and I was like "wait till release you'll see" and they did see, the HE's are done quite nicely, beastly monsters, solid infantry, good archers, heavy cav. It's pretty.
  • sieahsieah Posts: 99Registered Users
    Katarian said:

Damn it. Too late now.
    Thanks man anyway.

• coury97coury97 Junior Member Posts: 94Registered Users
    Katarian said:

sieah said:

The mods of Crynsos for Instant Quest Battles or Instant Quest Items, give them (Malekith, Teclis, Tyrion and Morathi) their extra Unique items when they reach certain level, and if you want to do the battles or the quest lines, you can just activate the mod after that to get the items, and then deactivate it without breaking the save. It's pretty useful.

Also yeah, i love how they implemented it, most of all because with the influence system i can make a more "loreful" world in the campaign.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 7,649Registered Users
    I love the HE feel. White Lions could be a little stronger in my book but the race plays awesome. And that music man.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 119Registered Users
    gholin said:

CA, I have to say, I am consistently impressed with the High Elves.

Although they were not my favorite Warhammer race(Top 5 at least though) and I always thought they looked funny in their tall hats, but now I think them the most amazing TWW2 faction.

Everything, from their music, to their shining golden and silver armor, to the way they look arrogant and sufficiently elven on the battlefield, just make me so happy when I play them. I'm absolutely in love now. Seeing a shining host charge into skaven filth or stout dwarfen lines gets me every time, their archers flinging arrows with grace and skill and fashionably good looks all to very LOTR style elven music. On the map, I feel like I'm really fighting for the survival of the Warhammer world, because my elves are champions of light and life. And Ulthuan is just absolutely gorgeous.
    It's deep in their animations, art, and play style. The way Lothern Sea Guard fire volleys and then switch into a charge, spears out, to meet the foe, the way Swordmasters wield their blades, how Dragon Princes trot arrogantly. Seeing the pointy helms of my elves rising above the tide of greenskins around them, fighting hard deep within the ranks of orcs. It's all perfect.

And the opening cinematic of the Vortex campaign where the brothers work together, one to go search for a solution, the other to defend the homeland, just gives me chills.

The Dwarfs and other races also feel very good, but for some reason, to me, it feels like the High Elves have just been perfectly given life. They are just a joy to play and feel so special to me. Thank you CA.
    Anyone else feel CA really outdid themselves with the High Elves, or any other race?

Yes ! I agree with you Warhammer Brother !

C.A. Did SUCH an amazing job at catching that feeling right. The Empire, you feel TRULY like mankind last hope, you are the bastion of human culture, art, and most of all, survival !

Bretonnia, BEST CAMPAIGN EVER PLAYED !! Man, I don't know how C.A. does it, somehow it seems the mechanic is fixed on your faction, so the outside world acts perfectly to there situation. I don't know, but every time I am amazed with the moves the AI does to make the experience even better !!! I am a HUGE fan of role-playing in games, I make up whole stories, and I act like them. Not always the best option, strategically at least, but for fun yes ! haha, like calling the council of the Lords and ladies of the woods in the most DIRE times, or when I want to start a certain military campaign. When I do that, I call all my armies back to Athel Loren, even though it would take some time to call them back. That is why it takes me ages to complete a campaign haha, Vortex campaign took me almost 400 turns with the Lizardman. I could go faster, but why ? ! its fun !

Anyways, Bretonnia and Carcassonne where amazing. They truly got that feeling right, the HORRIBLE life of a peasant, the desperate feeling when the world becomes dark and dangerous ... I can't really explain, it is just EVERY TIME to perfect.