Adorbs

Best Starting Faction?

Walker9Walker9 Junior MemberPosts: 10Registered Users
edited April 2013 in Medieval II: Total War
My M2TW that i ordered a few days ago has arrived in the mail today :D! Right now it is installing. Once it is finished installing I'm going to have to make a choice that i have been pondering on for awhile now. What in your opinion is the best faction out of the five that you begin with? I was originally going to do a Holy Roman Empire campaign but it seems that you are surrounded by enemies. (I'm new to the series so i don't want to get pummeled for the first time :p). England seems easier, since you are on an island. France also looks good. What faction did everybody else use for their first campaign?
Post edited by Walker9 on

Comments

• TarquiniusTarquinius Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    England. England. England.

Its not just the best faction in game, its the best faction IRL too.

(note: for the purposes of this boast I consider the US and Commonwealth to be extensions of Anglo-Saxon culture)

As you say HRE is difficult because you'll be attacked right from the start. Venetians are fun but they have the same issue as HRE. France is a powerful faction, but.....well they're French. Spain has ****py units, but that can make the game fun too. They're pretty isolated as well, so you do get some of the same benefits as England, but not the same extent.
    Coulda' swore I joined this forum like 5 years ago.
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 967Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    England is a good starting faction. In real life it was an absolutely awful place. Just read or watch Pillars of the Earth. Also, the Movies about Henry VIII werent bad either. Pretty much up until the time of Newton it was fairly backward. The game cant take all of these power struggles into account either and neither the rampant civil wars that were quite common in England.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
  • Walker9Walker9 Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    I started an English campaign. I am loving their units. I've taken the rebel settlements in Wales and Ireland. Hopefully France holds off for awhile because I'm about to declare war on Scotland. After this campaign I'll try out France and Spain. Thanks for the advice guys! :cool:
  • The WeaverThe Weaver Senior Member Posts: 2,134Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    Denmark is also a good starting faction, as it's sort of out of the way. Grab Sweden and Norway early on, and whatever rebel German provinces you can lay your hands on, and then prepare yourself for the long war with the Holy Roman Empire.
    "O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
    The brightest heaven of invention" - Henry V Act I Prologue
  • TarquiniusTarquinius Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    Colfax wrote: »
    England is a good starting faction. In real life it was an absolutely awful place. Just read or watch Pillars of the Earth. Also, the Movies about Henry VIII werent bad either. Pretty much up until the time of Newton it was fairly backward. The game cant take all of these power struggles into account either and neither the rampant civil wars that were quite common in England.
    Only by today's standards. For the time it was much better place for the common man than France, Germany, Spain and the civil wars weren't as frequent as the internal fighting of the German Petty kingdoms or the French civil war that lasted almost 200 years. Eastern Europe was so depopulated by the Mongols they invited thousands of Germans and Jews in. I'd say only Italy and Switzerland were better places to live.

Basically, life sucked all over in the middle ages unless you were nobility and even then it was still pretty bad.

Back on topic: For a second play through, try one of the Eastern European factions. It can be a lot of fun using horse archer dominated armies.
    Coulda' swore I joined this forum like 5 years ago.
  • LouThundersLouThunders Senior Member Posts: 312Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    On my first playthrough I start with Venice. Don't ask me why, I just have a fetish for Italian city-states and lesser powers in strategy games. And maybe because that your main objective doesn't involve kicking the pope out of his home and make every Catholic faction hate you.
    Dealer in THUNDER and death! (Sorry Nappy!)
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,625Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    Yeah England is the best to start with. And one of my favourite factions, with great units, starting position and good generals =). There starting position is a very good one and very interesting, you'll have a terribly fun campaign with them :). You will never imagine where you'll end up :p.

Check out the name of William the Conqueror's son, and you will find he has my forum name :p. He was my best general ever (or maybe just my favourite :p).
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity
    edited July 2011
    Check out the name of William the Conqueror's son, and you will find he has my forum name . He was my best general ever (or maybe just my favourite ).

So far he is my best general also :cool:. He took all of the rebel settlements in Wales and Ireland and he also took Scotland. Now he isn't Prince Rufus though... he is now King Rufus ;)
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,625Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    Walker9 wrote: »
    So far he is my best general also :cool:. He took all of the rebel settlements in Wales and Ireland and he also took Scotland. Now he isn't Prince Rufus though... he is now King Rufus ;)

Haha awesome :D. He also conquered those areas for me :p. Took him down to France afterwards I believe. I piety that in the Stainless Steel mod he is already dead when the campaign starts... ¬¬

King Rufus... he just... he plainly is... he's just awesome :p.
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity
    edited July 2011
    The only bad thing now is that I took Paris from France and now the Pope wants me to have a ceasefire with them:(. My standing with the pope right now is good, but I'm afraid he might excommunicate if I don't stop attacking France. What should i do?:confused:
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    The Pope also sends that message to the French. So take this as an opportunity to consolidate your position. Retrain your men, improve your armies and defences, but do not attack for the length of the Papal mission. If the French attack you during this time, they will feel the force of the Pope's displeasure, maybe even get excommunicated. Then they're fair game!
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    edited July 2011
    Thanks. I have to hold off my campaign against France anyway because Denmark attacked me. At least Denmark is excommunicated though!:p
  • The KhanateThe Khanate Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    England is the best starting faction.Once you polish of the Scottish ( which isnt hard) you can claim the UK. Next you can head north into Oslo and Stockholm and have a good base to attack Helsinki and Russia. You can expand into France and Spain and your Island is rarely attack. You are also in a good position to venture to the Americas.....

Currently I am playing as Venice and have succoured most of the Mediterranean.They are very good and I would recommend them both!!
    I give hope to men. I keep none for myself. - Aragorn
  • WabbajeckWabbajeck Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    France is a pretty good faction because if you survive long enough, then they have the BEST cavalry and late period infantry in the game...England though is also a very good starter
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 967Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    Wabbajeck wrote: »
    France is a pretty good faction because if you survive long enough, then they have the BEST cavalry and late period infantry in the game...England though is also a very good starter

Undoubtedly, France is one of the better factions to play once it gets going.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,526Registered Users
    edited July 2011
    If you want a interesting and challenging campaign game, play as Egypt, and take Jerusalem and Antioch and watch the Catholics come far and wide to try to capture those two cities. But the most interesting game of all has to be Sicily, if you take the closest island to Genoa, then Milan will attack you like there is no tomorrow, and even though I am allied with the Pope, for some reason, I always get the cease hostilities against Milan, and they just keep attacking and only once in a while they will get excommunicated from the church, but that happens like one time out of twenty, and I am usually the one who gets excommunicated as I just try to push them off my land, but overall it is real fun.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
    edited July 2011
    So far my English campaign is going great. I have Denmark, France, Jerusalem, all of the British Isles, Corsica, Scandinavia and most of the Iberian peninsula. This game is great :D. I think I might try an Italian state after I am finished. Thanks for tips everybody!
  • JANKOJANKO Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    For me,Holy Roman Empire. :)
    MY BIGGEST WISHES:
    1.Medieval Total War 3
    2.Rome Total War 2
  • NS-NightStalkerNS-NightStalker Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    I started out with England. I liked the AP (armour piercing) stats of all its archers! I fight most of my battles at long range then I finish off what is left. Even though you start on an island you are not completely safe since you share that island with Scotland. Also Caen is vulnerable to everyone else on the mainland. Later in the game Portugal and Spain will eventually send troopships to take Dublin, and once they have it your settlements will be next!

I am about to start a new grand campaign after winning with England. I will choose either Venice, Portugal, France, Byzantium or Russia. However, based on my experience against the Mongols while playing as England, I will choose a faction that has pike units, very long range missile units (Musketeers), and some type of missile cavalry. England had to rely on mercs for all those units and still lacked very long range missile units. I may end up going with Venice since I LOVE the Mortar!!!!! Also Venice has access to Galley, War Galley, and Galleass. While the Galley and War Galley are not the best in their respective classes, they fair MUCH better than the Cog and Holk respectively. Another reason for Venice over Portugal is the Italian Spear Militia. When you combine them with the Pavise Crossbow Militia you have a powerful early period army.
  • albino penguinalbino penguin Member Posts: 78Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    I played my first as Scotland for a number of reasons:
    1. They are Scottish
    2. The have pikes, lots of pikes and very early
    3. They are Scottish
    4. Their units look really sweet in kilts
    They do start small though, and England can be pretty scary. Also, if you're playing England now you will probably be sick of the British Isles by the time you are done and want a change
  • kackley1kackley1 Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    I find the HRE to be the best. They end up having the most options strategically and tactically. They also get Reiters, the gunpowder armed horse archer. :)
  • darkstardarkstar Senior Member Posts: 346Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    HRE is the most difficult of the five starting factions, if your new to medieval but are experienced in another total war title, then you could go for it, but if medieval 2 is someones first TW title, then it might be better to play as england to learn the ropes, then egypt for eastern factions
  • Brenticus1Brenticus1 Senior Member Posts: 643Registered Users
    edited September 2011
    England is good for beginners. Longbowmen to plant stacks keep cavalry at bay, very useful when dealing with mongols. Good professional armies, enough cavalry to cause problems too.
    The more you kill, the less the lag.
  • Hastu NeonHastu Neon Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    Hi all. I have just downloaded the game and keen to start playing.
    What about Norman Sicily as beginners' faction (assuming it can be unlocked...)
    Thanks.
    Hastu Neon
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    You could do it, but it will have to be unlocked either by winning a campaign or by modding. Sicily gets plenty of Moorish provinces in North Africa to attack, however you will need to stay on very good terms with the Pope as you share a border with him. When the two factions are AI controlled I almost always see the Pope and Sicily at war, and then the Pope excommunicates them.
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
  • K-osdogK-osdog Senior Member Posts: 297Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    I chose venice because of there unit types. I don't really like cavalry and venice has very strong infantry.
  • Hastu NeonHastu Neon Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    You could do it, but it will have to be unlocked either by winning a campaign or by modding.
    If I understand correctly i need to win a GC with a faction that has to eliminate Sicilians. What is this faction? From wiki it's not clear.
    Thanks
    Hastu Neon
  • Ace BlazerAce Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,909Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    I believe you either need to win a long GC which unlocks all the factions, or you completely wipe out the Sicilians in any of your campaigns. Wiping them out will make them playable.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 9,182Registered Users, Moderators
    edited November 2011
    Been awhile but I think you only have to win a campaign as one of the starting factions. Doesn't matter whether it is long or short.

As for a starting faction, I would agree with England or France. Just to play I also like Denmark, Hungary and Spain. Spain is really nice as you can go three directions (southern France, southern Spain into Africa, and into Sardinia/Corsica/Florence before the Pope starts whining. One of the best is Milan. Good basic units from the start which are good throughout the campaign.

Med II is a good game. I play it with the Retrofit Mod which gives all the Kingdom units.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
  • shimazu_94shimazu_94 Member Posts: 39Registered Users
    edited November 2011
    The first campaign I won, I played Venice. I expanded my territories toward Byzantine and Turks, so I weren't be excommunicated by The Pope.
    War is sweet to those who have never experienced it - Pindar