Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thrones of Britannia – Campaign Map Reveal

Harley_GrinHarley_Grin Posts: 102Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
Today we are revealing the campaign map, showing you all the factions, provinces, and settlements of the British Isles in 878 AD.

Find out more in Jack Lusted's blog here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-campaign-map-reveal

Associate Brand Manager

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by Grace_CA on

Comments

• MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    This has made my day. It's beautiful!
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
    Is there a higher resolution map with settlement names on? It says to click on a bigger version to see the names but the only super large map doesn't have the names, and the map with names is quite small.
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    That's awesome! It looks amazing, I'm also happy to learn that battle maps will correspond with the campaign map like they used to, not how they are pre-set in Warhammer 2. :)

Great update, keep em coming! B)

I just took a really close look at the resource and terrain map, and I'm already super excited about the game. Also it is giving me Shogun 2 flashbacks, what with monasteries and saints being resources on their own.
    Post edited by Suliot on
  • Harley_GrinHarley_Grin Posts: 102Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team
    Mattzo said:

Is there a higher resolution map with settlement names on? It says to click on a bigger version to see the names but the only super large map doesn't have the names, and the map with names is quite small.

I've edited the blog so you should be able to open all the map images in a new tab to see the full size image now.
    It may take a minute or two to refresh.
    Associate Brand Manager

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Many thanks! So amazing to see so many of my local towns on a Total War map! Now I'm just trying to guess what the different colour markers mean next to the place names.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Posts: 742Registered Users
    Looks pretty awesome. I wasnt all that interested before but I definitely am now.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • Nortrix87Nortrix87 Senior Member Posts: 991Registered Users
    Nice! :smile:
    "We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Posts: 1,749Registered Users
    I like the campaign direction looks good hopefully it plays well CA and new designs can be a little bumpy sometimes.

Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires is a good example of that it's cool but It could of been implemented better.

I really hope this works tho!!
    Died during the great YOYO wars
  • Thegn_PhilThegn_Phil Posts: 49Registered Users
    My guess for playable factions, based upon two per culture group and Wessex sized starts.

West Seaxe (Anglo Saxon) - Obvious.
    Mierce (Anglo Saxon) - 'hard' Saxons. Could be fun, trapped between Danes, Welsh and a upcoming Wessex
    Northymbre (Danelaw) - 'main' Danish kingdom, standard start
    Hylrborg (Danelaw) - More challenging Danish start, with lots of aggressive little kingdoms around.
    Connact (Ireland) - Dominant Western power in Ireland
    Aileach (Ireland) - More challenging Irish start, with lots of vikings nearby.
    Powis (Wales) - Cross Offa's Dyke and kill Mercia, or unify Wales.
    Gliwissig (Wales) - Create a unified Welsh kingdom from southern kingdoms.
    Circenn (Scotland) - Unify Scotland! Western Isles beckon.
    Northleode (Scotland, I think?) - Between Scots and Danes - where to expand first?
  • DruidsbrookDruidsbrook Junior Member Posts: 48Registered Users
    Love the campaign map guys, so happy to see my hometown Oswestry on there! And look Shrewsbury can stop arguing about how to pronounce Shrewsbury because clearly we should all be called it Scrobbesburg!
  • welshwarrior09welshwarrior09 Junior Member Posts: 44Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Love it ! Great job guys, it’s fantastic.
    "Cymru am byth"
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 879Registered Users

That's a great start, very interested.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,603Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Very Nice!

Hope you show unique units when you reveal factions just like in Rome 2/Attila.
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • LeverkinLeverkin Posts: 38Registered Users
    Good! That change in province design is very interesting. It seems trade and strategic resources are going to be important. Keep it up! :)
  • ShadowtwinzShadowtwinz Posts: 57Registered Users
    Please dont mess up with Campaign AI like you did in attila and rome.

Hehe, hopefully we can get diplomats or characters like in m2tw
  • ShadowtwinzShadowtwinz Posts: 57Registered Users
    Leverkin said:

Good! That change in province design is very interesting. It seems trade and strategic resources are going to be important. Keep it up! :)

Inb4 we get merchants and m2tw campaign mechanics !
  • riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users
    Mattzo said:

My guess for playable factions, based upon two per culture group and Wessex sized starts.

West Seaxe (Anglo Saxon) - Obvious.
    Mierce (Anglo Saxon) - 'hard' Saxons. Could be fun, trapped between Danes, Welsh and a upcoming Wessex
    Northymbre (Danelaw) - 'main' Danish kingdom, standard start
    Hylrborg (Danelaw) - More challenging Danish start, with lots of aggressive little kingdoms around.
    Connact (Ireland) - Dominant Western power in Ireland
    Aileach (Ireland) - More challenging Irish start, with lots of vikings nearby.
    Powis (Wales) - Cross Offa's Dyke and kill Mercia, or unify Wales.
    Gliwissig (Wales) - Create a unified Welsh kingdom from southern kingdoms.
    Circenn (Scotland) - Unify Scotland! Western Isles beckon.
    Northleode (Scotland, I think?) - Between Scots and Danes - where to expand first?

Flann Sinna was High-King. I imagine he'll have to feature as the Irish faction. I want to know how many of these factions are independent and how many are in vassalage/confederation?

It's a fantastic piece of work. I can see from the Irish map alone that a lot of work has gone into it.
  • EfixEfix Posts: 268Registered Users
    Very good move on the minor settlement and resources management cant wait for more news !
  • welshwarrior09welshwarrior09 Junior Member Posts: 44Registered Users
    I like the way the main and minor settlements react regarding resources, but I am wondering if you lose your main settlement, can you still operate with minor settlements or does this leave you in a really bad position? just a thought.
    "Cymru am byth"
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Wow bravo CA!

This is absolutely breathtaking and hats off to you guys for the amount of work it must of been trying to put all of that information together. Really quality stuff! I have to go back to work, but can't wait to check out all of the images!
  • KSedgwick9567KSedgwick9567 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Looking good! I'm excited to see more of the game. The setting definitely has me interested
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    How many wonders/landmarks will the campaign map have? It will be interesting to see how places like Hadrian's Wall and Hill of Tara will be portrayed on the map.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,603Registered Users
    kinjo said:

How many wonders/landmarks will the campaign map have? It will be interesting to see how places like Hadrian's Wall and Hill of Tara will be portrayed on the map.

Hope they are part of the map itself rather than a background.
  • EpicBrotherCEpicBrotherC Posts: 1Registered Users
    How does it compare to Charlemagne British Isles?
    edited December 2017

Charlgemagne Britannia has 21 settlements. In this, the four provinces forming South West England have 17 settlements.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,843Registered Users

The AoC British Isles were split into 7 provinces, each having three regions: Wesses, Mercia, Northumbria, Wales, Pictland, and then I want to say Munster and Ulster. That is opposed to this games British Isles which has god knows how many provinces. Point is: it's not even comparable, it might aswell be the basegames British Isles for all intents and purposes.

Back on Topic, I absolutely love what was been done for the map and also for faction distribution. Also love the names like "West Seaxe" vs Wessex, or "East Engle" vs East Anglia etc. I do wonder though, how much power will Wessex have at the start of the game? Theoretically Mierce, Cent, Gwent, and Sussex should all be clients of West Seaxe, along with Defena and Cerneu iirc. Will they be vassals/tributaries of Wessex, will they be independent, or will some have varying degrees of autonomy? Like, maybe Wessex controls everything besides Mercia or something? How will that work? Otherwise they are definitely a superpower at the start of the game if they have overlordship over all the other Saxons and the Cornish of the south(and a single Welsh state ofc.)
  • riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users
    Where does Myrrborg come from?
  • DruidsbrookDruidsbrook Junior Member Posts: 48Registered Users
    Anyone else hoping there are not too many client states and whole thing turns into a giant free for all? I never did like Sassanids in Attila their satraps were too loyal and they always beat the ERE in my campaigns!
    If anyone is interested, I did a rough count of settlements. I counted 227 named places. Something like:

Provincial Capitals: 61
    Two slot minors: 54
    One slot minors: 112

England: 103
    Wales: 20
    Scotland: 37
    Ireland: 56
    English/Scottish Border: 9 (These two provinces contained some settlements in modern England and some in modern Scotland, so..)
    Isle of Man: 2