Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thrones of Britannia – Campaign Map Reveal

Comments

• RazeAndBurnRazeAndBurn Posts: 82Registered Users
    Is it possible to make the whole mediterrenean in such scale?
  • riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users

Anyone else hoping there are not too many client states and whole thing turns into a giant free for all? I never did like Sassanids in Attila their satraps were too loyal and they always beat the ERE in my campaigns!

Or better yet, rebellious client states who regularly turn on you.
    Love the longphoirt too.
    Scottish provinces look a bit too desolate. So much empty space ( . _ .)

Guvan province could use an extra minor settlement West of the mountains. How about a port village at Cetretha too?
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,844Registered Users

Guvan province could use an extra minor settlement West of the mountains. How about a port village at Cetretha too?

Im pretty sure it's intentional, to show that Scotland is both the least inhabitable(still perfectly livable ofc.) and also least developed(once again, still developed) part of the Isles at this point as far as we know.
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Now if we get campaign and battle maps that matches the descriptions of this area and really do it justice, I'm gonna be excited! Sounds like terrain could be very key to everything, from battle to economy.
  • MemnonMemnon Senior Member Posts: 581Registered Users
    PLS CA-just dont make this game incredible stupid and easy like last DLC for Rome II wher AI cant hold city,cant build good army and where game offer no chelange.

Maps looks promisses-wait for more news....
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 484Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Very Nice!

There is a piece of land in south-east part of map.
    Does it mean Normans are coming in the future?

Hope you show unique units when you reveal factions just like in Rome 2/Attila.

I saw that as well, I wonder if Normandy might be a late game emergent. If that is so are we also going to see Hardrada howling over the North Sea on the wings of a storm

• alstlalstl Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    With resource sites outside the towns and cities I'm guessing a general won't be required to have at least a small military unit in the field.
    alstl said:

With resource sites outside the towns and cities I'm guessing a general won't be required to have at least a small military unit in the field.

I really hope that is that is the case I much preferred the way armies where implemented in the older games
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

Very Nice!

I saw that as well, I wonder if Normandy might be a late game emergent. If that is so are we also going to see Hardrada howling over the North Sea on the wings of a storm

That portion of land was also in the Viking Invasion expansion, and it was empty. I don't think there will be Normans in the game, as a DLC maybe? Maybe, but to be honest I would just leave them out of the game and save the Norman Invasion for whenever they decide to make Medieval 3.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    Kregen said:

alstl said:

I really hope that is that is the case I much preferred the way armies where implemented in the older games
    I don't see much of a choice. If you don't have the option of at least a decent sized garrison I don't see a way to protect resources.
    Ok home from work now and have had a better look at the new map and I must say that I am impressed. The detail and accuracy both geographical and historically is rather good to say the least.

Now this is what I really want to know, all of these smaller land units would of had an Alderman, Reave or Thiegn to administer then, will I be able to appoint my own candidates to those positions.

Also modders you have a really great map to work with, this map could be used to set any period between the Saxon invasion and the early middle ages in Britain. So who's going to let me be lord of Babenberg.
    Suliot said:

Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

Very Nice!

That portion of land was also in the Viking Invasion expansion, and it was empty. I don't think there will be Normans in the game, as a DLC maybe? Maybe, but to be honest I would just leave them out of the game and save the Norman Invasion for whenever they decide to make Medieval 3.
    Well its one of those "pivotal" moment as they say, it could just as easily be the closing event of this game (its time frame runs to 1066) or the grand opening of the British campaign in Med III, or maybe even be the focus of another Saga game at a later date. We shall just have to wait and see which way CA jumps on this. One other thing springs to mind as well in Med II the America's where revealed in the late game but not visible at the outset.
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    ToB's "pivotal" moment is the Great Heathen army, the game goes up to 1066 so we can get some cool units and more variety of units in general.

The Normans should be in a title like Medieval 3, which would be huge. They had an immense impact not only on England, but also on France, Italy, Byzantium and the Levant. As well as completely revolutionizing heavy cavalry tactics and inventing castles, which dominated Europe for centuries.

Adding them as a DLC for a modest title like ToB, would not be fair in my opinion. They deserve a much larger game.
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    Ok here is my stab at the 10 playable factions and why I picked them

1. West Seaxe - confirmed
    2. Mierce - Secondary Saxon faction
    3. Northymbre - Main Danish faction in control of Eoferwic (Jorvik)
    4. Dyflin - Largest slave port in Europe under the Kings of Dublin and they are Norse
    5. Gwined - Main Welsh faction and faction of Rhodri the Great
    6. Strat Clut - Secondary Welsh faction with different start location
    7. Mide - Main Irish Faction and seat of the High King (Hill of Tara)
    8. Desmuma - Secondary Irish faction + Brian Boru faction
    9. Fortriu - main Pict faction
    10. Wild card - either another Pict/Scot, Norse, or East Engle
  • RotarrinRotarrin Junior Member Posts: 38Registered Users
    Damn, that is a truly awesome map. I'm more excited to get my hands on this game than ever now!

Question: In the map showing the settlement names, does anyone have an idea of the meaning behind the color-coded dots?

I'm guessing red dots are provincial capitals, and the blue dots appear to be ports (and occasionally a city -- such as York/Eoferwic -- are both). However, the brown dots have me stumped. Are they holy sites? Old Roman/Celtic fortifications?
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    The ones with bigger "Font Size" are the playable factions.
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member Posts: 1,610Registered Users
    Lol .. could be, but what about Ireland?
  • Vestri_UlfdyrVestri_Ulfdyr Posts: 36Registered Users
    Kregen said:

Suliot said:

Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

Very Nice!

Well its one of those "pivotal" moment as they say, it could just as easily be the closing event of this game (its time frame runs to 1066) or the grand opening of the British campaign in Med III, or maybe even be the focus of another Saga game at a later date. We shall just have to wait and see which way CA jumps on this. One other thing springs to mind as well in Med II the America's where revealed in the late game but not visible at the outset.
    Jack also stated that end game armour and weapons is akin to that of the Normans. So there' is certainly potential for the Normans emerging end game or being DLC.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,162Registered Users
    The whole concept of small villages is comparable to empire which also had resources outside the capitals with the difference that occupation means you probably will get the region of that province. In previous titles comparable systems could get annoying while you had to chase down you're enemy across the map. What also was the case in WH I. I really hope that the AI is able to handle such a system and that CA makes it so that it won't be a chase down across the map. Hope for lot's of river crossings and other chock points in order to defend regions without defensive capabilities. Like to hear in a next interview more in detail how this system will work out.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff

Scotland is the least densely populated part of the map, mostly thanks to the amount of mountains! There aren't many ports along the coast from Eoferwic to Bebbanburg mainly because there's not many in the records.
    Rotarrin said:

Damn, that is a truly awesome map. I'm more excited to get my hands on this game than ever now!

Question: In the map showing the settlement names, does anyone have an idea of the meaning behind the color-coded dots?

I'm guessing red dots are provincial capitals, and the blue dots appear to be ports (and occasionally a city -- such as York/Eoferwic -- are both). However, the brown dots have me stumped. Are they holy sites? Old Roman/Celtic fortifications?

Big red dots = non-port major settlements, big blue dot = port major settlements. Dark red/brown icons = 2 slot non-port minors, dark blue = port two slot minors.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • welshwarrior09welshwarrior09 Junior Member Posts: 44Registered Users
    It would be good in my opinion if there was an option to use original settlement names if you wanted and the factions have different accents.
    "Cymru am byth"
    kinjo said:

Ok here is my stab at the 10 playable factions and why I picked them

1. West Seaxe - confirmed
    2. Mierce - Secondary Saxon faction
    3. Northymbre - Main Danish faction in control of Eoferwic (Jorvik)
    4. Dyflin - Largest slave port in Europe under the Kings of Dublin and they are Norse
    5. Gwined - Main Welsh faction and faction of Rhodri the Great
    6. Strat Clut - Secondary Welsh faction with different start location
    7. Mide - Main Irish Faction and seat of the High King (Hill of Tara)
    8. Desmuma - Secondary Irish faction + Brian Boru faction
    9. Fortriu - main Pict faction
    10. Wild card - either another Pict/Scot, Norse, or East Engle

Brian Boru faction is Tuadmuma.
    edited December 2017
    I wonder does Athfhochla represent Kenneth McAlpine's quasi-Gaelo-Pictish faction?
    LESAMA said:

The whole concept of small villages is comparable to empire which also had resources outside the capitals with the difference that occupation means you probably will get the region of that province. In previous titles comparable systems could get annoying while you had to chase down you're enemy across the map. What also was the case in WH I. I really hope that the AI is able to handle such a system and that CA makes it so that it won't be a chase down across the map. Hope for lot's of river crossings and other chock points in order to defend regions without defensive capabilities. Like to hear in a next interview more in detail how this system will work out.

If you're talking about older RTW and M2TW ai's tendency to split forces was easily countered by cavalry stacks of 4-8 units. Right here it would represent raiding parties and fast response units respectively, unless we keep the R2TW stack system dependant on the lords that end up being 20/20 minor faction's only stack raiding through your least protected garnisons in the rear that can't anything against it which is hardly fun.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,162Registered Users
    Agreed. IT depends how this is implemented. In wh1 it was super annoying to constantly follow the enemy across the map in order to force it to a battle. They made some adjustments after complaints from the community which made it a lot better imo.

I understand that the new settlement system is in line with history and that it will probably mean more land battles. I just hope the new system with less defensive settlements provides other opportunities to counter this without getting annoying with just endless races across the map.
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,681Registered Users
    Well, first comment in a long long long time for me.

Reason is I'm so happy finally this division of regions follows a division of resources, allowing for a sort of 'dynamic' frontier system which was discussed in this forums... well... actually don't remember when. Before or after Shogun for sure. This will surely make for many interesting choices and some real strategy to happen.

The only thing that has to be done is to make sure the resources themselves are important enough so as to be reasons to go to war for or reasons for which to change or orientate your strategy. Not just merely 'bonuses' to what one may already have, but they may even be essential? After all, lack of resources is the first reason why the Vikings sailed to Britain and why the picts continued to sack out of their frontiers.

Really glad for this introduction into the series! :D Keep it up!
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    I hope the settlements battlemaos wont be open field like warhammer 1 but have building more like rots.
  • ShadowtwinzShadowtwinz Posts: 57Registered Users
    Getting overhyped huh ? Don't forget that This beauty can get ruined with core mechanics!
    You should criticize CA and point to which part can be improved.