Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thrones of Britannia – Campaign Map Reveal

Comments

• Kobe85Kobe85 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Love that you focus on making the campaign map as realistic as possible. I think many of us want to relive history, so as accurate as possible is appreciated. Please also try to make resource management, diplomacy and ruling of territories more vital for the outcome of the game. So that it is not just about conquering a new province so you can raise larger armies to conquer new territories, and then repeating the procedure. Personally I would love it if you would try to incorporate some management elements from Europa Universalis 4, which would put future total war games as the undisputed nr 1 strategy games. But maybe thats a long shot and definitely too late for thrones of britannia. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to more news!
  • OswulfOswulf Posts: 45Registered Users
    Will there be standing stones landmarks on the campaign map?
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Posts: 270Registered Users
    hey!

will we be able to interact more with strategic objects on the campaign map? sort of pose an objective on the campaign map like blockaded ports and raided trade routes. but more of it like gaining surplus through raiding cattle, farms; gaining goods/coins through raiding gold-/silver mines and chapels, and selling monks into slavery et c.
    ---Furthermore i am of the opinion, that the current Unit Count(20,21) must be lifted!!

Team Shadowgave
    Team Cao Wei________*(buff Cao faction under ai pls)
    Team Black Achilleez
    Team COMBAHT ANIMASHIUNZ
    Team Anti-DaveDave-theTyrant Coalition

there are billions, mindustry, factorio are perfect examples of artificial complexification done right
    oh tw! oh tw! your great potential will always remain hampered by 20 units cap and excessively generous line of sight (too much perfect intel)
  • sting663sting663 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Why is Shetland omitted from the map? Shetland was a major hub for the Vikings once they got rid of the picts? not to dissimilar to Orkney to which is on the map??

Shetland should be added to complete the fully history of this era.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    It's also miles away and adds nothing to gameplay.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 316Registered Users
    I hereby officially predict East Engle will be a playable faction.
  • NimroddNimrodd Posts: 5Registered Users
    Really good to see original names for factions, settlements etc. But i wondered why they decided to modernise spellings swapping up ƿ (wynn) for w
    Ƿest Seaxe, Cornƿalas
    and ð (eth) and þ (thorn) for th
    Norþhamtun, Baðancaester, Þeodford
    or getting rid of the æ in places like
    Æðelingaeg, Rendlæsham

It just seems to be more realistic to render the place names as they would have done at the time.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,905Registered Users
    alstl said:

I hereby officially predict East Engle will be a playable faction.

Well, East Engle should be Guthrums faction so it is likely. They will probably start out as a Christian Dane start, or atleast it is likely Guthrum will have an event chain deciding whether he shall stick with Christianity or return to Paganism. With Northymbrie and I am going to assume Dyflin being Pagan Dane starts. Of course at all times you could switch to Christianity. Personally I hope they encourage going Christian in game, much like in real life at the time basically the only thing holding you back from converting from Paganism to Christianity should be personal pride.
    Dyflin should be Norse from Norway from what I recall.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,349Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Nimrodd said:

Really good to see original names for factions, settlements etc. But i wondered why they decided to modernise spellings swapping up ƿ (wynn) for w
    Ƿest Seaxe, Cornƿalas
    Æðelingaeg, Rendlæsham

It just seems to be more realistic to render the place names as they would have done at the time.

Because those letters don't exist in all of the languages the game will be translated into, and most people don't know what those letters mean.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • EL_MIRADOREL_MIRADOR Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Jack_Lusted_CA
    Jack, why have you Hwitan Aerne on the beautiful map, but haven't Candida Casa?
    Where are abbey Kildare or Finnian?
  • DariosDarios Senior Member Posts: 427Registered Users
    Who would be in control of Ligeraceaster during this period?

Some of my ancestors were originally from Castle Donington :)
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,349Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff

Jack_Lusted_CA
    Jack, why have you Hwitan Aerne on the beautiful map, but haven't Candida Casa?
    Where are abbey Kildare or Finnian?

Hiwtan Aerne is the Old English name for Whithorn, which was known in Latin as Candida Casa.

Kildare is unfortunately too close to Naas, so it could not be included on the map.

I'm not sure where you mean by Finnian. If you're referring to either of the two early Irish missionaries of that name, Clonard is Cluain Iraird on the map, and Movilla is Moigle Bile.
    Darios said:

Who would be in control of Ligeraceaster during this period?

Some of my ancestors were originally from Castle Donington :)

It was part of what was called the Five Boroughs of the Danelaw, with Leicester seemingly ruled by its own Jarl, represent by the faction of Ledeborg on the map.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • EL_MIRADOREL_MIRADOR Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Jack_Lusted_CA
    Thank you, sir ))
    Say pls another one thing: faction Northleode - is this anglo-saxon part of big old kingdom of Northumbia? If it's true - is Northleode a vassal of new norman Northumbria?
    Faction Holdrness - who is it (saxon\norman)?
    Faction Sudreyar - scottish\pictish\norman?
    Factions Westmoringas & Westernas - brittish\saxon\norman?
    Other factions have known cultural markers in their names.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users

Jack_Lusted_CA
    Thank you, sir ))
    Say pls another one thing: faction Northleode - is this anglo-saxon part of big old kingdom of Northumbia? If it's true - is Northleode a vassal of new norman Northumbria?
    Faction Holdrness - who is it (saxon\norman)?
    Faction Sudreyar - scottish\pictish\norman?
    Factions Westmoringas & Westernas - brittish\saxon\norman?
    Other factions have known cultural markers in their names.

Holdrness is in the middle of a bunch or Norse settlements, and Westmoringas/Westernas were also areas of Norse influence. Those are all Norse suffixes on the settlement names too, AFAIK.

Sudreyar is the Norse settlement that became the Kingdom of the Isles later in the Middle Ages.

I'm confused by Northleode, though - from the little I've read I had the impression that area was mostly Saxon/Brythonic petty kingdoms left over from the collapse of (Saxon) Northumbria, and subject to competing influences from all the surrounding kingdoms. Google seems to indicate that the only occurrence of the word on the internet is on this map. Searching for the '-leode' suffix though suggests it means 'people' so I'd guess it means 'the people to/from the north.'

So, if you interpret it as 'Norsemen' it could be a Norse vassal of Northymbre, if you read it as 'People to the North,' it could be a Saxon/Brythonic mix (presumably with a Norse name given by the Danes of Northymbre). Either way I'm guessing it's CA's way of abstracting the relatively chaotic situation there into a single faction - presumably for gameplay reasons having 11x 1-region minor factions isn't desirable.
  • Galvinized_IronGalvinized_Iron Posts: 822Registered Users
    I approve of the new province system. Sounds exactly like what I wanted. Just managing the capitals and having the minor settlements as resources sounds like a great compromise between detail and gameplay. Good job!
    This is Stonehenge from previous titles, hopefully Thrones of Britannia will have some awesome historical landmarks and not just generic random ones.

Campaign Map

Battle Map

• EfixEfix Posts: 268Registered Users

Nimrodd said:

Ƿest Seaxe, Cornƿalas
    Æðelingaeg, Rendlæsham

Because those letters don't exist in all of the languages the game will be translated into, and most people don't know what those letters mean.
    It could be an official day one mod tho :p
    edited December 2017
    I didn't see any Horses on the resource map as a resource, I wonder if they are excluded for a reason or if they haven't been add yet?

Britain isn't known for its horses ...
  • NimroddNimrodd Posts: 5Registered Users
    Efix said:

Nimrodd said:

Ƿest Seaxe, Cornƿalas
    Æðelingaeg, Rendlæsham

It could be an official day one mod tho :p
    Or even just one of the language options ie: French, German, English, English (Original Spellings), Chinese

Although if they're going to do it properly it should extend to troop names like þegn for thane and rulers like Æþelræd (Aethelred)
    There are several small horse and pony breeds that were native to the British Isles like the Connemara pony and apparently there was horse races held in Kent during this period. There was also a horse resource in the British Isles in Attila.

Personally don't see any need for a horse resource.
    I don't see why they shouldn't be if they are connected to recruitment. I personally don't think a faction should be able to recruit mounted units unless they have access to horse herds especially during this period. Horse herds could also tie in really well with manpower if that is a feature in ToB.
    Oswulf said:

There are several small horse and pony breeds that were native to the British Isles like the Connemara pony and apparently there was horse races held in Kent during this period. There was also a horse resource in the British Isles in Attila.

Attila doesn't have horses as a resource. Some factions can build farms with a Horse branch, but they're not a resource.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    Glad to see the return of resource buildings outside of the main settlement!
    Yep you are right! just a building line to breed horses with some food, wealth, and horse upgrades.
    Oswulf said:

I don't see why they shouldn't be if they are connected to recruitment. I personally don't think a faction should be able to recruit mounted units unless they have access to horse herds especially during this period. Horse herds could also tie in really well with manpower if that is a feature in ToB.

I don't think it adds anything to the game. Same for things like timber. It's sufficient prevalent that I do not think it merits being a strategic resource. With the reduced importance of cavalry in this game, it makes even less sense to have horses as a resource in my opinion.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,905Registered Users
    Horse resources have usually been for Warhorse units, as seen in Shogun 2 where you didn't need them for Light Cavalry. There really aren't any cavalry units good enough in ToB to warrant a Warhorse during this period.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 316Registered Users
    Since shield wall was mentioned in historical documentation I'm guess that will be a primary factor in battles. I like the idea of horse being used to run off missile units and flank already engaged infantry but not being overpowered.