Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Thrones of Britannia – Campaign Map Reveal

Comments

• ShermanSherman Member Posts: 875Registered Users
    Oswulf said:

I don't see why they shouldn't be if they are connected to recruitment. I personally don't think a faction should be able to recruit mounted units unless they have access to horse herds especially during this period. Horse herds could also tie in really well with manpower if that is a feature in ToB.

They were a resource for units in Shogun II and to be honest, a very cool thing.
  • OswulfOswulf Posts: 45Registered Users
    Horses were very expensive and seems like horses as a resource would be necessary to recruit mounted units. I ran into something the other day about horse herds in the Moorlands in Britain during the period. As a resource there would be a lot you could do to limit mounted units. If you own a horse resource you could recruit mounted units or if you don't you could trade with a faction that has a horse resource with an additional cost tacked onto the recruitment price.

If the horse resource acted as a herd and propagated over time with an actual number of horses in the herd you could limit the amount of mounted units a faction has or make it difficult to acquire lots of cavalry. As for trade if a faction is recruiting mounted units through trade the faction trading horses could have a hit to herd growth while they are trading them. Anyways I'm sure CA has something planned out on how the will handle this.
  • carnatic13carnatic13 Posts: 3Registered Users
    The campaign map states that there will be different settlement styles across the varying regions.

I wondered if there would also be distinct settlement styles for those roman towns, all the caestres, cairs, cars and some others, where there would be perhaps more stone buildings as stone was a ready salvageable resource, some extant roman ruins and also a roman street pattern (as I know some, such as Chester and Winchester still have to this day).

Also, while I know most settlements would have to be based on a generic format, it would be cool if some of the more unique or recognisable settlements such as London, Tintagel, Bamburgh, Edinburgh and so on had bespoke maps.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users

The campaign map states that there will be different settlement styles across the varying regions.

I wondered if there would also be distinct settlement styles for those roman towns, all the caestres, cairs, cars and some others, where there would be perhaps more stone buildings as stone was a ready salvageable resource, some extant roman ruins and also a roman street pattern (as I know some, such as Chester and Winchester still have to this day).

Also, while I know most settlements would have to be based on a generic format, it would be cool if some of the more unique or recognisable settlements such as London, Tintagel, Bamburgh, Edinburgh and so on had bespoke maps.

No bespoke maps, but there'll be 16 major settlement maps based upon a variety of styles - old hillforts, roman towns etc.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff

Jack_Lusted_CA
    Thank you, sir ))
    Say pls another one thing: faction Northleode - is this anglo-saxon part of big old kingdom of Northumbia? If it's true - is Northleode a vassal of new norman Northumbria?
    Faction Holdrness - who is it (saxon\norman)?
    Faction Sudreyar - scottish\pictish\norman?
    Factions Westmoringas & Westernas - brittish\saxon\norman?
    Other factions have known cultural markers in their names.

For Northleode, I recommend if you have time reading Neil McGuigans PhD Thesis, Neither Scotland nor England, Middle Britain, C.850-1100 https://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/10023/7829/NeilMcGuiganPhDThesis.pdf?sequence=6

It's long at 100,000 odd words. Long, but part 2.4 on The Regnum Saxan Aquilonalium deals with what Northleode represents, an English dynasty centred on Bamburgh.

Holdrness is a vassal of Northymbre, part of breaking up the larger factions and also representing the fact that at the start date the new dynasty in Northymbre wouldn't have had a solid hold over all the old lands of Northumbria.

Sudreyar is the Kingdom of the Isles, Vikings that have settled in Western Scotland.

Westmoringas and Westernas are both English and again represented the likely fragmented nature of the old Northumbria lands.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • Butterkeks93Butterkeks93 Posts: 36Registered Users
    How are the defenses of those minor settlements gonna be organised?

I think upgradeable defenses would be quite a cool idea (like building trenches, Palisades, Walls etc...), like this every player could decide himself if he wants to go for more resources or a heavily fortified place at a chokepoint on the map.

I also loved the "Wonders"-Patch for Rome II, it gave those specific locations on the map (stonehenge) also a meaning and added some depth in your long term planning (simply because there is more on the map that is worth fighting for). Would it be possible to add something like this to ToB?

And last but not least, Rome II had a feature on some maps where you could place units inside buildings (like ETW did). Would it also be possible to include this feature to ToB? It adds a lot to the immersion of battles imo, it just always feels a little bit off to only fight for the walls of a city, but completely ignore all the buildings (and towers in the wall) that could help your archers to shoot out of safety. It would also add more tactics to the battles (e.g. you can't just "walk down the road", if there's a building full of archers with the entrance guarded by more enemies.

If that's too much work or simply not wished by the community, would it then be possible to add the Barricade-system from Attila?
    I loved the possibility to block one road (and with archers on it also very effective), yet it wasn't OP or something like that as it could be destroyed easily.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    There are no defenses for minor settlements, only the armies that you put there.

Certain landmarks on the map will also feature on the battlemap as well.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Will there be any building/campaign mechanic to reflect the development of burhs during this time period? Or is it assumed that provincial capitals essentially are burhs already.

While obviously the map wouldn't change, it would be quite cool if there was a building branch that allowed us to turn a provincial capital into a burh, giving the settlement a slightly larger garrison or something.
    Mattzo said:

Will there be any building/campaign mechanic to reflect the development of burhs during this time period? Or is it assumed that provincial capitals essentially are burhs already.

While obviously the map wouldn't change, it would be quite cool if there was a building branch that allowed us to turn a provincial capital into a burh, giving the settlement a slightly larger garrison or something.

Provincial capitals are the burhs. Remember than in reality a burh had a number of surrounding villages dependant on it, and when under threat it was the burh that served as the defences with the villages still villages. The game is still being worked on and balanced etc. but we are working to try and represent the burhs as we can through the province capitals.

• Butterkeks93Butterkeks93 Posts: 36Registered Users

There are no defenses for minor settlements, only the armies that you put there.

Thx for the quick answer! God I love these games, especially the fact that CA goes in their forums and discusses with their fans :)

Have you guys then already decided about the army mechanics? Is it gonna be like in ME2 or like in the newer games like Attila?

Could be a bit hard to defend all those villages if armies can't split up?
    edited December 2017

Mattzo said:

Provincial capitals are the burhs. Remember than in reality a burh had a number of surrounding villages dependant on it, and when under threat it was the burh that served as the defences with the villages still villages. The game is still being worked on and balanced etc. but we are working to try and represent the burhs as we can through the province capitals.
    Okay, thanks.

Makes sense. I just liked the idea of a bit of player input going into burhs - even if its an extra garrison unit, or bonus food, or something. So I can say "this is not just a provincial capital, but one of my chosen refuges against the heathen invaders."

To make it clear - I wouldn't expect this to apply to minor settlements, just to make some provincial capitals a bit more special. Maybe its just the top tier of the city chain has some flavour text about being a fully developed burh.
  • SplenyattaSplenyatta Posts: 11Registered Users
    I'm from Snotingaham :(

Looks great though, looking forward to seeing more!

Jack_Lusted_CA
    Thank you, sir ))
    Say pls another one thing: faction Northleode - is this anglo-saxon part of big old kingdom of Northumbia? If it's true - is Northleode a vassal of new norman Northumbria?
    Faction Holdrness - who is it (saxon\norman)?
    Faction Sudreyar - scottish\pictish\norman?
    Factions Westmoringas & Westernas - brittish\saxon\norman?
    Other factions have known cultural markers in their names.

For Northleode, I recommend if you have time reading Neil McGuigans PhD Thesis, Neither Scotland nor England, Middle Britain, C.850-1100 https://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/10023/7829/NeilMcGuiganPhDThesis.pdf?sequence=6

It's long at 100,000 odd words. Long, but part 2.4 on The Regnum Saxan Aquilonalium deals with what Northleode represents, an English dynasty centred on Bamburgh.

Holdrness is a vassal of Northymbre, part of breaking up the larger factions and also representing the fact that at the start date the new dynasty in Northymbre wouldn't have had a solid hold over all the old lands of Northumbria.

Sudreyar is the Kingdom of the Isles, Vikings that have settled in Western Scotland.

Westmoringas and Westernas are both English and again represented the likely fragmented nature of the old Northumbria lands.
    It is quite interesting historically, and I had noticed the the modern English/Scottish border doesn't exist in the campaign map and it's good to see that level of historical accuracy, though I wouldn't be surprised if some people complain on release that it's a mistake. As far as I know there would have been more anglo-saxon influence in parts of south eastern Scotland than there would have been in parts of north western England, with Brythonic kingdoms linking Wales right up to Strathclyde, while Edinburgh was at one time part of Northumbria, much later on, Carlisle even got to be briefly capital of Scotland.

It is quite interesting historically, and I had noticed the the modern English/Scottish border doesn't exist in the campaign map and it's good to see that level of historical accuracy, though I wouldn't be surprised if some people complain on release that it's a mistake. As far as I know there would have been more anglo-saxon influence in parts of south eastern Scotland than there would have been in parts of north western England, with Brythonic kingdoms linking Wales right up to Strathclyde, while Edinburgh was at one time part of Northumbria, much later on, Carlisle even got to be briefly capital of Scotland.

The area round Carlisle had been English for many centuries at this point, with Strathclyde being the only Briton/Welsh area left by the time of the game.

edited December 2017

The area round Carlisle had been English for many centuries at this point, with Strathclyde being the only Briton/Welsh area left by the time of the game.
    English or Northumbrian? I had looked at the thesis you linked, and flicked through some of it. It does seem the gist is that the Northumbria of the time was a more multi-cultural place than it is often portrayed with Angles, Britons, Scots, Picts, Norse and Danes intermingling but all part of this kingdom with Anglian rulers.

It also postulates that the Westmoringas, although clearly an English name, were seen as 'Pictish' though this might just mean British.

English or Northumbrian? I had looked at the thesis you linked, and flicked through some of it. It does seem the gist is that the Northumbria of the time was a more multi-cultural place than it is often portrayed with Angles, Britons, Scots, Picts, Norse and Danes intermingling but all part of this kingdom with Anglian rulers.

It also postulates that the Westmoringas, although clearly an English name, were seen as 'Pictish' though this might just mean British.

Both English and Northumbrian as the kingdom ruled North West England in the centuries preceding the start date of Thrones.

The thesis is quite rich in info, and I'd advise against just flicking through it. The reference to Westmoringas as 'Pictish' comes from Anglo-Norman writers who used the term Pict to refer to a wide range of peoples and also had their own biases. From what we know there is no reason to doubt that North West England was anything apart from English in this period.

• riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users
    Are the Irish factions all independent or will some be dependent on each other, either through vassalage or some sort of dynastic confederation?
    riadach said:

Are the Irish factions all independent or will some be dependent on each other, either through vassalage or some sort of dynastic confederation?

Tuadmuma, Desmuma and Iarmuma all start as vassals of Caisil, otherwise no other Irish factions are vassals of any other.

• riadachriadach Posts: 161Registered Users

riadach said:

Tuadmuma, Desmuma and Iarmuma all start as vassals of Caisil, otherwise no other Irish factions are vassals of any other.
    That makes a lot of sense. But would you consider making Airgíalla vassals of Aileach? Aileach may need it, it was dominant in the North through much of the period, but Ulaidh seems quite strong judging from the fact it hold two whole provinces on the map.
  • NimroddNimrodd Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    What font are you going to use for the map in game? I'm hoping for some like this:
    used in texts like the Nowell Codex (Beowulf) and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles. Although you'll have to create some new letters as you've ruled out giving us ƿ for w.

It's all these little period details that makes for a really immersive game. It really makes you want to find out more about the period the game is set
    Post edited by Nimrodd on
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    I must say as a dutch Guy I can imagine that the details in the previous posts can be a bit overwhelming. I hope ca realizes that only a small part of their buyers cares about these kind of details and instead just want to play a great strategy game which in my opinion is more about gameplay than aileach...
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 875Registered Users

What about garrisons? People with a stick at least?
  • NimroddNimrodd Posts: 5Registered Users
    Sherman said:

Yes I find this odd too.
    I'm from the Isle of Man (featured on the map as Manu), where the Vikings set up a system of 6 sheadings, putting every able-bodies man on watch in groups of 4, and they had to provide their own weapons! To this day the captains are theoretically responsible for raising local militia if threatened. I'd assume that many places at the time had a similar system, even if the militia they raise is of poor quality.

Maybe building a muster field in your province capital would allow you to organise such as system?
  • EfixEfix Posts: 263Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Sherman said:

Nobody fight battles vs 3-4 unit garrison it's insta auto resolve so what's the point instead you will have to commit a small army to defend I like it.
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 682Registered Users
    What kind of garrison would an Abbey have? Or a farm? Or a Tin mine?

Minor settlements function like the regional buildings in Empire, it's just that now they have their on region instead of being part of the same region of the main settlement like they were in Empire. I personally like this change, it fits with the setting much better.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,384Registered Users
    As I understand it, the point of the burhs was for the outlying population to flee there in times of invasion - could be interesting if minor settlements boosted the garrison of the main settlement a little bit.
  • Paddy234Paddy234 Senior Member Posts: 353Registered Users
    LESAMA said:

I must say as a dutch Guy I can imagine that the details in the previous posts can be a bit overwhelming. I hope ca realizes that only a small part of their buyers cares about these kind of details and instead just want to play a great strategy game which in my opinion is more about gameplay than aileach...

That isn't true. I learnt alot from Japanese history and warfare from the large amount of small details presented in shogun 2 which interested me very much. I'm confident the events that occurred in these two Islands which at one point were the last bastions of hope for western civilization will interest many and will teach many including myself some of the history of these times
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Paddy234 said:

LESAMA said:

That isn't true. I learnt alot from Japanese history and warfare from the large amount of small details presented in shogun 2 which interested me very much. I'm confident the events that occurred in these two Islands which at one point were the last bastions of hope for western civilization will interest many and will teach many including myself some of the history of these times
    I also like the historical games. Name places i could honestly care less. Just as who was allied to who. Gameplay is much more important to me.
  • Nortrix87Nortrix87 Senior Member Posts: 991Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    God Jul! Merry Christmas! Folks :) :)

May Odin bring you some good gifts ;)

Post edited by Nortrix87 on
    "We men are the monsters now. The time of heroes is dead, Wiglaf - the Christ God has killed it, leaving humankind with nothing but weeping martyrs, fear, and shame."

- Beowulf
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    Did you guys know Christmas is pagan. Kind of ironic.