Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ability to "turn off" forests on battle map.

SarmatiansSarmatians Posts: 2,272Registered Users
Not literally turn them off, of course. When camera is close to the forest, leaves and branches automatically become transparent in a small area where the camera is looking.

The problem is, that area is indeed very small and often can not encompass your entire army. As soon as the battle starts, confusion starts as you many units (yours and enemies) and engagements are hard to see from the trees. You constantly have to move camera around and lose precious time because you have to zoom in/zoom out and try to find perfect angle to see what's happening.

And then you have to move to another are of the map to do the same thing. It's not a problem on maps where there are just patches of trees, but on heavily wooded maps, things can become chaotic very easy. It's such a problem that I avoid heavily wooded areas even with Wood Elves. In Single Player mode, it's not a huge problem because you can always pause, but in multiplayer it's a huge issue.

So, I would propose a solution, a simple ON/OFF toggle, which, if turned on, makes all leaves, branches etc... on the entire map transparent, and not just in the small area camera is looking at.

Sure, you could go to tactical map, but unit cards are not visible there.

It would alleviate the confusion for the most part and make battles on heavily wooded maps more enjoyable.

Comments

• eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 2,277Registered Users
    Strongly Supported, but this toggle has to be more extreme than the current zoom in options. Currently with the big trees you can barely see anything even if you zoom in.

Let us enjoy the woods in the replays and enjoy seeing our units locations in the woods during the battle.
  • PocmanPocman Posts: 1,917Registered Users
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 14,395Registered Users
    No, put in colored rim lighting so you can see your units behind the trees and foliage, just like in TW Arena.

• SarmatiansSarmatians Posts: 2,272Registered Users
    I don't care about the actual solution, I'd just like a solution. Although a simple on/off toggle where forests end up cut or invisible does seem a better solution to me.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 3,786Registered Users
    Sounds like the trees are working properly to me. What is battle without a little confusion?
    Then use the character camera and have all the confusion you want.

Sounds like the trees are working properly to me. What is battle without a little confusion?

It's not a little confusion. It's you literally can't find your or your enemy units in the deep woods. I had a game recently where the enemy stayed in the woods and I never even knew what his units were that I was fighting until the game was over. Much less flanking, etc...
  • MinosethMinoseth Posts: 7Registered Users
    I agree with it; the trees need to be cut ^^!
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 3,786Registered Users
    eumaies said:

It's not a little confusion. It's you literally can't find your or your enemy units in the deep woods. I had a game recently where the enemy stayed in the woods and I never even knew what his units were that I was fighting until the game was over. Much less flanking, etc...
    So your problem is really that you can't find the 5 seconds of time it takes to scroll in and check. I sure wish I had your kind of micro skill where even a few seconds within the entirety of a battle is too much to divert your attention towards checking what unit you're fighting.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 14,395Registered Users

eumaies said:

So your problem is really that you can't find the 5 seconds of time it takes to scroll in and check. I sure wish I had your kind of micro skill where even a few seconds within the entirety of a battle is too much to divert your attention towards checking what unit you're fighting.
    Not being able to see what's going on is not a positive thing. Especially not if you play as a faction that's supposed to be adapted to forest fighting like Beastmen or Wood Elves. If you argue for verisimilitude then you might as well play all battles from the view of your general's unit.

eumaies said:

Oh in the contrary I had nothing to do the whole battle. I spent the whole battle trying to peer into the thick tall woods to find out where the fights were and what my enemy brought. It was not possible to catch anything more than glimpses. All I had to do that battle was send routing units back into the woods if they rallied. I never once was able to find out where the enemy Mage was but I'm pretty sure there were some Phoenix guards and a few archers.
    edited January 10
    In general, it is responsible for some very chaotic battles.

The side that ends up winning is the side which gets more lucky that their own units ended fighting more favourable individual match ups.

You know something is wrong when even Wood Elves players avoid fighting in large, dense forests. Forests bonus is not enough to mitigate not knowing what your units are doing.
  • DandalusXVIIDandalusXVII Posts: 3,914Registered Users
    Well said. I 100% agree on this.

You know something is wrong when even Wood Elves players avoid fighting in large, dense forests. Forests bonus is not enough to mitigate not knowing what your units are doing.

And additionally that trees block Wood Elves shots ...... -.-''' really annoying.
    Minoseth said:

And additionally that trees block Wood Elves shots ...... -.-''' really annoying.
    I said make tree units give forest bonus in an area around each tree model.
    Or give Wood Elves a trait that allows to shoot through trees (because mastery archers bla bla)
  • AtrebatesAtrebates Posts: 7Registered Users
    GOD YES.

It is very unfun to deal with woods because you can't see. I don't think this is intentional on CA's part because they offer some options to alleviate it.

I would be happy to remove foliage at further out zoom levels, or add a troop glow (coloured rim lighting) that makes them visible through the trees.

(I think troop glow is the better solution, as this also fixes a related complaint of it being hard to get an overview of how combat is going when zoomed out; Total Warhammer units tend to similar muted colour palettes.)
  • brammo1991brammo1991 Junior Member Posts: 31Registered Users
    I think a simple solution would be to make trees completely transparant when hovering over them with the camera, this allows the player to properly command his or her units around.

I assume this wasn't addressed in the patch?

Shame that so many maps suck only because of this.
    I don't think it was pointed out early enough. And, at least with this patch, they did have their hands full.

Hopefully we get some kind of solution in May.
    edited January 21
    Minoseth said:

Or give Wood Elves a trait that allows to shoot through trees (because mastery archers bla bla)

Already community asked for their arrows to ignore trees. There is a thread also.
  • glosskilosglosskilos Posts: 869Registered Users
    I agree with this. Id love to be able to play games on le maisontal abbey without screaming.
    Shameless bump. This shouldn't be ignored.
    Game needs patching monthly, other less successful games have monthly support and CA abandons this much successful title, isn't this odd? No, it's stupid.
  • ImKabachokImKabachok Posts: 2Registered Users
    +1 I agree. Trees become a big problem when I play wood elfs in they little campain.
    Cmon ca so many parts of so many of your maps are unplayable right now please address this!
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,045Registered Users
    edited March 10
    The solution seems easy enough, the agme just causes all trees to be translucent (re see through yet still leave outlines) so that players can see and manage armies efficiently.

Otherwise, you might as well invent new spells where a character can cause the opponent's screen to go black for ten minutes. Issues like these is one of the many reasons I just resort to auto-resolve. It ain't because I'm lazy, it's because battle mode is buggy or broken, or just plain sucks.

It's also a major reason why I hate quest battles.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 2,012Registered Users
    Atrebates said:

GOD YES.

It is very unfun to deal with woods because you can't see. I don't think this is intentional on CA's part because they offer some options to alleviate it.

I would be happy to remove foliage at further out zoom levels, or add a troop glow (coloured rim lighting) that makes them visible through the trees.

(I think troop glow is the better solution, as this also fixes a related complaint of it being hard to get an overview of how combat is going when zoomed out; Total Warhammer units tend to similar muted colour palettes.)

So basically, the most painless solution would be a toggle to enable unit occlusion.
    For the time being hold space.
    Any news on whether ca can address this?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file