Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Napoleon: Total War Wargame Project Discussion

MasterOfCybertronMasterOfCybertron Junior MemberPosts: 9Registered Users
Hi, my name is Maxim Klose, I am student at Bard College and I am conducting research for my project on the player’s experience with wargames and how player’s experience and understand historical knowledge. For this research I need opinions and responses to some questions that I invite anyone to answer as your thoughts are what I am most interested in. Participating in this forum discussion, per post should take no longer than 15 minutes. If you decide to participate in this discussion, you may experience some direct risks in that you may feel discomfort due to eye strain at looking at a screen while you respond. Also, I intend to maintain confidentiality of any who decides to participate and in my research, I won’t refer to your account names and use pseudonyms, like Participant 1 or something like that. Some benefits from your engagement are that we engage in a thoughtful discussion on some questions that I pose and that you can post your thoughts freely on your own subjective experience with Napoleon: Total War.

By choosing to engage in this discussion you are implicitly agreeing to participate in this discussion, however at any moment you may exit this discussion for any reason in this forum and I will not use any of your responses in my research. Furthermore, I will only use information you provide me in this particular discussion and nowhere else. At any moment I encourage you to ask any questions you may have about the project and if you would like to contact me directly you can use this email: [email protected], or you may contact my research supervisor using this email: [email protected] If you have questions about your rights as a research participant, you can contact the chair of Bard’s Institutional Review Board at [email protected]
Thank you for helping me out with my research.

I sincerely ask that you read this post on consent and begin your posts with “I agree to the above consent agreement,” if you would like your posts to be used for research and to make your consent explicit. I will only use posts to which you explicitly consent to.

If this consent and discussion format does not suit you, I invite you to engage in a fully confidential and anonymous online survey through Survey Monkey and/or Google Forms on the same topic (Google Forms: https://goo.gl/forms/chBKszBW9HBpKCgg2, Survey Monkey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CZ235Q5). I will keep the survey responses secure in a password-protected file on my personal computer. Only my faculty adviser and I will have access to this information. Upon completion of this project, all surveys will be deleted.

Once again, I give many thanks to anyone who helps me with my research!

So here is a question to start this discussion off: To what extent do you think the developers were encoding some kinds of historical knowledge into Napoleon: Total War? What might be some encoded elements of historical knowledge?

I will also post new questions later as time goes on.