Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

First Thrones of Britannia Cinematic In Engine Trailer

CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 681Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team
edited January 2018 in News and Announcements

Patience is not thy will.

Watch the first in-engine cinematic trailer for a Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia, here.

Alfred the Great’s victory at the Battle of Edington, in which he stood fast against the Viking invaders and changed the future of the British Isles, marks the player’s starting point for the playable faction of West Seaxe

Wishlist Thrones of Britannia here!

Comments

• PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Posts: 765Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    So recycled units from Attila???
    After Warhammer look those units seems pretty disappointing.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,343Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff

None of the unit parts there are from Attila.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • alsaadialsaadi Posts: 18Registered Users
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Nice. Liking the look of that armour and weapon design on the troops.

Jack, has there been much of an upgrade in terms of unit detail since Attila? Some of the textures on that chain mail look pretty high res in comparison to how I remember in that game.
  • PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Posts: 765Registered Users
    edited January 2018

Ok No offence but they seem pretty boring or too similar , after Warhammer I and II I expected something more accurate, varied and detailed :smile:

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,840Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Pretty slick! Can hardly wait for it to be released.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • TolgharTolghar Posts: 96Registered Users
    Any chance of seeing visual armor upgrades return?
    Tolghar said:

+1

That would be a touch!
  • A_MushroomA_Mushroom Posts: 278Registered Users

Ok No offence but they seem pretty boring or too similar , after Warhammer I and II I expected something more accurate, varied and detailed :smile:
    You can actually seen cracks in the shield from previous battles, I see different capes, pants, shoes, helmets, shields, swords, jewelry and even different forms of facial hair... You don't think its detailed enough? This looks amazing, as always from CA. The reason they are less shiny is more likely because they don't wear same fantasy style outfits as they do in Warhammer.

I know the wave of animation complaints from the youtube hasn't hit here yet but; please tell me when human beings starting walking different between 453 and 878 AD when they do arrive.

Anyway, this looks quite good. I'm interested to see how these campaign mechanics are going to play out and how the engine has changed ^^
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,540Registered Users

I know the wave of animation complaints from the youtube hasn't hit here yet but; please tell me when human beings starting walking different between 453 and 878 AD when they do arrive.

Yeah that is what I sometimes don't get:
    do people expect CA to throw away existing animations, in a game what uses the same engine and is till melee base combat?

I mean new animations are certainly welcome, but I see no rational to delete the good old animations only to do new ones.

Thou maybe CA release schedule got too complicated for people and they assume this a "major" historical TW, instated of Attila/Charlgemange TW like.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    I don't get all the fuss about new animations. The pace of combat means you play fully zoomed out all the time anyway. They could honestly change every one for this game and I wouldn't have a clue they'd gone to the trouble most probably.
  • RotarrinRotarrin Junior Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    I really hope the combat shown in the trailer won't be typical of what we see in the game. Battles in this period tended to be about the shield-wall, not one-on-one sword duels.

I don't expect much realism from the Total War series, but at least a few nods to historical authenticity would be appreciated.
  • TolgharTolghar Posts: 96Registered Users
    Rotarrin said:

I really hope the combat shown in the trailer won't be typical of what we see in the game. Battles in this period tended to be about the shield-wall, not one-on-one sword duels.

I don't expect much realism from the Total War series, but at least a few nods to historical authenticity would be appreciated.

I also would like to see Spears and polearms becoming dominant battle field weapon like how it was back in the fay. Those halberdiers from medieval 2......
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    The fuss about animations confuses me. How many ways are there to swing an axe at someone?

The shieldwall is a toggle ability. So that's fine.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • A_MushroomA_Mushroom Posts: 278Registered Users
    Rotarrin said:

Are you suggesting Total War isn't historically accurate enough?
    SiWI said:

do people expect CA to throw away existing animations, in a game what uses the same engine and is till melee base combat?

I mean new animations are certainly welcome, but I see no rational to delete the good old animations only to do new ones.

Thou maybe CA release schedule got too complicated for people and they assume this a "major" historical TW, instated of Attila/Charlgemange TW like.
    Haha yes and suppose they do then the price would go up which would cause the same uproar!
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,840Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Fredrin said:

I don't get all the fuss about new animations. The pace of combat means you play fully zoomed out all the time anyway. They could honestly change every one for this game and I wouldn't have a clue they'd gone to the trouble most probably.

Quite so.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • ctrlbadgerctrlbadger Posts: 1Registered Users
    Wow, game looks awesome!

One thing that seems slightly off though is the Character of Alfred the great here.
    Alfred wasn't this great hero at the start of his reign. He was the runt of 5 sons and was known to be weak and sickly. Many people believe he had Crone's desease.

The way you are portraying Alfred here seems to be a larger than life Hollywood hero where in fact he was a very weak ruler. The allegory of Alfred burning the cakes is about how he was not keeping watch over his country and had let it fall to vikings. Alfred's rule was full of mistakes and this trailer and hopefully not the game needs to show that.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,343Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff

Wow, game looks awesome!

One thing that seems slightly off though is the Character of Alfred the great here.
    Alfred wasn't this great hero at the start of his reign. He was the runt of 5 sons and was known to be weak and sickly. Many people believe he had Crone's desease.

The way you are portraying Alfred here seems to be a larger than life Hollywood hero where in fact he was a very weak ruler. The allegory of Alfred burning the cakes is about how he was not keeping watch over his country and had let it fall to vikings. Alfred's rule was full of mistakes and this trailer and hopefully not the game needs to show that.

He is a hero at the start of the game. He's just defeated the Great Viking Army at the Battle of Edington, securing a hard-fought for peace. Yes he had health problems, but he led his troops into many battles so he was certainly capable of fighting.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited January 2018

He is a hero at the start of the game. He's just defeated the Great Viking Army at the Battle of Edington, securing a hard-fought for peace. Yes he had health problems, but he led his troops into many battles so he was certainly capable of fighting.

This^

Out of interest, will he have a trait in his character details screen to reflect his ailing health? That seems like a good solution.
  • alsaadialsaadi Posts: 18Registered Users
    Please expand the city and make it available listings for the construction of 6 to 9 and make the importance of trade for example from the basic income 1000 without trade in the case of trade income 2500 and improve diplomacy for example this picture is beautiful how beautiful it allows you to choose a lot and form political wars

• Warrior_OWarrior_O Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    @JackLustedCA

Will you bring back the ability to swap regions/provinces with another player like in ETW? This seems like a good place to do so, given that regions during this time period had a new king every 50 years or so...
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 503Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Warrior_O said:

@JackLustedCA

Will you bring back the ability to swap regions/provinces with another player like in ETW? This seems like a good place to do so, given that regions during this time period had a new king every 50 years or so...

Great idea.
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • Butterkeks93Butterkeks93 Posts: 36Registered Users
    Tolghar said:

Oh yes Lord, please...

One of the main reasons i still Play ME 2^^
    Warrior_O said:

@JackLustedCA

And this also +1
  • footsliderfootslider Member Posts: 16Registered Users
    I would love having a guide to where everyone's last names originated in England. I know mine is the northern part maybe York. It would be cool to have this in the game map. Defend York at all cost!
  • ThorgornThorgorn Posts: 19Registered Users
    Looks amazing, is there any pc specs for this yet?
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators
    Thorgorn said:

Looks amazing, is there any pc specs for this yet?

Not yet. But since it is based on the Attila engine I would expect just slightly better specs for this.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • lahaiesaintelahaiesainte Posts: 3Registered Users
    SiWI said:

Thou maybe CA release schedule got too complicated for people and they assume this a "major" historical TW, instated of Attila/Charlgemange TW like.</blockquote

Am i the only one that much prefers the animations from Rome 2 than Attila. Combat is much more cinematic in Rome 2. I hope the combat is improved from Attila as in my opinion is quite disappointing. I still play Rome 2 for this reason only. I agree keep the previous animations but improve them from Attila!!(eliminate the one that make the heads explode with a stub!)