Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

A couple of suggestions about the sieges for the future.

TsiarTsiar Posts: 95Registered Users
edited January 10 in Feedback & Suggestions
Hello,

So, it's pretty clear that no big overhaul to the sieges is gonna happen. Okay, a pity, but that's how it is. But I have two suggestions for the next game that I think would improve the sieges. One is probably pretty big, the other (relatively) easy. Starting with the "easy" one:

Make all the maps three-sided, not one or two-sided. I know you can't do fully 4 sided maps since units no longer flee to the square/victory point but to the nearest map edge, so making fully "surroundable" sieges is out of the question. But please give us the next best thing. I know you can, because you made some three-sided maps for TWW2, even if the walls aren't all equal in length. Give that layout for every faction with cities and don't worry about people noticing the copypaste, because we already notice it.

Now the more Charlemagne intensive one: more options in the sieges themselves, with the units that are already in game.
For this, I'll copy a post on Reddit that put it very well:
"Siege maps do not play well with a ton of systems present in the game. Just look at the spell browser for example. Count the amount of spells that have the "cannot target: on walls" clause in them. Look at all the grounded, larger than man-sized units in the game. None of them can man or scale walls, they cannot man siege equipment, either battering rams of siege towers. Even the largest among them cannot bash down walls, in fact Mammoths, Giants, Trolls, Arachnarok Spiders, Vargulf, you name it cannot interact with walls in any capacity."

If you can't make all of them have some interaction in the sieges beyond battering down the gates then please, pretty please, give the spiders the ability to climb walls. They even have that ability in the lore IIRC.

Post edited by Tsiar on

Comments

• TsiarTsiar Posts: 95Registered Users
    edited January 10
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 14,320Registered Users
    Tsiar said:

Hello,
    Make all the maps three-sided, not one or two-sided. I know you can't do fully 4 sided maps since units no longer flee to the square/victory point but to the nearest map edge, so making fully "surroundable" sieges is out of the question. But please give us the next best thing. I know you can, because you made some three-sided maps for TWW2, even if the walls aren't all equal in length. Give that layout for every faction with cities and don't worry about people noticing the copypaste, because we already notice it.

In Shogun2 units would flee to the borders of the map, not to the castle square. The spectacle is silly display (actually, shameful), because the troops run in a straight line. The siege maps are much more simplified but nevertheless can be attacked from all sides. In most maps, at least.

With recent siege maps I've played I think they have enough sides. The enemy could easily flank because garrison size restrictions; having even greater service area means ability to defend with just garrisons leads to the problem of garrison size and army camping, of which it only exacerbates because full stacks are less effective.

This is also the more "Charlemagne-intensive" one since you are talking about redesigning a lot of maps.
    Tsiar said:

more options in the sieges themselves, with the units that are already in game.
    For this, I'll copy a post on Reddit that put it very well:
    "Siege maps do not play well with a ton of systems present in the game. Just look at the spell browser for example. Count the amount of spells that have the "cannot target: on walls" clause in them. Look at all the grounded, larger than man-sized units in the game. None of them can man or scale walls, they cannot man siege equipment, either battering rams of siege towers. Even the largest among them cannot bash down walls, in fact Mammoths, Giants, Trolls, Arachnarok Spiders, Vargulf, you name it cannot interact with walls in any capacity."
    Is this quote suppose to explain or propose something?
    Most monster units can attack gates. if you want versatility you also bring artillery units. if your monsters can fly they can bypass them altogether.
    There should be distinct roles in battle mode, including that of sieges. Monsters have their distinct roles, it just so happens it does not include manning equipment or bashing down walls, since infantry does the former and artillery does the latter. Monsters can fly over and attack garrison units, or attack the gate instead of your infantry.
    You're asking for solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.
    Whoever posted that reddit comment doesn't appreciate the roles all units play in their respective army. Do we want Empire petards that can attack walls too?

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file