Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Announcing a New Total War Era

Comments

• The_KushThe_Kush Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm so disappointed! Been waiting years - yes years - for the next historical title!

I wish CA would stop making games set in the pre-gun powder age! Enough with the swords, spears and arrows.

I really wanted Victoria/Empire 2. Sick of melee combat. I want muskets, rifles and cannons!

Oh well, maybe see shot and pike or something similar in 2020. Until then, hopefully another studio will fill the gap and produce something interesting!
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 291Registered Users
    Have they announced a time frame for the expected release of this game?
  • Darth_KenobiDarth_Kenobi Posts: 1Registered Users
    Finally, I have been waiting ages for this to happen. First by praying for some talented modders to create the Three Kingdoms Era for either Attila or Rome II but alas that did not happen. Now I finally have something to wait for at the end of this year.

I wonder how the General Units are going to be like. Please try not to get towards the Hero side like Warhammer Total War I & II. Even the famed Guan Yu did not charge out to face his enemies single-handedly unless its an honorable duel where both parties are present. There will always be the company of men that will follow their respective General to battle, much like how the Praetorian Guards are responsible for the Emperor in war and peace.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 34,419Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    alstl said:

Have they announced a time frame for the expected release of this game?

Yes. Autumn 2018. It's in the FAQ here https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/211407/total-war-three-kingdoms-faq

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Posts: 936Registered Users
    The_Kush said:

I'm so disappointed! Been waiting years - yes years - for the next historical title!

I wish CA would stop making games set in the pre-gun powder age! Enough with the swords, spears and arrows.

I really wanted Victoria/Empire 2. Sick of melee combat. I want muskets, rifles and cannons!

Oh well, maybe see shot and pike or something similar in 2020. Until then, hopefully another studio will fill the gap and produce something interesting!

I agree, TW R 2, Attila, and now ToB and 3 K, all in a row. It's way past time.
  • CrotizCrotiz Posts: 3Registered Users
    This is great news, really.

It's not what I wanted, because what I want to really see is Medieval 3 kingdoms. For me, this was the best total war, with the best expansion as well. Played countless of hours on this game and I still have fun every time I play it.

I will however play buy and play this game as I have with any other total war game.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Thank you, CA.
  • david_amrdavid_amr Posts: 1Registered Users
    Disappointing setting.
    Should've been Medieval 2 / Renaissance.

CA is giving us 2 monocultural historic titles, this one and Thrones.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,092Registered Users
    david_amr said:

Disappointing setting.

Medieval 2 already exists.
  • TheodoreTheodore Member Posts: 91Registered Users
    I have been advocating a China themed total war for years. Personaly i would have preferred one set during the warring states period but I am sure that will come up in an eventual expansion. For those of you who are worried about unit diversity don't be. Like the Romans Chinese armies used a lot of foreign solders, elephant riders from india, horse archers from central asia for example. If you want a gunpowder theme than I am also sure that there will eventually be an expansion featuring the era in China that saw the appearance of the worlds first gunpowder weapons.
    By the way, China's warring states period would make an ideal setting for a total war game.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warring_States_period
    Commisar said:

david_amr said:

Disappointing setting.

Don't be a smartass, obviously you know he meant medieval 3 or anything in that era.
    edited January 2018
    Crotiz said:

Commisar said:

david_amr said:

Disappointing setting.

Don't be a smartass, obviously you know he meant medieval 3 or anything in that era.
    Yep but when people keep saying what should and shouldn't be done as if it's fact, when they should proof read I will treat them like that.
    Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And as I have said before, I would love for a medieval 3, but I respect CA's decision to make another shogun.
    Crotiz said:

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And as I have said before, I would love for a medieval 3, but I respect CA's decision to make another shogun.

I have no problem with opinion, but then it's not "should" but a "I would of preferred". 3k isn't top of my list but I still think it will be interesting and bring us a step closer to one day getting a full world map in a TW game.
  • SkidvarSkidvar Junior Member Posts: 28Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    I'm pretty sure that this (first) campaign in the year 190 will feature at least the following playable factions at some point:
    - Dong Zhuo
    - Liu Bei (who later formed the Shu empire)
    - Cao Cao (who later shaped the Wei empire)
    - Sun Jian (whose sons later shaped the Wu empire)
    - Yuan Shao (who was the leader of the Dong Zhuo coalition)
    - Yuan Shu (who was Yuan Shao's half-brother and at some point declared himself emperor before there were any of the other three kingdoms)
    - Gongsun Zan (under whose command Liu Bei and his brothers fought in the Dong Zhuo coalition; after the coalition he formed an alliance with Yuan Shu)
    - Liu Biao (who formed an alliance with Yuan Shao against his rival Yuan Shu)

There will be plenty of other factions, e.g. Liu Yan, Han Fu, (Ma Teng/Han Sui in some form), Tao Qian, Zhang Lu, Kong Rong, Zhang Yang, Zhang Yan to name a few.

But as this is a time period with many factions rising and several cities without authority (especially in the southern regions), it may even be possible that CA implements the option of custom playable factions as was done by most other strategy games based on the Three Kingdoms.
    Post edited by Skidvar on
  • Preliminary7Preliminary7 Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    This is going to be a GREAT YEAR! Dynasty Warrior 9 open world coming out and this!

Thank you CA for listening to us I've been waiting a long time for China. Do please read the list of new mechanic in Steam to know what our wishes are for Three Kingdom

• Preliminary7Preliminary7 Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    Please let there be duel, new units, new formation, tiger warfare animal, camel, defection, capture, execute, release mechanic.

and hopefully dueling would play out like this?

• skyline_pjskyline_pj Posts: 1Registered Users
    I think it is a big picture for The northern hemisphere Total war in the 11th to 16th century.
    PLEASE...
  • treadwintreadwin Posts: 2Registered Users
    Probably the right financial decision for them as the Asian market is huge, but I will probably give it a pass.
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Posts: 505Registered Users
    I too have been waiting years for this! Let's face it, CA will never please everybody. We meaning those of us who have been waiting for a China TW (for years) have had to wait for two Warhammer titles to finish up. We totally deserve this. If it is another fantasy game however I am out.
    Looking forward to Three Kingdoms big time. Warhammer was never my thing.
    Shogun II Avatar Campaign is the most fun I have had with Total War games!
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 473Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    david_amr said:

Disappointing setting.

A region the size of the entire continent of Europe is not "monocultural." The Han Dynasty was a bit bigger than the Roman Empire - it's impossible to simply be a single culture unless CA screws it up by not bothering to do in depth historical research.
    Crotiz said:

CA has said like 50 times already that this game wasn't Medieval 3. They said a few years ago that they were never going to do a #3 game, but back tracked 1-2 years ago and said they might do a #3 but it wasn't going to be any time soon and that this game was a completely new era.

Anybody who has paid any attention to TW news would've known this game wasn't going to be MTW3.
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 473Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    treadwin said:

Probably the right financial decision for them as the Asian market is huge, but I will probably give it a pass.

They were going to make a game in China 20 years ago but chose Shogun instead.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2017/11/total-war-franchise-familiariser.html

Simply making $$$ is not CA's primary concern when they choose eras to make TW games. Otherwise they would have 10 Warhammer games by now and at least 5 games each for RomeTW and MedievalTW.

They wouldn't be making niche TW games like Thrones of Britannica (a very niche era & location), Shogun 1 & 2, Napoleon TW, Attila, etc
  • Hangya90Hangya90 Posts: 28Registered Users
    Ok china is done, they can do a ww1 game now...
  • RaresAntoniuRaresAntoniu Junior Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    Will the Chinese people speak English? It would be „AWESOME”!
    Barba non facit philosophum!
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 542Registered Users

treadwin said:

They were going to make a game in China 20 years ago but chose Shogun instead.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2017/11/total-war-franchise-familiariser.html
    This...is really interesting,imagine how things would have went if they basically made another Dynasty warrior.

Now things have returned to its roots,albeit in a very different form :)
  • JoukeSeinstraJoukeSeinstra Posts: 190Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    Wauw, I called it!

Were going to the origins of where the art of war was born. Damn, I wonder how it will measure up to Shogun 2...
  • Nemi1500Nemi1500 Posts: 16Registered Users
    Soooo disappointed with 3 Kingdoms. After Shogun 2, I was hoping CA would have learnt their lesson about limiting major historical titles to a single region, with carbon copied cultures and units. Apparently not, and now we’ll all be waiting until at least 2020 for a proper historical title.

I honestly didn’t mind when Total War took on the Warhammar universe. It gave the TW team the chance to experiment and try new ideas. They’ve certainly come up with things that need to make their way into the historical series. Nor do I mind them going back and doing Saga games - Thrones is a great idea, a title that fills in a period of history to small for a major release. A team dedicated to producing a smaller title like this every 12-18 months should be encouraged and supported by the community!

But 3 Kingdoms as a major “historical” title is a massive, MASSIVE step backwards for TW as a series. It will fall into the same core issues as Shogun 2, and likely be remembered as a fun title with limited replay-ability. 3 Kingdoms should have been released as a Saga game, not a major “historical” title.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Shogun 2. The game worked really well; the graphics were fantastic; factions were balanced; the AI was a big step up from Empire; it was a great game, with solid expansion material. But after you’d played a faction from the north, one from the south and perhaps a third from somewhere in the middle of the map...well, it got boring. The units were basically all the same and the only real cultural difference was aligning with the christians or traditional Japan. The game got stale and quickly.

3 Kingdoms will be the same. Oh, there will be some cultural differences - China is large after all - but the game will feel the same very quickly. Just like Shogun, because the title is limited to a specific region and era, once you’ve had a few campaigns, tried each of the major factions and one or two of the token minor nations, the excitement will be gone. It will feel like you’re playing the same game, over and over.

I’m sorry that this post has been so negative, but the reality of releasing 3 Kingdoms as a major historical title needs to be discussed. Rather than expanding the series by looking at a larger period in history (ie: Empire 2, The Renaissance, the Age of Exploration, ME3, the Colonial world, WWI) and also providing us with a more complete world map - relevant to one of those periods, CA has decided to go backwards. And as a fan of TW games, both historical and fantasy since the original Shogun, it’s very sad to see.

CA, I know it’s far too late for you to change this title, but on behalf of the thousands of fans you’ve disappointed with this announcement, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us a proper historical game soon. Don’t waste 2 or 3 years making expansions for a game in a period this limited. Get the game out and move on ASAP. Give your historical fan base the game we’ve been waiting for since the end of 2013. Give us a REAL TW title. One with diverse cultures, a huge world map, proper naval combat, an AI that challenges us, complex diplomacy, bigger battles, new technologies and the ability to influence global trade.

Please, give us a game that moves this unique series forwards in a big way, not sideways as 3 Kingdoms will :(
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Posts: 505Registered Users
    Nemi1500 said:

Soooo disappointed with 3 Kingdoms. After Shogun 2, I was hoping CA would have learnt their lesson about limiting major historical titles to a single region, with carbon copied cultures and units. Apparently not, and now we’ll all be waiting until at least 2020 for a proper historical title.

I honestly didn’t mind when Total War took on the Warhammar universe. It gave the TW team the chance to experiment and try new ideas. They’ve certainly come up with things that need to make their way into the historical series. Nor do I mind them going back and doing Saga games - Thrones is a great idea, a title that fills in a period of history to small for a major release. A team dedicated to producing a smaller title like this every 12-18 months should be encouraged and supported by the community!

But 3 Kingdoms as a major “historical” title is a massive, MASSIVE step backwards for TW as a series. It will fall into the same core issues as Shogun 2, and likely be remembered as a fun title with limited replay-ability. 3 Kingdoms should have been released as a Saga game, not a major “historical” title.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Shogun 2. The game worked really well; the graphics were fantastic; factions were balanced; the AI was a big step up from Empire; it was a great game, with solid expansion material. But after you’d played a faction from the north, one from the south and perhaps a third from somewhere in the middle of the map...well, it got boring. The units were basically all the same and the only real cultural difference was aligning with the christians or traditional Japan. The game got stale and quickly.

3 Kingdoms will be the same. Oh, there will be some cultural differences - China is large after all - but the game will feel the same very quickly. Just like Shogun, because the title is limited to a specific region and era, once you’ve had a few campaigns, tried each of the major factions and one or two of the token minor nations, the excitement will be gone. It will feel like you’re playing the same game, over and over.

I’m sorry that this post has been so negative, but the reality of releasing 3 Kingdoms as a major historical title needs to be discussed. Rather than expanding the series by looking at a larger period in history (ie: Empire 2, The Renaissance, the Age of Exploration, ME3, the Colonial world, WWI) and also providing us with a more complete world map - relevant to one of those periods, CA has decided to go backwards. And as a fan of TW games, both historical and fantasy since the original Shogun, it’s very sad to see.

CA, I know it’s far too late for you to change this title, but on behalf of the thousands of fans you’ve disappointed with this announcement, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us a proper historical game soon. Don’t waste 2 or 3 years making expansions for a game in a period this limited. Get the game out and move on ASAP. Give your historical fan base the game we’ve been waiting for since the end of 2013. Give us a REAL TW title. One with diverse cultures, a huge world map, proper naval combat, an AI that challenges us, complex diplomacy, bigger battles, new technologies and the ability to influence global trade.

Please, give us a game that moves this unique series forwards in a big way, not sideways as 3 Kingdoms will :(

Your post on this thread only proves how little you know about the Chinese culture.
    Looking forward to Three Kingdoms big time. Warhammer was never my thing.
    Shogun II Avatar Campaign is the most fun I have had with Total War games!
    Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
    Give us another Avatar Campaign!
    edited February 2018
    JacquestheApostate:

“Your post on this thread only proves how little you know about the Chinese culture.”

Actually it proves I’ve been playing TW games for years, watched them expand and improve with each new major title except Shogun 2 (as much as I enjoyed it), and that I and many others were looking forward to a major historical release, not a Sagas title packaged as a major historical game. Instead we’re getting a game in a limited region that will likely only focus on China during a very specific dynasty/period.
    After such a long wait for a major historical game, I would have hoped for a title that examined a larger area (at least the Asian region, if not the entire World) or a game that looks at a longer period of history.

I’m pleased you’re getting a game that you and others have been asking for for years. I’m pleased CA are finally looking at China and Chinese history. But as a major historical title, this IS a step backwards. That’s what I’m upset about.
    3 Kingdoms would have been a great Sagas game, even if it was based off the Attila framework. But as a major release? Hell no!
    Post edited by Nemi1500 on
    Nemi1500 said:

JacquestheApostate:

“Your post on this thread only proves how little you know about the Chinese culture.”

Actually it proves I’ve been playing TW games for years, watched them expand and improve with each new major title except Shogun 2 (as much as I enjoyed it), and that I and many others were looking forward to a major historical release, not a Sagas title packaged as a major historical game. Instead we’re getting a game in a limited region that will likely only focus on China during a very specific dynasty/period.
    After such a long wait for a major historical game, I would have hoped for a title that examined a larger area (at least the Asian region, if not the entire World) or a game that looks at a longer period of history.

I’m pleased you’re getting a game that you and others have been asking for for years. I’m pleased CA are finally looking at China and Chinese history. But as a major historical title, this IS a step backwards. That’s what I’m upset about.
    3 Kingdoms would have been a great Sagas game, even if it was based off the Attila framework. But as a major release? Hell no!

It's no more of a saga than Rome 2 and is far less of a saga than that of Attila.

China is no more a limited region than Europe.

Expecting a TW to cover the world doesn't seem likely. On Empire got close and that burned CA and with performance issues and complaints over lack of depth having larger areas in a single game release shows you haven't followed the community. Would require a WH style expansion to get close with the depth and cost of such a map.

Also Shogun 2 has been better received than the recent historical TWs.
    edited February 2018
    “It's no more of a saga than Rome 2 and is far less of a saga than that of Attila.

China is no more a limited region than Europe.

Expecting a TW to cover the world doesn't seem likely. On Empire got close and that burned CA and with performance issues and complaints over lack of depth having larger areas in a single game release shows you haven't followed the community. Would require a WH style expansion to get close with the depth and cost of such a map.

Also Shogun 2 has been better received than the recent historical TWs.”

Correct Comissar, I haven’t been following the community closely the last year or so. But that doesn’t disqualify me or thousands of other fans of TW from expressing our frustration about a 3K “major historical” game. And I’m afraid I have to disagree with you on a few of your other points.

Firstly, the Rome 2 game can’t be a Saga title because it focuses on an extended period of history (3-400 years) AND on a large section of the Classically known world at that time (ie: Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. For all the flaws of Rome 2 upon release, the cultural diversity was distinct, interesting, and encouraged campaign replay-ability.
    As CA have mentioned on a few occasions, Saga games focus on specific moments - flash points if you will - in history. When a specific area of the world was in conflict, or when a hero/leader rose to prominence.
    Yes, within Rome 2 the Ceasre in Gaul expansion, the Augustus Campaign (sorry, forgotten it’s actually name) ect, and certainly Attila could all be considered Saga games because THEY look at specific people/periods over a limited timeframe and geographical setting. Please also note that these games came out before CA set up their Saga development team, and therefore a game like Attila would only qualify as a Saga title if released today.

Now I’m curious, how does the 3 Kingdoms period, approximately 100 years long and located basically within China NOT qualify as a Saga game? How the hell does such a limited period and region merit a full historical title release when such a large portion of the fan base have been begging for a larger game in the ME3/E2/Victorian/Pike and Shot periods for the last 5 years? A game that would examine a range of cultures and regions over a longer period and enable Saga spin offs like a 3K title!

Secondly, Empire didn’t burn CA. It is one of its most popular titles to date, with sales skyrocketing over the last few years. In fact, I’m pretty certain it was the highest selling TW game as of 12 months ago. Yes, you’re right, it has MAJOR issues. The AI was/is a disgrace; there are some serious historical inaccuracies; the European factions are all very similar; and let’s not get started on the engine - particularly hand to hand combat!
    And for all of those issues, it is by far the most innovative, interesting and IMO enjoyable title CA have released to date with the exception of Rome 1.
    Why? Because it makes the sandbox experience global. It expanded the series in so many ways. While it mightn’t go for a long period in time, it included different cultures, it had significant technology expansions, naval combat was introduced, it made you feel like you were playing through a major period in history! It moved TW forwards!

Thirdly, I don’t think a world map would require the type of trilogy of maps that we’re receiving in WH. The Regions method used in Empire would work just as well if they were expanded to include Asia and S.America. Removing the Trading Regions could accomplish this easily. Plenty of ways around the issue.

As I said in my previous post, I’m pleased to see CA look at other areas of the world outside of Europe and China seems like a great place to start. But not as a major historical game. As a Saga game though, Hell Yes!