Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: Three Kingdoms - FAQ

CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team Posts: 673

We’re thrilled to be able to reveal Total War: THREE KINGDOMS to the world and we hope you’re all excited by the game as we are. In Autumn 2018, players will be able to conquer feudal China for the first time ever in a Total War game.

We’re setting out to make the most memorable and incredible Total War game yet and we can’t wait to show you more. And don’t worry, as with previous Total War games, we’ll be giving the press, youtubers, and community members access to the game before release so they can share their impressions too. We’ll also let you know the game shows we’re attending in the lead up to release and we’ll make sure reviews hit before launch.

Read the full FAQ here -> https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-faq

Comments

• LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 407
    Little info :((
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 1,425
    The key part of this FAQ is "we will be releasing A Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA in Spring 2018".
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • RandomTagRandomTag Registered Users Posts: 1,473
    A faq that provides literally no information...lol
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonRegistered Users Posts: 2,960
    That's probably the most pointless thing ever written... so at least it has that going for it!
  • PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 765
    Am I a community member so? How I get abticipated access?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 33,229

I suspect by attending one of the game shows mentioned.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,255
    I thought there are information like...

New game-engine; how many factions; glimpse of campaign map; glimpse of real time battle map; 64-bit engine, etc..

But no information at all...

Anyways, I'm excited!

Why ur posts are orange?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 33,229

Why ur posts are orange?
    It's because I'm a moderator. I didn't choose the colour, by the way.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 187
    Well, since this FAQ is so useless, why not write our own useless FAQs:

1. Q: Will there be a historical abomination called "Heroic units"?
    A: There's lots more coming.
    2. Q: Will this new "historical title" be a Hollywood production bordering on fantasy?
    A: We will reveal more closer to release.
    3. Q: Will the "mass" battles again be a dance and slide fest with a good portion of Shaolin flying added in?
    A: We will talk more closer to release.
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 845
    What time span does this cover?

Will any surrounding countries be included in the map?

If it is just China, why is it being called an Era instead of a Saga like Thrones of Britannia that just covers the British Isles?

Also, what does 190 CE translate to on the Julian calendar?

Is it featuring a new engine?

There's my current frequently asked questions. I'll have more questions based on the answers.
  • NeoYasNeoYas Registered Users Posts: 333
    "I inform you that we have no info" :) But I appreciate the good intetion :)

• MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 1,425
    Vessinger said:

If it is just China, why is it being called an Era instead of a Saga like Thrones of Britannia that just covers the British Isles?

There's my current frequently asked questions. I'll have more questions based on the answers.

190 CE = AD 190. CE is Common Era, a way of making people feel better about themselves. I believe historically the period ends in AD 280.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,024
    Vessinger said:

Britain is tiny, China is huge. So fits being an era rather than a saga.

190. Confused me at first now we have so many initials after years that seem to mean the same thing. So 190CE = 190AD.
    http://calendars.wikia.com/wiki/Common_Era
  • NerdfishNerdfish Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 243
    A longer one will be appreciated.
  • MarcerorMarceror Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 477

Why ur posts are orange?
    This happens from watching too much Trump coverage, alas.

Cool that we have the next TW game announced, but I agree that a lot more information needs to be shared before I can gauge how excited this title will make me. When I saw the video I initially thought I was looking at a bolt on to Shogun 2 Total War. Other than this being China, I'm not sure what will make this title stand on its own. It might as well be a DLC campaign for all I can tell.
    This is not a troll post. Sometimes I make humorous posts. These forums desperately need a bit of humor to contrast all of the angst. Moderators, please do not ban me for making an innocent, humorous post every now and again.
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 138
    The FAQ did gave out some information.

1. "it will have a jaw-dropping, epic Campaign Map to fit. We’ll be giving you an incredibly detailed sandbox of Three Kingdoms-period China to explore and conquer" - I assume we be getting a new engine or at least better graphics and better art work ?

2. Then, there's another part of the FAQ (No.3) where this is not the next total war game. Does it mean another historical title is in the works for 2019 ?

My questions, in no particular order:

1) Will there be giant lizard people?
    2) How tall will the trolls be?
    3) How will magic casting be handled?
    4) Can we ride the dinosaurs?
    5) How will aircraft carriers be seamlessly integrated into the game?
    6) During what turn will the Galactic Empire invasion occur?
    7) Will there be a LARP option included with the game?
    8) Will the good guy get the girl?

Answer those, and I will know everything I will *ever* need to know!

This is not a troll post. Sometimes I make humorous posts. These forums desperately need a bit of humor to contrast all of the angst. Moderators, please do not ban me for making an innocent, humorous post every now and again.
    united84 said:

The FAQ did gave out some information.

2. Then, there's another part of the FAQ (No.3) where this is not the next total war game. Does it mean another historical title is in the works for 2019 ?

No, it means the Britannia release will be the next game.
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 78
    edited January 11
    Fredrin said:

That's probably the most pointless thing ever written... so at least it has that going for it!

Agree. That was not an FAQ. It was a waste of time (at least for me).
    I hope there will be single hero units able to fight against a whole lot of enemies !
  • A_MushroomA_Mushroom Registered Users Posts: 200
    There was a miscommunication with some news outlets about when to release the Three Kingdoms announcement, this forced CA to move up their own schedule hence there isn't much information in the FAQ yet :P My boy Invicta mentions this in his video!
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Registered Users Posts: 503
    Brilliant choice of setting imho.

Questions:

* Will the game (noting some of the weapons in the trailer) stay closer to history of lore?
    * Will the game feature Chinese (period Han "common language") with local language (eg English) subtitles?
    * Will the game feature event / story cutscenes (eg diplomacy) with player driven narrative options (eg Witcher III) ?

my2bob
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 845
    edited January 12
    Mattzo said:

Vessinger said:

190 CE = AD 190. CE is Common Era, a way of making people feel better about themselves. I believe historically the period ends in AD 280.
    Ah OK, thanks for the info.

So, from what little we know so far, (admittedly this is a bit speculative), we've got a 90-year span focusing on a single country. How's this not a Saga title again? I gotta say, at first blush, I'm feeling somewhat underwhelmed by the scope of this game.

Maybe after they reveal more it'll make more sense why it took them 6 years to put out something that sounds like it is basically the same scope as Thrones of Brittania. Actually more limited because so far it sounds like there's only going to be 4 factions, and ToB has 7 at least from what I gather.

I keep telling myself not to judge so quickly before I know more.

Post edited by Vessinger on
  • SpelonkenSpelonken Registered Users Posts: 1
    Vessinger said:

Mattzo said:

Vessinger said:

Ah OK, thanks for the info.

So, from what little we know so far, (admittedly this is a bit speculative), we've got a 90-year span focusing on a single country. How's this not a Saga title again? I gotta say, at first blush, I'm feeling somewhat underwhelmed by the scope of this game.

Maybe after they reveal more it'll make more sense why it took them 6 years to put out something that sounds like it is basically the same scope as Thrones of Brittania. Actually more limited because so far it sounds like there's only going to be 4 factions, and ToB has 7 at least from what I gather.

I keep telling myself not to judge so quickly before I know more.

There will be many more factions, the three kingdoms which are referred to in the name of the period only started to take shape around 214. Before this China was divided among many de facto independent warlords.
    What would the time span matter? You are creating your own history. Even besides that, this is a very eventful period in history.
  • ArindonArindon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 200
    Although it's most likely too late, I could like to caution the CA not to take too much of the Warhammer into a historical title. Although the Warhammer seems to have become widely popular, and I must say I do enjoy it immensely, there is a lot one can get away with in a fantasy world that just doesn't cut it in the real world.
    If the ridiculously fighting "heroes" in the trailer somehow represents the game, I feel the urge to remind the CA of a certain fact from real sword fighting: within ten seconds, one or both, of the combatants will have lost their head. It's incredibly juvenile and will undermine any sense of reality if certain aspects of reality weren't included back.
    Another example from Warhammer that doesn't cut it in the real world, which was an integral part of older games, was the fact that when a unit was shot, he actually died. It never happened that a single unit had about fifty arrows and javelins sticking out of his body and didn't die, because of the group's combined HP was too high.

I am super excited that the series finally visit China. I really do hope they get it right. It would be my dream if graphics somehow represented the original Shogun 2 grand campaign map, and battle maps, because they were incredibly beautiful. I am hyped that we will visit something from the real that is not Europe again, and see very different architecture than we have seen in a long time.
  • eXteNioneXteNion Registered Users Posts: 19
    edited January 12
    This is just Qs. The FAs are missing. Correct the title. xD

@Arindon In Rome 2 units chill with a dozen of javelins on their shields. Does that count? That does not seem realistic at all.
  • AstraeusAstraeus Member BrittonisRegistered Users Posts: 315
    I have retracted my 'like' due to sparsity of the FAQs.
    Marceror said:

My questions, in no particular order:

1) Will there be giant lizard people?
    2) How tall will the trolls be?
    3) How will magic casting be handled?
    4) Can we ride the dinosaurs?
    5) How will aircraft carriers be seamlessly integrated into the game?
    6) During what turn will the Galactic Empire invasion occur?
    7) Will there be a LARP option included with the game?
    8) Will the good guy get the girl?

Answer those, and I will know everything I will *ever* need to know!

It appears they 'aven't gotten aroond to adding me questions to the FAQ yet. Guess I'll check back on Moonday (Moonday is meant to sound like an English geordie accent. Why? I don't know. Why not!).

Choop, choop CA!
  • BeibarsBeibars Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 182
    Hello,
    There are some questions I’d like to ask:
    1. Why did you stop your choice at Three Kingdoms?
    2. How many factions are there?
    3. How many units in one army? 20.30 or more
    4. A number of turns per year?
    5. An average number of people in one unit?
    6. How big is a size of a map?
    7. Are you going to implement unit packs (limited to recruit)?
    8. Will be there a family tree?
    9. What happens if a main hero or lord of main factions fall in the battle? Or must be killed several times like Attila?
    10. Can you say a few words about a role of the heroes in the battle and campaign map?
    11. When can we see the first gameplay?
    Thank you!