Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

The Gobbo's King Guide to Multiplayer

The_Gobbo_KingThe_Gobbo_King Posts: 4Registered Users
Here is a link to the Google Doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YFflTHEs5OoNX0N3NAr7hj7Szck2Xt5EbyXJasE6ayg/edit?usp=sharing

As of this post the guide is currently 109 pages. I plan on adding more to it but a lot of top level players have given their thoughts on guide.

The Guide is still in the works and I plan on adding builds for every faction but if I don't post it now then this guide will never get posted.

This Guide covers everymatch in Multiplayer and provides ideas and tips for general tactics for Total War Warhammer. This guide covers every aspect of matchups and will be updated Regularly as new contect is provided. This is a living document and will be updated everyweek as I get chance too. I hope this helps you get started in Total War Warhammer multiplayer.

Feel free to add your own thoughts and comments. This guide is massive and I plan on keeping it updated for as long as I have time to commit to this project. I plan on adding more builds whenever I have free time. There are a lot of good communities out there for multiplayer and if you enjoy multiplayer then I recommned joining one of those communities.

Comments

• Green0Green0 Posts: 34Registered Users
    great guide, thanks for sharing! I’m in the process of reading it and although I’m not the newest player, I am learning new stuff.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 1,204Registered Users
    Cool idea gobbo King I like that you can keep adapting it!
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Posts: 181Registered Users
    Excellent! Looked through the HE matchups from both ways and I find the text very accurate. Thumbs up!

Would you like feedback? If so, PM, discord, this forum?

Cheers!
  • TlaxtlanSoothsayerTlaxtlanSoothsayer Posts: 710Registered Users
    The guide is a good idea and helps inexperienced players or newcomers to understand the multiplayer of this game.

Keep up the great work :)

"In the beginning the Universe Internet was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
  • o0JdogJ0oo0JdogJ0o Junior Member Posts: 21Registered Users
    Yay the Offical Release :smile:
  • KranoxKranox Posts: 1,372Registered Users
    Nice job man !

Cant wait to get into it
  • The_Gobbo_KingThe_Gobbo_King Posts: 4Registered Users
    Feed back is easiest for me on discord but you can always message me.
  • SarmatiansSarmatians Posts: 789Registered Users
    Wood Elves part is a disaster! Builds are total non sense especially.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 1,870Registered Users

Hacked?

While i disagree with the builds and the vast obsession for war-dancers which i don't rate at all in any match-up, i do feel its well written and allows room for people to use it as a guide when coming up with their own builds.
    >:) Lotus_Moon Twitch Stream (Streaming times TBA soon)
    You can thank Sarmatians for most of the Wood Elf Stuff. I just didn't have the time to go look over all of the WE stuff, but you can blame me if you want.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 1,870Registered Users

You can thank Sarmatians for most of the Wood Elf Stuff. I just didn't have the time to go look over all of the WE stuff, but you can blame me if you want.

Sorry i didn't mean to be negative in any way, i think this guide and the effort is totally amazing, and thanks heaps for writing it up.
    >:) Lotus_Moon Twitch Stream (Streaming times TBA soon)
    No worries man. I was messing with Sarmatian.

Hacked?
    Nah, I was kidding.

On a serious note, a lot of good Wood Elves players take different approaches. Some rarely use Waywatchers, some rarely use Deepwood Scouts. Some think that Speardancers are borderline OP, others almost never take them.

I did try to present builds that are more forgiving, and I'm a bit unhappy with the Chaos one, as it is risky. Not just a risk from losing Waywatchers early, but also from simply running out of arrows if Chaos goes really wide. A Wildwood Ranger heavy build would probably be a safer choice for beginners. The second reason will probably be mitigated somewhat by the soon-to-happen increase in ammo, but the first one will always be a threat.
  • PocmanPocman Posts: 452Registered Users
    I think the WE part is pretty well written and it gave me some ideas.

However, regarding the WE vs Dwarf match up, i do feel it lacks a mention to the dwarfs magic resistance.
    Is this true?
    How armor works: Armor protects the unit by reducing non armour piercing damage. The higher the armor value the better it protects. Whenever a unit is attacked, non armour piercing damage it receives can be mitigated by a percentile value which is a random number between armour value and half of its value.
    For example, a unit which has a 60 armor value will ignore between 30% and 60% of all incoming non armor piercing damage. Note that 90% is the maximum amount of non armor piercing damage an armor can stop. So, a 100 armor value will stop between 50% and 90% of non-armor piercing damage and a 150 armor value will stop between 75% and 90% of non armor piercing damage.
    Armour piercing damage is always applied in full, regardless of armour value.
    I thought it was a random number between 50% and 100% of the damage done.

And, a quick question. How does armor work for values over the maximum reduction? For example, if you have 150 armor, does it randomize between 75 and 150, and reduces it to the maximum amount (90/100) or it simply rolls between 75 and 90/100?

If it's the first, values of armor over the maximum are hit by much harder diminishing returns.

edited January 14
    No, 90% is the max.

A 30 armour will stop between 15% and 30%.
    A 90 armour will stop between 45% and 90%.
    A 100 armour will stop between 50% and 90%.
    A 180 armour will stop exactly 90% all the time.

It's a roll always. In theory you could be so unlucky to get always minimum possible values but because it does that every time a model is attacked, in practice it evens out because of so many rolls.

So a 60 armour (minimum 30% and max 60%) will ignore roughly 45% of all regular damage over the course of a battle.

As far as how rolls work, In your example of 150 armour, I believe it rolls between between 75 and 150, and drops all values over 90 to 90, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • ystyst Posts: 769Registered Users
    edited January 14
    Hard to tell, i always believe its up to 100%.

No unit in game has 0 ap. Nothing in game do 0 ap. Hence u will always die even at 200 armor.

Is 90% true or what

Cannot be, that will make flags dryads actually strong. Coz u take 10% from their wep dmg and add to their ap, thats like 10 min dmg. No frikking way they hit that hard.
    https://imgur.com/a/ow6c2

Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    edited January 14
    yst said:

No unit in game has 0 ap. Nothing in game do 0 ap. Hence u will always die even at 200 armor.

Is 90% true or what

Cannot be, that will make flags dryads actually strong. Coz u take 10% from their wep dmg and add to their ap, thats like 10 min dmg. No frikking way they hit that hard.

You could be right, actually. I've found a source that say max 99%, not 90%. Some damage always gets through though, that is certain. Even 200 armour attacked by 0 AP will take like a point of damage.

Some other sources say 95% is maximum.
    edited January 15

yst said:

Is 90% true or what

You could be right, actually. I've found a source that say max 99%, not 90%. Some damage always gets through though, that is certain. Even 200 armour attacked by 0 AP will take like a point of damage.

Some other sources say 95% is maximum.
    I can pretty much guarantee 100% from experience.

Tbh i dont think its 95 or 99% either, that just makes no sense with those weird numbers.

What we might be seeing is oversight with exhaustion, from what i know exhaustion reduce armor also. So that might explain why ppl r taking armor dmg where they shouldnt be.

I dont think ca has a system to bypass armor. Thats why armour piercing is introduced, no unit has 0 ap dmg.

A lot of stealth changes on war2. So lazy to test everything. Pilgrims, flags and dryads still suck so cannot be 90%
    Post edited by yst on

According to this, it's 100% reduction, although someone does mention that at 200 armor you still always take 1 damage per hit, so it may be that 99% is more accurate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/78ozz5/total_war_warhammer_armour_vs_damage_reduction/
  • PippingtonPippington Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    It's 100% reduction, to a minimum of 1 point. Resistances (e.g. phys resist, missile resist) are the ones that cap at 90%.

Get on, Kroq-Gar, we're going shopping

edited January 15
    Wat.... i put guarantee 100% then scroll back only to see 90% -_-

Didnt see that 1 point coming. Basically gob archers to min 2 dmg per shot then since they got just 1 ap. That is quite a big revelation lol

edited January 15
    Actually I think minimum is 1 point. So having 1 point of AP is the same as having 0 points of AP. You get 1. It is a moot point, since no unit in the game has 0 AP.

I tested with a steam tank that had flesh to stone cast on it, so 220 effective armor. It was shot at by Bretonnia's fire bowment (1 AP). All arrows did exactly 1 damage.

After the spell wore off, Bowmen did between 1-3 damage, but in vast majority of cases it was 1, confirming indeed that rolls were made on the entire range (80-160), and all rolls above 100 count as 100.

Actually I think minimum is 1 point. So having 1 point of AP is the same as having 0 points of AP. You get 1. It is a moot point, since no unit in the game has 0 AP.

I tested with a steam tank that had flesh to stone cast on it, so 220 effective armor. It was shot at by Bretonnia's fire bowment (1 AP). All arrows did exactly 1 damage.

After the spell wore off, Bowmen did between 1-3 damage, but in vast majority of cases it was 1, confirming indeed that rolls were made on the entire range (80-160), and all rolls above 100 count as 100.

That actually makes the diminishing returns for having more than 100 armor not as bad as i thought, as having more than 100 armor not only affects the minimum amount reduced with a bad roll, but also the number of times you will roll 100.

Thx for the test.

• KhorneFlakesKhorneFlakes Posts: 2,840Registered Users
    Minimum hit chance is 8%,and All resists are capped to 90% and armor can dodge all regular damage if it goes upt0 200 armor,
    but units have some ap damage so armor above 150 is redundant

Balance Is A Lie

Minimum hit chance is 8%,and All resists are capped to 90% and armor can dodge all regular damage if it goes upt0 200 armor,

Armor is ALWAYS useful, ive test so myself and many other here.

The more the better. U want it as high as possible. 150 is just 150, many norm dmg still get pass. Even 200 u still get dmg from exhaustion.

edited January 16

Where u get that 8%, ive heard so many damn versions. Some say 10% some even have 15%.

Whats the frikking real value any1 knows?

Whats base again? 30-35%?

Base is 35% in game 2 (was 40% in game 1).

I've heard 10% is the minimum
    If i remember correctly, base is 35%, minimum is 8%.

Thanks at least 35 seems confirmed.

25 more def than att should be good to cap max def it seems

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file