Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A Summary of What We Know So Far

Stainless001Stainless001 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hey folks,

So in my excitement for the announcement I wanted to put together a video explaining everything we know, however little, about Three Kingdoms so far.

I'm intending to actually create a series of videos diving into the history of the time and explore the campaign map once we know more.

Would love to know your thoughts!

Comments

• ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,100
    I'm quite excited by the China setting. Having read up on China's Warring Period in anticipation of a TW China game I am slightly disappointed this is not the setting (many reasons for that, primarily a perfect setting for a TW game IMO). However perhaps the Warring Period will be a DLC for this game.

Regardless, I cannot wait to play this game; I know I will enjoy it.

One concern, I do not want any characters having Warhammer-like Legendary Lord "powers." I don't want to see one character take on a hundred men all at once and do anything but be instantly killed (or wounded, see the next sentence). I can accept leaders that are only wounded who never die in battle, but other than that I prefer realism over "magical abilities."
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • kpsia518kpsia518 Registered Users Posts: 73
    ranknfile said:

One concern, I do not want any characters having Warhammer-like Legendary Lord "powers." I don't want to see one character take on a hundred men all at once and do anything but be instantly killed (or wounded, see the next sentence). I can accept leaders that are only wounded who never die in battle, but other than that I prefer realism over "magical abilities."

my opinion for this one,general like Guanyu & zhanfei should be no fear to fight.But not magic like.
    should be some kind like fear factor.Fear factor for particular high raking general,just some particular general not all.Enemy fear him when they saw him.

imaging you have Guanyu & zhanfei ,but they fear to fight in 1001 vs 1001 battle ?
    this is terrible.

zhuge liang,may have some weather forecast skill,& some tactic skill,just not magic.

• LORDBENLORDBEN Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited January 30
    Hey Guys,

Maybe you might wanna watch these movies (Red Cliff Part 1 & 2), with English Subtitles, most of the characters found in recent Launch Teaser are featured:

Red Cliff Part 1:

Red Cliff Part 2:

Those who love this game, I believe you'll love this moive.
    Post edited by LORDBEN on
  • dcroscodcrosco Registered Users Posts: 1
    I cannot wait until fall the trailer looks great. excited am I
  • JsssssssJsssssss Registered Users Posts: 1
    At the Vidio so far, I must say that one guy who fight for other two he is actually a horse main.... he’s most good thing
    Is at control horse and archer... at least he is most famous leagenirly general in that period, please don’t mistake at that...it makes him soo weird
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 446
    edited February 2
    LORDBEN said:

Hey Guys,

Maybe you might wanna watch these movies (Red Cliff Part 1 & 2), with English Subtitles, most of the characters found in recent Launch Teaser are featured:

Those who love this game, I believe you'll love this moive.

Oh god. Please don't watch that nonsense if you care about actual historical accuracy. Red Cliff (directed by John Woo, usually known for gun-fu gangster movies) is incredibly inaccurate in its portrayal of the era's warfare style, weapons, armor, etc and follows the Dynasty Warriors stereotypes.

The majority of the battle formations in the movie are utter nonsense or depicted incorrectly.
  • Jin90Jin90 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Luckily historical accuracy has nothing to do with TW games after turn one, so let them enjoy the movie without being shamed by some armchair historian/pseudointellectual bothering them. :/
  • BreadboxBreadbox Registered Users Posts: 310
    edited March 26
    As far as depicting war is concerned,red cliff is best you have.
    Not because its super good,but only really because its a movie with the budget to hire enough extras and use han dynasty armour props.
    Armours and weapons for the basic soldiery is alright.

Most Tv shows and movies usually rely on endless cuts on a very small group of soldier in extremely loose formation,coupled with whichever armour props that’s easiest to acquire(usually Tang,Song or Ming).
    Resulting in feeble battle scenes that lacks any sense of weight or carnage.

So yeah,red cliff’s alright,just don’t take it too seriously,espacially the obligatory General killing dozens of minions popularised by DW.
    Also,release some infos already goddamnit
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 446
    edited March 29
    Breadbox said:

As far as depicting war is concerned,red cliff is best you have.
    Not because its super good,but only really because its a movie with the budget to hire enough extras and use han dynasty armour props.
    Armours and weapons for the basic soldiery is alright.
    Most Tv shows and movies usually rely on endless cuts on a very small group of soldier in extremely loose formation,coupled with whichever armour props that’s easiest to acquire(usually Tang,Song or Ming).
    Resulting in feeble battle scenes that lacks any sense of weight or carnage.
    So yeah,red cliff’s alright,just don’t take it too seriously,espacially the obligatory General killing dozens of minions popularised by DW.
    Also,release some infos already goddamnit

IMO, Red Cliff is a terrible depiction of warfare of that era.

You don't see a single regular crossbow. You don't see a single pike (~20 foot long pikes). Those two weapons plus Ji-halberds should have been at least half the army's arsenal.
    They don't use dagger axes properly, and they don't really show dagger-axe Jis very much. They don't even use spears properly (some of the soldiers are depicted as swinging at the generals with the blunt shafts or blunt part of the spear head!).

Most of the soldiers are depicted as using a short 1 handed spear with both hands and not bothering to carry shields. Or they just carry a sword in one hand and don't bother with anything else in the other.

And not 100% sure, but it seems unusual to combine raw hide/leather helmets used for lighter troops with iron lamellar typically used for heavier troops. Not to mention lamellar helmets worn by the generals were being replaced by longer lamellar plates and more solid helmets.

The formations are also a joke - a rotating turtle tank formation created with small shields, or that extremely thin and hollow infantry circle that only has a single rank of soldiers.

And they have the obligatory charge out of formation to get slaughtered one by one by the main actors scenes.