Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Old World LL's not updated because risk of losing save games??! CA what??!

Comments

• SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,616Registered Users
    krunsh said:

sagranda2 said:

btw
    CA includes every patch that came before the current version as a beta option

https://imgur.com/SvZuhRV

so just use that big part in the launcher for an announcement to "roll back" your version if you want to keep playing your campaign.

https://imgur.com/je9sN36

It may not be an ideal solution, but it's way better than not getting improvements because of save files imho (and yes, I had campaigns broken before)

Again, only useful for people who go to the forum, are tech-savvy, or otherwise in-the-know. It does not in any way protect your every day gamer who comes back from work on a busy schedule to put an hour or two in their Warhammer campaign which has been ongoing for a while.
    no, it's not only useful for people who go to the forum, are tech-savy, or otherwise in-the-know if you use the launcher for an announcement to roll back your update and explains how you do it (which I thought was self-explanatory that this would be included)
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • GauntXIIIGauntXIII Member Posts: 276Registered Users

GauntXIII said:

TeNoSkill said:

Qmotion said:

''As much as we wanted to change a lot of the skill trees to make them unique, we had to be careful here, as moving or changing existing skills will break people’s save-games and make spent skillpoints disappear.''

Oke, this must be a joke right? So we are not getting better LL's updates because it could ''brake'' your save games?
    I would happily take over new skills and traits any day over a broken save game. Hell most of the campaigns i run don't end up anyway. And i am sure many of the people here think the same. This is crazy. Please don't be afraid to break some save games to give us more quality updates to the Old World LL's.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!??????

**** my safe game, I´d gladly have an better Vanilla game.
    You? Yes... me? Yes... the idiots that would immediately bomb the reviews on Steam, like it happened with Rome II/Empire Divided when the Patch/DLC broke reskin mods (leading to invisible soldiers with floating equipment) and they didn't bother to check that stuff up (iirc CA even said that it would be better to disable and/or uninstall all mods)... No...
    Of course it should be made very clear in patch notes that it can break new saves, and that it is entirely possible to revert to previous version to complete saves, with instruction how to do so.
    Like most people even read the patch notes. You are one of those who fallaciously assumes that this forum represents the entirety of the playerbase.
    Except they have a big game launcher with an ANNOUNCEMENT section where they can conveniently place a BIG SIGN with a link to the instructions.
  • Total War ftwTotal War ftw Member Posts: 1,237Registered Users
    Honestly I would be a bit upset as there are some games that I would like to finish but TBH, I'd probably just start entirely new games because added LL updates, more factions and mechanics will make for a whole new experience even with a faction you've already conquered with. They should just do it and let people know that their saved games will be lost.. Let us know well in advance so as to gIve people ample time to wrap up any saved games before they launch it and the save files are useless...
  • englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,969Registered Users
    Lol that's lame excuse I just remove old save no matter how far into campaign and start new one after every patch.

It never bothered me to update mods or disable them, saves pfffftt.. come on CA pls. They've done amazing job with this patch, and every time they should update one Old World Race with each one, this time Bretonnia got massive overhaul, next time do this for Empire.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Posts: 1,596Registered Users

TeNoSkill said:

Qmotion said:

''As much as we wanted to change a lot of the skill trees to make them unique, we had to be careful here, as moving or changing existing skills will break people’s save-games and make spent skillpoints disappear.''

Oke, this must be a joke right? So we are not getting better LL's updates because it could ''brake'' your save games?
    I would happily take over new skills and traits any day over a broken save game. Hell most of the campaigns i run don't end up anyway. And i am sure many of the people here think the same. This is crazy. Please don't be afraid to break some save games to give us more quality updates to the Old World LL's.

You? Yes... me? Yes... the idiots that would immediately bomb the reviews on Steam, like it happened with Rome II/Empire Divided when the Patch/DLC broke reskin mods (leading to invisible soldiers with floating equipment) and they didn't bother to check that stuff up (iirc CA even said that it would be better to disable and/or uninstall all mods)... No...
    This post is fully correct.

You guys think we, the hardcore fan's on this forum (far from the majority of players) are the targets of updates?

Not a chance. While 'we' would gladdly take broken saves and start over, orders of magnitude more players would crying and flood the Steam page with negative reviews.

I mean look at some of the posters on this forum, fully openly toxic and negative about just about everything and these are people who claim to like the games.

Would be nice if it can be solved in a mega patch that is not 'backwards compatible' but thems the breaks.

More to do in Game 3, I guess.
  • QmotionQmotion Junior Member Posts: 238Registered Users
    Surge_2 said:

TeNoSkill said:

Qmotion said:

You guys think we, the hardcore fan's on this forum (far from the majority of players) are the targets of updates?

Not a chance. While 'we' would gladdly take broken saves and start over, orders of magnitude more players would crying and flood the Steam page with negative reviews.

I mean look at some of the posters on this forum, fully openly toxic and negative about just about everything and these are people who claim to like the games.

Would be nice if it can be solved in a mega patch that is not 'backwards compatible' but thems the breaks.

When even reddit is going rampage about it then you know for sure that something is wrong. Reddit is usually the place where people look positive on whatever CA does. But they clearly dislike this whole ''save-game'' excuse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/7rbk6p/dear_ca_dont_let_breaking_saves_stop_you_from/?sort=top

The updates bring out long-term improvements and quality to the game. Regardless of casuals losing their save games. In the end they will enjoy the product way more. Rome 2 is another thing. That game is 4 years old and received a dlc. Many of the mods will break and probably won't update because the modders simply left maintaining it. The mods in warhammer get updates pretty fast. The same day usually. If not, the next day. It's not an issue really.
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Posts: 3,676Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    sagranda2 said:

krunsh said:

sagranda2 said:

btw

so just use that big part in the launcher for an announcement to "roll back" your version if you want to keep playing your campaign.

It may not be an ideal solution, but it's way better than not getting improvements because of save files imho (and yes, I had campaigns broken before)

Again, only useful for people who go to the forum, are tech-savvy, or otherwise in-the-know. It does not in any way protect your every day gamer who comes back from work on a busy schedule to put an hour or two in their Warhammer campaign which has been ongoing for a while.
    no, it's not only useful for people who go to the forum, are tech-savy, or otherwise in-the-know if you use the launcher for an announcement to roll back your update and explains how you do it (which I thought was self-explanatory that this would be included)
    Do you read the launcher? I sure don't. I wonder how many emails tech support would get, and how many negative reviews and forum posts wold pop up.

Probably: a lot.

Again I'm fine with the idea. But it's not a "bad" or "easy" excuse. It's a legitimate concern for CA to have over this.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,616Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    krunsh said:

sagranda2 said:

krunsh said:

sagranda2 said:

btw

Do you read the launcher? I sure don't. I wonder how many emails tech support would get, and how many negative reviews and forum posts wold pop up.

Probably: a lot.

Again I'm fine with the idea. But it's not a "bad" or "easy" excuse. It's a legitimate concern for CA to have over this.
    I don't because I am on the forums/reddit a lot.
    But since it is the biggest part of the launcher I still have it in my field of view and I would expect people (myself included even though I am reading through twitter, the forums, reddit, etc) to become vary when there's suddenly a huge "warning sign" on there.
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • Total War ftwTotal War ftw Member Posts: 1,237Registered Users
    Surge_2 said:

TeNoSkill said:

Qmotion said:

Ya I don't get all the hostility on here. I get that people are lore whores and really want it to be accurate but if you say anything that fanboy trolls disagree with you'll get roasted str8 away..
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,187Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    GauntXIII said:

TeNoSkill said:

Qmotion said:

Of course it should be made very clear in patch notes that it can break new saves, and that it is entirely possible to revert to previous version to complete saves, with instruction how to do so.
    these types of people don't read the patch notes and instead charge to write their "feedback" immediately

Just for the protocole: I'd be totally fine with screwed up savegames! I start a new game after most patches anyway!
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Posts: 744Registered Users
    krunsh said:

sagranda2 said:

btw

So everyone should be punished because some people are ignorant? You don't have to be even remotely tech savy to opt into a beta on steam.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • NemoxNemox Posts: 2,698Registered Users
    edited January 2018

krunsh said:

sagranda2 said:

btw

So everyone should be punished because some people are ignorant? You don't have to be even remotely tech savy to opt into a beta on steam.
    You read some steam reviews? It's like Youtube and Facebook comments had a love child.

I don't blame CA for not wanting to tick off that hive of scum and villainy :P.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users

GauntXIII said:

TeNoSkill said:

Qmotion said:

these types of people don't read the patch notes and instead charge to write their "feedback" immediately

Just for the protocole: I'd be totally fine with screwed up savegames! I start a new game after most patches anyway!
    But would such casual gamers would even notice some skillpoints that disappear?
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,187Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

GauntXIII said:

TeNoSkill said:

Qmotion said:

But would such casual gamers would even notice some skillpoints that disappear?
    With that stuff, they quickly are quite accurate... atlleast the moment, they've lost an ability they use during battle
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • GauntXIIIGauntXIII Member Posts: 276Registered Users

GauntXIII said:

TeNoSkill said:

Qmotion said:

See "Ephraim_Dalton said:
    » show previous quotes
    Like most people even read the patch notes. You are one of those who fallaciously assumes that this forum represents the entirety of the playerbase.

Except they have a big game launcher with an ANNOUNCEMENT section where they can conveniently place a BIG SIGN with a link to the instructions."
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Posts: 1,795Registered Users
    Just have a small pop up that says old saves incompatible on launch if a patch breaks them. I want a fixed and fun game first and foremost.
  • DEM0N_LLAMADEM0N_LLAMA Posts: 533Registered Users
    Yea that made no sense to me. Don't most people never finish their campaigns anyway? I thought CA released something like that.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,375Registered Users, Moderators
    And then, would it only mess up Bretonnian saves or all Mortal Empires saves that still have the Bretonnians in them?
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,893Registered Users
    I don't blame them. Some might be fine with their saves breaking but others would be furious. Don't assume your personal views represent the playerbase.

Happily this makes the best time for an update the launch of the mega campaign with game 3.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • ricmornricmorn Posts: 205Registered Users
    I'd be perfectly fine with patches breaking save games. Happens in nearly every other game I can think of. I usually start a new campaign after a patch anyway. Keeps thing fresh, especially after AI changes I want to see. I hope that's not the only reason holding back the decision to update more Legendary Lords.
    Canuovea said:

And then, would it only mess up Bretonnian saves or all Mortal Empires saves that still have the Bretonnians in them?

It would had 'mess up' only the Bretonnian factions, considering that only their skills should had got moved and changed, and that CA worried only about disappearing skillpoints, for those skills.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,375Registered Users, Moderators
    Tayvar said:

Canuovea said:

It would had 'mess up' only the Bretonnian factions, considering that only their skills should had got moved and changed, and that CA worried only about disappearing skillpoints, for those skills.
    Yes, but the AI's generals and LLs and such might still get all messed up, right?
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
    Canuovea said:

Tayvar said:

Canuovea said:

Yes, but the AI's generals and LLs and such might still get all messed up, right?
    Yes, Bretonnian AI's generals, but then again, AI's skills tend to be messed up anyway. ;)
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    Qmotion said:

My save games break anyway because it is overloaded with mods to make ME enjoyable. Each update i have to start a new game. Even without mods it is usually better to start a new game after an update to prevent possible crashes or bugs appearing. The whole point of ''risk of losing save games'' doesn't make any sense and sounds more like an excuse

For those that dont use mods, breaking save games is always an issue especially if you already have one already going far into the campaign.
  • EizoEizo Posts: 1,006Registered Users
    we are all assuming that CA could have added more stuff in this patch if they where not scare of breaking save game but in reality all the change and bug fixes and bug fix could have been all they could mustered and test during the last month considering that they were both polishing the TK for release and working on Norsca. they where just conservative not to add too much skill tree changes for the Bretonnia lords specifically.
    Eizo said:

we are all assuming that CA could have added more stuff in this patch if they where not scare of breaking save game but in reality all the change and bug fixes and bug fix could have been all they could mustered and test during the last month considering that they were both polishing the TK for release and working on Norsca. they where just conservative not to add too much skill tree changes for the Bretonnia lords specifically.

It's actually make sense that CA is afraid to touch existing skills for Lords, as they tend to never do it, adding some new skills, is not the same as rebalancing and/or move existing skills.
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 3,112Registered Users
    Just to reiterate, apart from the undertaking that is reworking most every game 1 lord, when people who do not know better lose their save game state they will panic. The problem is that these same individuals will not bother to try and comprehend why that save state is gone, tend to be incredibly vocal about not knowing. Leading to a mass bombing run of negative review with a basis in stupidity and CA having to do things like post a notice telling people that modding your game can break it. Only this time, it'll be "due to recent patch work, your previous save games no longer work". It's astounding how many people won't care that it works better now.
  • InquisitornInquisitorn Posts: 98Registered Users
    I totally agree that it's a poor excuse.

Many games has mechanisms that prevent loading of incompatible save games or at least show a warning if it's made with an older version and there might be issues. So it's not like it's a first in the history of gaming.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Posts: 1,531Registered Users
    I break my save games every time I see a new mod I want ooohhh shiny.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    sagranda2 said:

krunsh said:

sagranda2 said:

btw

So missed the patches just to continue their 600 turns Queek ME and and unable to play the new TK at the same time?

I think not.