Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chinese community and Grand Cathay

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,487Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

The Cathay and the DLC banner were gifts from the Chinese fans (as Cathay is the WH equivalent of China). They're not made or officially endorsed by us and nothing to do with our future DLC plans.

Half life 3 confirmed, wait, wrong company.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • BardicInquisitionBardicInquisition Posts: 858Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Bies said:

GW started with AoS and dont care about adding more lore for far far east

I doubt GW cares if CA were the ones to add more material to Cathay, but with Grace's
    Grace_CA said:

The Cathay and the DLC banner were gifts from the Chinese fans (as Cathay is the WH equivalent of China). They're not made or officially endorsed by us and nothing to do with our future DLC plans.

I think we can put the Cathay hype to rest for now.
    We can never put the Cathay hype to rest, not till after it's ingame.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 865Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
    you can hype, just making sure it's informed hype
  • xemmyxemmy Posts: 15Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Boo Hiss
  • rad13rad13 Member Posts: 616Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Ephraim, in terms of sticking to races in the lore, you’re correct imo to discount Cathay et all.

But, don’t dismiss the allure of the extra marketing and sales potential of including Cathay. I’ve been adamant that the next big “tent pole” historic title was going to be China for >12 months (here and reddit)... because it makes so much financial sense it’s impossible to ignore.

And read between the lines of this visit: CA invite selected members of the Chinese TW community to HQ to give them a behind the scenes; completely unique view / brief of 3 kingdoms. They are pursuing the Chinese player market. Heavily.

This kind of feedback would be very influential, given Grace said they haven’t even started work on game 3 yet.
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 1,318Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

I really don't see Cathay will work as a DLC. it should definitely be part of the core game. Since Warhammer 3 is the last game and there won't be a 4th. It is a massive pity that Cathay won't be in Warhammer 3
    I guess there goes our dream for Cathay. Yes I am aware everyone saying CA will never do it/ impossible, so no need to post those

@Ephraim_Dalton

They held the Daemons at Bay for the East, as well as fighting Ogres.

• baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,202Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Yeah. We just for a wider Warhammer World, that's all.

I did not say "confirmed" because of this.

We hope.
    Many here misunderstood it. Must be my english, sooorry.
  • totalromefantotalromefan Senior Member Posts: 526Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Cathype !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,737Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Grace give us Amazons! ;)

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

Bies you already got your Amazons in this event:

• IntertriarriiaeIntertriarriiae Posts: 385Registered Users
    I think with grace saying that, the chance for cathay just got pretty tiny. But that is just me.
    Just tossing in my 2 heresies every once in a while.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,763Registered Users

My, what great and rich lore that is.

Can you make them sound any more boring and stock? At least Kislev, who can boast of the same achievements had an armybook supplement once plus have named characters. What are the named characters for Boringthay? "Dragon Emperor", maybe some sort of Monkey Monarch and some fantasy Confucius-guy because CIN are the den of least effort.

Can you make them sound any more boring and stock? At least Kislev, who can boast of the same achievements had an armybook supplement once plus have named characters. What are the named characters for Boringthay? "Dragon Emperor", maybe some sort of Monkey Monarch and some fantasy Confucius-guy because CIN are the den of least effort.
    There's plenty of room ingame for Kislev and Cathay. Kislev is an ideal pre-order DLC and Cathay is an ideal 4th core faction. I don't know why you'd take the less content route by taking potshots at either.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,402Registered Users
    edited January 2018

Amazons, Halflings, Albion, Kraka Drak.

Done and done again.

No not really. Since the races have to fit on the game#3 map and surely we can factor in that neither Albion not Amazaons have a place there, they are out. Or if you mean as Preorder bonus, they also do not fit on Vortex/Old World and/or have nothing going for them (starting with a severe lack of armyroster). The Moot is again a faction for Empire, not a own race while we could also argue his possibility based on the worldmap implications. Dude, second time now that you display a severe lack of understanding here regarding race & faction.

There's a book called 'Tamurkhan' and several published maps of the wider Warhammer World which do a wonderful job of pointing out that as soon as you cross the Mountains of Mourn, you're not in Cathay. It's an indescribable distance before one even reaches it's most remote western outposts. Good luck getting it with any pretence of adherence to the Lore.

The Fourth race will be either Kislev or the parts of the Warriors of Chaos which we do not yet have.

You know about Total War Warhammer not following regular GW maps to the letter? And you have seen the Vortex campaign map, were for example Araby is directly under Ulthuan? You grasp the whole concept of bending and warping to make a fun campaign map rather then how it actual looks?
    We also have a solid landmass loss with Bretonnia & Araby cutting stuff away deemed "unnecessary".

Which all in all means what you deem "the has to be correct" map is not what really can happen. For example,

when I shrink the Mountains of Mourn around 50% due to gameplay purpose, how much more of Cathay can I fit unto the map? While already having part of Cathay right there and not even scratching the sheer landmass that game#2 covered.

-------Red Dox

There's plenty of room ingame for Kislev and Cathay. Kislev is an ideal pre-order DLC and Cathay is an ideal 4th core faction. I don't know why you'd take the less content route by taking potshots at either.
    I don't want sideshow content coming before the ACUTAL WH content. Y'know, the stuff I've been following and in which Cathay played no role in.

CIN should only come as the last pieces of content. EVERYTHING else has better reasons to be put in first, including the stupid Amazons.

• IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynPosts: 10,991Registered Users
    edited January 2018

I think with grace saying that, the chance for cathay just got pretty tiny. But that is just me.

I think Grace said that the map presented to CA was a gift - it doesn't mean Cathay or not.
    Red_Dox said:

There's a book called 'Tamurkhan' and several published maps of the wider Warhammer World which do a wonderful job of pointing out that as soon as you cross the Mountains of Mourn, you're not in Cathay. It's an indescribable distance before one even reaches it's most remote western outposts. Good luck getting it with any pretence of adherence to the Lore.

The Fourth race will be either Kislev or the parts of the Warriors of Chaos which we do not yet have.

You know about Total War Warhammer not following regular GW maps to the letter? And you have seen the Vortex campaign map, were for example Araby is directly under Ulthuan? You grasp the whole concept of bending and warping to make a fun campaign map rather then how it actual looks?
    We also have a solid landmass loss with Bretonnia & Araby cutting stuff away deemed "unnecessary".

Which all in all means what you deem "the has to be correct" map is not what really can happen. For example,

when I shrink the Mountains of Mourn around 50% due to gameplay purpose, how much more of Cathay can I fit unto the map? While already having part of Cathay right there and not even scratching the sheer landmass that game#2 covered.

-------Red Dox
    Sure, CA could totally ignore the Wastes between the Mountains and Cathay like in the outdated map you've found. Or they could do the more loreful, more economic thing of leaving Cathay in it's correct, distant place. There is no strong reason for Cathay to be present in any form. Merely the wishes of part of the Community. Given how much of Naggaroth and Lustria was lost in Mortal Empires, I have no expectation of Warhammer III extending beyond the Ogre Kingdoms.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Posts: 1,459Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Oh Grace that really hurts. I'll still hope for the WH world though. I can't see another company doing it anywhere near as well as you guys would. Still crossing fingers and toes

Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    edited January 2018
    No not really. Since the races have to fit on the game#3 map and surely we can factor in that neither Albion not Amazaons have a place there, they are out. Or if you mean as Preorder bonus, they also do not fit on Vortex/Old World and/or have nothing going for them (starting with a severe lack of armyroster). The Moot is again a faction for Empire, not a own race. Dude, second time now that you display a severe lack of understanding here.

I could take all those complaints about Albion/Amazons and apply them to CIN, since they have no armyroster and a non-existant lore footprint so thanks for defeating your own argument. They would also be far off from the darklands anyway, so proximity wouldn't even be an argument.

Also, the east doesn't fit onto the combined campaign map which would be one of #3 main selling points since the current one has only provisions for the darklands.

A much better idea for #3's campaign map is one that expands north into the Chaos Wastes, which means Albion could have a place.

Done and done.

• Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 865Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

I think Grace said that the map presented to CA was a gift - it doesn't mean Cathay or not.
    right.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,134Registered Users, Moderators
    I wouldn't mind having CIN eventually. After the other stuff. Maybe a Warhammer 4 if GW was feeling okay with that and CA was up to the task.

But I highly doubt we're getting them in Warhammer 3.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour

I don't want sideshow content coming before the ACUTAL WH content. Y'know, the stuff I've been following and in which Cathay played no role in.

CIN should only come as the last pieces of content. EVERYTHING else has better reasons to be put in first, including the stupid Amazons.
    As has already been explained the Amazons have no place in game 3, nor do the factions you've previously listed bar Kislev which is a pre-order DLC. Cathay is right there on the map. With 3 factions left to implement there's a 4th core slot open and Cathay is in the perfect location for it.

The best way to create game 3 involves using Cathay's lands, thus the best game 3 involves Cathay as a core faction.

------ The Beast.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,134Registered Users, Moderators

As has already been explained the Amazons have no place in game 3, nor do the factions you've previously listed bar Kislev which is a pre-order DLC. Cathay is right there on the map. With 3 factions left to implement there's a 4th core slot open and Cathay is in the perfect location for it.

The best way to create game 3 involves using Cathay's lands, thus the best game 3 involves Cathay as a core faction.

------ The Beast.
    We don't know if Kislev is preorder DLC. We know nothing yet.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • PaulHPaulH Posts: 1,310Registered Users

There are actually more named Nippon characters than Cathayan in the lore that I've read so far; Honda Susuki, Onan the Ronin and Kumi Kaze the Pale Face of Death.
  • TsiarTsiar Posts: 298Registered Users
    Didn't CA come out and say the russian datamined map was "pretty spot on"? Didn't that map go all the way to the Mountains of Mourn?
    How the hell is the Cathay meme still alive?
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,402Registered Users
    edited January 2018

Sure, CA could totally ignore the Wastes between the Mountains and Cathay like in the outdated map you've found. Or they could do the more loreful, more economic thing of leaving Cathay in it's correct, distant place. There is no strong reason for Cathay to be present in any form. Merely the wishes of part of the Community. Given how much of Naggaroth and Lustria was lost in Mortal Empires, I have no expectation of Warhammer III extending beyond the Ogre Kingdoms.

There you have the actual GW map regarding Cathay

http://warhammer-fb.narod.ru/
    Was a poster in White Dwarf? For WD abbonements? Mail Order customeres? Don't remember.

Here is your 8th edition Ogre Kingdom map

This is the map fresh out of the 8th edition rulebook

Must be a terrible cold day in hell if 8th edition maps are now called "outdated".

And here are your precious Tamurkhan maps

which really do not show anything wildley different. In fact I really can see how they perfectly outline with the above maps.

So again, for the game#3 campaign map (and yes, that is different then Mportal Empires where you want to shift the problem now) your whole assumption is still baseless, since you do know **** about how CA will make the map. I also do know **** about that, but at least since they CLEARLY made a mockery of GW worldmaps for Vortex campaign map, I acknowledge that the game#3 campaign map can be bend and warped the same way (or even more) to include everything until Nippon if they wanted.

Regarding ME your point is more valid. But you do not know how far that map will change/extend. Best recent example is the "oohhh crooked mountains for Tretch" thing, while we still can't walk that area of the map. And I would see little problems in extending the map with Dark Lands+Mountains of Mourn+some land beyond that, to include parts of Cathay when not the whole land. With enough shrinking and bending, probably whole Cathay could fit unto whatever the next supercombo map will be also. Of course stretching that far would only make sense if Cathay would be in as one of the campaign core races first, so until we know that for sure it is a 50:50 toin coss.

------Red Dox

edited January 2018
    Lol, now you've done it Izzy, questioning Red Dox's lore chops.

Hey Red Dox, do you have the Tamurkhan map that has Zanbaijian on it?
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,263Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    I think Cathay as territory, faction and subfactions is too much to handle for CA, but i believe we will at least have some cathayan mercenaries units.
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,263Registered Users

I understand that you want Warhammer to stay focused on the classic stuff and elfs/humans/dwarfves against daemons in the Old World but think about it : Araby, Cathay, Ind, Nippon could've eventually saved Warhammer Fantasy if Game Workshop decided to invest more in these factions.
    From the point of view of the Old World people, Lizardmens are just as alien as Araby and CIN but the lizards bring plenty of fun/lore to the game and they largely contributed to the interest of people for Warhammer.

• acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Posts: 332Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    It was just a map presented. I also want Ind to be there as well, and Nippon. That doesn't mean CA isn't open, they've already changed their minds in the past so who knows?

We may get a Cathay DLC - but that will only be confirmed by CA itself when the time comes. I think they're aware that Cathay, Ind and Nippon are in demand.

Fighting more Orcs and Chaos warriors....is just boring tbh. But that is my opinion, and you don't need to get triggered on it. There's a certain section of the fanbase that definitely doesn't want to see these exotic factions in the game. That's your opinion. And I respect that.

But we CIN people have to keep arguing for it until we get it. We cannot let them try and deny that.