Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chinese community and Grand Cathay

Comments

• HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    Speak for yourself i couldn't care less about CIN
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,439Registered Users
    Wargol5 said:

They held the Daemons at Bay for the East, as well as fighting Ogres.

My, what great and rich lore that is.

Can you make them sound any more boring and stock? At least Kislev, who can boast of the same achievements had an armybook supplement once plus have named characters. What are the named characters for Boringthay? "Dragon Emperor", maybe some sort of Monkey Monarch and some fantasy Confucius-guy because CIN are the den of least effort.
    There's plenty of room ingame for Kislev and Cathay. Kislev is an ideal pre-order DLC and Cathay is an ideal 4th core faction. I don't know why you'd take the less content route by taking potshots at either.
    I don't want sideshow content coming before the ACUTAL WH content. Y'know, the stuff I've been following and in which Cathay played no role in.

CIN should only come as the last pieces of content. EVERYTHING else has better reasons to be put in first, including the stupid Amazons.
    I understand that you want Warhammer to stay focused on the classic stuff and elfs/humans/dwarfves against daemons in the Old World but think about it : Araby, Cathay, Ind, Nippon could've eventually saved Warhammer Fantasy if Game Workshop decided to invest more in these factions.
    From the point of view of the Old World people, Lizardmens are just as alien as Araby and CIN but the lizards bring plenty of fun/lore to the game and they largely contributed to the interest of people for Warhammer.

I understand people are frustrated that there was never a release of a Cathay army. I can also understand many being really angry as well with Age of Sigmar for killing off the unique identities, named characters and culture of places like Araby, Nehekhara, Cathay etc.

However GW did actually try and open the possibility of a imperial Chinese army existing and kept other ideas like Araby and Chaos Dwarfs alive with some references here and there. At the same time
    • Tomb Kings was performing badly
    • So was Beastmen
    • Bretonnia was pretty much dead as well.
    I really doubt including the far-eastern factions would of saved Warhammer Fantasy.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Posts: 520Registered Users

That's what they said about Three Kingdoms too lol
  • Shomy9342Shomy9342 Posts: 340Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    PaulH said:

Can you make them sound any more boring and stock? At least Kislev, who can boast of the same achievements had an armybook supplement once plus have named characters. What are the named characters for Boringthay? "Dragon Emperor", maybe some sort of Monkey Monarch and some fantasy Confucius-guy because CIN are the den of least effort.
    There are actually more named Nippon characters than Cathayan in the lore that I've read so far; Honda Susuki, Onan the Ronin and Kumi Kaze the Pale Face of Death.
    Where did you get does names? Because on Warhammer Wiki there are names of Cathay characters. One even has a book about his adventures in Southlands and Lustria.

Here are names: Captain Yin-Tuan (on which book was based), Emperor Xen Huong, Emperor Wu, Prince Xian Ha Feng, Naaima, Master Po.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Emperor

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yin-Tuan

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Master_Po

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cathay

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Naaima

Edit: Got that Nippon characters are joke, but at least I show some of Cathay named characters for does who think that Cathay has no named characters.
    Post edited by Shomy9342 on
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,263Registered Users

But do you care about something else than dark elves ? :smirk:
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,439Registered Users
    Wargol5 said:

There's plenty of room ingame for Kislev and Cathay. Kislev is an ideal pre-order DLC and Cathay is an ideal 4th core faction. I don't know why you'd take the less content route by taking potshots at either.
    I don't want sideshow content coming before the ACUTAL WH content. Y'know, the stuff I've been following and in which Cathay played no role in.

CIN should only come as the last pieces of content. EVERYTHING else has better reasons to be put in first, including the stupid Amazons.
    I understand that you want Warhammer to stay focused on the classic stuff and elfs/humans/dwarfves against daemons in the Old World but think about it : Araby, Cathay, Ind, Nippon could've eventually saved Warhammer Fantasy if Game Workshop decided to invest more in these factions.
    From the point of view of the Old World people, Lizardmens are just as alien as Araby and CIN but the lizards bring plenty of fun/lore to the game and they largely contributed to the interest of people for Warhammer.

I respect that some people are frustrated that there was never a release of a Cathay army. I also understand that probably most people in these forums are really angry that Age of Sigmar killed off most if not all the unique identities, named characters and cultures of Araby, Nehekhara, Cathay etc.

Still at least with Warhammer Fantasy, GW opened up the possibility of such factions existing and still gave references to Araby and the Chaos Dwarfs to sort of give some hope for players. However you need to consider that,
    • The Tomb Kings were doing really bad sales wise
    • So was the Beastmen
    • Bretonnia was pretty much dead as well
    I really doubt that the far-east factions would of saved Warhammer Fantasy.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    talonn said:

That's what they said about Three Kingdoms too lol
    What does that got to do with it I am sure the people that said that won't be buying it .Claiming that
    Every TT player knew the Tower of Ashair diorama. It's a dream for everyone to have Cathay.
    is ridiculous.

But do you care about something else than dark elves ?

What makes you think i don't?

Wargol5 said:

I respect that some people are frustrated that there was never a release of a Cathay army. I also understand that probably most people in these forums are really angry that Age of Sigmar killed off most if not all the unique identities, named characters and cultures of Araby, Nehekhara, Cathay etc.

Still at least with Warhammer Fantasy, GW opened up the possibility of such factions existing and still gave references to Araby and the Chaos Dwarfs to sort of give some hope for players. However you need to consider that,
    • The Tomb Kings were doing really bad sales wise
    • So was the Beastmen
    • Bretonnia was pretty much dead as well
    You're right, but i believe it's largely due to how GW handled these factions (very bad).
    Game Workshop's blatant favoritism toward some factions led beastmens and bretonnia to be left behind (the most recent bretonnia armybook is from the 6th edition i think ? ) so it's not surprising their sales was bad.

• BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    Shomy9342 said:

PaulH said:

There are actually more named Nippon characters than Cathayan in the lore that I've read so far; Honda Susuki, Onan the Ronin and Kumi Kaze the Pale Face of Death.
    Where did you get does names? Because on Warhammer Wiki there are names of Cathay characters. One even has a book about his adventures in Southlands and Lustria.

Here are names: Captain Yin-Tuan (on which book was based), Emperor Xen Huong, Emperor Wu, Prince Xian Ha Feng, Naaima, Master Po.

It was a joke :p Honda Suzuki what the hell haha

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• Shomy9342Shomy9342 Posts: 340Registered Users
    Bies said:

Shomy9342 said:

PaulH said:

Yeah, I figured. I was at my friends house and didn't have time to edit that.
  • Galvinized_IronGalvinized_Iron Posts: 822Registered Users
    Red_Dox said:

Ugh, another Cathay thread. I'm one of these people now.

Cathay is the best choice for a core of game 3.

If only they were partially on the map.
    So, you already KNOW the game#3 map? Please do leak it.

Core races #3: Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs, OK and KISLEV! There, done and done.

That's four for core. Missing Preorder as well as at least one race DLC and max. three ;)

-------Red Dox
    Pre-order for game 2 was basically game 1 faction, so migt as well be one of the southern realms, who should be added long before any Cathay.
  • Galvinized_IronGalvinized_Iron Posts: 822Registered Users
    PaulH said:

Haha those names:
    1. Japanese car manufacturer + Japanese car manufacturer
    2. Ninjaman
    3. Kamikaze

If that's the bar may I suggest adding:
    1. Toyotama Mazda
    2. Kinjo the Ninjo
    3. Bah Nazai
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Posts: 247Registered Users
    That's awesome, I hope they succeed. It will be a while until game 3 but the new Three Kingdoms, the number of people wanting these factions and interviews stating that more minor factions are part of the plan are all good signs that it can happen.

I have to agree with Red Dox as well as game 2's standalone map was absolutely massive in terms of what it got in (Araby alone is about the size of the Old World). It showed that we have a precedent for warping the map and changing the size of areas if necessary. With this, the rest of the world can definitely make it in (just make the major factions areas the largest with the most detail). I also can't see the game 3 standalone map only being the Northern Chaos Wastes, Dark Lands and Mountains of Mourn as that is too small.

Don't worry about the combined map as Cathay and Nippon are known for expeditions so their land is not needed for the combined map. The combined map for me just has to reach the Mountains of Mourn. So, game 2 can still get Araby and Dogs of War/Southern Realms. Game 3 can finish the three remaining major factions with Kislev as pre-order and Cathay and Nippon could be the final factions of the series.
  • mw51630mw51630 Member Posts: 1,593Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

The Cathay and the DLC banner were gifts from the Chinese fans (as Cathay is the WH equivalent of China). They're not made or officially endorsed by us and nothing to do with our future DLC plans.

Welp that seems like confirmation that Cathay isn't happening...
    Grace_CA said:

you can hype, just making sure it's informed hype

Nevermind, back to "possible."
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Posts: 1,472Registered Users
    "a dream for everyone"

Stop involving me in this
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

• Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 3,038Registered Users
    I cant see it happening. In order to create it CA wouldnt just need to make a Warhammer Game, it'd be a whole new game entirely. Or at least one hellava expansion to the current project.

There is literally nothing on Cathay. They are functionally just a place holder. We have no models, no geographic details, no names, no heros, no lords, no magic, no anything. The faction exists only as lines on a map. And before you say but Norsca, near everything in that had a precedent. It all existed in some form or another in Warhammer. Cathay may as well not exist.

I wouldnt mind seeing them kind of tacked onto the dark lands. I just dont think its realistic at all. At least not in this trilogy. New project maybe, but with three kingdoms on its way im doubting even that.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Posts: 3,058Registered Users

I cant see it happening. In order to create it CA wouldnt just need to make a Warhammer Game, it'd be a whole new game entirely. Or at least one hellava expansion to the current project.

There is literally nothing on Cathay. They are functionally just a place holder. We have no models, no geographic details, no names, no heros, no lords, no magic, no anything. The faction exists only as lines on a map. And before you say but Norsca, near everything in that had a precedent. It all existed in some form or another in Warhammer. Cathay may as well not exist.

I wouldnt mind seeing them kind of tacked onto the dark lands. I just dont think its realistic at all. At least not in this trilogy. New project maybe, but with three kingdoms on its way im doubting even that.

there are hints for units in official stuff

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 3,038Registered Users
    blaat said:

there are hints for units in official stuff
    Hints so thin if the hints were ice we'd all drown.
  • mw51630mw51630 Member Posts: 1,593Registered Users
    I mean, Cathay only really makes sense if you think CA will continue the same level of content and DLC for game 3 as they have for 1 and 2.

So Game 2:
    Core; Lizardmen, Dark Elves, High Elves, Skaven
    Pre-Order: Norsca
    DLC: Tomb Kings

Game 3;
    Core: Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, and UNKNOWN
    Pre-Order: Kislev?
    DLC: UNKNOWN

Now I've heard people mention Kislev, Divided Daemons, Nagash, and of course Cathay. Or there's just less content.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,588Registered Users
    Well, whatever the outcome, in terms of fan-activism, this sure as hell beats whining on the forums.

Good on you, Chinese Warhammer fan dudes!
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynPosts: 10,991Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Red_Dox said:

Sure, CA could totally ignore the Wastes between the Mountains and Cathay like in the outdated map you've found. Or they could do the more loreful, more economic thing of leaving Cathay in it's correct, distant place. There is no strong reason for Cathay to be present in any form. Merely the wishes of part of the Community. Given how much of Naggaroth and Lustria was lost in Mortal Empires, I have no expectation of Warhammer III extending beyond the Ogre Kingdoms.

Regarding ME your point is more valid. But you do not know how far that map will change/extend. Best recent example is the "oohhh crooked mountains for Tretch" thing, while we still can't walk that area of the map. And I would see little problems in extending the map with Dark Lands+Mountains of Mourn+some land beyond that, to include parts of Cathay when not the whole land. With enough shrinking and bending, probably whole Cathay could fit unto whatever the next supercombo map will be also. Of course stretching that far would only make sense if Cathay would be in as one of the campaign core races first, so until we know that for sure it is a 50:50 toin coss.

------Red Dox

On the contrary, the narrative and maps presented in Tamurkhan quite clearly show that Cathay does not start as the Mountains of Mourn end. It is possible for 8th Edition to retcon 8th Edition - Dwarfs and Warriors of Chaos disagree on the status of Kraka Drak. Tamurkhan clearly states that the intervention of the Chaos Gods was needed for Tamurkhan's horde to reach the Eastern Edge of the Mountains of Mourn in anything like the time required, and a splinter of his force still had to march East in order to reach Cathay's Western outposts.
    Shomy9342 said:
    I understand that she appears in the End Times and I haven't read that, but my theory was always that Naaima is not actually Cathayan - she was taken to Cathay at some point in life. She's never described as having Cathayan features in 'Neferata' or 'Master of Death', in the way that another Vampire from 'The Serpent Queen' - Nictocris - resembles sub-saharan Africans by description, and to my understanding the name 'Naaima' is Hebrew-inspired.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • GalenHHHGalenHHH Junior Member Posts: 1,233Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Red_Dox said:

That's four for core. Missing Preorder as well as at least one race DLC and max. three ;)

-------Red Dox
    Or you could split DoC to 4 and get 4 cores and keep the rest as DLC .Throw in some updates for game 1 and 2 races and voila game 3 ready .

Edit- Also got to love the hypocrisy in some of the posters around here...
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Posts: 1,596Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

The Cathay and the DLC banner were gifts from the Chinese fans (as Cathay is the WH equivalent of China). They're not made or officially endorsed by us and nothing to do with our future DLC plans.

Good, thank you.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,434Registered Users
    Canuovea said:

As has already been explained the Amazons have no place in game 3, nor do the factions you've previously listed bar Kislev which is a pre-order DLC. Cathay is right there on the map. With 3 factions left to implement there's a 4th core slot open and Cathay is in the perfect location for it.

The best way to create game 3 involves using Cathay's lands, thus the best game 3 involves Cathay as a core faction.

------ The Beast.
    We don't know if Kislev is preorder DLC. We know nothing yet.
    I never said it was.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,133Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

you can hype, just making sure it's informed hype

Whoa, that is not how things work around here and I know you know that. Middenland confirmed.
    Later
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,525Registered Users
    Bies said:

Okey so its time for us amazon supporters to deliver map about grand empire of amazons :p
    GW started with AoS and don't care about adding more lore for far far east

Amazons supporters are require to come to CA's HQ while wearing a bikini or a speedo. :)

There is literally nothing on Cathay. They are functionally just a place holder. We have no models, no geographic details, no names, no heros, no lords, no magic, no anything.

Actually, we have some scraps of lore and some named places,
    According to wikia, Cathayan people use dark and high magic and they call it ying and yang.
    They also use astromancy and Tzeentch is known as Chen the deceiver.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,434Registered Users
    GalenHHH said:

Red_Dox said:

-------Red Dox
    Or you could split DoC to 4 and get 4 cores and keep the rest as DLC .Throw in some updates for game 1 and 2 races and voila game 3 ready .

Edit- Also got to love the hypocrisy in some of the posters around here...
    4 Core Demon races would be bad for multiple reasons. You'd be splitting an awesome roster in 4 to make 4 mediocre races, variety would go down to zilch since they'd all be variations on the same thing and have similar playstyles, and you'd annoy TT Demon fans because you'd be splitting the roster in 4.

Game 3 makes the most sense with 4 Core races; Ogres, Demons, Chaos Dwarves and Cathay.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    Bies said:

Shomy9342 said:

PaulH said:

You say this, but it has about as much creativity as a lot of GW's other names.
    Later
    Tayvar said:

Bies said:

Okey so its time for us amazon supporters to deliver map about grand empire of amazons :p
    GW started with AoS and don't care about adding more lore for far far east

Amazons supporters are require to come to CA's HQ while wearing a bikini or a speedo. :)
    You have to know that is not going to end well for anyone.
    Later