Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chinese community and Grand Cathay

13468918

Comments

  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,351Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2018
    Let's ease up folks. This is a computer game, not a personal commentary on real life. It is a way to pass our free time doing something that interests us all.

    From a personal perspective I've wanted a game like this for years, (and I live in the middle of the US). I'm glad that Creative Assembly has gone there. I also think that there is much more that can be done, from a historical context, in Asia and the Mid-East. End of personal perspective.

    From the Forum Terms & Conditions everyone agreed to follow when signing up to participate in forum discussion:


    5) TotalWar.com Forum Behaviour:
    5.2a Country, faction and culture threads have a regular tendency to break our forum rules. If a certain culture, faction or country is not included in the game it is purely due to design reasons and not due to any other factor such as politics or prejudice.
    5.2b All history is, to some degree, the received view of those who record, recount or interpret it. When discussing culture, faction or country we expect a very high calibre of rationale. Expressions of nationalism or racism will not be tolerated. Any thread that has deviated from its course will be closed.

    Thank you:
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,365Registered Users
    Erwin99 said:

    Tayvar said:

    Guys, we have to see what happens THIS game.
    If we get Araby, the near to zero chances of Cathay will just skyrocket.
    It's literally fundamental to get the Dogs of War and Araby in this game to guess properly what is coming next. And Dogs of War seems to be the next, as every hints goes to them atm.

    Not Dogs of War, only Araby, CA might not want to add the Dogs of War because they have a lot of units from other Factions, but Araby is higher on the likelihood of being added then Cathay.
    Well Dogs of War at their core was mostly a tilean/southern realms human army. All the units from other factions were Regiments of Renown.
    Regiments of Renown were individual units of the Dogs of War list. They're basically the same. The Tilean units were also Regiments of Renown, there were no "generic" units on it.
  • KallisteKalliste Posts: 69Registered Users
    I dont think they have any immediate plans for the any Cathay game.

    The main reason i can think of is they are releasing a Total war game based in China and releasing a Total war warhammer game around Cathay would be a bad marketing idea as it may confuse the Total war community.

    but boys we can dream, we can dream

    I think it would be better then then deamons as there are more expansion options for new armies and CA can really put there skills and ideas together.

    And the last game would be the deamons which can invade from the north against everyone..... hmmmmmm TOTAL WAR :)
  • Erwin99Erwin99 Posts: 185Registered Users
    Ixus said:

    So 3 Kingdoms isn't enough cultural representation? My country is the largest consumer of these games and all we've been is a minor DLC in Empires.

    Which country is your country? Because China is a pretty big consumer of Total War, too. Also, again, Cathay has the most out of any eastern faction which is why they'd be the most likely faction out of the far east ones to be used, if at all.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 15,415Registered Users
    Kalliste said:

    I dont think they have any immediate plans for the any Cathay game.

    The main reason i can think of is they are releasing a Total war game based in China and releasing a Total war warhammer game around Cathay would be a bad marketing idea as it may confuse the Total war community.

    but boys we can dream, we can dream

    I think it would be better then then deamons as there are more expansion options for new armies and CA can really put there skills and ideas together.

    And the last game would be the deamons which can invade from the north against everyone..... hmmmmmm TOTAL WAR :)

    How would it confuse the community?
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,378Registered Users
    In game 2 we can only get vortex map possible armies like Araby, Albion, Amazons, Vampire Coast and perhaps some of the mercenaries from DOW (maybe just tilean units, but it would still require new regiments to create from scratch).

    So here is the deal, for the factions I have just mentioned I can trust CA to do an amazing job regarding their models and battle mechanics, considering redesigns units like the treekin and Heirotitan. However I am a bit sceptical when it comes to original units and some of the writing quality, which will be needed to make Cathay. I am talking about stuff like lore, identity, interaction and purpose of the army.

    If they can do a good job with a brand new and never seen faction for the vortex map then maybe I can trust CA to do Cathay.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,474Registered Users

    In game 2 we can only get vortex map possible armies like Araby, Albion, Amazons, Vampire Coast and perhaps some of the mercenaries from DOW (maybe just tilean units, but it would still require new regiments to create from scratch).

    So here is the deal, for the factions I have just mentioned I can trust CA to do an amazing job regarding their models and battle mechanics, considering redesigns units like the treekin and Heirotitan. However I am a bit sceptical when it comes to original units and some of the writing quality, which will be needed to make Cathay. I am talking about stuff like lore, identity, interaction and purpose of the army.

    If they can do a good job with a brand new and never seen faction for the vortex map then maybe I can trust CA to do Cathay.

    It's better for CA to not work on Cathay alone in any case, they can work on it with GW writer.
  • Erwin99Erwin99 Posts: 185Registered Users

    Erwin99 said:

    Tayvar said:

    Guys, we have to see what happens THIS game.
    If we get Araby, the near to zero chances of Cathay will just skyrocket.
    It's literally fundamental to get the Dogs of War and Araby in this game to guess properly what is coming next. And Dogs of War seems to be the next, as every hints goes to them atm.

    Not Dogs of War, only Araby, CA might not want to add the Dogs of War because they have a lot of units from other Factions, but Araby is higher on the likelihood of being added then Cathay.
    Well Dogs of War at their core was mostly a tilean/southern realms human army. All the units from other factions were Regiments of Renown.
    Regiments of Renown were individual units of the Dogs of War list. They're basically the same. The Tilean units were also Regiments of Renown, there were no "generic" units on it.
    So what you're saying is that literally every unit in the army book was a Regiment of Renown? Because if I remember rightly it was still where units of other races was a minority.
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Posts: 465Registered Users

    I really hope they don't do Cathay, they have next to no lore significance whatsoever: the most they did was sail an army west that got butchered by the Lizardmen. What will they do, add an entire map and faction based purely on speculation? They didn't even have TT models if I remember correctly.

    I hope they don't do Cathay for entirely different reasons. But Cathay, if following the history of Chinese culture in life, will NOT sail an army west. They won't sail an army anywhere. Xenophobic isolationist should be a fair description.

    As for having Cathay, with the way the game is running in ME, I don't think the program can afford another large continent. Unless there is a break through in technology within the next couple years, the game will run poorly.
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Posts: 465Registered Users
    Kalliste said:

    I dont think they have any immediate plans for the any Cathay game.

    The main reason i can think of is they are releasing a Total war game based in China and releasing a Total war warhammer game around Cathay would be a bad marketing idea as it may confuse the Total war community.

    but boys we can dream, we can dream

    I think it would be better then then deamons as there are more expansion options for new armies and CA can really put there skills and ideas together.

    And the last game would be the deamons which can invade from the north against everyone..... hmmmmmm TOTAL WAR :)

    I don't think so either based on Grace's comment.

    But the main reason is that it was not in the original plan. If CA does things according to typical project management, they already have plans for all 3 games laid out. This allows them to procure resources for development beforehand and also they can recycle certain codes.

    Also, I am not sure if CA really takes the Chinese market seriously. The Chinese community hasn't been exactly happy about the Chinese translation and the UI accessibility from one keyboard to another.
  • MiniaArMiniaAr Posts: 339Registered Users

    Erwin99 said:

    Tayvar said:

    Guys, we have to see what happens THIS game.
    If we get Araby, the near to zero chances of Cathay will just skyrocket.
    It's literally fundamental to get the Dogs of War and Araby in this game to guess properly what is coming next. And Dogs of War seems to be the next, as every hints goes to them atm.

    Not Dogs of War, only Araby, CA might not want to add the Dogs of War because they have a lot of units from other Factions, but Araby is higher on the likelihood of being added then Cathay.
    Well Dogs of War at their core was mostly a tilean/southern realms human army. All the units from other factions were Regiments of Renown.
    Regiments of Renown were individual units of the Dogs of War list. They're basically the same. The Tilean units were also Regiments of Renown, there were no "generic" units on it.
    I disagree.

    There are a lot of units in the Dogs of War roster that can be qualified as "generic":
    http://www.sadmuppets.org/articles/regimentsofrenown.pdf

    Lords:
    Mercenary General
    Hireling Wizard Lord

    Hero:
    Paymaster
    Mercenary Captain
    Hireling Wizard

    Infantry
    Pikemen
    Crossbowmen
    Duellists
    Paymaster's Bodyguard

    Cavalry
    Heavy Cavalry
    Light Cavalry

    Artillery:
    Cannons
    Halfling Hot Pot

    You also had units from other factions. I'm not sure they should be included in the base roster, but they were also generic:
    Dwarfs
    Norse Marauders
    Ogres
    Halflings

    And finally, you had the Regiments of Renown, a.k.a the non-generic par of the army. Dogs of War were really a two part army:
    • Regular troops, mainly from Tilea/Estalia/Border prince + the occasional racial contingent
    • Regiments of renown
    Ideally, if DoW would be implemented, I hope that CA will be able to keep this distinction. Alternatively, CA could also use the Regiments of Renown to extrapolate regular units from them.

    This topic from October develops similar ideas, and I think would make for a very interesting Dogs of War faction.
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/203868/dogs-of-war-follow-up/p1
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,253Registered Users
    edited January 2018

    I really hope they don't do Cathay, they have next to no lore significance whatsoever: the most they did was sail an army west that got butchered by the Lizardmen. What will they do, add an entire map and faction based purely on speculation? They didn't even have TT models if I remember correctly.

    I hope they don't do Cathay for entirely different reasons. But Cathay, if following the history of Chinese culture in life, will NOT sail an army west. They won't sail an army anywhere. Xenophobic isolationist should be a fair description.

    As for having Cathay, with the way the game is running in ME, I don't think the program can afford another large continent. Unless there is a break through in technology within the next couple years, the game will run poorly.
    But since Cathay is not China IRL, Cathayans expeditions can totally sail in the west, they already did it so nothing prevent them to do it again eventually.

    Also, they trade frenquently with the high elves, so they're not so xenophobic.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,872Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Some off-topic comments removed.

    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

    |Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

    Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

    "We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,001Registered Users
    Erwin99 said:

    Crossil said:

    Erwin99 said:

    Crossil said:

    Erwin99 said:

    Crossil said:

    Erwin99 said:

    Crossil said:

    Erwin99 said:

    It amazes me how people are willing to settle for less content (no Cathay) "just because". It's as if they don't realize Warhammer 3 is gonna have a big chunk of it missing without Cathay, with only having Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, and blasted wasteland/mountains as a map. Kislev included as a good race would be cool, but having it as a main faction? Foolishness. There's 2 LLs max that they have, meaning there's no DLC potential there.

    Expanding all the way to Cathay opens up DLC potential not otherwise available between Kislev and the Mountains of Mourn, such as the Hobgoblin Khanate as well as having other Warhammer 1 and 2 races show up like Dark Elves who raid Cathay, as well as high elf colonies.

    There's SO much more variety if you include Cathay that I don't understand why people stick so doggedly to having just a tiny, uninteresting sliver of area such as the Darklands and Mountains of Mourn alone rather than as part of a larger map we can play on.

    There's also the Chinese market to take into account, which is something CA clearly is aware of considering the announcement of Three Kingdoms as a tentpole title, and on top of that for old Warhammer fans you can present something entirely fresh and new that's never been seen before to hype up Warhammer 3 with, rather than 4 (5 including Chaos Dwarfs) flavours of chaos and ogres. And Kislev too, who are always being besieged by Chaos and never have gone outside of their starting area, unlike other races like Cathay.

    Well Chaos is most popular aspect of Warhammer. 4 Chaos Gods duking it out with their own special armies would probably make them more happy then another human faction. We have Empire, Bretonnia, Norsca and WoC and will probably get Araby, Dogs of War and Kislev at that point. With DoC as one we'll need other races that CA will want to sell of which there's only Hobgoblin Khanate that's not human.

    4 Daemons or just even more humans. Since we get humans in all other games I'd prefer daemons in this one.
    Yes, but that's one demographic of Warhammer fans. CA could just make a proper singular Daemon faction like DoC were on tabletop with the addition of chaos god specific chaos warrior units and people would be happy. Also, again, China is a big market. Having something that appeals to them in the finale of the trilogy would be far more likely to boost sales than extra demons. Also, while Chaos may have been most popular with Warhammer fans, people were complaining that there weren't enough human factions in Warhammer 2 or that it wasn't worth being a standalone game due to worries over lack of content before release. If Warhammer 3 has mostly just daemon factions/evil or neutral factions and one human "good" faction that's a minor one like Kislev shoved into the left side of the map, there'd definitely be less content and variety than Warhammer 2, resulting in worse marketability and thus worse sales. Besides, CA isn't just trying to appeal to just hardcore Warhammer fans here, they're trying to appeal to the average fantasy fan or strategy game player who don't even know what Warhammer is or who only got into Warhammer with the the previous two games, meaning variety and breadth of content is key.
    I'm not sure. I'd say most of those who dislike the fantasy already jumped ship and the Chinese will get 3K so overlap would make Cathay harder to sell compared to that one. Though I hope for Albion I'd be surprised due to Thrones coming out.

    In my mind Cathay could only come as final DLC as a final salute to Warhammer. And even that is unlikely due to GW. CA is not in control. So 4 Chaos god armies can't be escaped in any way.
    Well, of course everyone who disliked Fantasy jumped ship. I didn't say they were marketing it to fans who swore off the series, they're marketing it to people who are "new" as in people new to Warhammer Fantasy who've bought the previous two total war games, and people who are on the fence, or straight up people who are new to strategy and who just enjoy Fantasy games. Also, I doubt having two Chinese-themes in two games (especially since Cathay is Chinese Fantasy while 3K is Chinese Historical, and Cathay would just be one faction) will cause oversaturation.

    I can't imagine something as huge as Cathay being DLC, especially since in past experience CA only makes faction DLC for areas already on the map. So if anything, it makes more sense to have the area of Kislev except placeholder and then have them a DLC and have Cathay as a main faction.

    I agree that 4 chaos factions are happening, but I think people overextend by saying it will ONLY be each gods units for that faction. I'm thinking it's more likely that there's 4 LLs, one for each god, and they each get reductions in upkeep and other bonuses for the units related to that god, but not outright stopping you from using other gods daemons for the sake of not restricting players.
    WE weren't on the map at start. You can expand map eastward later.

    And yeah CA is not in control here. With GW pushing god specific armies on TT, I'm just saying....

    As for those customers... most important ones are commited ones. Any newcomers will be taking up game 1 due to Empire and Bretonnia sooner then other two.

    China or not-China? Maybe not saturated but when given choice they'd prefer a popular history don't you think? Chinese who like fantasy are probably already in while those who are not will prefer 3K.
    The area the Wood Elves were on WAS there, though, but just inaccessible. All faction DLC has only ever expanded the areas already on the map, like in the case of Wood Elves, which reinforces my statement. Newcomers won't necessarily be buying game 1, if game 3 looks more fresh and interesting. The same thing happened with Warhammer 2 where people had it as their first Warhammer Total War game because they were interested in Elves who were two of the main factions and advertised heavily, or the other unique races they'd never seen in any other setting like Skaven.

    Also, considering that Chinese fans have been buying the Warhammer games a lot I don't see why they wouldn't choose to buy both. It essentially doubles CA's profits. There's always gonna be people in China who weren't interested in Warhammer because even if they like fantasy, it has nothing with a China equivalent, and once it's introduced they will be incentivized to drop cash on it.
    Already present landmass principle is there. Also a principle is that they only use units that already existed. Cathay? Not much of a program problem and ME is basically just extended game 1 campaign map so it isn't possible. Cathay assumes abandoning some principles so why not that one as well for a surprise?

    We'll just say we disagree on China market I guess. Given China equivalent versus China historical those who haven't bought fantasy will buy China historical, in my mind. No real proofs to give so a moot argument.
    How would Cathay not be a program problem? While Cathay assumes abandoning some principles, I'm pretty sure the engine doesn't handle adding additional landmasses very easily otherwise CA would use that to their advantage. It seems like they build the map from the start with whatever DLC they'll do simply fitting into the plan of the map, not the other way around.
    Really? Just obscure the **** map part until release. What would be the problem? Just make it inaccessible like new world and dark lands in game 1. Adding WE was exactly that.

    Or are you arguing against them? Because data leak doesn't show their part of map at all and CA said it's accurate so then there wouldn't be Cathay at all. And don't give me that "shrink Mountains of Mourn and Darklands" nonsense. The map doesn't even fully extend to **** Dragon Isles and Cathay is much further east then that.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • NateSMZNateSMZ Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    Isn't there a longer gap between games two and three than there was between games one and two?

    Hmm, wonder what they could be using that time for, after they said they had expanded their original plans...

    It's almost as if they may be making significant changes to the world map and creating content that takes more time than the already established formula of bringing tabletop factions to life.
  • TsiarTsiar Posts: 286Registered Users
    NateSMZ said:

    Isn't there a longer gap between games two and three than there was between games one and two?

    Hmm, wonder what they could be using that time for, after they said they had expanded their original plans...

    It's almost as if they may be making significant changes to the world map and creating content that takes more time than the already established formula of bringing tabletop factions to life.

    Or those that usually make up the Warhammer team are working on the several non-Warhammer products CA has, or frantically trying to fix ME.

    Also, "significant changes to the world map"? Correct me if I'm wrong but they outright said that the Russian datamined map was "pretty spot on", and it was. That map went (barely) to the Mountains of Mourn and a little bit north. I sincerely doubt they're gonna extend the map to Cathay.
  • NateSMZNateSMZ Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    It was pretty spot on for game two. They have made no comment regarding the datamine and game three.

    Warhammer was far more successful and lucrative than they projected. The only comment they've made regarding game three is that in light of the success of Warhammer, they have expanded their plans.

    Ergo, assuming that the delay means less personnel on the project would be a classic example of trying to twist the evidence to fit your theory, instead of building a theory from the available evidence. The reasonable assumption is that because they are expanding their plans from the original scope, they need more time.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,001Registered Users
    NateSMZ said:

    It was pretty spot on for game two. They have made no comment regarding the datamine and game three.

    Warhammer was far more successful and lucrative than they projected. The only comment they've made regarding game three is that in light of the success of Warhammer, they have expanded their plans.

    Ergo, assuming that the delay means less personnel on the project would be a classic example of trying to twist the evidence to fit your theory, instead of building a theory from the available evidence. The reasonable assumption is that because they are expanding their plans from the original scope, they need more time.

    Expanded how? Your assumption is as good as any. And more time because they have other projects that they need to market.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,199Registered Users
    Well, I have to admit, that when I was on the "No Cathay" side of the forum, I never acknowledged the "potential" units that are in the lore lines. My faith in "Only Tabletop Armies Admitted" started crumble when I saw Hyppogriph knights. Well, CA is doing historical, and we won't see any Warhammer for a long period, but what makes me optimist is the fact that are many "problems" regarding the core factions nature of game 3, and that by the time WH3 would be out, there will be new machines that will surely improve the game. So only time will tell.
  • TsiarTsiar Posts: 286Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    NateSMZ said:

    It was pretty spot on for game two. They have made no comment regarding the datamine and game three.

    Warhammer was far more successful and lucrative than they projected. The only comment they've made regarding game three is that in light of the success of Warhammer, they have expanded their plans.

    Ergo, assuming that the delay means less personnel on the project would be a classic example of trying to twist the evidence to fit your theory, instead of building a theory from the available evidence. The reasonable assumption is that because they are expanding their plans from the original scope, they need more time.

    "Expanded" can just as easily mean that pseudo factions like Norsca, with far more "meat on their bones" so to speak, are getting initially unplanned DLC. Or that they're just gonna make LLs than they initially thought.

    Look up the credits for Rome 2, Attila and Warhammer 1/2. Many, many of the devs worked on all three, and for Attila and TWW1 they're largely identical. CA themselves have stated that their staff move from projects as development ramps up or down. ToB and China are launching this year. Grace has also stated that development on TWW3 hasn't even started yet. Add the ME mess to this, which is apparently hard to fix, and I see no reason to believe they have the time, resources or motivation to expand the map all the way to Cathay.
  • NateSMZNateSMZ Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    Believe what you want. CA's statement on the matter follows common sense. The Warhammer IP is more profitable than they imagined and so they fully intend to realize that value as much as possible.

    Which means portions of the IP which they hadn't initially considered as potentially profitable, are now being considered. Which is probably where Norsca came from, and it's probably where Araby and Cathay will come into play.

    CA is a business, they want to make money. The more Warhammer content they produce, the more money they make. Given Three Kingdoms, they are clearly aware of the Chinese market. It's hard to think of a reason they wouldn't try to monetize that part of the IP. Unlike some of the other barely mentioned factions, Cathay has enough lore to form the foundation of a faction. The gift given in the original post demonstrates both the potential to flesh out the available lore, and the demand for such a product. CA would be foolish to not monetize it.
  • acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Posts: 332Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Tsiar said:

    NateSMZ said:

    It was pretty spot on for game two. They have made no comment regarding the datamine and game three.

    Warhammer was far more successful and lucrative than they projected. The only comment they've made regarding game three is that in light of the success of Warhammer, they have expanded their plans.

    Ergo, assuming that the delay means less personnel on the project would be a classic example of trying to twist the evidence to fit your theory, instead of building a theory from the available evidence. The reasonable assumption is that because they are expanding their plans from the original scope, they need more time.

    "Expanded" can just as easily mean that pseudo factions like Norsca, with far more "meat on their bones" so to speak, are getting initially unplanned DLC. Or that they're just gonna make LLs than they initially thought.

    Look up the credits for Rome 2, Attila and Warhammer 1/2. Many, many of the devs worked on all three, and for Attila and TWW1 they're largely identical. CA themselves have stated that their staff move from projects as development ramps up or down. ToB and China are launching this year. Grace has also stated that development on TWW3 hasn't even started yet. Add the ME mess to this, which is apparently hard to fix, and I see no reason to believe they have the time, resources or motivation to expand the map all the way to Cathay.
    It makes sense that TWW3 isn't in development now when they have two big titles coming up. Warhammer 2 for the most half of this year will still be getting DLC/FLCs.
  • acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Posts: 332Registered Users
    Even the Koreans are fans of total war.



    They're discussing potential Araby, Cathay and Nippon,
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,001Registered Users
    NateSMZ said:

    Believe what you want. CA's statement on the matter follows common sense. The Warhammer IP is more profitable than they imagined and so they fully intend to realize that value as much as possible.

    Which means portions of the IP which they hadn't initially considered as potentially profitable, are now being considered. Which is probably where Norsca came from, and it's probably where Araby and Cathay will come into play.

    CA is a business, they want to make money. The more Warhammer content they produce, the more money they make. Given Three Kingdoms, they are clearly aware of the Chinese market. It's hard to think of a reason they wouldn't try to monetize that part of the IP. Unlike some of the other barely mentioned factions, Cathay has enough lore to form the foundation of a faction. The gift given in the original post demonstrates both the potential to flesh out the available lore, and the demand for such a product. CA would be foolish to not monetize it.

    There's this company pulling the strings in the shadows I'd like you to meet. They killed a world once thinking it's a good business idea.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • mw51630mw51630 Member Posts: 1,593Registered Users
    Crossil said:

    NateSMZ said:

    Believe what you want. CA's statement on the matter follows common sense. The Warhammer IP is more profitable than they imagined and so they fully intend to realize that value as much as possible.

    Which means portions of the IP which they hadn't initially considered as potentially profitable, are now being considered. Which is probably where Norsca came from, and it's probably where Araby and Cathay will come into play.

    CA is a business, they want to make money. The more Warhammer content they produce, the more money they make. Given Three Kingdoms, they are clearly aware of the Chinese market. It's hard to think of a reason they wouldn't try to monetize that part of the IP. Unlike some of the other barely mentioned factions, Cathay has enough lore to form the foundation of a faction. The gift given in the original post demonstrates both the potential to flesh out the available lore, and the demand for such a product. CA would be foolish to not monetize it.

    There's this company pulling the strings in the shadows I'd like you to meet. They killed a world once thinking it's a good business idea.
    It kind of was, AoS now makes way more $ now that WFB did (you can check their financial statements).
  • ZilongZilong Junior Member Posts: 465Registered Users
    mw51630 said:



    It kind of was, AoS now makes way more $ now that WFB did (you can check their financial statements).

    As far as I've heard, not having actually played or purchased AoS, that newfound success may be more a result of better overall business practices than a better game.

    Many people speculate that WHFB could have been turned around without a world-ending apocalypse. We'll never know for sure since what's done is done.

    As for the topic, I certainly hope that Cathay somehow makes its way in game as a playable faction. That would galvanize my interest in game 3 as I've already gotten the other factions I'm interested in 1 and 2.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,001Registered Users
    mw51630 said:

    Crossil said:

    NateSMZ said:

    Believe what you want. CA's statement on the matter follows common sense. The Warhammer IP is more profitable than they imagined and so they fully intend to realize that value as much as possible.

    Which means portions of the IP which they hadn't initially considered as potentially profitable, are now being considered. Which is probably where Norsca came from, and it's probably where Araby and Cathay will come into play.

    CA is a business, they want to make money. The more Warhammer content they produce, the more money they make. Given Three Kingdoms, they are clearly aware of the Chinese market. It's hard to think of a reason they wouldn't try to monetize that part of the IP. Unlike some of the other barely mentioned factions, Cathay has enough lore to form the foundation of a faction. The gift given in the original post demonstrates both the potential to flesh out the available lore, and the demand for such a product. CA would be foolish to not monetize it.

    There's this company pulling the strings in the shadows I'd like you to meet. They killed a world once thinking it's a good business idea.
    It kind of was, AoS now makes way more $ now that WFB did (you can check their financial statements).
    Yeah, once they got the stick out of their arse and interacted with the fanbase. At first it didn't work that well.

    Just saying that these guys aren't best to look for business advice but they were allegedly getting better. If Cathay will arrive you'd need to run it past them.

    Here's the summary by /tg/:

    https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Games_Workshop

    Now I'm still hoping Cathay would come but these guys could be a problem in your "profit" analysis. Hopefully they don't find another stick.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Posts: 1,596Registered Users
    The result of.

    1. Better business practices. (Start Collecting!)
    2. Better customer interaction (They turned back on Facebook, and the Warhammer Community Site, and Youtube)
    3. Better outreach to Conventions.
    4. They actually put rules out so that the game wasnt a complete flaming DUMPSTER like AoS was on release.

    So yeah...they could have saved WFB.
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Posts: 1,710Registered Users
    Yeah an all chaos game 3 is a defo no buy either. Imagine how boring it will be. Needs to have at least two good factions on launch for me to consider it. Kisliev is not enough.
  • GalenHHHGalenHHH Junior Member Posts: 1,233Registered Users
    Gamgee said:

    Yeah an all chaos game 3 is a defo no buy either. Imagine how boring it will be. Needs to have at least two good factions on launch for me to consider it. Kisliev is not enough.

    Apparently 2 "lawfull stupid" human factions allready are not enough...
Sign In or Register to comment.