Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chinese community and Grand Cathay

Comments

• TalosXTalosX Junior Member Posts: 151Registered Users
    OP got a little ahead of himself. I am one of the TT players he mentions, and I have no interest in seeing Cathay make it into TWW! Having said that, I'm not going to vehemently oppose Cathay. CA would practically have to invent the faction from lore, and there's no where near enough lore to cover all the units they'd need to be viable. Considering that, the original OW factions are significantly more important in the lore and have fallen behind a serious power creep and stale mechanics. If Cathay were introduced before the OW factions get a proper update, I would consider that a major failing on CA's part.
  • GroomGroom Junior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    Stop quibbling, I have the solution

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,434Registered Users
    GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Yeah an all chaos game 3 is a defo no buy either. Imagine how boring it will be. Needs to have at least two good factions on launch for me to consider it. Kisliev is not enough.

Apparently 2 "lawfull stupid" human factions allready are not enough...
    Who would be the 2 Human factions?
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,918Registered Users

GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Yeah an all chaos game 3 is a defo no buy either. Imagine how boring it will be. Needs to have at least two good factions on launch for me to consider it. Kisliev is not enough.

I'm pretty sure he means Empire and Bretonnia and is talking about the whole trilogy over all. Apparently having 2 good human factions is plenty, 4 overrepresentation, yet 7 flavors of Chaos is the bare minimum (given stance in the DoC debate thread.) Surely an unbiased and objective position. Surely...
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • KronusXKronusX Posts: 1,361Registered Users
    Wyvax said:

GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

I'm pretty sure he means Empire and Bretonnia and is talking about the whole trilogy over all. Apparently having 2 good human factions is plenty, 4 overrepresentation, yet 7 flavors of Chaos is the bare minimum (given stance in the DoC debate thread.) Surely an unbiased and objective position. Surely...
    That honestly is a silly argument coming from the Chaos fans, especially since Empire was in base game, Bretonnia was an FLC. They are asking EVERYONE else to pay $60 for 4 sub-factions of the same crappy faction. I think it is a foreign concept the fact not everyone wants to pay $60 for 4 sub-factions. Imagine if they did a base game with Middenland, Empire, Kislev and Southern Princes for $60, I am curious how fast those chaos fans would jump to pay for it.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Posts: 1,596Registered Users
    Are you honestly saying Daemons (fact) Ogres (fact) and Chaos Dwarves (speculation) is not more important than Empire Provinces?
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,220Registered Users
    Compliment to the Chinese community and its representatives for the effort.

Thou I don't think that chances are good for them, base on the leak map for the complete campaign, which was largely correct for Mortal Empire. And hence likely stay correct for the combination of all 3 games.

That map has no room for cathy. I don't think CA would introduce cathy, if there aren't at least parts of it in the combine map.

On a side note:
    wasn't the Chinese community, justifiable, angry at CA/TW WH and review bomb it because of the transtlation?

Interesting that either things have come around or how split the community is.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • SudoKnightlyNonsenseSudoKnightlyNonsense Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    I'm not sure the Chinese Community would be a good addition to the TW Community, imagine how bad the spam threads will get if Cathay is added: they've already started up since Rot3K got announced. Then there's the vote bombing they did to TW: WH 1, which may or may not have effected sales for a time. Then we have this, a group of people trying to muscle in a faction with literally nothing to work with just because it's vaguely based on their nation: plus the fact that they would throw a fit if Cathay was not the single most overpowered faction in the game.

As for Cathay itself, it isn't like Norsca or even Araby: both of which had units or lore about their units. The closest thing we have to an idea about Cathay's armies is that they have Terracotta Warriors (very original), they might have a focus on Elemental magics (they sunk a Black Ark with it) and something along the lines of warrior monks maybe?

The one thing Cathay really has going for it is that they legally worship Tzeentch, they are a prosperous nation of Order... that worships the most chaotic of the Chaos Gods. If that was done properly, it could make them an interesting faction. However, I don't think CA should waste their time with Cathay, Ind or Nippon: they are literally less than background factions.
  • ZilongZilong Junior Member Posts: 465Registered Users

I'm not sure the Chinese Community would be a good addition to the TW Community, imagine how bad the spam threads will get if Cathay is added: they've already started up since Rot3K got announced. Then there's the vote bombing they did to TW: WH 1, which may or may not have effected sales for a time. Then we have this, a group of people trying to muscle in a faction with literally nothing to work with just because it's vaguely based on their nation: plus the fact that they would throw a fit if Cathay was not the single most overpowered faction in the game.

Uh, that's a weird thing to say since the Chinese gaming community represents a huge potential market which would, form a business perspective, be very silly to alienate. Not to mention spam comes in pretty much any language. I suspect there might be a bit of confirmation bias here.

As for the review bombing. It was fairly justified given the bait and switch they got when the promised localization did not materialize until much later.

Though i can't speak for everyone, it's not so much trying to force a faction into the game, but expressing the opinion that they would like to have it. No one is being held up at gun/knife point (I hope) and being forced to make a Cathay faction. It's the same as anyone else asking for a specific feature. Whether or not everyone agrees with the merit of the feature is up to debate. However, there is nothing wrong with asking for something we'd like to see. And no one that i have seen has said anything about making the faction OP.
  • Erwin99Erwin99 Posts: 185Registered Users
    Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

It amazes me how people are willing to settle for less content (no Cathay) "just because". It's as if they don't realize Warhammer 3 is gonna have a big chunk of it missing without Cathay, with only having Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, and blasted wasteland/mountains as a map. Kislev included as a good race would be cool, but having it as a main faction? Foolishness. There's 2 LLs max that they have, meaning there's no DLC potential there.

Expanding all the way to Cathay opens up DLC potential not otherwise available between Kislev and the Mountains of Mourn, such as the Hobgoblin Khanate as well as having other Warhammer 1 and 2 races show up like Dark Elves who raid Cathay, as well as high elf colonies.

There's SO much more variety if you include Cathay that I don't understand why people stick so doggedly to having just a tiny, uninteresting sliver of area such as the Darklands and Mountains of Mourn alone rather than as part of a larger map we can play on.

There's also the Chinese market to take into account, which is something CA clearly is aware of considering the announcement of Three Kingdoms as a tentpole title, and on top of that for old Warhammer fans you can present something entirely fresh and new that's never been seen before to hype up Warhammer 3 with, rather than 4 (5 including Chaos Dwarfs) flavours of chaos and ogres. And Kislev too, who are always being besieged by Chaos and never have gone outside of their starting area, unlike other races like Cathay.

Well Chaos is most popular aspect of Warhammer. 4 Chaos Gods duking it out with their own special armies would probably make them more happy then another human faction. We have Empire, Bretonnia, Norsca and WoC and will probably get Araby, Dogs of War and Kislev at that point. With DoC as one we'll need other races that CA will want to sell of which there's only Hobgoblin Khanate that's not human.

4 Daemons or just even more humans. Since we get humans in all other games I'd prefer daemons in this one.
    Yes, but that's one demographic of Warhammer fans. CA could just make a proper singular Daemon faction like DoC were on tabletop with the addition of chaos god specific chaos warrior units and people would be happy. Also, again, China is a big market. Having something that appeals to them in the finale of the trilogy would be far more likely to boost sales than extra demons. Also, while Chaos may have been most popular with Warhammer fans, people were complaining that there weren't enough human factions in Warhammer 2 or that it wasn't worth being a standalone game due to worries over lack of content before release. If Warhammer 3 has mostly just daemon factions/evil or neutral factions and one human "good" faction that's a minor one like Kislev shoved into the left side of the map, there'd definitely be less content and variety than Warhammer 2, resulting in worse marketability and thus worse sales. Besides, CA isn't just trying to appeal to just hardcore Warhammer fans here, they're trying to appeal to the average fantasy fan or strategy game player who don't even know what Warhammer is or who only got into Warhammer with the the previous two games, meaning variety and breadth of content is key.
    I'm not sure. I'd say most of those who dislike the fantasy already jumped ship and the Chinese will get 3K so overlap would make Cathay harder to sell compared to that one. Though I hope for Albion I'd be surprised due to Thrones coming out.

In my mind Cathay could only come as final DLC as a final salute to Warhammer. And even that is unlikely due to GW. CA is not in control. So 4 Chaos god armies can't be escaped in any way.
    Well, of course everyone who disliked Fantasy jumped ship. I didn't say they were marketing it to fans who swore off the series, they're marketing it to people who are "new" as in people new to Warhammer Fantasy who've bought the previous two total war games, and people who are on the fence, or straight up people who are new to strategy and who just enjoy Fantasy games. Also, I doubt having two Chinese-themes in two games (especially since Cathay is Chinese Fantasy while 3K is Chinese Historical, and Cathay would just be one faction) will cause oversaturation.

I can't imagine something as huge as Cathay being DLC, especially since in past experience CA only makes faction DLC for areas already on the map. So if anything, it makes more sense to have the area of Kislev except placeholder and then have them a DLC and have Cathay as a main faction.

I agree that 4 chaos factions are happening, but I think people overextend by saying it will ONLY be each gods units for that faction. I'm thinking it's more likely that there's 4 LLs, one for each god, and they each get reductions in upkeep and other bonuses for the units related to that god, but not outright stopping you from using other gods daemons for the sake of not restricting players.
    WE weren't on the map at start. You can expand map eastward later.

And yeah CA is not in control here. With GW pushing god specific armies on TT, I'm just saying....

As for those customers... most important ones are commited ones. Any newcomers will be taking up game 1 due to Empire and Bretonnia sooner then other two.

China or not-China? Maybe not saturated but when given choice they'd prefer a popular history don't you think? Chinese who like fantasy are probably already in while those who are not will prefer 3K.
    The area the Wood Elves were on WAS there, though, but just inaccessible. All faction DLC has only ever expanded the areas already on the map, like in the case of Wood Elves, which reinforces my statement. Newcomers won't necessarily be buying game 1, if game 3 looks more fresh and interesting. The same thing happened with Warhammer 2 where people had it as their first Warhammer Total War game because they were interested in Elves who were two of the main factions and advertised heavily, or the other unique races they'd never seen in any other setting like Skaven.

Also, considering that Chinese fans have been buying the Warhammer games a lot I don't see why they wouldn't choose to buy both. It essentially doubles CA's profits. There's always gonna be people in China who weren't interested in Warhammer because even if they like fantasy, it has nothing with a China equivalent, and once it's introduced they will be incentivized to drop cash on it.
    Already present landmass principle is there. Also a principle is that they only use units that already existed. Cathay? Not much of a program problem and ME is basically just extended game 1 campaign map so it isn't possible. Cathay assumes abandoning some principles so why not that one as well for a surprise?

We'll just say we disagree on China market I guess. Given China equivalent versus China historical those who haven't bought fantasy will buy China historical, in my mind. No real proofs to give so a moot argument.
    How would Cathay not be a program problem? While Cathay assumes abandoning some principles, I'm pretty sure the engine doesn't handle adding additional landmasses very easily otherwise CA would use that to their advantage. It seems like they build the map from the start with whatever DLC they'll do simply fitting into the plan of the map, not the other way around.
    Really? Just obscure the **** map part until release. What would be the problem? Just make it inaccessible like new world and dark lands in game 1. Adding WE was exactly that.

Or are you arguing against them? Because data leak doesn't show their part of map at all and CA said it's accurate so then there wouldn't be Cathay at all. And don't give me that "shrink Mountains of Mourn and Darklands" nonsense. The map doesn't even fully extend to **** Dragon Isles and Cathay is much further east then that.
    Wood Elves were right in the middle of the map, though. It's entirely different from adding a continent's worth of country off to the right side. Also, CA said the data leak was only accurate in regards to the Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires map, not to Warhammer 3. They've released no details on Warhammer 3, period. Also, I see no reason not to shrink the Mountains of Mourn and Darklands to add in other areas. Would much prefer that to a game filled with nothing but wasteland and mountains.
    GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Lawful stupid human factions? You mean Empire and Bretonnia? Lol, if you think they're lawful stupid, or that Kislev and Cathay are either, shows you're either highly misinformed or willingly ignorant.
    Surge_2 said:

The result of.

1. Better business practices. (Start Collecting!)
    2. Better customer interaction (They turned back on Facebook, and the Warhammer Community Site, and Youtube)
    3. Better outreach to Conventions.
    4. They actually put rules out so that the game wasnt a complete flaming DUMPSTER like AoS was on release.

So yeah...they could have saved WFB.

Darn right they could've saved WFB. The issue was not the lore, it was how GW handled the miniatures side of things that made WFB not sell well enough for their liking.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,434Registered Users
    Wyvax said:

GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Huh, I didn't think of that. You're right, only 2 human races. It's really not all that many when you think of it.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • BaronKlatzBaronKlatz Posts: 1,037Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Erwin99 said:

Surge_2 said:

The result of.

1. Better business practices. (Start Collecting!)
    2. Better customer interaction (They turned back on Facebook, and the Warhammer Community Site, and Youtube)
    3. Better outreach to Conventions.
    4. They actually put rules out so that the game wasnt a complete flaming DUMPSTER like AoS was on release.

So yeah...they could have saved WFB.

Darn right they could've saved WFB. The issue was not the lore, it was how GW handled the miniatures side of things that made WFB not sell well enough for their liking.
    I'd say so it wasn't selling enough. It was a confirmed 5% profits by insiders which was below their paints and brushes sells. This in a product that costs them millions a year for maintenance of their personal manufacturing system which is why their products are top-quality.

Kirby was it's ultimate killer by losing the monopoly they had for fantasy miniatures to the hordes of other rising companies out there post-6th edition.

It's been through Rountree's and GW's hard work after Kirby was dismissed that finally turned things around halfway through 2016 for AoS, 40k, LotR and began a skyrocket of profit's that's reportedly made them one of the UK's most successful companies in 2017.

(Nitpick on Surge's list though, Warhammer TV was a thing on YouTube well in 8th edition and it wasn't "rules" added it was points AoS needed. They went above and beyond the call though by using both community input and tournament teams to alter their rules for AoS instead of the in-house testing 40k got)
  • BaronKlatzBaronKlatz Posts: 1,037Registered Users
    edited January 2018
    Erwin99 said:

GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Lawful stupid human factions? You mean Empire and Bretonnia? Lol, if you think they're lawful stupid, or that Kislev and Cathay are either, shows you're either highly misinformed or willingly ignorant.
    That sounds more like a high elf thing to me.

Though sadly I think Bretonnia might border it. :p

Empire's way too chaotic to be considered that though with Kislev and Cathay certainly not really fitting as they do things for the sake of survival and advancement a lawful stupid type would raise eyebrows at.
    Post edited by BaronKlatz on
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 3,868Registered Users
    Much love to our Chinese fellow warhammer fans out there: keep up the pressure, so many of us want to see Cathay realised in some form.

GW dropped (went home with) the ball, I have so much more faith in CA to do the IP the justice it deserves.
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,263Registered Users
    edited January 2018

Erwin99 said:

GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Empire's way too chaotic to be considered that though with Kislev and Cathay certainly not really fitting as they do things for the sake of survival and advancement a lawful stupid type would raise eyebrows at.
    The only lawful stupid are lizardmens, following the Great Plan even if it lead to disasters. Lawful stupid to the point we've never heard of lizardmens mentally corrupted by Chaos.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,530Registered Users
    GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

Crossil said:

Erwin99 said:

It amazes me how people are willing to settle for less content (no Cathay) "just because". It's as if they don't realize Warhammer 3 is gonna have a big chunk of it missing without Cathay, with only having Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, and blasted wasteland/mountains as a map. Kislev included as a good race would be cool, but having it as a main faction? Foolishness. There's 2 LLs max that they have, meaning there's no DLC potential there.

Expanding all the way to Cathay opens up DLC potential not otherwise available between Kislev and the Mountains of Mourn, such as the Hobgoblin Khanate as well as having other Warhammer 1 and 2 races show up like Dark Elves who raid Cathay, as well as high elf colonies.

There's SO much more variety if you include Cathay that I don't understand why people stick so doggedly to having just a tiny, uninteresting sliver of area such as the Darklands and Mountains of Mourn alone rather than as part of a larger map we can play on.

There's also the Chinese market to take into account, which is something CA clearly is aware of considering the announcement of Three Kingdoms as a tentpole title, and on top of that for old Warhammer fans you can present something entirely fresh and new that's never been seen before to hype up Warhammer 3 with, rather than 4 (5 including Chaos Dwarfs) flavours of chaos and ogres. And Kislev too, who are always being besieged by Chaos and never have gone outside of their starting area, unlike other races like Cathay.

Well Chaos is most popular aspect of Warhammer. 4 Chaos Gods duking it out with their own special armies would probably make them more happy then another human faction. We have Empire, Bretonnia, Norsca and WoC and will probably get Araby, Dogs of War and Kislev at that point. With DoC as one we'll need other races that CA will want to sell of which there's only Hobgoblin Khanate that's not human.

4 Daemons or just even more humans. Since we get humans in all other games I'd prefer daemons in this one.
    Yes, but that's one demographic of Warhammer fans. CA could just make a proper singular Daemon faction like DoC were on tabletop with the addition of chaos god specific chaos warrior units and people would be happy. Also, again, China is a big market. Having something that appeals to them in the finale of the trilogy would be far more likely to boost sales than extra demons. Also, while Chaos may have been most popular with Warhammer fans, people were complaining that there weren't enough human factions in Warhammer 2 or that it wasn't worth being a standalone game due to worries over lack of content before release. If Warhammer 3 has mostly just daemon factions/evil or neutral factions and one human "good" faction that's a minor one like Kislev shoved into the left side of the map, there'd definitely be less content and variety than Warhammer 2, resulting in worse marketability and thus worse sales. Besides, CA isn't just trying to appeal to just hardcore Warhammer fans here, they're trying to appeal to the average fantasy fan or strategy game player who don't even know what Warhammer is or who only got into Warhammer with the the previous two games, meaning variety and breadth of content is key.
    I'm not sure. I'd say most of those who dislike the fantasy already jumped ship and the Chinese will get 3K so overlap would make Cathay harder to sell compared to that one. Though I hope for Albion I'd be surprised due to Thrones coming out.

In my mind Cathay could only come as final DLC as a final salute to Warhammer. And even that is unlikely due to GW. CA is not in control. So 4 Chaos god armies can't be escaped in any way.
    Well, of course everyone who disliked Fantasy jumped ship. I didn't say they were marketing it to fans who swore off the series, they're marketing it to people who are "new" as in people new to Warhammer Fantasy who've bought the previous two total war games, and people who are on the fence, or straight up people who are new to strategy and who just enjoy Fantasy games. Also, I doubt having two Chinese-themes in two games (especially since Cathay is Chinese Fantasy while 3K is Chinese Historical, and Cathay would just be one faction) will cause oversaturation.

I can't imagine something as huge as Cathay being DLC, especially since in past experience CA only makes faction DLC for areas already on the map. So if anything, it makes more sense to have the area of Kislev except placeholder and then have them a DLC and have Cathay as a main faction.

I agree that 4 chaos factions are happening, but I think people overextend by saying it will ONLY be each gods units for that faction. I'm thinking it's more likely that there's 4 LLs, one for each god, and they each get reductions in upkeep and other bonuses for the units related to that god, but not outright stopping you from using other gods daemons for the sake of not restricting players.
    WE weren't on the map at start. You can expand map eastward later.

And yeah CA is not in control here. With GW pushing god specific armies on TT, I'm just saying....

As for those customers... most important ones are commited ones. Any newcomers will be taking up game 1 due to Empire and Bretonnia sooner then other two.

China or not-China? Maybe not saturated but when given choice they'd prefer a popular history don't you think? Chinese who like fantasy are probably already in while those who are not will prefer 3K.
    The area the Wood Elves were on WAS there, though, but just inaccessible. All faction DLC has only ever expanded the areas already on the map, like in the case of Wood Elves, which reinforces my statement. Newcomers won't necessarily be buying game 1, if game 3 looks more fresh and interesting. The same thing happened with Warhammer 2 where people had it as their first Warhammer Total War game because they were interested in Elves who were two of the main factions and advertised heavily, or the other unique races they'd never seen in any other setting like Skaven.

Also, considering that Chinese fans have been buying the Warhammer games a lot I don't see why they wouldn't choose to buy both. It essentially doubles CA's profits. There's always gonna be people in China who weren't interested in Warhammer because even if they like fantasy, it has nothing with a China equivalent, and once it's introduced they will be incentivized to drop cash on it.
    Already present landmass principle is there. Also a principle is that they only use units that already existed. Cathay? Not much of a program problem and ME is basically just extended game 1 campaign map so it isn't possible. Cathay assumes abandoning some principles so why not that one as well for a surprise?

We'll just say we disagree on China market I guess. Given China equivalent versus China historical those who haven't bought fantasy will buy China historical, in my mind. No real proofs to give so a moot argument.
    How would Cathay not be a program problem? While Cathay assumes abandoning some principles, I'm pretty sure the engine doesn't handle adding additional landmasses very easily otherwise CA would use that to their advantage. It seems like they build the map from the start with whatever DLC they'll do simply fitting into the plan of the map, not the other way around.
    Really? Just obscure the **** map part until release. What would be the problem? Just make it inaccessible like new world and dark lands in game 1. Adding WE was exactly that.

Or are you arguing against them? Because data leak doesn't show their part of map at all and CA said it's accurate so then there wouldn't be Cathay at all. And don't give me that "shrink Mountains of Mourn and Darklands" nonsense. The map doesn't even fully extend to **** Dragon Isles and Cathay is much further east then that.
    Wood Elves were right in the middle of the map, though. It's entirely different from adding a continent's worth of country off to the right side. Also, CA said the data leak was only accurate in regards to the Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires map, not to Warhammer 3. They've released no details on Warhammer 3, period. Also, I see no reason not to shrink the Mountains of Mourn and Darklands to add in other areas. Would much prefer that to a game filled with nothing but wasteland and mountains.
    In case they port the map: Game 2 map is just an extension of game 1 map, literally ported over. Unless they make an entirely new map they couldn't add Cathay at all as you point out. IF they can't just add new parts.

In case they do make new map: In the middle or the edge, if it's there already but inaccessible it doesn't matter where it is. It would be "revealing" in both cases, not adding. look how southlands were in game 1.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Posts: 1,596Registered Users
    *looks at the North East blank section of the map*

Hmm, wonder what thats for.
  • IcysmoothIcysmooth Posts: 97Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

The Cathay and the DLC banner were gifts from the Chinese fans (as Cathay is the WH equivalent of China). They're not made or officially endorsed by us and nothing to do with our future DLC plans.

Well thats the firmest NO Ive ever seen from CA on any WH series speculations.

Fine, dont take our money. :p
    edited January 2018

Sure, CA could totally ignore the Wastes between the Mountains and Cathay like in the outdated map you've found. Or they could do the more loreful, more economic thing of leaving Cathay in it's correct, distant place. There is no strong reason for Cathay to be present in any form. Merely the wishes of part of the Community. Given how much of Naggaroth and Lustria was lost in Mortal Empires, I have no expectation of Warhammer III extending beyond the Ogre Kingdoms.

I would have to agree. Between the above Grace_CA quote and their completely underwhelming "Massively expanded plans for WH" which meant Norsca delayed by 1 year and exact same ME map from the ORIGINAL Russian dataleak (zero changes) I would hold like >5% hope for anything like Cathay or even Amazons.

Theyre terrified of turn times so much they cut off Lustria and Southlands... so... :/

Which is quite unfortunate as from a purely financial perspective Cathay and Ind could be very successful sales as DLCs. IE The wishes of the Community = sales if anyone has figured that out yet. Same for the rookie WHTW players who just like the content and dont care about the 40 year old tabletop hardcore crowd, which is the minority. The community interest is there. The content is there, if scattered. As a certain pile of garbage would say...

SAD! :D
  • Omega_WarriorOmega_Warrior Posts: 781Registered Users
    Icysmooth said:

Grace_CA said:

The Cathay and the DLC banner were gifts from the Chinese fans (as Cathay is the WH equivalent of China). They're not made or officially endorsed by us and nothing to do with our future DLC plans.

• acroguePatrickacroguePatrick Posts: 332Registered Users

Much love to our Chinese fellow warhammer fans out there: keep up the pressure, so many of us want to see Cathay realised in some form.

GW dropped (went home with) the ball, I have so much more faith in CA to do the IP the justice it deserves.

Exactly.
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,918Registered Users
    Wargol5 said:

Erwin99 said:

GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

The only lawful stupid are lizardmens, following the Great Plan even if it lead to disasters. Lawful stupid to the point we've never heard of lizardmens mentally corrupted by Chaos.
    Typical simplistic thinking of a short-sighted warmblood. You are in violation of the Great Plan.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • SudoKnightlyNonsenseSudoKnightlyNonsense Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    Wargol5 said:

Erwin99 said:

GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Actually, there was a Slaan corrupted by Chaos: it's also hinted that the reason Slaan sleep for so log is due to the corrupting influence of Chaos.

Icysmooth said:

Grace_CA said:

Icysmooth said:

Sure, CA could totally ignore the Wastes between the Mountains and Cathay like in the outdated map you've found. Or they could do the more loreful, more economic thing of leaving Cathay in it's correct, distant place. There is no strong reason for Cathay to be present in any form. Merely the wishes of part of the Community. Given how much of Naggaroth and Lustria was lost in Mortal Empires, I have no expectation of Warhammer III extending beyond the Ogre Kingdoms.

I would have to agree. Between the above Grace_CA quote and their completely underwhelming "Massively expanded plans for WH" which meant Norsca delayed by 1 year and exact same ME map from the ORIGINAL Russian dataleak (zero changes) I would hold like >5% hope for anything like Cathay or even Amazons.

Theyre terrified of turn times so much they cut off Lustria and Southlands... so... :/
    Second comment stands.

• DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 5,822Registered Users

As for Cathay itself, it isn't like Norsca or even Araby: both of which had units or lore about their units. The closest thing we have to an idea about Cathay's armies is that they have Terracotta Warriors (very original), they might have a focus on Elemental magics (they sunk a Black Ark with it) and something along the lines of warrior monks maybe?

We know quite a bit, actually. Not enough to make a full list without some extrapolation, but there's solid basis for about a dozen units (not including characters) and we have indications of what at least some of their magic looks like from official sources. Mostly Tamurkhan.
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,263Registered Users
    edited January 2018

Wargol5 said:

Erwin99 said:

GalenHHH said:

Gamgee said:

Actually, there was a Slaan corrupted by Chaos: it's also hinted that the reason Slaan sleep for so log is due to the corrupting influence of Chaos.
    I know, when i say "mentally corrupted", it means "voluntary join the chaos factions".
  • Shomy9342Shomy9342 Posts: 340Registered Users
    edited January 2018

[email protected]

Second comment stands.

What is there in cutoff parts of Southlands and Lustria that makes dlc race? If they want to make Amazons they are up in Temple of Kara, Vampire Coast is in ME as well. East on the other hand has Cathay, Ind and Nippon while Southlands has noting that makes new dlc race (Native African like humans and so). So you can look as if they want to make room for whats in the east and that's why they cut south and some of Lustria because there is nothing there to make a new dlc race and like you said will extra hold end turn.
  • NailobmcNailobmc Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hi everyone. I am the Chinese fan holding the map. We have always been thinking what kind of Chinese-styled gifts CA and GW might like ever since we are invited to visit their studio. As a 14 years table top fan I could not think of anything better than a fan-made Grand Cathay map. Just for fun! :p :p :p