Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Crashes during battles in Total Warhammer 2

brennanshanejbrennanshanej Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi I am about 100 turns into my Lothern campaign and am suddenly experiencing crashes during nearly all battles. I have no mods installed. The game suddenly crashes with a message the Total Warhammer 2 has stopped working. I have uninstalled my graphics driver and reinstalled it but that has not helped. Total Warhammer has access through my firewall.

I simply begin a battle and about 5 minutes into it the game stops and the message appears. I am only experiencing these problems in the single player campaign as I do not have any multiplayer saves.

Please see attached for the relevant information.
Tagged:

Comments

• HundelabbHundelabb Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited January 2018
    I have the exact same problem, game crashes during battles with the same error message. The problem started after i added sun/moon dragons to my armies. A battle that crashed every time i tried it with dragons in my army didn't crash if i disbanded my two dragons before the battle started (this may or may not be a coincidence, only tried the battle once without the dragons).

Anyway, I have verified game files and tried lowering graphics settings. Game crashed both in quest battle with Tyrion and the quicksave battle (the quicksave battle didn't crash when i disbanded my dragons).

Game version v1.3.0
    Build 6014.1273082

Edit: I *think* the crashes occured when I was giving orders to said dragons - although I'm not sure, everything (including dragons) works for a few minutes after the battle starts. Will check this tomorrow.
    Post edited by Hundelabb on
  • brennanshanejbrennanshanej Registered Users Posts: 3
    Oh yeah forget to put build on my post:

Build 6014.1273082

Game version v1.3.0
  • steam_164508843314NMrFoqIsteam_164508843314NMrFoqI Registered Users Posts: 2
    Same here. It seems to be related at battle during campaign, as custome battle works well for me. Also, the crash I experienced are always against HE (playing DE), it may be a coincidence but who knows.
  • AlzeersAlzeers Registered Users Posts: 1
    Same issue. Working fine until something broke the game. I just got it a week ago and now it is unplayable. I do not have the new TK add-on. No mods. Graphic drivers up-to-date. Same build and version as other noted above. Might have something to do with dragons, as is it seems like as soon as they start flying over the enemy the game crashes. If I leave them out of the fray for a while, no crash. I'm not using any of their skills at that point, so maybe it is their fear affect. May just be a coincidence., as another time it crash immediately when I used Tyrions "Surfang" effect (dragons were overhead at the time).
  • EldrenEldren Registered Users Posts: 10
    This started happening to me as well after the TK update and I have isolated the cause to be related to High Elves Sun Dragons and Moon Dragons. It seems to trigger when flying the dragons over other units and/or performing an action such as charging or using a breath attack (or casting a spell if you're using the Dragon Mage of Caledor mod but regular non-ridden dragons also trigger the crashes). I AM using mods but OP experienced the same thing without any mods installed so I don't think that's the cause.

• JacabonJacabon Registered Users Posts: 8
    I am getting the crash when I kill a routing black dragon.
  • Locket757Locket757 Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Same issues as above windows says warhammer 2 has stopped working, happening post Tomb Kings purchase and install, eye of the vortex campaign started before DLC install

Build: 6014.1273082 v1.3.0

Description/reproduction: Happened 5 times in battles during a Lothern campaign so far, first 3 times in one battle (managed to complete following 3rd crash) then 4/5th instance during a second battle. Armies contained moon dragons both occurrences, it is unclear if as has been suggested the dragons are causing my issue, at least 2 of my crashes triggered when I pressed the 'P' key to pause the game, could possibly have been the trigger for all the games. Both battles were fighting against other high elf armies. I haven't attempted a battle with no dragons so I can't confirm if this is a factor. I did verify my game files after the first 3 crashes, one file was patched, following this I completed the battle without issue, this post is taking place after the new crash in a separate battle (all crashes seem to occur early during the first skirmishes)

For whatever reason a minidump isn't showing up in my appdata

Edit: Started a Tomb Kings campaign, no crashes during several battles, definitely seems to be High Elf/Dragon issue
    Post edited by Locket757 on
  • dhmunseydhmunsey Registered Users Posts: 1
    I am also having this issue consistently. The two things that seem to drive it are 1) the longer the battle (I cannot complete the final battle as high elves without crashing, just takes too long). Also, the size of the battle. Small battles never seem to crash. Lastly, I notice when I kill an enemy commander it often immediately triggers the crash.
  • KosiganKosigan Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited January 2018
    I solved all my recent battle crashes in TW2 by reverting to my previous motherboard BIOS, which disabled the Intel security patch released this month. Might also be able to do it by uninstalling Microsoft KB4056892.

I also downloaded the latest DirectX Runtime libraries .

Hope this info helps.
    edited January 2018
    Locket757 said:

at least 2 of my crashes triggered when I pressed the 'P' key to pause the game, could possibly have been the trigger for all the games.

I have also observed pausing to be a triggering cause in addition to Sun/Moon dragons.

Definitely seems like pause is a problem, the battles that crashed for me previously worked fine now that I tried them without pausing - even with dragons. Trying the same battle but pausing when the dragons are breathing fire will crash the game.
    Kosigan said:

I solved all my recent battle crashes in TW2 by reverting to my previous motherboard BIOS, which disabled the Intel security patch released this month. Might also be able to do it by uninstalling Microsoft KB4056892.

I also downloaded the latest DirectX Runtime libraries .

Uninstalling KB4056892 didn't work for me and I ain't touching my BIOS settings.
    Hundelabb said:

Definitely seems like pause is a problem, the battles that crashed for me previously worked fine now that I tried them without pausing - even with dragons. Trying the same battle but pausing when the dragons are breathing fire will crash the game.

Yeah, I've tested and confirmed the same thing in Custom Battles. Although pausing is definitely not the sole trigger because I can pause & play to my heart's content without any crashes IF there aren't any dragons around.

CA plz respond

:p
  • CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative Assembly Registered Users Posts: 1,016
    Hi @Eldren ,

In order to help you we need to see some information about your system. Can you please follow the format on this link and provide the required information? https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/202015/please-read-if-you-experience-a-crash-hang-freeze#latest

Thanks,
    CA_Matt
    FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited February 2018

Hi @Eldren ,

In order to help you we need to see some information about your system. Can you please follow the format on this link and provide the required information? https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/202015/please-read-if-you-experience-a-crash-hang-freeze#latest

Thanks,
    CA_Matt

Hi Matt,

I'll see what I can do about the necessary files but my problem is identical to what has been described in these threads and they contain those files along with what they've tried to try to fix the problem with no success:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/213432/warhammer-2-tomb-kings-in-battle-crash

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/213325/crash-during-battles-when-resuming-from-pause#latest

Investigating the threads I've linked above will help diagnose the problem. There are other threads about the same problem but I've linked the most helpful and relevant ones. I'm also an Intel + Nvidia user (i7 4790K + GTX 970).

I've done some testing in Custom Battle to reproduce the crashes and pinpoint the exact conditions/triggers and found that:

1. You specifically need Sun Dragons or Moon Dragons in the battle, no other dragon type will cause crashes on their own. (Star Dragons from the same faction or Black/Forest/Zombie/Chaos dragons won't trigger any crashes on their own). They can trigger a crash both as solo monsters or as character mounts (it doesn't make a difference).

2. You must pause the game while the S/M dragons are in view and are doing "something" like flying over a unit, charging or breathing fire and the crash will *always* occur after resuming the game.
  • frearfrear Registered Users Posts: 6
    Seeing the same issue as the above. I've had several crashes since the latest update (never had any before). All of them involved fighting against DE or HE armies with dragons.
  • imperialcatimperialcat Registered Users Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. When I fighting against armies with dragons using HE in a battle,if I press "P" to stop the game,the crash will occur after resuming the game with a high probability.In my occasion,It always happens in campaign.I'm using win10 with E3 1230V3 + Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB,and I don't installed any mods.
  • Lark_SoulsLark_Souls Registered Users Posts: 3
    Same. Battles where I deploy moon dragons crash all the time. :(
  • Dave345Dave345 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Same, campaign only seemingly, not playing as a race with dragons but any and all battles against Dark Elf armies with their mounted generals or black dragons are extremely likely to crash, sometimes looking away seems to help (might be placebo...) Any battle involving Malekith seems super likely to crash when he's KO'ed from his dragon mount.
  • RahdamRahdam Registered Users Posts: 1
    Same here ! Killing a Black Dragon during the final mission of the Vortex Campain with Skaven (Highly Difficult) makes the game crash. And it' s not the fist time
  • ElViejoByteElViejoByte Registered Users Posts: 2
    Same here, the same triggers of the crash: Pause/resume - dragons.

And this problem come to me after the last game update.
    I already wasted hours and hours, reinstalling the game, reinstalling drivers, updating Windows, contacting support and nothing is working. I think is time to CA to tell us what is happening and if they are working on this.
  • bawserbawser Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited February 2018
    same problem here it came with the update before the tomb kings

crashes during battles both campaign and custom please fix this I love this game

My Rig

GTX1070
    intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK CPU @2.70GHz
    32GB RAM
    Post edited by bawser on
  • fly16fly16 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    I also have a crash problem when in battles with my moon dragons. i suspect there's an issue with dragon animation mechanism, as the game always crashes when camera is focused on dragon moves. battles without dragons won't crash at all
  • PickyBooPickyBoo Registered Users Posts: 2
    Same issue here. Making the game unplayable for campaign late game.

4670K w/ GTX 1080 16gb ram
  • SigmatusSigmatus Registered Users Posts: 8
    Same here.

No dragons involved, but crashing playing as Dark Elves vs High Elves every time.
    Everything is up-to-date. 4820k i7 / 780 Ti, 16gb RAM

However, I do have Morathi on a flying mount. I am not pausing during the battle.

I'm running a lower agent cap, fewer effects mod, and better camera mod. I've tested with/without mods and it still results in a crash.
  • MrMistyseaMrMistysea Registered Users Posts: 1
    Same here.

Problem started when I started using moon dragons (I don't think it crashed my first battle when I didn't use dragon breath though). It crashes every battle, even in a custom battle with just one dragon against one missile cavalery, using dragon breath.

I'm eagerly awating a fix for this so I can continue my campaign. I won't touch the game until then.

I think CA should have enough info by now (let me know otherwise).

And like somebody else said, it would be nice if CA could at least tell us that they're working on the problem.
    edited February 2018
    This is not a fix, but I can play battles if i don't give orders to dragons when the game is paused, so I can pause the game and play normally when I don't give orders to said dragons (I can give orders to everything else).

Then I lower the speed of the game, instead of pausing, if necessary when giving orders to dragons (like using dragon breath or telling them to move to another location). It's far from perfect, but at least it's playable.

Edit: Never mind, game still crashes at times when resuming from pause even when not giving orders to dragons but they are engaged in combat.
    Post edited by Hundelabb on
  • DrahlDrahl Registered Users Posts: 23
    Hundelabb said:

This is not a fix, but I can play battles if i don't give orders to dragons when the game is paused, so I can pause the game and play normally when I don't give orders to said dragons (I can give orders to everything else).

Then I lower the speed of the game, instead of pausing, if necessary when giving orders to dragons (like using dragon breath or telling them to move to another location). It's far from perfect, but at least it's playable.

Edit: Never mind, game still crashes at times when resuming from pause even when not giving orders to dragons but they are engaged in combat.

Yeah many of us are experiencing this crash even if we dont have dragons in our army. Instead, if the enemy army has a dragon, and it's engaged in combat, the game will crash when resuming from pause.
  • NekrathNekrath Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    Crashing also randomly after a few mins of playing, wether its on the Campaign Map or during Turn or Battles..

Have to say that ive had only reskin mods activated and then de-activated them, going through the step of what was mentioned on a help guide, i.e. deleting the specified Steam folder under steamapp, then common then go to WH2 folder and then to Data and delete that file.. then in steam verifie files so it can download missing files and see what happens when download is finished, just a shame if it is the reskin mods..

Hope that will solve the posible random crash problem for me, not sure if anyone here has mods or had them activated, might be your main problem ;-(
  • Marduk1813Marduk1813 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Same issue here as reported. Game is crashing when I kill Malekith on his Black Dragon in Teclis quest battle. Running a **** of mods though, but seems to be a vanilla issue, since people without mods reporting it , too.
  • NekrathNekrath Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited February 2018
    Well I dont think its just Dragons, playing Settra Vortex Campaign and get crashes thier so..

All i can say is that i had very little if any at all any crashes until I had the reskin mods added, so now thier out and done what I mentioned above, I will see if its due to the Mods or not..

Going to check in the next few ours after bed...

Was and is very fustrating to have played today for several Hours, only to crash every few mins with a pop up saying (Warhammer2 has stoped Functioning) or something like that.. and having to reply the same battle several times, as Autoresolve would have been to costly in Terms of losses compared to practicly none when I play them right..

But as said, from the 2th until the 4th when i played I had'nt had any crashes realy except for a test game with reloading saves alot.. but after I put on the reskin mods on the 6th, nothing but missery.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file