Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New Faction DLC - Albion

BRiiTASH2BRiiTASH2 Registered Users Posts: 586
edited September 2018 in General Discussion
I JUST WANTED TO BUMP THIS 8 MONTH OLD THREAD OF MINE TO TELL YOU ALL THAT YOU SHOULD'VE BELEIVED ME WHEN I SAID ALBION IS COMING. ITS MORE LIKELY THAN EVER AND I JUST WANTED TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO GLOAT.

Ever since hearing about the New World being the setting for Warhammer 2 and subsiquently reading into the lore and backstory surrounding the time period of the first chaos invasion and great vortexs inception, I have been brainstorming different scenarios in which certain factions might be introduced which arent already explicitly present in the game as present.
Im not reffering to factions such as the vampire coast who function as an NPC faction and for whom there is justifiably a large amount of support for being introduced as a playable faction.
Im reffering to factions who have no presence whatsoever despite their prospective territories being held by "other factions" who at best can be considered placeholders and have no real claim to these territories if you look into the Warhammer Lore.
These undoubtly include factions such as Araby, until recently the Tomb Kings, the Dogs of War, the Amazonians and most notably in my opinion Albion.

Now i know Albion isnt regarded as the most exciting faction is Warhammer and probably isnt even on most peoples lists as a faction they'd like to see implemented before some of the forementioned more notable factions, however I have reason to beleive that CA has them in the works as an intended DLC faction in the near future for game 2.
I dont beleive they will arrive as a FLC like Brettonnia did, I beleive that might be reserved for Araby or the Dogs of War depending upon which is the most popularly requested as I dont beleive having both of those significant factions kept behind a paywall would be a popular decision amongst the community.
Instead I think Albion may be amongst the next Paid DLC's to be released. My reasoning for this is based upon various factors that I will now explain in greater detail.

SKAELING HOLDS ALBION

The first reason is that Skaeling currently inhabit Albion which to me is unusual as Albion is reknowned for its ability to fight off invaders and has a long history of fighting Northern Tribes and chaos. It seems as though Skaeling is a placeholder for Albion much like how the Strigoi Empire and such inhabited the Tomb Kings territories. The island itself looks as though it could be expandes upon eastwards aswell should CA decide to incorporate it into the game as a full faction.

NEIGHBOURING FACTIONS SHIELD ICON

When you examine the shield icon for the neighbouring factions of Aghol, Mung, Skeggi, they all bear the same shape shield despite not all being northmen tribes. I assume this i to refference them being barabrian type factions and I beleive this may hint to us the type of faction that we could expect to replace them. With Albion being a celtic/barbarian themed race, I can see them being a suitable fit to replace these factions in these territories or directly compete with them early game for territory.

TOMB KING FACTION MECHANICS

With the release of the Tomb Kings and their campaign being independent of the Vortex itself, I beleive we could possibly see a campaign for Albion that is related to but not centred around the Vortex. Everybody knows about the role the Truthsayers played in erecting the Waystones that helped absorb much of the chaos energy early on into the creation of the vortex that was crucial in the high elves plan working whether they were aware of the truthsayers plans or not.
I beleive that we may see a campaign based around these waystones, as the emergence of dark emmissaries bringing agents of chaos to albion to help them destroy the waystones to destabalise the vortex was featured in a book.
Another key part of an albion campaign could revolve around something i read about albion sending out heroes and scouting parties in search of powerful lost artifacts to bring back to the island, which could provide us with the opportunity for some unique starting positions outside of the island itself.

We may find various LL within Albion itself trying to protect it from aggressive invaders who are trying to raze settlements thus destroying the waystones or spread chaos corruption throughout albion much like Tyrion defending the Ulthuan, and other Lords out searching for powerful artifacts from the age of the Old Ones to help strengthen Albion and aid in restabilizing the vortex outside of ulthuan itself.

I think this would add an interest mix to the New World, as the High Elves have some what descent relations with albion however because of past wars with the lizardmen following the lizardmens attempts to purge albion of the men inhabiting it, both are opnenly hostile i beleive now.

It would be interesting to see how two remnants of the Old ones great plan would interact on the map when each is at war with eachother, at least at the start of the campaign maybe.
Post edited by BRiiTASH2 on

Comments

• TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Registered Users Posts: 1,211
    Another Albion thread. Great... sigh.
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 2,464
    Saw an event of the TKs mentioning amazons therefore amazons will be next DLC.

Logic OP
  • Bies#4376Bies#4376 Junior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 5,725
    Rather FLC ;)

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,267
    OK, thats it. I try the education thing again.

But don't take my word for it. Despite the failure from game#1 which is also still fresh in Old World ME (and hopefully gets corrected some future day), CA had corrected themselves for game#2 stuff.

So
    • Warriors of Chaos
    • Beastmen
    • Wood Elves
    • Bretonnia
    • Norsca
    • Tomb Kings
    are NOT faction DLCs, they are race DLCs. A new race which brings a bundle of factions for that race into the game.

The only thing we have that could be considered "faction DLC" would be the rival DLCs (Grim & Grave; King & Warlord) since they brought a new LL with his faction, which then replaced a placeholder faction of the same race somewhere already on the map. The FLC split for the Von Carstein faction would be a FLC example of that.

After that is said: Albion NEVER was a race. There is no armybook, not even a single armylist. No mighty special characters. They have not even real cities. Most savages on that god forsaken island do not even know hot to make steel weapons. The civilisation there if you want to call it that, are some tribes of backward savages living in caves or some small villages. Albion is no powerplayer on the worldstage, with a solid unified military and a capital city worthy of the name.
    And everyone now pointing to the Albion campaign, yeah basicly EVERY other race invades Albion and tries to gain something there. Treasures, a proper fight, new land for colonies, a staging ground for a new Ulthuan invasion route...that campaign never had the natives pitting against the invaders. It was just the invaders against the invaders. And you could hire a mercenary Truthsayer or Dark Emmissary for your race to get some new magic support. If you wanted, they certainly were not necessary. I rather hired three Goblin shamans for my Goblin army then one of those dingdongs.

For TT "Albion campaign" to happen in TWW, we probably need a narrative campaign map which makes Albion BIGGER. Kinda like Athel Loren has a sweet narrative campaign map, instead of the shrunken forest you have on the Old World campaign map or ME. But since nobody besides a selected few want narrative mini campaigns and CA already pushed them out of race DLCs....
    Which brings the next main problem to the table: That smudge of an island can't properly house more then a single small province on the TWW map. So for Gorks sake just look at it

Norsca had plenty of landmass and provinces. There was place for several factions and you could pick where you place the 2 LLs. And right nearby you have smudge Island which barely has place for a single faction. And that island will probably not grow three sizes because Xmas draws near, so the ME map is stuck with that. And it really is not that much bigger on Vortex so dead in the water there too.

------Red Dox
  • BaronKlatz#7357BaronKlatz#7357 Registered Users Posts: 1,069
    "OK, thats it. I try the education thing again."

Haha, you put way too much work into that with the fact we will be seeing more of these threads again in about a month(being generous here) to take this one's place. :p

I think the first pic and a brief summary should have covered this.

• B1ing3rmanB1ing3rman Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 357
    With the great quantity of official factions to be done yet, minors: Vampire coast, Tilea, Estalia, Kislev, Araby... Old factions to be revamped: Empire, Greenskins... I don´t know how there is people asking for Albion. Even Ind and Cathay are more interesting that Albion.

CA don´t do Albion, a lot of people would not buy it! Fix more important things first please.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,515
    Nevermind how Albion would fit in as a race, we need to first deal with the problem that Albion is a tiny settlement island.

Now having said THAT, a way more unlikely idea solves that problem- an Albion minicampaign DLC. Personally I think that alone is worth trying.

But then that gets into the problem that there really isn't a whole lot of armybook stuff that could constitute a faction...let alone a whole race. They can make it all up like they did with Alistair sure, but then the next problem is demand for such an idea.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • BaronKlatz#7357BaronKlatz#7357 Registered Users Posts: 1,069
    It's stuff like this that would make DoW really shine.

Want Albion troops? Conquer Albion for some special giants and warriors. Need the coast of Lustria raided? Sartosa is calling for you. Having problems with powerful enemies? Head east and hire on Man-eaters and Nippon/Cathayan warriors to even the odds with their deadly arts.
  • petertel123#3826petertel123#3826 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,041
    We'd be extremely lucky to even get Araby or TEB at this point, Albion/Amazons/Vampire Coast are not gonna happen.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    Eh, when looking at the lands that could be considered separate entities Albion ends up being the biggest one that's under someone that doesn't rule it in the lore. Assuming of course we get Araby and TEB. That is a significant factor for me why they should be added.

Of course most of an army for them would have to be basic stuff but there are monstrous units in the lore that could be added. Also they can make Giants of Albion play a significant part in the army, which they could as they're not as mindless as the other giants.

One settlement is all I need to rule the world. As for the AI Albion make it isolationist like the Wood Elves with a couple stacks defending the island.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • FerdiadLivesFerdiadLives Registered Users Posts: 214
    edited January 2018

With the great quantity of official factions to be done yet, minors: Vampire coast, Tilea, Estalia, Kislev, Araby... Old factions to be revamped: Empire, Greenskins... I don´t know how there is people asking for Albion. Even Ind and Cathay are more interesting that Albion.

CA don´t do Albion, a lot of people would not buy it! Fix more important things first please.

It should be obvious people have different tastes, so that is how there are people asking for it. I personally find albion more alluring than Cathay or individual because I love anything celtic. Also CA will make whatever dlc they wish.
  • epic_159738407532WjML0C1epic_159738407532WjML0C1 Registered Users Posts: 57
    I personally support the idea of ​​Albion as a fraction of the Dogs of War. Only this faction will have some or its small features. We have already seen this in green-skinned (Skarsnik and a little that crazy Prophet), dwarves (Belegaar) and in the last DLC (Arkhan). It seems to me that the factions of the dogs will have the base units of Tilei, and the rest as mercenaries for a lot of money. In the case of Albon, he can have a couple of new units as base, the soldiers of Tilea as mercenaries. In the same way, we can get the Amazon. To make Albion a separate race, most likely no one will. The materials are too small. But as a separate faction in the Psalms of the war, he will do.
  • SongzordSongzord Registered Users Posts: 78
    I would like to see a separate series of games by Warhammer Total War about the conflicts that books were devoted to.

Total War Varhammer Saga: Albion.

Races:
    1) the lizardmen
    2) Dark Elves
    3) the empire
    5) chaos + dark emissaries
    6) local aborigines (druids, barbarians, giants)

• CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 105
    It really was a masterful bit of trolling on GW's part to make the WH version of Britain a completely unimportant, irrelevant backwater full of primitives with absolutely no influence over anything ever, and who are never really fleshed out at all beyond some vague stereotypes. And still people want to see them in the game anyway cause Britain.
  • RiddlebickRiddlebick Registered Users Posts: 254
    A race only comprising one faction would be a race and faction dlc simultaneously.
    Mind=blown
    :#
  • obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,686
    would be cool
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• ZerglesZergles Member Registered Users Posts: 3,014
    There is a fanmade, GW backed armybook for Albion.

Just sayin'
  • FinishingLast#1402FinishingLast#1402 Registered Users Posts: 4,856
    @Red_Dox Why are you so confident that the Albion race will be a faction DLC as a new race faction? Is it just because of how much you love them?
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."
  • epic_159738407532WjML0C1epic_159738407532WjML0C1 Registered Users Posts: 57

@Red_Dox Why are you so confident that the Albion race will be a faction DLC as a new race faction? Is it just because of how much you love them?

All races have subfractions. Albion does not have them. About them less information than about the eastern countries. Albion is too passive to have a monolithic LL in different parts of the world, and if the island itself is to be made, it must be greatly expanded. The map itself will not be expanded to the east due to technical features. They can only remake what is, but if so do it will become too crowded on the vortex map. He needs a separate game of the Saga series, that would be correct to do everything. In addition, there are better applicants for DLC who have features that are not in Albion (more common, special values ​​for Laura, more information).
  • FinishingLast#1402FinishingLast#1402 Registered Users Posts: 4,856
    Vladoff said:

All races have subfractions. Albion does not have them. About them less information than about the eastern countries. Albion is too passive to have a monolithic LL in different parts of the world, and if the island itself is to be made, it must be greatly expanded. The map itself will not be expanded to the east due to technical features. They can only remake what is, but if so do it will become too crowded on the vortex map. He needs a separate game of the Saga series, that would be correct to do everything. In addition, there are better applicants for DLC who have features that are not in Albion (more common, special values ​​for Laura, more information).
    Expanding island make superblob. Angels no approve. Keep correct or unleashing the birdnuns.
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,455

It should be obvious people have different tastes, so that is how there are people asking for it. I personally find Albion more alluring than Cathay or individual because I love anything Celtic. Also CA will make whatever DLC they wish.
    Albion was already mentioned in TV Tropes, but first we should see if Araby would be added.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/TotalWarWarhammerII
  • HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,285
    edited January 2018

It's stuff like this that would make DoW really shine.

Want Albion troops? Conquer Albion for some special giants and warriors. Need the coast of Lustria raided? Sartosa is calling for you. Having problems with powerful enemies? Head east and hire on Man-eaters and Nippon/Cathayan warriors to even the odds with their deadly arts.

I really wanted something along these lines for the Beastmen. In the far north? Recruit Ymir. In Southlands? Recruit Apemen. In Naggaroth? Recruit weird spiky beastmen. In the East? Recruit Tigermen. In Bretonnia? Recruit Lakemen.

But this wouldn't be Warhammer if the Beastmen weren't getting shafted.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,333

Vladoff said:

Expanding island make superblob. Angels no approve. Keep correct or unleashing the birdnuns.
    Request Exterminatus.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 6,075
    I think we can all agree that Albion is at the bottom of the list of potential race dlc, well almost. I'd stick Amazons below for continuity reasons but that's debatable. Still I think it stands that there is just enough in the lore that if CA decided to make it, they could do it pretty well. The biggest problem is what the Empire has currently, and that's start variety. So while unlikely and with it's own unique problems it's definitely not in the category of Ind or Nippon. Doesn't prevent speculation from being entertaining.

Personally I'd love for every culture that had even a smidge of representation on the TT brought to life, and then some that never got a real chance on TT as well. That's unlikely to happen sure, but it's a good thing to aspire for.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

• NeoYasNeoYas Registered Users Posts: 963
    If I'm not wrong Albion is a faction very similar to Norsca, like Its sub-faction, except that they don't worship chaos, so why would CA waste its time on it having much better option like Araby, DoW and Amazons?

• TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,042
    I mean... I am all for MORE factions... araby, amazons, tilea, estalia, kislev... but albion is stretching it a bit too much
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 38,446
    edited January 2018
    Albion would be cool, though I'd put it 4th on my list of importance behind TK, DoW, and Araby.
    Richdog said:

Another Albion thread. Great... sigh.

Another person complaining about someone using the forum as a forum. Great.... sigh
    Post edited by Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 on
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Disciple of the Drybrush

• TotalBorehammerTotalBorehammer Registered Users Posts: 1,211

It really was a masterful bit of trolling on GW's part to make the WH version of Britain a completely unimportant, irrelevant backwater full of primitives with absolutely no influence over anything ever.

They basically foretold Brexit. :D
    CA have a Facebook page... use the comments section of their posts and express your thoughts on ME poor quality/delays etc https://www.facebook.com/CreativeAssembly/ :)
  • steam_164560549887SHoB7vVsteam_164560549887SHoB7vV Registered Users Posts: 31
    I'm not so sure about the Albion beeing playable, but there are some strange things happening on the Vortex map. If not because of the Albion as a faction, there will be potentially something happening with Albion as an island.

You see it's kinda strange that Albion is a one province made up of two settlements. What's even funnier is the name of the province referring to Albion, while the Norscan part in the Vortex map is just much bigger than the island itself. I assume they will split the province in the future between Albion and Norsca, like they did with Land of the Dead and the Dark Pyramid's province. Why? Don't know. Maybe playable Albion, maybe a mechanic for another faction, maybe something for TEB? Really don't know. It just seems weird that they had to name this province Albion, while in Warhammer I you weren't even been able to put your feet on the shore. I think it's not an overlook by CA. If there would be nothing happening with this part of the world, they would've just called it Norsca and maybe not even making Albion as big as it is. Mind you they did something similar with Sartosa. This hints something also. Not mentioning the fact that the flag for Sartosa is in Rouge Armies' shape, not an Empire like Sudenburg. Propably the rouge armies' mechanic will be somehow expanded with the introduction of TEB or DoW.

In case of Albion as a playable faction I think it would've been cool to see mechanic similar as the Wood Elves' one. With the exception that you can only colonise Albion and nothing else on the map. And with this ultimate rule CA would propably expand the theme with something really awesome.

Though it's better not to have expectations, then whatever comes you will be happy. :)
  • VladimiriVladimiri Registered Users Posts: 184
    edited January 2018

well it depends. No matter how much i've tried to educate myself about Ind, Cathay and Nippon they all feel very dull for me. Hoping none of these never make it in game. No matter how powerful lore and army books they have behind them, but again.. This is just my opinion.