Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Random CTD(Crash to Desktop) Tomb Kings

CatatafishCatatafish Registered Users Posts: 4
After the Tomb Kings update I was getting random CTD(Crash to Desktop) during battles and campaigns. The message I got was this program has stopped responding. I would get to play for 2 to 20 turns before it would happen. I noticed it happened when moving around the map or menus where fading in or out. I tried all the recommended steps of disabling all mods, integrity check, uninstall/reinstall, deleting the %appdata% folder, updating video drivers. None of this resolved the issue. There also wasn't any dump file created when it crashed. I checked the EventViewer to look at the logs in there and found events for all the crashes. In the events I noticed nvwgf2umx.dll was what was faulting.

The EventViewer error will look something like this:

Event Log:

Faulting application name: StarCitizen.exe, version: 3.6.11.3050, time stamp: 0x55b59adb
Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 10.18.13.5362, time stamp: 0x55b030c4
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000003bfd9e
Faulting process id: 0x1614
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0cfd29f691734
Faulting application path: D:\Games\StarCitizen\CitizenClient\Bin64\StarCitizen.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nvwgf2umx.dll
Report Id: 10b56608-44c5-41a4-a13c-1fc4ea99105b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

nvwgf2umx.dll is a file used by the graphics card. In my case it is a GForce 1060 6GB. If you are seeing this in your EventViewer after crashing may the gods have mercy on you. If you search it online you will see there are 100 different causes for it to start causing problems, and just as many supposed fixes depending on the game that is having problems. This isn't the first time I have faced this foe. I'm going to give you a few tricks that usually work for it and hopefully they will get you back to playing. Assuming you have done all the basics CA has recommended this is what I did to resolve.

* Go into Windows updates and to advance settings. Than click on give me updates for other Microsoft products.
This will update all C++ and .Net binary's
* If your using Steam, disable the steam overlay.
* If your using Nvidia GPU, disable the NVidia Overlay
* Go into Graphics option of game and set video Memory to unlimited.
* Remove any overclocking of GPU
* Run CMD as an administrator, and type "SFC /SCANNOW"
This will scan your registry and repair anything that needs to be repaired

If this works for you congratulations and happy gaming. If it doesn't good luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file