Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

THRONES OF BRITANNIA - Release date and further info

2»

Comments

• ShadowtwinzShadowtwinz Posts: 57Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    Normal game takes about 4-6 years to be decent, and in general almost every tw game is done in about 2 years. :((((
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,196Registered Users, Moderators, Knights

Lol, 40 euros for a mod which is getting rushed in 4-6 motnhs of developemnt. Expected for 10-12 motnhs atleast.
    Ok all hopes died.

According to this https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17 the game was already in full production by last June.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • WookingtonWookington Posts: 7Registered Users
    My only concern is the system requirements, they don't list Vista and its difficult to tell if that's simply because they forgot or because they have done something to the engine to actively prevent it from running anything pre-7, I hope its just an oversight :neutral:
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators

My only concern is the system requirements, they don't list Vista and its difficult to tell if that's simply because they forgot or because they have done something to the engine to actively prevent it from running anything pre-7, I hope its just an oversight :neutral:

Vista was at end of support April 11, 2017. It is no longer a supported OS.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    the youtube videos all look great i'm still excited about this game even though a lot of stuff I wanted them to put into the game isn't in like Viking ships being able to sail in rivers and having ship crews fight in land battles other than just port battles but it's just me by the way I already preordered mine I just can't wait till april 19th
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    It has met or exceeded all my expectations so far. It could not do more without being a full era title.

I would have liked a way to simulate Alfred's burh building - although maybe there is some trait/event/building that represents that already. I understand why you can't just put walls around every minor settlement - it'd completely change how the game is meant to work.

Vikings having better river access would be cool but not sure it's actually necessary.

Invicta's complaints would be valid if it were a full game, but it's not. It's a saga title.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • ShadowtwinzShadowtwinz Posts: 57Registered Users
    they choose good date to realese game after KCD hype they think people will play ToB
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users

Lol, 40 euros for a mod which is getting rushed in 4-6 motnhs of developemnt. Expected for 10-12 motnhs atleast.
    Ok all hopes died.

Bye Felicia
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    Since there's no garrison for minor settlements, will the game feature larger intercept radius ? The early release of ETW have this larger interception radius and this basically almost stopped one thing that I hate in games pre Rome 2, which are enemy units just attacking and burning the outlaying farms etc.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    LestaT said:

Since there's no garrison for minor settlements, will the game feature larger intercept radius ? The early release of ETW have this larger interception radius and this basically almost stopped one thing that I hate in games pre Rome 2, which are enemy units just attacking and burning the outlaying farms etc.

I wonder if an army requires a general and how easy it is to get generals.
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators
    alstl said:

I wonder if an army requires a general and how easy it is to get generals.

Jack had stated in an interview that a general is still needed for an army. I would assume that it works the same way as Attila where if you need a new general and don't have one in your pool, you can hire/buy one.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.

This doesn't really answer my question though, I suppose its too soon to know, because Vista is nominally 'out of support' means that people have just stopped listing it, regardless of whether or not something will actually work. I was just wondering if it was known that it actively would not work due to making certain calls on Windows.
  • EfixEfix Posts: 268Registered Users

This doesn't really answer my question though, I suppose its too soon to know, because Vista is nominally 'out of support' means that people have just stopped listing it, regardless of whether or not something will actually work. I was just wondering if it was known that it actively would not work due to making certain calls on Windows.
    Why would anyone still be using Vista
    Efix said:

Why would anyone still be using Vista
    Various reasons, there are still a significant number of people using it, many of them close followers of CA.
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 513Registered Users

EVENTS WITH IMPACTFUL CHOICES

"CA: We’re giving players events with impactful choices that can change the direction of the campaign, lead you down different paths, and the same happens for AI-controlled factions.

Many of the early events for factions are based on what happened in history but of course, as we’re allowing for differing outcomes, there are many events we’ve written that are inspired by what might have been."

"CA: To help tell the story of their campaign, each faction has a unique movie that sets the scene for the start date of 878 AD, and the subsequent events that happen often have unique event movies of their own. These are short, 6-second movies."

This is a HUGE step in the right direction for the franchise. Whilst I believe realistic cut-scenes (as opposed to artistic) would add greater impact and immersion, this is very very welcome.

As mentioned on numerous occasions, TW cries out for Witcher III type cutscenes with gameplay decisions to help bring these periods to life and improve immersion and gameplay.

Just made my first TW pre-order in 18 years of CA purchases. :)
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • MemnonMemnon Senior Member Posts: 581Registered Users
    Hi.
    Its any chance we can buy on Amazon.uk physical game?At the moment its just Steam CD key.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,196Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2018
    Memnon said:

Hi.
    Its any chance we can buy on Amazon.uk physical game?At the moment its just Steam CD key.

According to this https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-britannia-retailers the Limited Edition of the game will be available from Amazon.co.uk but the page is not yet live.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • Total_War_VeteranTotal_War_Veteran Posts: 446Registered Users
    Can the pre-order discount 15% instead of 10% ? :blush:
    Full support for CA and CA_Ella
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Psycho_V said:

EVENTS WITH IMPACTFUL CHOICES

"CA: We’re giving players events with impactful choices that can change the direction of the campaign, lead you down different paths, and the same happens for AI-controlled factions.

Many of the early events for factions are based on what happened in history but of course, as we’re allowing for differing outcomes, there are many events we’ve written that are inspired by what might have been."

"CA: To help tell the story of their campaign, each faction has a unique movie that sets the scene for the start date of 878 AD, and the subsequent events that happen often have unique event movies of their own. These are short, 6-second movies."

This is a HUGE step in the right direction for the franchise. Whilst I believe realistic cut-scenes (as opposed to artistic) would add greater impact and immersion, this is very very welcome.

As mentioned on numerous occasions, TW cries out for Witcher III type cutscenes with gameplay decisions to help bring these periods to life and improve immersion and gameplay.

Just made my first TW pre-order in 18 years of CA purchases. :)
    +1

We quite often hear the argument that - because TW games are a sandbox - history goes out of the window after turn 1.

I mean, technically yes that's the case, because it's like two alternate realities bifurcating. But to use that as a reason for scaling down the amount of historical references and immersion based on real-life events? I've never understood that. This series thrives on that stuff and the more its brought alive through cut-scenes and other creative features that sit outside the strictly gameplay mechanics, the better.
  • MemnonMemnon Senior Member Posts: 581Registered Users

Memnon said:

Hi.

According to this https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-britannia-retailers the Limited Edition of the game will be available from Amazon.co.uk but the page is not yet live.
    Many thx.
  • Zachman8454Zachman8454 Posts: 12Registered Users
    So I don't know where exactly I should post this, so if this is moved or of course taken down I understand. I of course did not want to start a new thread for this. I am going to be buying 2 (two) copies of Thrones of Britannia and giving one away. Can't wait for this game!

• SchepelSchepel Senior Member Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Pre-ordered. :smiley:

Probably going to skip 3K, but TOB has got me properly excited.
  • MagicMonkey243MagicMonkey243 Posts: 140Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    Schepel said:

Lol the opposite ... TOB looks almost identical to the Attila base game. The time period is pretty boring also ... CA should have done it during the Viking invasions.
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door" - Milton Berle

Normal game takes about 4-6 years to be decent, and in general almost every tw game is done in about 2 years. :((((

To be fair, this is more of a glorified expansion than a stand-alone game. Of course, we haven't seen too much gameplay yet but it looks like a large DLC.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,303Registered Users

To be fair, this is more of a glorified expansion than a stand-alone game. Of course, we haven't seen too much gameplay yet but it looks like a large DLC.
    Just like Med2 was a large DLC to Rome1. It even used exactly the same map.

Just like Med2 was a large DLC to Rome1. It even used exactly the same map.
    What are you smoking? Medieval 2 was a completely different game in almost every way possible other than the European setting. ToB is at best a large DLC expansion ... but not at the level of Fall of the Samurai to Shogun 2. You and I can both attest to the similarities of campaign map design and the gameplay shown thus far.
  • SchepelSchepel Senior Member Posts: 1,509Registered Users

Schepel said:

Lol the opposite ... TOB looks almost identical to the Attila base game. The time period is pretty boring also ... CA should have done it during the Viking invasions.
    To each their own, I suppose. What you consider boring, is what I consider a perfect fit for TW: a period with a lot of fighting between roughly equal opponents with strikingly different cultural and military features. However, be that as it may, if 3K has got you exited: enjoy it.
  • SkyjackSkyjack Posts: 92Registered Users

Vista?? Not only was it a bad OS but it’s so far out of date as to be non existent.