Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

God, these unit cards and icons. Are you kidding? I know im complaining already, but come on..

FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users

Is it just me who thinks these look like freaking runescape or something ? Ugh just awful. Very excited for the game though even though youtubers aren't impressed. 36 bucks..we will see.

Comments

• FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,217Registered Users
    I like them, personally, but I do understand why some people won't. These are supposed to reflect the art of that time, but that art style is not for everyone.

Still, it is way better than the base Attila's unit cards (the 3D cropped ones). If i had a complaint with ToB, it would be more about the texture of these cards. I really liked the slightly metallic tones of the cutscenes, and I'm a bit surprised to not see it here. I'm also a bit sad that the general's portrait does not show their real faces. I'd really like to see my king's face without needing to zoom in on the campaign map.
  • MolleMolleBillYallMolleMolleBillYall Posts: 55Registered Users
    I love It. I've never seen it before. It's a perfect mix between Irish Illuminated texts and Viking carvings.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    I'm 50/50 on the cards. I can appreciate the artstyle but there is no reason they can't be that style but properly detailed.

Edit: is it just me or do the English have some enormous noses?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,060Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    CnConrad said:

I'm 50/50 on the cards. I can appreciate the artstyle but there is no reason they can't be that style but properly detailed.

We're still two and a bit months from release, and the build is probably even older; there's no reason that the details can't be tweaked in the time remaining.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Junior Member Posts: 105Registered Users
    No one can say CA don't cater to history buffs anymore.
  • HrafnHrafn Posts: 305Registered Users
    I like them, though I've always liked that art style.

What style did you want, Franz?
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    I agree with OP, to me, they look very stylish but cheap (reminds of Rome II). However, I hope the majority of the buyers will like them. Art from the initial trailer was amazing. That what I was hoping unit cards, leaders and events would look like.

I did not find any good art but something like this using art style and direction from the initial trailer:

• mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators
    I like the stained glass style.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • DruidsbrookDruidsbrook Junior Member Posts: 48Registered Users
    Really like these unit cards actually. Feels very dark age/medieval just what I wanted.
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    I like the unit cards to I think it fits in with time period
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users
    I love the art style of the cards. I like it when the games try to fit their various UI bits into the trappings of the period. It gives a lot more immersion than the "camera snapshot" style that most of them use, which is just sort of a least-effort, "we know this works" kind of thing. It's not bad, but not great. The flip side of using period art is, of course, that people disagree about art all the time.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    I like the unit cards. A few more textures from the cut scenes would improve them though.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • SniperBob177SniperBob177 Posts: 293Registered Users
    They look utter garbage!!

Day 1 Mod required??

The annoying thing is these are what you spend the majority of time looking at.

The really annoying thing is the game is being advertised with far better art, under the knowledge the internal game art is so bad.

Will it actually get changed in the next 2 months.

Nope....too late now.

It's enough to have put me off buying.
  • HrafnHrafn Posts: 305Registered Users
    Will the people who hate them tell us what they would actually prefer?

I'm genuinely curious, and when your criticism amounts to "I just don't like it", it is hard to look at these as any more than whines.

I agree with OP, to me, they look very stylish but cheap (reminds of Rome II). However, I hope the majority of the buyers will like them. Art from the initial trailer was amazing. That what I was hoping unit cards, leaders and events would look like.

I did not find any good art but something like this using art style and direction from the initial trailer:

See, this I don't like. Far too fantasy-esque for me.

• SniperBob177SniperBob177 Posts: 293Registered Users
    Hrafn said:

I'm genuinely curious, and when your criticism amounts to "I just don't like it", it is hard to look at these as any more than whines.

The graphics look poor quality compared to the cut scenes, which are in a similar art style but have far more mettalic shine.

They are simply ugly. Can I get rallied behind some big nosed dude with a moustache? Nope. Can I send him to a callous death in the hope of getting a better unit card. Yep!!

All of the art associated with advertising looks cool, photographic.

Then you get a load of **** big nosed dudes to play with?

Why haven't CA used the big nosed dudes to advertise the game on the top of this forum?

Why use photographic imagery?

Because their ****
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,280Registered Users
    I like the unit cards. Based from what I've seen, it's my 3rd favorite unit card style after Shogun 2 and Rise of the Samurai. Dont really like Fall of the Samurai much though.

Rome 2, I like the initial idea and concept, buy not the actual implementation.
  • dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Posts: 1,739Registered Users
    I really like the style of them, but I thought the same in Rome 2 and found those really difficult to actually use - much preferred Attila's and Warhammer's from a usability point of view.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,217Registered Users
    There will always be some controversy when they try to go the artistic route, I think. If they wanted to play safe, they would just make a simple portrait like those of warhammer, or even better, just use the same art as the trailer.
  • prince_blucherprince_blucher Member Posts: 65Registered Users
    I don't like them at all, awful in fact. I would prefer a Bull God Esque type of unit card.
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Display Memory: 4042 MB
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    Hrafn said:

Im def not a whiner hrafn, and I think you know that cuz I know you've seen my posts. I always give solutions or my views. Even though I come off like an insulting **** sometimes, I don't mean it that way. I love all you guys, and as TW fans I really believe we need to stay unified and as one body. We can have nasty disagreements but were all cut from the same cloth. The TW cloth. As for my opinion on the cards, I really would of loved the art style for the ads on the cards, or charlagmane style cards. I really thought AoC was perfect. Its an opinion and Im happy for people who like these. I just think they look horrible and goofy. I understand what they were going for with the dark ages art but i think they overdid it and made it look to childish. Looks like one of those iPhone free games from the appstore. Seriously. But yeah I would loved a touched up AoC style. Small complaint though, I AM VERY GRATEFUL FOR THIS HISTORICAL TREAT CA, THANK YOU. NOW PLEASE MAKE WORTH IT BLOOD DLC: )
  • AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Posts: 4,372Registered Users
    Peesonally I really Like those unit cards, looks really nice

• kieran12kieran12 Senior Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    Mattzo said:

I prefer this personally, this what they looked like back then, they did not look like Cartoon characters. That art is more suited for a book. There is no difference in the facial look of your generals or governors, if using those units cards, I probably not even care about when they die in battle or die of natural causes. I want my leaders to have personality and even their wifes do have distinct looks. The Vikings women are naturally blonde. In Irish the women have black and red hair.
  • kieran12kieran12 Senior Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    kieran12 said:

Mattzo said:

I prefer this personally, this what they looked like back then, they did not look like Cartoon characters. That art is more suited for a book. There is no difference in the facial look of your generals or governors, if using those units cards, I probably not even care about when they die in battle or die of natural causes. I want my leaders to have personality and even their wifes do have distinct looks. The Vikings women are naturally blonde. Irish women have black and red hair.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,049Registered Users
    I don't mind the units. But the characters could stand to be zoomed out like 50%.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    Mattzo said:

I'm just a **** icon designer. As I said in my post I would love if the kept art from initial trailer.
    edited February 2018

Mattzo said:

I'm just a **** icon designer. As I said in my post I would love if the kept art from initial trailer.
    That was my problem - the trailer art style is fine for a trailer, but I wouldn't like unit cards looking like that.

I do like the concept of the current unit cards, I would just prefer they had a bit more detail/texture. The 2D period art theme is brilliant.
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    It's art style of the times just play the game first and imagine you're living in that time period I know it's different than what we are used to but I can get used to it it look cool to me
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,591Registered Users
    I thought the art in the trailer was hideous and amateurish. The historical period style art has so much more character and flavor.

Now this is what garbage looks like.

ò_ó
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users