Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

God, these unit cards and icons. Are you kidding? I know im complaining already, but come on..

Comments

• TsiarTsiar Posts: 298Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    Warlocke said:

I thought the art in the trailer was hideous and amateurish. The historical period style art has so much more character and flavor.

Now this is what garbage looks like.

Agreed. That face on the Viking reminds me a little of mobile or browser strategy games. I prefer the style they went with, even though it's by no means perfect.

• Thegn_PhilThegn_Phil Posts: 49Registered Users
    They look fine. This is nothing to complain about.
  • Lin_HuichiLin_Huichi Posts: 281Registered Users
    The problem I have is that every unit has the same pose. Its why I never got Age of Charlemagne, or Empire divided either. The art style makes it worse.

Complete and utter turn off.
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Junior Member Posts: 105Registered Users
    edited February 2018

The problem I have is that every unit has the same pose. Its why I never got Age of Charlemagne, or Empire divided either. The art style makes it worse.

Complete and utter turn off.

That's basically how art was at the time. It was easier for artists/artisans to make figures with the same pose over and over again if they were creating a scene with a large army (see the Bayeux Tapestry).

It looks pretty ugly to modern eyes, but that's part of the experience of depicting history.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,148Registered Users
    I don't like it. Campaign map units (armies) look realistic while the art style feels more like obelix and asterix. It just doesn't feels right. I would have preferred more in line with the trailer. Oh well nothing to do about it now.
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Posts: 936Registered Users
    I can't really say I care for the unit cards either, they look childish to me. But if that's how the artwork of the time period looked I guess I can see why they did them that way.
  • HrafnHrafn Posts: 305Registered Users
    Thank you to the detractors who are taking the time to explain why they don't like them, and what they would have preferred.

We disagree, but it is interesting to see what other people would have envisioned in place of the ones we have.
  • ArdrejArdrej Posts: 69Registered Users

Hrafn said:

Will the people who hate them tell us what they would actually prefer?

I'm genuinely curious, and when your criticism amounts to "I just don't like it", it is hard to look at these as any more than whines.

The graphics look poor quality compared to the cut scenes, which are in a similar art style but have far more mettalic shine.

They are simply ugly. Can I get rallied behind some big nosed dude with a moustache? Nope. Can I send him to a callous death in the hope of getting a better unit card. Yep!!

All of the art associated with advertising looks cool, photographic.

Then you get a load of **** big nosed dudes to play with?

Why haven't CA used the big nosed dudes to advertise the game on the top of this forum?

Why use photographic imagery?

Because their ****
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I understand you dont like them, however I dont find them specially offensive, not too bad not too good either, the thing is CA can please everyone with this kind of things
  • AsmodeusRexAsmodeusRex Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    These icons and unit cards look like something from my kids Horrible History books...bloody awful cartoons...
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,130Registered Users
    To all the people who hate them. I hate to rely on this crutch, but there will be mods.

Unit card mods are always week 1 mods. If you really dislik them take heart in knowing steam will have other options.

• asyncasync Junior Member Posts: 50Registered Users
    I really love the style of the cards and the game. No problem for me.
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 604Registered Users
    Fossoway said:

I like them, personally, but I do understand why some people won't. These are supposed to reflect the art of that time, but that art style is not for everyone. Still, it is way better than the base Attila's unit cards (the 3D cropped ones). If i had a complaint with ToB, it would be more about the texture of these cards. I really liked the slightly metallic tones of the cutscenes, and I'm a bit surprised to not see it here. I'm also a bit sad that the general's portrait does not show their real faces. I'd really like to see my king's face without needing to zoom in on the campaign map.

I prefer Attila's 3D unit cards over these. At least they're not as bad as Rome 2's Greek art for everybody...

• tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    LESAMA said:

I don't like it. Campaign map units (armies) look realistic while the art style feels more like obelix and asterix. It just doesn't feels right. I would have preferred more in line with the trailer. Oh well nothing to do about it now.

I love the art style - but I agree it doesn't mesh well with the map. It would help a lot if the map got some color-matches to the cutscenes (darker water, richer/deeper colours), maybe even a little bit of the reflective texture. As it is, they clash.
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users
    CnConrad said:

To all the people who hate them. I hate to rely on this crutch, but there will be mods.

Unit card mods are always week 1 mods. If you really dislik them take heart in knowing steam will have other options.

That what I think as well. So not too bothered by the icons. Overall they did a great job with UI. So let's wait for mods and get us a set of some garbage looking unit icons (ref to Warlocke post).
  • MolleMolleBillYallMolleMolleBillYall Posts: 55Registered Users
    The Art style is awesome.

Some folks just aren't into it.

Pantera or Shakira?
    Cigars or Creme Brulee?
    Goya or Picasso?
    Converse or Dr Martens?
    Matrix or Casablanca?

It's all a matter of taste...
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 878Registered Users

I think what it's needed it's changing the campaign map, as someone said, to be less Attila and more Thrones of Britannia. What I mean it's not about build it from scrap, but change colors, luminosity and add landmark to made it feel more a new game that it's coherent with this awesome art style.

Sometimes the eye wants it's tribute .
  • MolleMolleBillYallMolleMolleBillYall Posts: 55Registered Users
    Sherman said:

I think what it's needed it's changing the campaign map, as someone said, to be less Attila and more Thrones of Britannia. What I mean it's not about build it from scrap, but change colors, luminosity and add landmark to made it feel more a new game that it's coherent with this awesome art style.

It does look different though. There's loads more colour and detail. Purple Heather and a cool Giants Causeway.
  • TheAridTheArid Posts: 75Registered Users
    I actually like this kind of artistic style of unit cards. Better than the 3D unit cards in Attila.
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 878Registered Users

Sherman said:

It does look different though. There's loads more colour and detail. Purple Heather and a cool Giants Causeway.
    I Watched again the youtube videos after I posted that message because I had the feeling something changed, and you are right, but maybe something more can be done. Some part of central ireland seemed very cool, maybe the other parts of the map need a "unattilitation" that it's in progress or something like that from an arts team.
  • EfixEfix Posts: 266Registered Users
    I love them ! Very nice and fitting.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users

Sherman said:

It is a lot brighter, but the point is it doesn't 'mesh' visually with the cards/cutscene art style.
  • mw51630mw51630 Member Posts: 1,593Registered Users
    The art is giving me very mixed feelings.

This here looks absolutely stunning to me, in how it fits the time and doesn't look clunky.

But the unit cards below don't meet that same level of quality. I think its the color, in that the above looks like its made of glass or metal, while the below looks like a collection of doodles.

I think they're going to polish up those unit cards before release.

I like the art style, but the backgrounds look strange on them.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 782Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    That art style is sufficient for unit cards and event pics.

But using them as leader/diplomatic portrait just looks absolutely hideous,they are impossible to take seriously and hard to distinguish.
    They look like indistinguishable cardboard cutouts conducting diplomacy with speech bubbles.
    It manages to look more absurd than Civ6’s giant bobblehead leader,this really sticks out like a pinecone in a fruit basket.

This art style is not meant to represent important individual since it stylises them to the extreme,the gravitas and believability that the characters are suspose to have is lost.
  • CogidubnusCogidubnus Member Posts: 59Registered Users
    I love the art style for the narrative boards, they look amazing. And liked the idea of using them for the unit cards but am not sure they do work that well.

The style is perfect for the narrative pictures because it is telling the story of your campaign and illustrating it in historically correct manner.

The unit cards on the other hand are meant to be depicting your men on the ground. I think photorealistic images works best for this.

When the 'Greek style' unit cards first appeared for Rome 2 I thought they were great but when playing they didn't help with Emersion.

I think in a perfect world it could be a choice and you could switch between icon styles historical / photorealistic depending on your preference.
    I definitely didn't like the "photorealistic" style of Attila unit cards.

I always thought they looked cheap and lazy. I actually liked the Rome 2 and Charlemagne cards.

I guess that's just the thing with art...
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 484Registered Users
    I'm to be honest not in love with the unit card style for characters but on the other hand if you look at coins of the period the depiction of kings was very similar on the heads side.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,673Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    There have been several games where I personally did not like the unit card changes. That did not stop me from playing the game.

Playing the game is where the decisions and/or concerns should be made. The rest is just "sandal styles and leaves on trees...."

"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    Thanks for all the opinions. I think what I care about most is that we have to see the for diplomacy and leaders like was said. I can get used to it on unit cards, but for diplomacy? No more 3D leaders we get to watch? I know its not a huge deal, but for diplomacy I think this is a horrible choice. I was expecting to see Alfred and a Gaelic king ect.: (
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    dge1 said:

There have been several games where I personally did not like the unit card changes. That did not stop me from playing the game.

Playing the game is where the decisions and/or concerns should be made. The rest is just "sandal styles and leaves on trees...."

Of course D. I will still love the game. Like I said, just a small complaint. Im still very grateful to CA for not forgetting us history buffs. I just will miss my 3D diplomatic leaders and portraits in the corner. :(