Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

God, these unit cards and icons. Are you kidding? I know im complaining already, but come on..

Comments

• Frederick_WilliamFrederick_William Senior Member Posts: 779Registered Users
    i like the art overall, but some the unit cards to me right now seem a little meh. at least the ones i seen. the ones in the OP with the heads as large as the shields just don't look appealing too me.

but at the end of the day, it is a minor thing and i will get use to it. i care more about the game being good.
  • MolleMolleBillYallMolleMolleBillYall Posts: 55Registered Users
    tak22 said:

Sherman said:

I think what it's needed it's changing the campaign map, as someone said, to be less Attila and more Thrones of Britannia. What I mean it's not about build it from scrap, but change colors, luminosity and add landmark to made it feel more a new game that it's coherent with this awesome art style.

Sometimes the eye wants it's tribute .

It does look different though. There's loads more colour and detail. Purple Heather and a cool Giants Causeway.
    It is a lot brighter, but the point is it doesn't 'mesh' visually with the cards/cutscene art style.
    You could make the same argument about Shogun II with the woodblock style. But it's taking your mind into the culture of the time. The really shows you how the people at the time chose to portray themselves. I think the style is just new and a bit "odd" for some people. The only time I object to including cultural art into it is when its like the Greek style from Rome II. Just black silhouettes. I don't think disneys Hercules would be quite the same if it was done in that style.

If you look at style of art from Hylestad stave church carvings, the "History and Topography of Ireland", Lindisfarne Gospels and Book of Kells. You'll notice the colour schemes and style are pretty accurate.
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users
    edited February 2018

Thanks for all the opinions. I think what I care about most is that we have to see the for diplomacy and leaders like was said. I can get used to it on unit cards, but for diplomacy? No more 3D leaders we get to watch? I know its not a huge deal, but for diplomacy I think this is a horrible choice. I was expecting to see Alfred and a Gaelic king ect.: (

I agree with you. CA consistently compared TOB to FOTS and I was expecting diplomacy and character to look at least as good as in Shogun II diplomatic tab. I actually wanted to see Saxons seating in some dark castle or building, Danes would be in warlord hall, Welsh would have some other decorations so on and so forth.

I get that people like the style of unit icons and I am very happy that majority of fans are pleased with art direction but leaders should look more real with facial expression and gestures. I was hoping that CA would do the diplomacy screen (negotiations) in TOB similar to Civilization 6 in terms of gestures and emotions expressed.
    Post edited by RolloSmerson on
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users

tak22 said:

Sherman said:

I think what it's needed it's changing the campaign map, as someone said, to be less Attila and more Thrones of Britannia. What I mean it's not about build it from scrap, but change colors, luminosity and add landmark to made it feel more a new game that it's coherent with this awesome art style.

Sometimes the eye wants it's tribute .

It does look different though. There's loads more colour and detail. Purple Heather and a cool Giants Causeway.
    It is a lot brighter, but the point is it doesn't 'mesh' visually with the cards/cutscene art style.
    You could make the same argument about Shogun II with the woodblock style. But it's taking your mind into the culture of the time. The really shows you how the people at the time chose to portray themselves. I think the style is just new and a bit "odd" for some people. The only time I object to including cultural art into it is when its like the Greek style from Rome II. Just black silhouettes. I don't think disneys Hercules would be quite the same if it was done in that style.

If you look at style of art from Hylestad stave church carvings, the "History and Topography of Ireland", Lindisfarne Gospels and Book of Kells. You'll notice the colour schemes and style are pretty accurate.
    actually I thought S2 map/art fit together pretty well. The map was, I think, pretty clearly influenced by the art style. I remember playing, every time spring came around it was like floating in a fantasy world of cherry blossoms. That's the kind of thing I'd like to see in TOB: a map that's not just flat realism (even if the colour has been upped), but one that carries through some of the colour tones and textures, and maybe even some 'thematic' elements (like the cherry blossoms in S2) of the art.
  • MagicElmoMagicElmo Posts: 77Registered Users
    I like em a lot as they fit very well with the theme.
    Even the simpler unit cards compared to the nicer story art is still great for me.
    If done right, it could be great to differ the unit cards from each other.

I know it's not everyone's taste, but I'm hoping that CW will stick to these and just make sure they can the differed from each other.
    I would like them to concentrate on bigger issues as unit cards are really easy to be nodded in a way the majority of us is happy.
  • Total_War_VeteranTotal_War_Veteran Posts: 446Registered Users
    Looks good to me as well, fits the period nicely and brings different flavour than attila.
    Full support for CA and CA_Ella
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,222Registered Users
    I think they are fine; hopefully for those that disagree mods can remedy the problem.

This isn't exactly gamebreaking bugs or Realm Divide mechanic, and certainly not Norsca debacle 2.0

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users

Thanks for all the opinions. I think what I care about most is that we have to see the for diplomacy and leaders like was said. I can get used to it on unit cards, but for diplomacy? No more 3D leaders we get to watch? I know its not a huge deal, but for diplomacy I think this is a horrible choice. I was expecting to see Alfred and a Gaelic king ect.: (

I agree with you. CA consistently compared TOB to FOTS and I was expecting diplomacy and character to look at least as good as in Shogun II diplomatic tab. I actually wanted to see Saxons seating in some dark castle or building, Danes would be in warlord hall, Welsh would have some other decorations so on and so forth.

I get that people like the style of unit icons and I am very happy that majority of fans are pleased with art direction but leaders should look more real with facial expression and gestures. I was hoping that CA would do the diplomacy screen (negotiations) in TOB similar to Civilization 6 in terms of gestures and emotions expressed.
    Exactly
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,591Registered Users
    Well apprehensions about the art style are completely separate from the lack of seeing your faction leader hold court in diplomacy.
    ò_ó
    Warlocke said:

Well apprehensions about the art style are completely separate from the lack of seeing your faction leader hold court in diplomacy.

I guess I should specify. I hate seeing those portraits in place of our old diplomacy setup.
  • MagicElmoMagicElmo Posts: 77Registered Users
    As I said in the other thread, for me idealy we'll see the enhanced 2D art from the story progression cutscenes in the diplomacy screen.
    It will not break the overall theme and fit well with the general unit cards art.

I never liked CA's facial animations at close detail really.
  • thewhiteindianthewhiteindian Senior Member Posts: 418Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    Hrafn said:

Will the people who hate them tell us what they would actually prefer?

I'm genuinely curious, and when your criticism amounts to "I just don't like it", it is hard to look at these as any more than whines.

If they said they're based on masonry and stone reliefs of the time why not have carvings clearly and shadowed. The tech-trees look practical but immature. The whole UI is overly simplistic for a game that being overly simplified so it can be played on cellphones instead of a cult-franchise you play at home.

Hrafn said:

Will the people who hate them tell us what they would actually prefer?

I'm genuinely curious, and when your criticism amounts to "I just don't like it", it is hard to look at these as any more than whines.

If they said they're based on masonry and stone reliefs of the time why not have carvings clearly and shadowed. The tech-trees look practical but immature. The whole UI is overly simplistic for a game that being overly simplified so it can be played on cellphones instead of a cult-franchise you play at home.
    Yeah, exactly, it literally looks like a cell phone app art style. Really dont see how people can deny that. Yes the art is practical, but like you said, its immature and ridiculously kid looking. Not just the faces, but the little gems and rune stone looking things used as marks next to traits and stuff, i mean i dont have to explain it, if you have a brain you understand it looks like a cell phone app, despite the artstyle which i understand.
  • DribbsDribbs Senior Member Posts: 1,285Registered Users
    Overall, I really like the Isle of Lewis inspired graphical style .

The event panels look absolutely gorgeous. The lack of a 3D general doesn't bother me so much. The unit cards still could with some work though in terms of palette as they seem a little one-dimensional. It's not the large heads - I really like this styling - but more the plain backgrounds.
  • IelloIello Senior Member Posts: 385Registered Users
    I love the period art style a lot. And I especially like that it's being used for characters, too. Adds a lot of personality.

I didn't like the Rome II unit cards, not because I didn't want stylized art -- but because the art style did NOT match the period of the game. The unit cards in Rome II used an art style from centuries before the start of the game, and compounded it by having a really bad UI.

In contrast, It looks like Thrones is using period art and a solid, architectural looking UI. I like it a lot. I want the historical TW games to reflect the era they're set in, not be fantasy or anachronistic.
  • thewhiteindianthewhiteindian Senior Member Posts: 418Registered Users
    Dribbs said:

Overall, I really like the Isle of Lewis inspired graphical style .

The event panels look absolutely gorgeous. The lack of a 3D general doesn't bother me so much. The unit cards still could with some work though in terms of palette as they seem a little one-dimensional. It's not the large heads - I really like this styling - but more the plain backgrounds.

They look like spongebob squarepants
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Posts: 231Registered Users

Yeah, exactly, it literally looks like a cell phone app art style. Really dont see how people can deny that. Yes the art is practical, but like you said, its immature and ridiculously kid looking. Not just the faces, but the little gems and rune stone looking things used as marks next to traits and stuff, i mean i dont have to explain it, if you have a brain you understand it looks like a cell phone app, despite the artstyle which i understand.

guess the olde english and danes of those days probably would have loved that mobile-app art style too, with all the bright colours, gems and shinyness. i can so imagine someone like harald hardrade absolutely being into candy crush saga.
    ---Furthermore i am of the opinion, that the current Unit Count(20,21) must be lifted!!

Team Shadowgave
    Team Cao Wei
    Team Black Achilleez

there are billions, mindustry, factorio are perfect examples of artificial complexification done right

guess the olde english and danes of those days probably would have loved that mobile-app art style too, with all the bright colours, gems and shinyness. i can so imagine someone like harald hardrade absolutely being into candy crush saga.
    LMFAO
  • Angry_HobbitAngry_Hobbit Posts: 1Registered Users

They look utter garbage!!

Day 1 Mod required??

The annoying thing is these are what you spend the majority of time looking at.

The really annoying thing is the game is being advertised with far better art, under the knowledge the internal game art is so bad.

Will it actually get changed in the next 2 months.

Nope....too late now.

It's enough to have put me off buying.

I agree 100% I will NOT purchase this UNLESS/UNTIL a unit icon mod is created.
  • BolshevikBolshevik Posts: 93Registered Users
    They look great. A nice mix between Rome 2 and Attila. We all know what was wrong with the Rome 2 ones and Attila was just too cartoony. Fits the time period.

ABOVE: Soviet officer Alexey Yeremenko leads his men into combat. He was killed seconds after this photo was taken near Voroshilovgrad, Ukraine - July 12, 1942.

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bolshevik-/
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 402Registered Users
    I have no problem with unit cards and icons I think they fit the time period. I never liked rome 2 unit cards though. Hard for me to play a grand campaign because of them.
  • andreii707andreii707 Constanta, RomaniaPosts: 624Registered Users

Day 1 Mod required??

The really annoying thing is the game is being advertised with far better art, under the knowledge the internal game art is so bad.

Nope....too late now.

What a reason not to buy the game... the icons. I swear either I have the wrong mindset or some people are really entitled and opinionated.

"I did not like the fact that the vegetation had a slightly darker tone of green, I am done with this series".
    "Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." - Will find the author of the quote some other time.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,640Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Troll posts deleted
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    undead thread. :#
  • TijuTiju TulifurdumPosts: 109Registered Users

Day 1 Mod required??

Nope....too late now.

What a reason not to buy the game... the icons. I swear either I have the wrong mindset or some people are really entitled and opinionated.

"I did not like the fact that the vegetation had a slightly darker tone of green, I am done with this series".

It's a very good reason not to buy. TW games since R2 are very similar, progress is there but neglectable. So why buy a new game which even has a certain focus to campaign play that forces you to look at the terrible 2d art? It is disgusting, and I don't like disgusting things.

I will not buy either although I like some aspects of the game. I hope for some graphical mods.

BTW I don't think that lovers of the "abstract art" would comparably not buy the game if we had a kind of "realistic" 2d art, in the manner of TW:Attila or TW:Warhammer. They would buy anyway. So CA actually loses some money by using the art of S2, R2 or ToB. However I'm sure they spare a lot more of money by the time they save themselves making the simple crap art instead of realistic paintings. :D
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,666Registered Users
    It's a very good reason not to buy.

For you maybe, but then you represent such a tiny minority that your opinion is fully negligible.

• ArrowmakerArrowmaker Junior Member AustraliaPosts: 220Registered Users

I love It. I've never seen it before. It's a perfect mix between Irish Illuminated texts and Viking carvings.

Precisely! I love this art style, much preferred to a 'realism' style.
  • bbeslybbesly Member GermanyPosts: 269Registered Users

I love It. I've never seen it before. It's a perfect mix between Irish Illuminated texts and Viking carvings.

Precisely! I love this art style, much preferred to a 'realism' style.
    Couldn't agree more!
  • andreii707andreii707 Constanta, RomaniaPosts: 624Registered Users
    It's neither disgusting nor crap, that just an exaggeration.

If anything, disgusting is acting is such a manner, fussing over such little things. It's art specific to the era, you like or you do not, fine either way, but it does not make it disgusting.
    "Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." - Will find the author of the quote some other time.
  • WillCrossWillCross Member Posts: 81Registered Users
    I thought it would be based more on 1970's Memphis Wrestling aesthetics. It's completely put me off buying the game.