Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How many of you actually play MP regularly?

kenjigreatkenjigreat Registered Users Posts: 384
So far there are about 21Kish players that have ever played a match of QB in TWW2. Substantially less have won 10 matches.

What makes people quit so easily?Although I can pretty much guess the culprits Id still like to know your perspective.

Comments

• havy09havy09 Registered Users Posts: 158
    I used to and enjoyed playing with the HE. But the recent patch really weakened them. Probably not going to play MP until Sisters of Avelorn/Shadow Warriors or a new patch comes that actually nerfs other factions (I.E Lizardmen) or buffs the HE. I think for me It's the high learning curve and the HE are good faction to start with. Or they were...
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 3,335
    havy09 said:

I used to and enjoyed playing with the HE. But the recent patch really weakened them. Probably not going to play MP until Sisters of Avelorn/Shadow Warriors or a new patch comes that actually nerfs other factions (I.E Lizardmen) or buffs the HE. I think for me It's the high learning curve and the HE are good faction to start with. Or they were...

HE are still great, more people quit last patch due to lord sniping meta.
  • JoukeSeinstraJoukeSeinstra Registered Users Posts: 150
    Based on years of TW experience.

What makes people quit is the steep learning curve. It is intense if you do not see the angles. You're always a step behind your opponent. Most players get beat not by micro, but by not knowing how a unit function as the sum of the whole. What flank to win, what flink to hold, will your infantry push through? Is my general at risk? How can I support my cavalry without spending too much resources? Will cavalry superiority bring me victory?

WH2 has no obvious logic behind unit performance, you constantly need to unit test performance, and then combine it on the field. What fills the power vacuum after the dragon nerf? It's worse when beginners start to depend on crutches. What do you expect though if you pit veterans against beginners? You force them to depend on polarized compositions!

To win at Total War you need to have a plan before you start the game. Most players simply try something not particularly sensible and get burned from MP.

• eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,836
    I don't play many factions because it takes a long time to build up armies for facing every faction.

Great challenge, deep game.
    But combine that with fast pace, wonky controls, and being new to the game and getting mauled by veterans, I'm surprised when new players stick around.
  • Alexander_scAlexander_sc Registered Users Posts: 18
    I am playing Total War since Rome and I never played MP, always campaign. Now after so many years I am thinking about start MP. At the moment playing against AI, learning to micro faster (no stop or slow) and trying different factions. Having some issues with Internet but for Next week I will start MP after 12 years.

Will be hard but hope to have fun.
  • GerryGamer7GerryGamer7 Munich, Bavaria | GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 278

I am playing Total War since Rome and I never played MP, always campaign. Now after so many years I am thinking about start MP. At the moment playing against AI, learning to micro faster (no stop or slow) and trying different factions. Having some issues with Internet but for Next week I will start MP after 12 years.

Will be hard but hope to have fun.

It will be fun! Believe me. I started with Shogun 1 on Mac i dunno when. And switched to MP recently,
    because i understood that beating a real opponent is the real fun, because so unpredictable.
    Take it easy and apart from the hackers here and there the community is nice.

Have Fun!
    Anyone interested in showing a noob some tipps n tricks? Steam name Geraldo7 or pm me here. Will play after work from 10pm central european time which is 4pm new york. thx
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,606
    Personally, while it may seem petty, the lack of any kind of progression system makes it very tasteless. I keep going back to the like of Overwatch because there's a sense of acomplishment from lvl up, rank up, new skins, NEW THINGS.

With Total War, it's a battle and a leaderboard and that is all.

Let me customize my army? Perhaps have my own icons/banners? Take a hint from Company of Heroes / Dawn of War, or more popular multiplayer games like Overwatch / Battlefield, etc.

Shogun 2 had the right idea, now bring it to 2018 standards (I'm looking at you, Total War: Warhammer 3).

For the record, I play MP a lot, but almost exclusively in Head to Head campaigns where the battles have a sense of meaning.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • ThibixMagnusThibixMagnus Registered Users Posts: 156
    don't forget the entry price !

If you see the game on youtubers and want to give a try to MP, even if you focus on developing your play style with one faction, you need to test them all to see what you like and what you will face.

For that you have to buy two whole games and a huge amount of DLC. It's juste not viable for most people, and not competitive if there are other RTS still alive. Heck, age of empires 2 is still played a lot.

I think the potential is absolutely huge, not as an e-sport but a very solid and wide mp. Beyond the current small community, warhammer total war multiplayer could shake the entire genre beyond its per turn specialty, which luckily gives the solid market foundations in case MP fails.

CA really needs to think about what they have in their hands (I guess they do though), keeping in mind there aren't a lot of competitors left. Relic, blizzard, that's it. It's dying but could come back, these battles are too amazing and graphically efficient.

A lot of financial innovations could be made instead of the current purchase system, market studies would be needed but I'm sure there is a huge potential for people who won't pay for the huge campaign content but would like the MP. It's an additional market CA could tap into.

What you need is a way to stabilize financing for an ambitious game support through time.

Imagine a cheap monthly subscription to play multiplayer only, or a very cheap one to unlock only the factions you want. You could really innovate in that field, and revive the RTS genre with a new financial system. The initial investment is still covered by the reliable campaign gamers, but gives a basis to expand.

Imagine a much better UI, where you can equip your Lord, RPG style. Select magic weapon, select arcane artefact, select unit magic manner.

Unlock some items through progression (not too competitive or veterans are unbeatble, rather fun or gimmicky ones). Trade arcane resources with online friends. It started excitingly with Tomb Kings.

PAINT THEM FFS

Unlock new painting options with progression, like amazing new tatoos or mutations.

And so on and so on.

The future of the whole RTS genre depends on you CA

(I have no clue about the game industry by the way)

(sorry long reply rather than new thread)
  • ElectorOfWurttembergElectorOfWurttemberg Registered Users Posts: 996
    With every faction they add I find it more obnoxious to play, so while I still play often.. it is on the decline.
    What are you, some kind of... FANBOY
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Registered Users Posts: 3,555
    I would you it's a combination of poor balancing, bugs that skew balance even further, cheesey armies, a pointless leaderboard, no lobby, terrible chat, a complete lack of dedication by CA, etc, etc, etc. Few redeeming qualities altogether. Of all the ways CA could have made multiplayer in Warhammer, they chose the most bare bones approach. That is why the player base is so small. That is why people quit MP. It's also why some new players avoid it altogether. They hear the horror story that is TWWH MP and it's enough to push them away.

Just about as bad for multiplayer campaigns too. No effort was put in, just the easiest implementation possible since CA probably spent their entire budget making the game look good rather than play good.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 790
    I dunno, tbh, I think this is the exact same pattern as there was in WH1.

I don't remember the exact percentages, but something like 5 or 10% of the playerbase at least TRIED multiplayer in game 1...but once the 'new and shiny' wore off, the scene quickly dwindled into a much smaller community.

I think the main issue is, Total War by design is not suited well for multiplayer. It's NEVER been well balanced in any iteration (not just Warhammer, but like...Rome/Shogun/Attila etc.)....and the multiplayer side of the game has never received the development support that other multiplayer RTS's have enjoyed.

I'm not saying I want Total War to be like an esport or anything, but it is true that a large percentage of players who MIGHT have been interested in Total War's multiplayer have been already been spoiled by ladder features/modes/balance/polish in other games that Total War has always lacked, which makes it harder for those fans to get on board with a game that's missing features they expect/take for granted.

Basically, all I'm trying to say, is this thread overall seems to be a little tunnel visioned on the idea that recent Warhammer 2 multiplayer decisions specifically have uniquely diminished the multiplayer scene...when actually Warhammer 2 multiplayer has (magic aside) been at least been a slight improvement over Warhammer 1.

However, BOTH games (1 and 2), as well as Total War in general, have never had a sizeable multiplayer community continue to play long after launch due to other inherent, long standing problems with multiplayer in this franchise.

• ystyst Registered Users Posts: 2,104
    Shogun 2 is really the best iteration of how a totalwar mp should be.

Shame none of these totalwar follows.

Contrary to popular beliefs the game imba gap has been shrinking a lot. Quite massively for the past 2 years. Unless ure playing ultra competitive u wouldnt really know it that much.

New players will just keep changing races never truly knowing what the heck they needs to understand to win
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • h455566hhh455566hh Registered Users Posts: 30
    I play practically every day 3-4 matches and own the hall series. It's a shame that MP gets neglected, there is a lot of fun in it.
  • No_StringsNo_Strings Registered Users Posts: 8
    edited February 6

Based on years of TW experience.

What makes people quit is the steep learning curve. It is intense if you do not see the angles. You're always a step behind your opponent. Most players get beat not by micro, but by not knowing how a unit function as the sum of the whole. What flank to win, what flink to hold, will your infantry push through? Is my general at risk? How can I support my cavalry without spending too much resources? Will cavalry superiority bring me victory?

WH2 has no obvious logic behind unit performance, you constantly need to unit test performance, and then combine it on the field. What fills the power vacuum after the dragon nerf? It's worse when beginners start to depend on crutches. What do you expect though if you pit veterans against beginners? You force them to depend on polarized compositions!

To win at Total War you need to have a plan before you start the game. Most players simply try something not particularly sensible and get burned from MP.

This. The already steep learning curve is made even steeper by the fact that unless you understand BOTH your faction and the faction you're playing against, you're unlikely to win. Don't get me wrong, I personally love the complexity, but it's mainly this that chases away the casual player.

The time commitment to understand the units of every single faction is quite a bit compared to a game where say, a pikeman is always a pikeman and a swordsman is always a swordsman. The rock, paper, scissors style is easier to grasp without unique units.

In Warhammer, one of the best things about the game is that each faction is so unique. But this means you have to figure out what the heck each unit is that your enemy is bringing to the fight before you know how to deal with it and it's not always readily apparent. I don't know how many times I charged cavalry into Slayers before I finally figured out they were anti-large. Or how many times I'd use armor piercing units on units with low armor, not realizing it was a total waste. Stuff like that makes the game harder to pick up.

• UniverseBearUniverseBear Registered Users Posts: 32
    I play every now and then. I really don't enjoy lord sniping and some of the OP magic. Nothing is as frustrating as orchestrating a tactical advantage through army placement and ambushes but then, wait, the enemy dude pressed a button so now most of your front line is dead.
  • BMNOBLE981BMNOBLE981 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,178
    Very rarely even then it depends on the connection for the match, I will only play the match if its a Medium or High Connection.

But take into account I live in Australia and have satellite internet, so good connection is not too common, I don't like to annoy the person on the other end by trying to play the low connection speed. Especially with all the spells activated abilities in Warhammer compared to earlier games.
    Dr Zoidberg "We fight over matters of honour, and whether or not abbreviations count in scrabble. THEY DON'T"
  • Iron00Iron00 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 49
    krunsh said:

Personally, while it may seem petty, the lack of any kind of progression system makes it very tasteless. I keep going back to the like of Overwatch because there's a sense of acomplishment from lvl up, rank up, new skins, NEW THINGS.

With Total War, it's a battle and a leaderboard and that is all.

Let me customize my army? Perhaps have my own icons/banners? Take a hint from Company of Heroes / Dawn of War, or more popular multiplayer games like Overwatch / Battlefield, etc.

Shogun 2 had the right idea, now bring it to 2018 standards (I'm looking at you, Total War: Warhammer 3).

For the record, I play MP a lot, but almost exclusively in Head to Head campaigns where the battles have a sense of meaning.

This would get me hooked
  • SbrubblesSbrubbles Registered Users Posts: 1
    I'm someone who has only recently started playing multiplayer, even though I quite enjoy watching multiplayer battles on youtube. Some people have already pointed out these 3 things in different ways, and to me these are the most important:

1) Bland ladder UI/lack of progression: Really, this is awful. Click Multiplayer, click Quick battle, that's all you get. It's been a while since I played SC2 but I remember the UI being way better. If they don't want to add levels and unlockables that's fine, but they could at least show me something that compares me with other players, like mmr or ladder standing or something. Pretty it up!

2) It's hard for new players to know why they won or lost. Post-battle stats would be very nice to get a better idea of who was dealing/tanking the most damage, and also who was taking damage from whom and how each unit took damage. As a new player, I win a battle but see in the end screen that my elite infantry only have 10 kills, and I'm like: ok why did this happen? Were they fighting big monsters the whole time I was microing my spells/skirmishers/cav? Did they get ganged up and rear charged? Was it magic? The only way to know is to check the replay, and that's a lot of work.

3) The learning curve is very high. Honestly, I'm not sure this is solvable, but that's ok, I don't mind a difficult game.

That's 2 out of 3 problems that are solvable without actually changing the gameplay.
  • Otters007Otters007 Registered Users Posts: 311
    I fairly recently decided to give multiplayer a go. Always been a single player guy over the past few total wars but decided to give it a shot for W2.

I got absolutely wrecked. I had countless defeats. As a new player, that was incredibly disheartening. But I persevered, started to learn, and now, I win a fair amount of matches, I am probably almost an average MP now lol.

The learning curve, as has been mentioned, is HUGE. I kinda wish that new players can play each other separate from the veterans, so that they can learn together and not be too disheartened.

I very nearly quit it for good near the beginning, but now I really enjoy it. I still lose more often then not (unless I am Skaven, for some reason I seem to do well with them), but I win often enough that it feels worth my while.
  • GodOfGobbozGodOfGobboz Registered Users Posts: 99
    Many more people play multiplayer then you'd think. On discord, twitch and youtube there are many small sub-communities with people who play multiplayer. According to statistics, mp community is very small. But those who do play multiplayer on a competetive level, and put many hours in to the game every day, they exist. And theres quite a handfull of them.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 14,921
    Personal note. I stopped MP shortly after FOTS with Shogun. Most of the folks one came up against were a complete pain, to put it nicely. Did Napoleon for a little while longer but it took so long to get a game I finally gave it up also.

Tbh, whenever I get the urge to get back into it a read through the various MP forums when doing my moderating thing tends to quickly suppress that urge. As I said, it's a personal thing. I also think more could be done to improve the MP experience but that is outside my ball park.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    edited February 22
    dge1 said:

Personal note. I stopped MP shortly after FOTS with Shogun. Most of the folks one came up against were a complete pain, to put it nicely. Did Napoleon for a little while longer but it took so long to get a game I finally gave it up also.

Tbh, whenever I get the urge to get back into it a read through the various MP forums when doing my moderating thing tends to quickly suppress that urge. As I said, it's a personal thing. I also think more could be done to improve the MP experience but that is outside my ball park.

FOTS killed shogun for me

It's almost comparable to what Kingdom Come is doing to Warhammer
    dge1 said:

Haha I think the whining on the forums is far in excess of any serious balance or other flaws in the MP game. Don't pay attention to us jokers ;).
    I dunno, every time I take a break for Wh to play something else or what ever. Coming back is always rough.

• ghtotghtot Registered Users Posts: 85
    edited February 22
    Over 1000 quick battles with dwarfs if WH1, WH2 combined. Can i call myself a true dawi patriot?
  • KranoxKranox Registered Users Posts: 1,705
    ghtot said:

Over 1000 quick battles with dwarfs if WH1, WH2 combined. Can i call myself a true dawi patriot?

FOR SURE !

You are an honorable dwarfs player, we passed through dark times fellow dawi, ages of chariot cheese, darkness of draw kiting, but he held on

FOR THE HIGH KING!

• AWizard_LizardAWizard_Lizard Registered Users Posts: 316
    ghtot said:

Add me to the cause then! About the same amount of battles, with the dawi of course.

ghtot said:

Add me to the cause then! About the same amount of battles, with the dawi of course.
    Ditto. Who else misses the days of ludicrously priced units that still barely countered chariots once in a blue moon?
  • ArchonPrimeArchonPrime Registered Users Posts: 989
    Won a battle but lost point...
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 3,335

Won a battle but lost point...

I had this happen like 3 times now, its so frustrating.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file