Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

User Info RequiredMysterious 8 MB Update has ruined mods

TryggviTryggvi Junior MemberPosts: 26Registered Users
edited February 5 in Crashes & Performance
Dear CA,
could you at least announce your misdeeds?
Today, a small (8 MB) update has been released and it has ruined almost every mod. I just have crashes, when trying to run the game.
So what is about? Adding the unnecessary and just stupid launcher warning about mod (it's very useful, thanks!)? But why then the modded game crashes?
Post edited by CA_Matthew on

Comments

• CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative Assembly Posts: 556Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SuperAdmin
    Hi @Tryggvi,

This update was part of an update to lift the size limit on uploaded mods.

I announced it here this morning: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/7vdnvz/psa_new_attila_launcher_build_now_live_modders/

Could you please list the mods you have installed? Including your modified.log found in your Attila appdata folder.

%appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Attila\logs

Thanks,
    CA_Matt
    FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • TryggviTryggvi Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited February 5
    CA_Matthew, I didn't know that the CA uses such a site as an official media, but I have to apologise.
    I can provide the list and the file, but all of the mods aren't on the Steam - so do you need it then?
    By now, the situation seems to be the following:
    1) Steam mods seem to work, even if they marked with the "non-updated" sign.
    2) Non-Steam mods partly work and partly don't work. It seems, that all the non-working mods contain script files.
    PS. After a crash, there is always a VFS error message.
    Post edited by Tryggvi on
  • ChilvalricChilvalric Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited February 5
    I confirm, any mod is no longer compatible and makes game to crash..

EDIT: I do not even load steam mods ... and I'm not alone
  • CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative Assembly Posts: 556Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SuperAdmin
    Tryggvi said:

CA_Matthew, I didn't know that the CA uses such a site as an official media, but I have to apologise.
    I can provide the list and the file, but all of the mods aren't on the Steam - so do you need it then?
    By now, the situation seems to be the following:
    1) Steam mods seem to work, even if they marked with the "non-updated" sign.
    2) Non-Steam mods partly work and partly don't work. It seems, that all the non-working mods contain script files.
    PS. After a crash, there is always a VFS error message.

It would be beneficial to get a list and location of where you got them, for the non-workshop mods.
    FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited February 6
    CA_Matthew,
    here is modified.log.
    Is it OK, that there all the mods I have in the data folder, not only the ones that are turned on in the launcher?

And as for the main mod, I can't launch, it is at a Russian-speaking community, so I've uploaded it for you in a one pack.
    There are four files, one of them (___ash_BAI_v3.pack) is in the .movie format, so it works automatically. The other three should be turned on.

And I hope, it will be a useful information for you, but me and comrades have just figured out that everything works fine, if you write it down in the user.script.txt file.
    Hi @Tryggvi , thank you for your assistance!

Would you be able to also tell me the user.script function to load these in? I can confirm that the mods you provided do indeed come up with the VFS error.
    edited February 6
    @CA_Matthew,
    here it is.
    There is no need to turn on the movie-file, so there are only three lines in it.
    And be sure that the user.script file is 'read-only'.
  • AJPAJP Posts: 11Registered Users
    Hi, I have been playing Attila now for several years and never had a problem... Love The Game.
    I havent played it for a few weeks and came to load it yesterday only for it to not load.

I Press the play button for steam and the game laucher says "Lauching Total War: Atilla". But nothing happens, It goes from "Ready To Play", "Running", "Syncing" to "Ready To Play" Again,

I have been on many forums and even the Official Total War page and completed all suggestions, including, Verifying the game Cache and files, Rebooting Steam, Rebooting PC, Uninstalling the Game and reinstalling.

I am totally confused and frustrated and any help or suggestions further to what i hacve already tried would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Even Vanilla Attila is not working
  • MercbeastMercbeast Senior Member Posts: 416Registered Users
    I'm having the same issue.

I was only hit with this last night. Suddenly the game won't launch, period. If I disable all my mods, it doesn't matter.

Curiously, I discovered that if I launch Rome 2, change the launcher over to Attila, I can launch Attila through the Rome 2 launcher. It loads up fine. So 100% without question, the issue is the Attila launcher update. Very annoying. I hope CA addresses whatever is causing this before they roll it out to all the other games and break all their games for people who presumably have their own custom mods.
  • domsithlorddomsithlord Posts: 13Registered Users
    I can confirm im having the same issue was working fine with Seven Kingdoms and then the next day i get hit with the VFS error screen, now only vannila game works.

so frustrating that there has been no fix iv tried all temp fixes and none worked! https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/168929/vfs-error-could-not-load-the-mods-im-not-running-mods-and-have-reinstalled-twice

^ link to what i have tried
    edited February 13
    Well, once again.
    Turn on mods using the user.script.txt file.
    Everything works fine in this case.
    edited February 13
    Dear @CA_Matthew

Please can you advise why my Vanilla Attila is not working either with NO MODS ENABLED???

Since the update nothing works....

Rome 2 or Attila!!!

2 weeks now this has been unfixed
    edited February 13
    It seems, nobody has read my posts...
    Use the user.script.txt file for turning on mods.
    I have deleted all my mods and still not working!!!
    edited February 13
    Tryggvi said:

Well, once again.
    Turn on mods using the user.script.txt file.
    Everything works fine in this case.

just uploaded it to my directory still isnt working same VFS issue
    edited February 13
    @domsithlord , find or create in the folder C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly .txt file named user.script and add there mods in such a way:
    mod "mod_1";
    mod "mod_2";

- where mod_1 is the mod file name (with the "" symbols!).
    Note that the highest mod in the list will be turned on first, and so on.
    Switch the user.script.txt to the 'read-only' mode.
    Now you can launch the modded game, but don't touch anything in the launcher mod manager.
    If you want to turn off the mods, you should just delete their lines from this file.

Sorry, I don't understand. Have you downloaded the file that I had attached? Of cource, it won't work because it contains a list for the mods I have.
    edited February 13
    Tryggvi said:

@domsithlord , find or create in the folder C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly .txt file named user.script and add there mods in such a way:

mod "mod_1";
    mod "mod_2";

- where mod_1 is the mod file name (with the "" symbols!).
    Note that the highest mod in the list will be turned on first, and so on.
    Switch the user.script.txt to the 'read-only' mode.
    Now you can launch the modded game, but don't touch anything in the launcher mod manager.
    If you want to turn off the mods, you should just delete their lines from this file.

Sorry, I don't understand. Have you downloaded the file that I had attached? Of cource, it won't work because it contains a list for the mods I have.

I coppied mine from this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?623840-Using-the-quot-User-Script-txt-quot-File

and it still says VFS error as shown here http://i.imgur.com/QEJfnOb.jpg and it will not work no matter what i try!

also it tells me that my 2 mods will cause issues with the game if i try to add the mods through menu... i dont understand whats done this it was fine a week ago now isnt working !

@CA_Matthew is there any way i can fix this ? now vannila game isnt working either i havent been able to play in almost a week !

@Tryggvi i tried your method but it keeps crashing... guess im gonna have to wait for a patch to play a game i spent nearly £40 on :(
    edited February 14
    @domsithlord , well, if you have even the vanilla not working, then my method hardly could help.
    A general advice could be to install/update all Microsoft Visual C++ and .NET Framework libraries. It is useful anyway.
    But if it doesn't help and if you still have time and patience, I would advice you to uninstall the game and manually delete everything that concerns the TWA in the system registry (regedit in command line, then simple search by Ctrl+F, for example, by word "Attila"). And only after that, install it again.
    I've once had something like that on Attila (the launcher seemed to "remember" old mods, despite the fact I had turned them off). And only the reinstalling with registry cleaning helped me.
    PS. But I must give a disclaimer that any system registry editing is done at your own risk, so you'd better create a system restore point before that.
    PPS. Updated. No Warhammer, I meant Attila, of course.
    Post edited by Tryggvi on
    Tryggvi said:

@domsithlord , well, if you have even the vanilla not working, then my method hardly could help.
    A general advice could be to install/update all Microsoft Visual C++ and .NET Framework libraries. It is useful anyway.
    But if it doesn't help and if you still have time and patience, I would advice you to uninstall the game and manually delete everything that concerns the TWW in the system registry (regedit in command line, then simple search by Ctrl+F, for example, by word "Warhammer"). And only after that, install it again.
    I've once had something like that on Attila (the launcher seemed to "remember" old mods, despite the fact I had turned them off). And only the reinstalling with registry cleaning helped me.
    PS. But I must give a disclaimer that any system registry editing is done at your own risk, so you'd better create a system restore point before that.

all i can do is wait then. it seems CA doesnt want to help in this instance nothing seems to be working since their little fix. its been a week now suppose i should just delete the game and hope in a year its up and running.
    Tryggvi said:

TWW

Tryggvi said:

"Warhammer"

I beg you pardon. I meant TWA and "Attila", of course.

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 32,276Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    There has just been another small update. Does that help the situation?

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • RuswarrRuswarr Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited February 15
    No more VFS errors for me with non-workshop mods enabled but it seems non-workshops just don't work now - my modifed victory conditions for Romans and Sassanids are no longer applied.
    Launcher also warns only about the very first mod in the alpabetical order, even with more mods enabled - which doesn't seem right.
    @BillyRuffian ,
    1) No VFS error.
    2) The non-steam mod works.
    Thank you!
    Ruswarr said:

Launcher also warns only about the very first mod in the alpabetical order, even with more mods enabled - which doesn't seem right.

Are you sure? There is just a scrollable list, so the other mods are below.
  • RuswarrRuswarr Posts: 14Registered Users
    Tryggvi said:

Are you sure? There is just a scrollable list, so the other mods are below.

Oh damn, that really can be scrolled. My bad, I didn't even realzie that is was the whole list as it usually looks more... full.
  • Miguel80tpMiguel80tp Posts: 3Registered Users
    The mods still can't be updated. The most important thing remains unresolved.

There has just been another small update. Does that help the situation?

im still getting VFS errors for my non workshop mod..... what did this update do because i am not alone.