Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I will not buy this because of the lack of tech support on other titles

Peterg13Peterg13 Posts: 68Registered Users
So,

I am not complaining. Not ranting. I just want someone to help fix my game. Just drawing attention to the issue.

I own almost all the Total War titles. Right now I am playing Warhammer II. All of which is great except something has broken and I can no longer host or play online. Nothing changed with me, or my systems. It seemed to occur after the last DLC was loaded.

I posted on these forms for support. I get squat. In another thread where some one challenges the support model we get this.

"Grace_CA February 8
Horus38 said:
Short answer is yes.

It seems like a lot of bug reports are silently acknowledged and added to a master list they compile behind the scenes without a reply being posted in the support forum.

If it's a personal problem "My game wont start/is broken, the sound is distorted etc." they will usually respond within a week or so if you've followed all the steps laid out.

This is the case.

However, I'm aware that our presence here (on forums, and on support) could be better. But there's no easy fix. So this is something that, please be assured, I am currently looking into and trying to decide the best way to address it.

Part of it is that we don't currently have a designated forum person, however this is because the role has recently become available, so we will be hiring someone who should have more of a presence on here."

I cannot play my game as it was intended, and no one from CA cares enough to even acknowledge it.

Before I put money down on a new game, you need to take care of your players better. ( I posted this in the wrong thread earlier)

Comments

• Thegn_PhilThegn_Phil Posts: 45Registered Users
    Then don't buy it. There is no need to announce it to everyone on a forum.
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,320Registered Users

And announce it repeatedly with multiple identical threads, at that.

If you want help with your problem but that is fine, but posting what you consider to be a unsatisfactory support response without context accomplishes nothing.
    ò_ó
  • Peterg13Peterg13 Posts: 68Registered Users

The point is I want the attention of CA so they get someone to assist on their support pages.
    Warlocke said:

And announce it repeatedly with multiple identical threads, at that.

If you want help with your problem but that is fine, but posting what you consider to be a unsatisfactory support response without context accomplishes nothing.
    Your right, I originally posted in the wrong forum, my bad, not that this is the right one either.

Do you really want the context?

Sure, Warhammer II was working great until the latest patch/ DLC. I and my friend can no longer host a game in multiplayer. We either disconnect or get a game incompatible error . We are not alone either. If you look at the WH support page, CA has simply stopped responding to almost everything. If you post on the main discussion page, same thing only there [email protected] acknowledged there was no one to respond? really? That thread was closed as being off topic. So yeah, this is totally the wrong place for this but hopefully [email protected], who actually responds on this page, can tell his peers to go fix their issues.

It's not like I did not post there, but I am not going to let all the money I spent on WH I and II become useless in multiplayer. It's half the game.

There's the context.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,192Registered Users
    I think its ok for you to post this man. CA needs to hear it. I to have experienced silence in response to issues so I know your pain. If nobody answers you in the right place, post it everywhere.
  • TsiarTsiar Posts: 261Registered Users
    Seems fair enough OP, I agree with you.
    I'll probably get ToB myself, but long, long after release.
  • Vlad0153Vlad0153 Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited October 8
    I agree with OP. It is kinda shame, but there is not much (we as individuals) can do against it. It is, dare i say, systemic problem.

Game is published, some attention is given after its release, but soon enough it is ditched, while new one is made and released and so circle repeats itself.

I understand why they do it - First, fixing bugs costs and does not bring money (at least in a short term). It is more profitable, just to start working on a next game as soon as possible - before engine ages, so they can juice out of it as much as you can. Second. Why would they invest in old title, when next one is going to be released and they probably want people to buy it! instead playing old one.

So, I guess current business model will endure, because it is profitable more then alternative, at least in a short term.

I do not think that there are a lot of companies in gaming industry that use different kind of business model. There are some, like Valve with CS:GO and introduction of market, skins, (gambling) boxes. Which due their profit not only in sales, but also in other spheres, which I have mentioned, keep working on their title long after its release. Similarly with MMOs, where you keep paying monthly for devs to keep working on it.

Could Total War series work in similar manner - use similar business model and bring same rate or preferably bigger rate of profit (why bigger? risk a change if it works fine - don't fix what is broken), I really doubt. Maybe I have no imagination, but I really doubt - if there would be, I guess they would probably think of it by now. They tried other models, like dlcs, expansion and now they are trying with sagas. Well, on other hand, I did not think much about it, since I'm not payed for it.

I will probably buy ToB, even tho I'm greatly dissatisfied with support of older titles. Lets be frank, CA has monopoly in this sphere\genre, there are not many games who can compete with it. So they kinda can do, what they do, since it does not matter. They are not evil or rude, it is how world works. Basically, it all boils down to economics and market.

Cheers
    Post edited by Vlad0153 on
    Played them all, since Shogun 1
    Vlad0153 said:

I agree with OP. It is kinda shame, but there is not much (we as individuals) can do against it. It is, dare i say, systemic problem.

Game is published, some attention is given after its release, but soon enough it is ditched, while new one is made and released and so circle repeats itself.

I understand why they do it - First, fixing bugs costs and does not bring money (at least in a short term). It is more profitable, just to start working on a next game as soon as possible - before engine ages, so they can juice out of it as much as you can. Second. Why would they invest in old title, when next one is going to be released and they probably want people to buy it! instead playing old one.

So, I guess current business model will endure, because it is profitable more then alternative, at least in a short term.

I do not think that there are a lot of companies in gaming industry that use different kind of business model. There are some, like Valve with CS:GO and introduction of market, skins, (gambling) boxes. Which due their profit not only in sales, but also in other spheres, which I have mentioned, keep working on their title long after its release. Similarly with MMOs, where you keep paying monthly for devs to keep working on it.

Could Total War series work in similar manner - use similar business model and bring same rate or preferably bigger rate of profit (why bigger? risk a change if it works fine - don't fix what is broken), I really doubt. Maybe I have no imagination, but I really doubt - if there would be, I guess they would probably think of it by now. They tried other models, like dlcs, expansion and now they are trying with sagas. Well, on other hand, I did not think much about it, since I'm not payed for it.

I will probably buy ToB, even tho I'm greatly dissatisfied with support of older titles. Lets be frank, CA has monopoly in this sphere\genre, there are not many games who can compete with it. So they kinda can do, what they do, since it does not matter. They are not evil or rude, it is how world works. Basically, it all boils down to economics and market.

We are not powerless tho, there is kinda one thing we, as dedicated fans of Total War series can actually do! We can organise, and then as organised group boycott future products and as group try to influence others do to the same (writing negative reviews on steam store, forums and other websites etc.). This is what OP was kinda doing - writing a post with hope to influence others to do the same - so he kinda, deep down and unconsciously knew the solution, but he was alone in this endour.

If you guys ever choose that path, I'm willing to join. But I do not have time to actively participate (organise, talk with people etc.)

disclaimer: I hope I don't get banned for mere suggestion of such thing. Warning will be enough :)
    disclaimer2: Even tho I said, I would not activly participate - I would accept title of honorary president of such group. :)

Cheers

I agree with a lot of what you said, my only issue is that I am not talking about an old game. If I were discussing Medieval I or II, I would really be out of place. I am discussing their current big title, for which they just released a DLC, which broke my game for some reason.

My biggest issue here, other than my game being broken is this:

"Grace_CA February 8

Part of it is that we don't currently have a designated forum person, however this is because the role has recently become available, so we will be hiring someone who should have more of a presence on here."

These are supposedly the official Total War forums and they do not have anyone to work them, which means they have no one working the support forums.

So basically, do not complain if the game is broken, breaks or has bugs, no one is there to read / care about the issue.

And you are right, they have the corner on the market for these games but you would think that CA could afford to employ someone to at least acknowledge issues and assist with support. I think that is more important than new development because there is no point in releasing a game, none are perfect and bug free, if there is no one to fix issues.

There is a real difference between "I don't like that all Saxons shield bearers are the same model" or "Huns are too tuff, I cannot beat them" and the latest DLC / patch breaking a key function of the game like multiplayer/ battles / etc.

I have waited a week since my initial post, I will wait one more then I would be fine with blasting this everywhere.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 2,758Registered Users
    Peterg13 said:

Vlad0153 said:

We are not powerless tho, there is kinda one thing we, as dedicated fans of Total War series can actually do! We can organise, and then as organised group boycott future products and as group try to influence others do to the same (writing negative reviews on steam store, forums and other websites etc.). This is what OP was kinda doing - writing a post with hope to influence others to do the same - so he kinda, deep down and unconsciously knew the solution, but he was alone in this endour.

If you guys ever choose that path, I'm willing to join. But I do not have time to actively participate (organise, talk with people etc.)

disclaimer: I hope I don't get banned for mere suggestion of such thing. Warning will be enough :)
    disclaimer2: Even tho I said, I would not activly participate - I would accept title of honorary president of such group. :)

Cheers

I agree with a lot of what you said, my only issue is that I am not talking about an old game. If I were discussing Medieval I or II, I would really be out of place. I am discussing their current big title, for which they just released a DLC, which broke my game for some reason.

My biggest issue here, other than my game being broken is this:

"Grace_CA February 8

These are supposedly the official Total War forums and they do not have anyone to work them, which means they have no one working the support forums.

So basically, do not complain if the game is broken, breaks or has bugs, no one is there to read / care about the issue.

And you are right, they have the corner on the market for these games but you would think that CA could afford to employ someone to at least acknowledge issues and assist with support. I think that is more important than new development because there is no point in releasing a game, none are perfect and bug free, if there is no one to fix issues.

There is a real difference between "I don't like that all Saxons shield bearers are the same model" or "Huns are too tuff, I cannot beat them" and the latest DLC / patch breaking a key function of the game like multiplayer/ battles / etc.

I have waited a week since my initial post, I will wait one more then I would be fine with blasting this everywhere.
    Post release, the actual support actually should be under SEGA.

Forum, being forum is more about marketing and early release support.

If you really have an issue, contact SEGA support.
    LestaT said:

Ok, really? So I will try that. If this turns out to be the case I really think they should put something on the Support Forums page to that effect or shut it down completely, It is extremely misleading.
  • Total_War_VeteranTotal_War_Veteran Posts: 273Registered Users
    One of the reason why this can be happened is because under SEGA, CA sadly has to annually release a title each year (which maybe influenced by Activision or Ubisoft) so that the manpower needed to actually support and making content for older title are hard to do, even if CA itself wanted. I really hope CA one day will return to it's old self which always prioritize quality over quantity
    Full support for CA and CA_Ella
  • rad13rad13 Member Posts: 547Registered Users
    edited February 13
    Lesta, what's your logic behind assuming this is a Sega issue ?

Sega are the marketer and promoter for the game. Or more explicitly:

CA designed, developed (all levels - graphics, models, engine, physics, etc etc), tested the builds, worked on integration between builds and own the final production release.

Sega provide marketing support and a LOT of testing support which I gather is for linguistic and cross-compatibility support. Ie, CA test each build once; Sega test it many times for a global audience.

In what way does post-release support somehow fall to Sega ? They wouldn't have a single staff member that has actually written code for any part of this game.
  • Total_War_VeteranTotal_War_Veteran Posts: 273Registered Users
    rad13 said:

CA designed, developed (all levels - graphics, models, engine, physics, etc etc), tested the builds, worked on integration between builds and own the final production release.

Sega provide marketing support and a LOT of testing support which I gather is for linguistic and cross-compatibility support. Ie, CA test each build once; Sega test it many times for a global audience.

In what way does post-release support somehow fall to Sega ? They wouldn't have a single staff member that has actually written code for any part of this game.

Maybe he means, SEGA told CA to patch/support a title or to completely abandoned it and move to another project. That's make sense since CA has been bought by SEGA in 2006, so CA must listen and do what SEGA says.

Full support for CA and CA_Ella
    rad13 said:

https://help.sega.net/hc/en-us
    Here is the response from SEGA, which I add, even though automated is more than what CA has offered in over a week. So, we shall see.

Ticket #225724: After Tomb Kings patch / DLC my friend and I can no longer play multiplayer
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting SEGA Customer Support. Your request (#225724) has been received!

Our agents are on hand from 10AM to 7PM GMT-UK, Monday to Sunday (Bank Holidays included).

Response times may vary however we aim to respond to enquiries within 24 hours upon receipt.

To update or leave a comment on this ticket, please reply directly to this email. To review the status, please follow the link below:

http://support.sega.co.uk/hc/requests/225724

Best Regards,

SEGA Support
    Peterg13 said:

LestaT said:

Ok, really? So I will try that. If this turns out to be the case I really think they should put something on the Support Forums page to that effect or shut it down completely, It is extremely misleading.
    This is more direct link for your issue I believe.

https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115005028305-Game-Crashes-won-t-work-won-t-launch-FAQ
    rad13 said:

At the top and bottom of this very page (at least when using normal web browser) there's a Support button which links to SEGA.

Try that.
    LestaT said:
    I saw that. To be honest I can always uninstall and do a fresh install, which will do all of the things they say, but that sucks. I am computer literate, so going in and following those steps are fine for me, but I bet daunting for some.

I would think that they would want to know why something broke after the patch/ DLC.
    Peterg13 said:

LestaT said:
    I saw that. To be honest I can always uninstall and do a fresh install, which will do all of the things they say, but that sucks. I am computer literate, so going in and following those steps are fine for me, but I bet daunting for some.

I would think that they would want to know why something broke after the patch/ DLC.
    If online issue, maybe some mods incompatibility ? You may not be using any mods now but there could be some remnants of not properly deleted mod if you have use them last time which makes none can join you for some MP games because they're incompatible ?
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users
    edited February 13
    OP,

The only reason CA behaving like this is because they currently do not a competitor. It's taking it or leave it to approach. Here is a good paper about European vs American competition and self-regulation in business.
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 761Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team
    Have you contacted SEGA support about your issues? That should be the first port of call: https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-gb

It's also worth noting that I was talking specifically about bug reports. We don't ignore them - we log them and look into them. It's not being ignored. We just don't have someone able to respond to every thread.
    LestaT said:

Peterg13 said:

LestaT said:

If online issue, maybe some mods incompatibility ? You may not be using any mods now but there could be some remnants of not properly deleted mod if you have use them last time which makes none can join you for some MP games because they're incompatible ?
    Neither of us use mods.
    Grace_CA said:

Have you contacted SEGA support about your issues? That should be the first port of call: https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-gb

It's also worth noting that I was talking specifically about bug reports. We don't ignore them - we log them and look into them. It's not being ignored. We just don't have someone able to respond to every thread.

Someone responded! Awesome.

I now know, thanks to others in this thread, about looking to SEGA and have contacted SEGA, although, as I pointed out, that makes the Support Forum 100% misleading. Not only does this frustrate the end user, but is making CA look like they really do not care about us, at all. You should really post that all support be directed to SEGA. I would have contacted SEGA, and not posted this everywhere, a week ago had I known this.

Your statement rings true though, you do not have someone monitoring these forums. Post patch / DLC I could no longer play in MP. If that is not a bug I do not know what is.

Grace_CA I do appreciate that you at least took the time to look at and respond to this thread. I further hope that 1, you can afford to hire someone to be more active overall addressing real issues that are brought up in these forums and 2, you clarify the purpose/ response with regards to the support forums.

Thank you.
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 761Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team
    Peterg13 said:

Grace_CA said:

Someone responded! Awesome.

I now know, thanks to others in this thread, about looking to SEGA and have contacted SEGA, although, as I pointed out, that makes the Support Forum 100% misleading. Not only does this frustrate the end user, but is making CA look like they really do not care about us, at all. You should really post that all support be directed to SEGA. I would have contacted SEGA, and not posted this everywhere, a week ago had I known this.

Your statement rings true though, you do not have someone monitoring these forums. Post patch / DLC I could no longer play in MP. If that is not a bug I do not know what is.

Grace_CA I do appreciate that you at least took the time to look at and respond to this thread. I further hope that 1, you can afford to hire someone to be more active overall addressing real issues that are brought up in these forums and 2, you clarify the purpose/ response with regards to the support forums.

Thank you.
    Yep - as I said earlier, the support forums are definitely something we're looking into making them easier to use both for us at CA and for the community. Taking your feedback on board.
    So in case anyone is interested. I have been in contact with SEGA as requested. They are following a completely useless checklist that details my hardware. I love how the first assumption is that I am to blame for the DLC breaking my game. I also have had a request in the support forum for the exact same info on my hardware, and at least, the saved game.

It has been 10 days and I am no further ahead.
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 483Registered Users
    The wheels of beurocracy turn very slowly.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,192Registered Users
    Peterg13 said:

So in case anyone is interested. I have been in contact with SEGA as requested. They are following a completely useless checklist that details my hardware. I love how the first assumption is that I am to blame for the DLC breaking my game. I also have had a request in the support forum for the exact same info on my hardware, and at least, the saved game.

I feel ur pain. Wh2 I was getting corrupted saves every 40 or so turns since launch. I just dropped the game, couldn't get any support. Went back to historical anyway, I just lost interest completely after the corruptions.
    Amazingly, this was fixed. Now it would have been nice to have a more swift response than loosing the game for a month, but eventually they did put forth a fix.

Hello,

Please delete the preference.script.txt file you will find at the following location:

Windows 7/ 8 and Win 10:

C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer 2\scripts

If you don't find the folder of "AppData" just search the Folder "Warhammer" with Ctrl +F will appear Warhammer.

In order to access this folder, please ensure that the option Show hidden files and folders is active:

Go to the Control Panel and enable Classic View
    Select Folder Options
    Select View
    From Advanced Settings enable locate Hidden files and folders.
    Select ‘Show hidden files and folders’
    Click Ok

This will then reset the settings option. Please try the game again and let us know how you get on.

Best Regards,

Nadim
    SEGA Customer Support
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 483Registered Users

Peterg13 said:

I feel ur pain. Wh2 I was getting corrupted saves every 40 or so turns since launch. I just dropped the game, couldn't get any support. Went back to historical anyway, I just lost interest completely after the corruptions.
    I was just reading your post and you mentioned that you where having corrupted save games. I know it’s another game but it still might be relevant, I had a similar problem with Skyrim. I had to delete the game then do a file search for Skyrim then delete all the files found. After that the problem was solved apparently when a game is deleted some files stay in the registers and cause all sorts of problems. Hope that helps.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 33,712Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2
    Kregen said:

Peterg13 said:

I was just reading your post and you mentioned that you where having corrupted save games. I know it’s another game but it still might be relevant, I had a similar problem with Skyrim. I had to delete the game then do a file search for Skyrim then delete all the files found. After that the problem was solved apparently when a game is deleted some files stay in the registers and cause all sorts of problems. Hope that helps.
    It's the way Steam works. If you delete a game via Steam it only removes the files that show in the Steam manifest as being part of the game for when it downloads it. This leaves in place any mods or corrupted files in the game folder, or anything in the Appdata folder which would include game settings and saves that may also be corrupted.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png