Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Any news?

LestaTLestaT Senior MemberPosts: 2,758Registered Users
Before or during the coming Chinese New Year?

Comments

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,055Registered Users
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that. They could be cheeky like that. I think we've basically exhausted any other innane and presumptuous topics we could talk about with what little info we have.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 2,758Registered Users
    Krunch said:

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. They could be cheeky like that. I think we've basically exhausted any other innane and presumptuous topics we could talk about with what little info we have.

CA may be busy for MWNL events now but there's also the Chinese Valentine's day next after the new year so maybe we can see some love then ?
  • Wtfah114Wtfah114 Posts: 64Registered Users
    Doubtful, judging by CA's usually pattern, February and march is going to be all about thrones, april and early may is probably all about Norsca and the accompany update to warhammer.
    Wtfah114 said:

Doubtful, judging by CA's usually pattern, February and march is going to be all about thrones, april and early may is probably all about Norsca and the accompany update to warhammer.

Never say never as this is the first time CA/SEGA actively trying to oenetrate the Chinese market. :)
  • the_real_weedthe_real_weed Member Posts: 210Registered Users
    edited February 16
    LestaT said:

Wtfah114 said:

Never say never as this is the first time CA/SEGA actively trying to oenetrate the Chinese market. :)
    Alongside the fact that we don´t know if CA really aim on the chinese market mainly (Shogun 2 also wasn´t for the japanese ) i don´t see any big news before E3. After E3 i think it will be advertised similar to Rome 2 (Rally Point etc.)

• AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 548Registered Users
    edited February 16
    We can safely assume that the summer will be focused on Three Kingdoms info, but I personally don't expect anything major until after ToB releases. I'd be surprised if we get any real news before then.
    LestaT said:

Wtfah114 said:

There's this big assumption that Three Kingdoms is geared towards the Chinese market, but a game's setting doesn't really have much to do with its audience - for instance, Medieval European settings dominated Japanese RPGs for decades and remain a staple of that genre, even for games that are never exported. As others have pointed out before, CA has never really done regional marketing pushes before - the Shogun games basically got zero marketing in Japan (not even language support) and are actually far, *far* less popular there than in the US & Europe, which are where the vast majority of Total War sales come from.

That said, Romance of the Three Kingdoms is so incredibly popular in China that just making a AAA game set during the time period is bound to make it popular there - Koei's games are proof of that. Though there might be some dissonance if CA winds up disregarding the mythical & fictional aspects of Romance in favor of a more historical approach.
  • MagicMonkey243MagicMonkey243 Posts: 134Registered Users
    How much longer before we get some more news via blog post or video? It's almost been two months since the last trickle of information ...
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door" - Milton Berle
  • TsiarTsiar Posts: 261Registered Users

How much longer before we get some more news via blog post or video? It's almost been two months since the last trickle of information ...

****, it's almost like they got another game coming out before Three Kingdoms or something!
    edited March 3
    Tsiar said:

****, it's almost like they got another game coming out before Three Kingdoms or something!
    That doesn't mean they can't give a hint ... or some more details. Nice try though ...
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 7,893Registered Users
    Information want to be discussed:

-How many factions?
    -Game-engine?
    -Historical or Romance?
    -Sieges

jamreal18 said:

-How many factions?
    -Game-engine?
    -Historical or Romance?
    -Sieges

I think the Romance/Fantasy aspect is vastly overstated. If you read CA's blog, they said that they hired their first historical advisor ... which means this title should be mostly historical in nature. Of course, some elements of the Romance can definitely blend in ... but CA was lauded this game as being their next major historical title for years.
    LestaT said:

Wtfah114 said:

I'm not sure that Chinese gamers are really interested in RTS games ... at least what I've seen thus far.

LestaT said:

Wtfah114 said:

I'm not sure that Chinese gamers are really interested in RTS games ... at least what I've seen thus far.
    Total War actually is pretty big in China. Been around at least since RTW as far as I know.
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Posts: 438Registered Users

LestaT said:

Wtfah114 said:

Alongside the fact that we don´t know if CA really aim on the chinese market mainly (Shogun 2 also wasn´t for the japanese ) i don´t see any big news before E3. After E3 i think it will be advertised similar to Rome 2 (Rally Point etc.)

THIS. I live in Japan and Shogun 2 is not even available in Steam! This surprised me a lot
    Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester
  • united84united84 Posts: 205Registered Users
    edited March 5
    Come on CA, I think TW3K deserves more info & news update considering it to be less than 1 year from release.
    To be precise, assuming release date is Sep 2018 (fall) it is around 7 more months before release. This is not a saga nor dlc but a major release and yet the silence is worrying.

At this point, we should at least be informed of the basic questions like :

1. Are there hybrid RPG/RTS elements in battle where heroes & lords are OP.
    2. Number of factions.
    3. General & unique mechanics.
    4. Detail on AI & Graphical improvements.
    5. Full DX12 support.
    6. Shared elements from Warhammer and other historical titles.

There are just too many Q & A to list them all but above are some examples.

A simple Q&A won't hurt nor affect ToB's hype.

Even world of Warcraft BfA expansion has more info, artwork, changes, pre-order etc considering similar release date. I just hope this TW3K won't be another Rome 2 ripoff.

• MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,432Registered Users
    The silence is perfectly normal, particularly when there are so many other things to talk about.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • chainsawddchainsawdd Posts: 146Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

-How many factions?
    -Game-engine?
    -Historical or Romance?
    -Sieges

It will be "historical" in most players' eyes. Only experts can tell the parts of Romance. Thus, no worry.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 7,893Registered Users
    Since CA said they used motion captures to capture animations, I expect they look forward more to Real-Time Battles this time.

New animations when several units clash, new animations prior to sieges, unit collision, etc...
    jamreal18 said:

Since CA said they used motion captures to capture animations, I expect they look forward more to Real-Time Battles this time.

New animations when several units clash, new animations prior to sieges, unit collision, etc...

Honestly, I really hope they can fix those god-awful unit collisions in the previous Total War games ... but given the recent turn of events, I have very low expectations.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,572Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

They have had all that in previous games. Not sure why you would expect it to make a difference in this new one.

We have had real time battles since day 1. Also not a clue where you think all of a sudden we get it