Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Extremely interesting documentary for those wanting to learn Chinese military history

FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,275Registered Users
I am trying to focus on it myself to get ready for the game. Im a European military history nerd, and I have no knowledge on Asia EXCEPT samurai military history which I am quite knowledgeable on. So I'm trying to learn Chinese history. Can't speak to the accuracy if this doc, but its def an awesome learning tool if you aren't able to get books. Check it out. Any Asian experts correct me if this docu is inaccurate as many are. Not trying to spread false info.

Comments

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,064Registered Users
    edited March 8
    Just watch Three Kingdoms(2010 tv series) and you would enjoy it for sure. Lots of men fighting just like total war and you will become familiarize on characters.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,275Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Just watch Three Kingdoms(2010 tv series) and you would enjoy it for sure. Lots of men fighting just like total war and you will become familiarize on characters.

Its not corny? I thought it was like bad filming and acting, ECT. Its a good show? If so, ill check it out
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 471Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

Enjoyable but not very accurate though. Everybody wears black armor and nobody has a single crossbow.
  • MagicMonkey243MagicMonkey243 Posts: 134Registered Users
    Here's a very good (and long) documentary about the great Daming palace of the Tang Dynasty
    https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=167&v=SoSIpWbqS60
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door" - Milton Berle
  • KhrasarKhrasar Posts: 3Registered Users
    Three Kingdoms are of late Han Dynasty. And this is the era where the Art of War is used prominently on both battlefield and politics. It is an era of deceptions, treachery, tyranny, heroism, and cultural development.

Though the most popular stories are from the fictional novel written by Luo Guanzong. I personally like it best than the historical ones, as they are more interesting with notable lords and heroes. I do not know much of the real history of whole Han dynasty, though the early Han os the time where Sun Tzu became famed.
    Thanks guys. If anyone knows any other Chinese military history docs, please share. Can't find many
  • MagicMonkey243MagicMonkey243 Posts: 134Registered Users
    edited March 13

Thanks guys. If anyone knows any other Chinese military history docs, please share. Can't find many

Here's one about the Han-Xiongnu war ... deals with the conquests of Wudi's two best cavalry generals, Huo Qubing and Wei Qing

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door" - Milton Berle

Here's one about the Han-Xiongnu war ... deals with the conquests of Wudi's two best cavalry generals, Huo Qubing and Wei Qing

Awesome thanks monkey!
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 471Registered Users
    edited March 15

I am trying to focus on it myself to get ready for the game. Im a European military history nerd, and I have no knowledge on Asia EXCEPT samurai military history which I am quite knowledgeable on. So I'm trying to learn Chinese history. Can't speak to the accuracy if this doc, but its def an awesome learning tool if you aren't able to get books. Check it out. Any Asian experts correct me if this docu is inaccurate as many are. Not trying to spread false info.

Very interesting documentary. Has some problems with sweeping generalizations but great documentary overall. The discussion at 1:05:30 about the 22 foot pikes used by the Qin is especially interesting.
    Post edited by Intranetusa on

Very interesting documentary. Has some problems with sweeping generalizations but great documentary overall. The discussion at 1:05:30 about the 22 foot pikes used by the Qin is especially interesting.
    Yeah I figured thered be some of those lol. Yeah I loved that, and the part about the great wall was good to. But I was really surprised how much info they had on army organization and army logistics/gear. It was awesome. Now I'm hooked on Chinese military history...even more than the samurai obsession I have...the east is really such a new world to explore