Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Increase performance tweak

kmansp38kmansp38 Registered Users Posts: 115
edited March 12 in Performance & Graphics
Came across this on reddit for Attila. I was very skeptical, but it was definitely a noticeable performance increase in battles, so I gave it a shot in warhammer 2 as well. So obviously, follow the below directory only instead of attila go to warhammer2 folder, and then scripts.

Go to C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Attila\scripts and open preferences.script.txt. From there you have to search for number_of_threads 0 and replace that 0 with the amount of threads your CPU has. I have a Ryzen 1700 so I put in 16. If you have, say, Intel 7700, pop in 8. Ryzen 1500 and you can pop in 12 and so forth

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/7c77w2/tw_attila_performance_tweaks/

Battle performance seems MUUUUCH better, like pre ME patch better on warhammer 2. What I was noticing before in both Attila and Warhammer 2 is that performance would be solid at the beginning of a battle, and then as both armies got closer to each other, the framerate would drop dramatically in to the 40's. It was far worse in Attila.

It's almost like the preference script/game doesn't recognize the CPU threads for some reason, so with 0 it defaults to a lower thread count. This is why I think the alt tabbing, task manager and changing cores thing works for some.

This does work well for all TW games, btw. I went and tried it with Attila, which I think doesn't recognize newer processors, so it defaults to a lower thread count. Just a guess. I went from 30s/40's during 20v20 active battles to low 50's. Still sucks IMO, but better than it was.

This does not solve FPS issues on the campaign map; I think those are more tied to Graphics card. On my below setup with a 1060, the framerate is low 50's at the beginning of a campaign with SSAO on around the vortex. On my other setup with a 1070, it hovers around 60-61. When the map expands out on either setup, framerates drop dramatically as the campaign progresses, around high 30's and low 40's. It's particularly bad around the wood elf area and mountain region just between the empire and orc desert area for some reason.

i7 7700K 4.7 Ghz
Nvidia 1060 6GB
16 GB Ram
500GB SSD
Windows 10
Post edited by kmansp38 on

Comments

• kmansp38kmansp38 Registered Users Posts: 115
    Also, sieges can be a mixed bag, but I'm nost sure if this is due to custom siege maps I have via mods. It might be pathfinding issues. Not sure yet.
    i7 7700K 4.7 Ghz
    Nvidia 1060 6GB
    16 GB Ram
    500GB SSD
    Windows 10
  • HuntingDogHuntingDog Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,413
    I have been using thread count = 8 for my 7700K in Attila and it raised especially minimum framerates by up to 20%. In Shogun 2, it also helped. Rome 2 I didn't really play so I can't say.

At the release of TW-WH1 and TW-WH2, I tried the same setting but didn't find any advantage, it actually performed slightly worse than on auto.

I have to check again in WH2, maybe something changed in one of the patches and it now improves framerates/frametimes but I didn't really notice any big performance impact of any patches in WH2 yet.
    WH1 5K gallery: https://www.smugmug.com WH1
    WH2 5K gallery: https://www.smugmug.com WH2
    2x1080TI@1820Mhz, 7700K@5Ghz, 32GB RAM@3200Mhz, Win10
    Interesting. For me on both of my systems, the biggest difference I noticed is when armies clashed in WH2. Without editing the preferences.script, framerates would dip to low 50's, sometimes 40's and there would be a lot of "yo-yo" effects in framerates. After editing the preferences script, I noticed during the same exact battle clashes the framerate would stay around 71/72, and rarely dipped below 60. I tried it with SSAO on in this scenario, settings mostly on ultra- I still turned shadows down to high and left unlimited memory unchecked.

Sadly, this didn't have any effect on the campaign map when it opens up, nor did it really matter with sieges. I think sieges are having issues with pathfinding and unit clumping, but it might be the custom maps downloaded via mods. I still need to experiment on that one.
    i7 7700K 4.7 Ghz
    Nvidia 1060 6GB
    16 GB Ram
    500GB SSD
    Windows 10
    edited March 13
    As I continue to test this, I still see overall better performance- I can keep closer to 60 fps or higher. It dips less below 60 than before editing preference.script.

But it seems to dip to low 50fps when playing as certain factions such as wood elves and bretonnia in battle. I can put in the same exact amount of units, but slightly less performance.

Also, using mods such as steel faith dip framerates more because there are units added to skaven and greenskin armies.
    i7 7700K 4.7 Ghz
    Nvidia 1060 6GB
    16 GB Ram
    500GB SSD
    Windows 10
  • hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,701
    Cant see this working.

If this worked ca would be forcing it by default...

Placebo effect 100%
  • HuntingDogHuntingDog Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,413

Cant see this working. If this worked ca would be forcing it by default.... Placebo effect 100%

Sounds reasonable but if everything CA does would be perfect, then we had no bugs and performance problems ;) Sadly, CA and TW games have a history of multi-threading/CPU usage problems.

Setting the 'number of threads' manually to 8 (for 4 core Intel CPUs with hyperthreading enabled) actually helps in Attila (also verifiable by the built-in benchmark).

Therefore I wouldn't dismiss this. But as said before, I didn't find any benefit in WH games when they were released but haven't tested any recent build.

WH1 5K gallery: https://www.smugmug.com WH1
    WH2 5K gallery: https://www.smugmug.com WH2
    2x1080TI@1820Mhz, 7700K@5Ghz, 32GB RAM@3200Mhz, Win10

Cant see this working.

If this worked ca would be forcing it by default...

Placebo effect 100%

You might be right. I did a lot of custom battle testing, and I don't know why, but custom battles run flawlessly compared to battles in the campaign. I can't explain why, because I set up custom battles almost identically to campaign battles, using 20v20 even. Yet campaign battles don't behave the same performance wise.

It definitely works with Attila- I saw a huge improvement, it still runs like crap overall.

With Warhammer 2, I dunno. It's hard to say. I'm very frustrated with performance in WH2.
    i7 7700K 4.7 Ghz
    Nvidia 1060 6GB
    16 GB Ram
    500GB SSD
    Windows 10
  • gekjgekj Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 105
    edited April 3
    100% placebo since the game don't really use more than 2 core

theire is no magic trick to increase performance except upgrade the hardware or lower the graphic options.
  • IncendioIncendio Registered Users Posts: 32
    In that case, can you please explain me which hardware is good enough for Attila Total War?.

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file