Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer + Three Kingdoms = ?

makar55makar55 Posts: 1,786Registered Users
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
Cathay for Warhammer owners as preorder bonus of Three Kingdoms?

Comments

• HappyBoomerHappyBoomer Posts: 87Registered Users
  • makar55makar55 Posts: 1,786Registered Users

no

Why so? Will not it help people who are not interested in historical games to get into them? Also it will please people asking for Cathay.
  • SerkeletSerkelet Member Posts: 353Registered Users
    Would we awesome :). BUT it would only happen if Warhammer 3 was released before Three Kingdoms, I think... So not happening, unfortunately.
    Serkelet said:

Would we awesome :). BUT it would only happen if Warhammer 3 was released before Three Kingdoms, I think... So not happening, unfortunately.

They can always add a spot on the map, if they want, like expedition for Vortex and similar for ME.
  • MeanSonOfAGunMeanSonOfAGun Posts: 449Registered Users
    makar55 said:

no

Why so? Will not it help people who are not interested in historical games to get into them? Also it will please people asking for Cathay.
    So you think people who are not interested in historical titles are kinda disabled and need help getting into historical games? Whoa, good luck with that. :)

On a more serious note: Making people buy a game they don‘t nessessarely want to get additional TWW content appears to me as the worst idea ever.
  • karge068karge068 Senior Member Posts: 1,235Registered Users
    makar55 said:

Serkelet said:

They can always add a spot on the map, if they want, like expedition for Vortex and similar for ME.
    Albion confirmed.

makar55 said:

no

So you think people who are not interested in historical titles are kinda disabled and need help getting into historical games? Whoa, good luck with that. :)

On a more serious note: Making people buy a game they don‘t nessessarely want to get additional TWW content appears to me as the worst idea ever.
    I don't think it works like that. For example, Norsca. If you preordered TWWH2 you got them "for free". But if you didn't want to buy the second game, you could buy the DLC separately for just the first game.

Now do the parallels.
  • KronusXKronusX Posts: 1,361Registered Users
    Serkelet said:

makar55 said:

no

I don't think it works like that. For example, Norsca. If you preordered TWWH2 you got them "for free". But if you didn't want to buy the second game, you could buy the DLC separately for just the first game.

Now do the parallels.
    There is a huge difference between pre-order for a Warhammer game and pre-order of a bonus faction of Warhammer if you buy a completely different total war game. That would certainly cause a riot. It would be the equivalent of ''Buy Three Kingdoms, get Rome 2 DLC for free''. Tell me if you see something wrong with that ad.
    KronusX said:

Serkelet said:

makar55 said:

no

Now do the parallels.
    There is a huge difference between pre-order for a Warhammer game and pre-order of a bonus faction of Warhammer if you buy a completely different total war game. That would certainly cause a riot. It would be the equivalent of ''Buy Three Kingdoms, get Rome 2 DLC for free''. Tell me if you see something wrong with that ad.
    Not the topic. I also think it's not the best of the ideas. I was replying to the concept that people wouldn't be able to get a DLC unless they buy a game they don't like, and I repplied this is not how it works. People would still be able to just purchase the DLC.
  • FEARtheMooseFEARtheMoose Junior Member Posts: 136Registered Users
    Could someone kindly explain what this obsession with Cathay is? What even is Cathay and why are people so obsessed with it?

Could someone kindly explain what this obsession with Cathay is? What even is Cathay and why are people so obsessed with it?

I think it is all about fans of chinese culture.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,588Registered Users

A human kingdom, greater and older then Empire, far in the east.
    http://warhammer-fb.narod.ru/
    http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cathay

------Red Dox
  • FEARtheMooseFEARtheMoose Junior Member Posts: 136Registered Users
    makar55 said:

I think it is all about fans of chinese culture.
    I am not a fan of Chinese culture... and i'd still love to see Cathay in the game.
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 2,050Registered Users
    Only if ToB gives us Albion.
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
    Sephlock said:

Only if ToB gives us Albion.

That'd be great too.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,893Registered Users
    They're Chinese. If you have an interest in China then there's a good possibility you're interested in Cathay as well.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • SudoKnightlyNonsenseSudoKnightlyNonsense Posts: 1,818Registered Users

Weaboos mainly, Cathay is next to nothing in the lore and CA would have to pull a lot out of their hats for it to work. The most Cathay really did for the setting is get stomped by the Lizardmen without the Lizardmen losing a single "person," not to mention that Cathay is just a bunch of Chinese/Japanese stereotypes and unaltered mythology pieces slapped together. They are a placholder faction, nothing more: on a painting they'd be a single speck in the corner.

Besides, we've had plenty of Cathay threads already: the map won't be big enough to fit them.

Weaboos mainly, Cathay is next to nothing in the lore and CA would have to pull a lot out of their hats for it to work. The most Cathay really did for the setting is get stomped by the Lizardmen without the Lizardmen losing a single "person," not to mention that Cathay is just a bunch of Chinese/Japanese stereotypes and unaltered mythology pieces slapped together. They are a placholder faction, nothing more: on a painting they'd be a single speck in the corner.

Besides, we've had plenty of Cathay threads already: the map won't be big enough to fit them.
    Quite insultingly dismissive towards people who would like to see Cathay in the game, aren't you?
  • VladoffVladoff Posts: 54Registered Users
    makar55 said:

I think this is a good idea. Some people believe that Cathay can be the main faction (+ CD, Orges and demons). I read a lot of comments from people who do not want to see Сatay as the main faction. I understand why they want it, although I do not support it. So it seems to me that the game with 4 races of demons in the beginning is not the best solution. As the 4th main race, you can take Kislev (There will be less discontent).
     I want to see the eastern countries in the game. Katay is not only an interesting race, but also an opportunity to increase the number of representatives of other races (such as all elves, skavens, dwarves, animals, Dogs of War (yes, I believe that we will see them in the second game)).
    Regarding the size of the map ME2.0 - it is always possible to increase or remove individual lands on separate maps (Recall empire total war). The main map of the game can also accommodate Katai and other races. So it happened that I now have a lot of free time and I decided to try to draw a map for the third game such as I would like to see it. Maybe later I'll upload it to the forum. Or maybe not.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Posts: 527Registered Users
    Serkelet said:

Quite insultingly dismissive towards people who would like to see Cathay in the game, aren't you?
    It's ok, it's a typical anti-cathay attitude. Not surprising
  • 4uk4ata4uk4ata Posts: 897Registered Users

I wouldn´t honestly call it an obsession, as there aren´t THAT many people hollering for it. A lot of people think it would be nice, but I think I´ve seen more diehard Chaos Divided fans.

Basically, Cathay is a big human empire based on mythical China (shocking, isn´t it) that is to the east of the Mountains of Mourn. Since it is expected that game 3 will take place roughly in that region, there are some people who believe that it would be a great opportunity to introduce Cathay, and that it would make the game that much more popular in China and possibly southeast Asia as well.

Also, as far as I am aware, weebs are Japanese culture fanboys, and Cathay is very clearly Not-China; Not-Japan is Nippon, winning the my personal award for least imaginative name. So no, pushing for Cathay does not make you a weeb, but a ... wait, do we have a derogatory term for Sinophiles?

Land is Kislev, Kislev is Land! We are Kislev!

Proud Elspeth von Draken partisan
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,588Registered Users
    edited March 2018

Because you know already what will be
    • the game#3 campaign map?
    • the new combo map?
    I mean nobody anticipated so much land coverage for Vortex map, but here we are.

You really want to bet that only the Dark Lands will form the game#3 map and CA is not being capable of going east a little further to add Cathay? I mean Cathay right there *is* a powerplayer for the worldmap. Not something like some Albion savages barely knowing to make steel or naked jungle babes who have not even a real placement on the ingame map ;)

------Red Dox
  • VladoffVladoff Posts: 54Registered Users
    Stop. I think I've forgotten how to read. I thought that you were talking about Total War Warhammer 3, but you were talking about 3 kingdoms. My answer is no. Different series of games will not communicate this way. I would not want to get this DLS this way.
  • baronblackbaronblack Posts: 3,202Registered Users
    Having Interconnected DLC pre-orders is a way to ruin your own marketing. Cathay is not three Kingdoms China, and they should be separated products.
    The appeal should be focused on: if you don't like Historical China and want something more fantastic, play Cathay in WH3.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 6,094Registered Users
    makar55 said:

Three Kingdoms is due out in the second half of this year.

Cathay shouldn't even be a possibility until TWW3 due to its geographical location, and TWW3 isn't expected until next year at the earliest. (The gap between TWW1 and TWW2 was about a year and a half, and we've been told the gap between 2 and 3 will be larger).

There's basically no way that Cathay could be made a preorder for TW:3K, since the game that you'd need to play Cathay won't be out when TW:3K releases. (And it's not like Norsca, which was already on the map as a placeholder faction.)
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Posts: 1,320Registered Users
    Draxynnic said:

makar55 said:

Three Kingdoms is due out in the second half of this year.

Cathay shouldn't even be a possibility until TWW3 due to its geographical location, and TWW3 isn't expected until next year at the earliest. (The gap between TWW1 and TWW2 was about a year and a half, and we've been told the gap between 2 and 3 will be larger).

There's basically no way that Cathay could be made a preorder for TW:3K, since the game that you'd need to play Cathay won't be out when TW:3K releases. (And it's not like Norsca, which was already on the map as a placeholder faction.)
    Basically this.

Three Kingdoms comes out way before Warhammer 3, so there's no way to add Cathay at that time.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Posts: 790Registered Users
    Warhammer + Three Kingdoms = two completely separate games in completely different universes - even, to some degree, different target audiences.

Linking the two with promotions or preorder bonuses that cross in that way doesn't really make sense.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,311Registered Users
    Given how they are making the generals in 3K pretty much super heroes I'd say that game should already be renamed Total War: Cathay :-|
  • SudoKnightlyNonsenseSudoKnightlyNonsense Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    Red_Dox said:

Because you know already what will be
    • the game#3 campaign map?
    • the new combo map?
    I mean nobody anticipated so much land coverage for Vortex map, but here we are.

You really want to bet that only the Dark Lands will form the game#3 map and CA is not being capable of going east a little further to add Cathay? I mean Cathay right there *is* a powerplayer for the worldmap. Not something like some Albion savages barely knowing to make steel or naked jungle babes who have not even a real placement on the ingame map ;)

------Red Dox
    Because there were already issues that CA mentioned with the map size before, if they added Cathay to the campaign map Warhammer 3's grand campaign would have even more issues than Mortal Empires had at release.