Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Military and civic technology - Strat Clut

Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative AssemblyPosts: 773Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
edited April 17 in General Discussion
Military and civic technology has a place in Thrones of Britannia - find out more about it...

Post edited by Grace_CA on

Comments

• CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    edited March 13
    But how do you unlock these? The unlocking is the most interesting change.

I do like the big buffs that the tech gives though.

Does the ai have to meet the prerequisites to unlock the technology too?

Another side note. If you still have time, I would put a red background on the food upkeep icon Healthcare. Since it increases cost there should be a visual indicator.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,313Registered Users
    "Strat Clut technologies"? Does that mean Gwined has a different tech tree?
  • BlackenedLokiBlackenedLoki Junior Member Posts: 159Registered Users
    Agreed that these seem much more powerful which is good, especially if they have specific requirements to unlock. Seems to be a good reward for whatever the effort is?

To echo... The question definitely is, how do we obtain these?
    Yes, I am one of those people who liked Rome 2 and yes my opinion is still valid.
  • YarevYarev Senior Member Posts: 245Registered Users
    Nice, that means every faction gets a different tech tree
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his" George S. Patton
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,347Registered Users
    that 'church music' description is a doozy.

(a) I seriously doubt any chant in the history of all civilizations everywhere, up to maybe the 20th c., was 'monotonal,' i.e. sitting on one note that never changes. Chant was originally a heightened kind of 'performance speech' for delivery poetry, religious texts, etc, and would have had, from the beginning, all the inflections and pitch changes associated with that. Gregorian chant, as would have been in use by this time, was definitely not monotonal either.

If you're looking to describe single-voice/single-melody unison singing, the word is 'monophonic' (one-sound), not 'monotonal' (one-note).

(b) Hymns would have already been a part of services. However, until much later than this period, they would have been in chant, not a distinct style.

(c) church music was beginning to evolve around this time, but the developments are mainly associated with France, and, again, didn't depart from chant-based styles for quite some time (look up 'parallel organum' if you want more on this).

(d) it sounds like you're trying to get at the concept of how more popular-style religious music was used to promote religion. This did happen (extensively), but it would have mainly been used outside of services in the context of e.g. religious instruction, festivals, etc. Wiki says carols started in the 12th c., but I'm sure there were predecessor genres.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 281Registered Users
    Is there a way to enlarge the screen?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 34,017Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    alstl said:

Click the pic, then click the magnifying glass.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 483Registered Users
    Like the look of this. One thing that I saw was +15% range for archers, I would prefer to see a buff to accuracy or rate of fire instead. I feel that a range buff needs to come from first an improved bow and then training to use it. Could be a change from using hunting bows to the use of war bows would be better for a range buff, training for an improvement to accuracy and rate of fire.
  • jcampbell911jcampbell911 Senior Member Posts: 214Registered Users
    alstl said:

Or right click and save as download. Gets you the high-def image
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users
    Good design and love the idea of technologies being locked.
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Posts: 108Registered Users
    i look at the 'Master Spearmen' tech; i wonder - in a setting dominated by infantry shield on shield warfare - will spearmen have an actual use?

================================================================================================================================

appeal to CA:

skirmish related (applicable for historical titles):
    new innovations in the ToB campaign look very promising! skirmish need that kind of revamp too!
    pls, dont overemphasize unit r/p/s counter-matching as the hierarchical confluence of all decision making
    - ! make unit formations (and perhaps abilities) great again! (charlemagne)
    - ! same with LoS system! (tw:arena/UG:CivilWars)
    - ! same with terrain (ridges) (tw:arena/shogun2/UG:CivilWars)
    you've already made the tools!
    just make use of them!

menu related (mp skirmish lobby):
    * add "large army" option to quickmatch pls!
    * have "large army" settings be tagged visually in lobby selector (so that all players have easier time in lobby select)
    * pls introduce scheduled rank resets to quickmatch as means to repress unsportsmanlike conduct related to stat fetishism
    * enable shared team funds (sum == opposition funds irrespective of player count) that all members can (optionally) submit to that facilitate the setup of uneven teams

campaign related:
    + kudos for adding a basic supply system to the ToB campaign
    * for a much more elegant way of addressing autoresolve of not so decisive battles and how armies reinforce each other mount and blade's marshal system could b a fitting reference. mbe there is a way to integrate the marshal concept in one way or the other
    -or-
    * instead of imposing a hard cap of 20 units per army introduce a more organic approach of having lower ranking officers command ~ 10/15 units at max and higher ones up to ~ 40 (with supply, replenishment and all considered)
    * * reinforcing armies in this case would trickle in so a count of 40 intact units is kept rather than exceed 40+ units
    * dynamic quest/notification-event system (may b interesting for 3 kings)

+ thx for addressing spaghetti lines
    + kudos for adding a basic supply system to the ToB campaign

• Tier1: Shogun 2 / Wh 2 / Warhammer
    • Tier2: Age of Charlemagne / Napoleon
    • Tier3: Attila / Medieval 2 / Rome
    • Accident: Rome II

• pending: ToB is yet to b acquired
    • pending: Three Kings not been released yet
    "Furthermore i am of the opinion, that the current Unit Count(20) must be lifted!!"

Team Shadowgave
    Team Cao Wei
    pop survey on tw skirmish battles
    (add ur opinion in the comments if you will; not meant for serious discussion in the forums though)

wu xing graph
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 79Registered Users

i look at the 'Master Spearmen' tech; i wonder - in a setting dominated by infantry shield on shield warfare - will spearmen have an actual use?

Spears were cheap to use and equip armies with. Also according to this website spears were the most common weapon of Viking Age.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,202Registered Users
    Spears were the most common weapon of almost all pre-gunpowder eras. The problem lies in the context of TW where Spearmen are inferior to swordsmen of the same type. The only TW game to properly have Spears be better than swords in a frontal engagement as far as I can tell is rather ironically TW:Arena, where they will beat any infantry when in Phalanx formation.
  • Octavius_5Octavius_5 Senior Member Posts: 262Registered Users
    One note about the range increase tech. Since this is based on Attila which is in turn based on Rome 2 please check that the range increase effect is actually working. It didn't work right in Rome 2 or Attila initially. In the power and politics patch for Rome 2 it was partially fixed but not enough to get it to work in an actual battle. For this effect to work right it will need fixed from the Attila base behavior and it will also need to go further than the Rome 2 changes because those didn't end up actually fixing the issue either.
  • BolshevikBolshevik Posts: 93Registered Users
    I want real time battles as soon as possible. I want this game to succeed but I'm worried so far about what I'v seen.

ABOVE: Soviet officer Alexey Yeremenko leads his men into combat. He was killed seconds after this photo was taken near Voroshilovgrad, Ukraine - July 12, 1942.

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bolshevik-/
    Kregen said:

Like the look of this. One thing that I saw was +15% range for archers, I would prefer to see a buff to accuracy or rate of fire instead. I feel that a range buff needs to come from first an improved bow and then training to use it. Could be a change from using hunting bows to the use of war bows would be better for a range buff, training for an improvement to accuracy and rate of fire.

I believe in other games like Attila as missile units gain experience they improve accuracy. Higher range than the enemy can be big if you are smart about how you use your archers.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 1,817Registered Users
    CnConrad said:

Another side note. If you still have time, I would put a red background on the food upkeep icon Healthcare. Since it increases cost there should be a visual indicator.

Some info here on unlocking (titles misplaced by the looks):

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-britannia-technology-tree
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 843Registered Users
    twwatcher said:

CnConrad said:

Yeah, I feel something it's misplaced in this blog.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    edited March 14

Spear
    twwatcher said:

CnConrad said:

Thanks
  • twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 1,817Registered Users
    In this thread on reddit Jack elaborates on the locks effecting the factions in different ways:

The main way the tech tree varies between factions in Thrones is in terms of the unlocks. Take the Community line of techs, to unlock those upgrade the Monastery chain or one of its variants, or conquer a settlement with the top tier version of one of those buildings in it. As Mide for example easy, your capital has the St Ciaran chain as its main building so unlocking that tech line is simple. But for a faction like West Seaxe it's a lot harder. The only Monastic settlements are in Ireland and Scotland, so far away from where you start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/84d4cx/thrones_of_britannia_tech_trees/
  • norseaxenorseaxe Posts: 388Registered Users
    this all looks great can't wait till april 19th, also can't wait for some Viking factions :) :) :)
    twwatcher said:

In this thread on reddit Jack elaborates on the locks effecting the factions in different ways:

The main way the tech tree varies between factions in Thrones is in terms of the unlocks. Take the Community line of techs, to unlock those upgrade the Monastery chain or one of its variants, or conquer a settlement with the top tier version of one of those buildings in it. As Mide for example easy, your capital has the St Ciaran chain as its main building so unlocking that tech line is simple. But for a faction like West Seaxe it's a lot harder. The only Monastic settlements are in Ireland and Scotland, so far away from where you start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/84d4cx/thrones_of_britannia_tech_trees/
    I like the new system. It reminds me of something I read about Genghis Khan when he invaded Persia. The Persians thought they could be safe inside their walled cities because their previous contacts with the Mongols was with nomadic, uneducated cavalry incapable of building siege engines. Unfortunately for the Persians the Mongols had conquered China and Genghis Khan spared artisans and made them part of his army or sent them back to Mongolia. He had Chinese engineers with him.

He gained the technology by capturing the area where the technology existed and enlisting the engineers. Genghis Khan was a fascinating character. Extremely violent sociopath on the one hand but very smart in other ways. He also had an early version of the pony express to exchange messages with his distant armies quickly.