Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War Piracy Aware

BlackSpartaBlackSparta Registered Users Posts: 5
just want to ask, is it ok to download cracked old total war games like rome total war? i mean downloading the cracked version not cracking it with the game keys, i have just asked the dev but still no response from them, what do the developer say about this? is they aware and allow they games to be played for free and buy the game for supporting game? if someone have classic rome total war, can you guys give me one? i really want to play

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 7,230
    Stealing isn't okay.
    Things that must be known:
    • The Ogres are a settled race, not a horde.
    • Demons should be 1 race, as per their army book
    • Total Warhammer 2 is superior to Total Warhammer 1
    • There is a big old stack of DLC / Large FLC coming after Norsca
    • The Ogres are going to eat your faction, and its throne.
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 883
    edited April 4
    If you bought this game once and can't find your copy or similar - yes it is ok to use "free" version.

If you have IOS and interested in ROME - go get it for your phone instead of PC, maybe you will find it more comfortoable.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users Posts: 7,980
    Those games are still available on Steam, I believe, and therefore able to be purchased legally. Therefore people should buy it if they want to play it.
  • EK5000EK5000 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 153
    I'm confused, why would you go through the trouble of downloading a cracked game only to buy it anyways?

The "classics" are 8 bucks on Steam...
  • SudoKnightlyNonsenseSudoKnightlyNonsense Registered Users Posts: 1,540
    The Collection Edition is literally $10 USD on Steam, if you really want to save cash then wait for a sale.
  • perpetualdarknessperpetualdarkness Chicago, IllinoisRegistered Users Posts: 141

Is this op for real? You dont come on the official forum asking that... you filthy pirating scumbag this is why everything is so expensive coz we pay extra for people like you

Team Lizardmen
  • BountyhunterukBountyhunteruk Registered Users Posts: 76

Is this op for real? You dont come on the official forum asking that... you filthy pirating scumbag this is why everything is so expensive coz we pay extra for people like you

Actually I'm with Hurricane501 on this. Going onto the official website and asking if stealing the IP of the Dev's is OK is astonishingly misguided at best.

The poster is either purposefully trolling, or, honestly, has little clue as to what piracy is, and what the actions of piracy support (or don't support, as is this case).
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users Posts: 7,980
    Eh, I dunno, but asking at least allows someone to say that it shouldn't be done.
  • GimblobGimblob Registered Users Posts: 192
    Yarr matey, real pirates drink rum and sail the seven seas. Don't steal games, because that makes you a thief, not a badass pirate. Yarrrrrhhh
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 6,636

Actually I'm with Hurricane501 on this. Going onto the official website and asking if stealing the IP of the Dev's is OK is astonishingly misguided at best.

The poster is either purposefully trolling, or, honestly, has little clue as to what piracy is, and what the actions of piracy support (or don't support, as is this case).
    And he is ask that in Total War: Warhammer General Discussion instead in Total War General Chat.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 1,255
    Here are a few cases in which it is MORALY right to pirate games:
    - old games that are not available anymore
    - games that are not available in your area (region locked)
    - a game that you own but you lost the key/cd or it was destroyed
    - a new game in a series came out, you haven`t played the previous title but you wanna check it out to a degree to then decide wether or not to buy the new game IF NEITHER HAS A DEMO

Right now, you can get Total War Rome and all the other old total war games, REGULARILY on sales for a super low price....seriously a SUPER low price.

There is no justification for you to pirate these games under those circumstances.

The Rome Total War COLLECTION on Steam right now WITHOUT a sale is 10 bucks (in my region its 5 bucks, cause I work in Thailand) and on sales it goes down to like 2-3 bucks with 75% reductions and more.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 2,948
    No. That would be stealing, despite what the likes of Kim Dotcom may have thought.

Although I almost admire the barefaced cheek of coming on their official forum to ask about it.

Almost.

edited April 4

- a new game in a series came out, you haven`t played the previous title but you wanna check it out to a degree to then decide wether or not to buy the new game IF NEITHER HAS A DEMO

Neither of these are okay. You are absolutely not allowed to steal a game to "try it out" nor are you allowed to steal a game because it's region locked.
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,128
    Wait, so you're asking if it's ok to pirate the game? It isn't. The only thing that's ok I believe is downloading a no-cd crack if you actually own a physical copy of the game.
    My Total War wishlist:

1: Reformation: Total War
    2: Victoria: Total War
    3: Dark Age: Total War
  • BlackSpartaBlackSparta Registered Users Posts: 5
    Ok then, so does anyone knows how to get total war games for free legally?
  • NazredNazred Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 877
    edited April 4

Neither of these are okay. You are absolutely not allowed to steal a game to "try it out" nor are you allowed to steal a game because it's region locked.
    well if it is region locked who fault is it then?
    Nazred said:

well if it is region locked who fault is it then?
    Companies do not have to sell their products worldwide. If a company chooses to not sell a product in your region it is its right. You have no right to steal, period.
  • Horus38Horus38 Registered Users Posts: 798
    Classic total war games are available on Steam for stupid cheap. Buying it there not only supports the dev, allows you to access it off the steam cloud (don't have to locate physical copies), and avoids any game bugs/issues from an illegal cracked source.
  • hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,834
    Horus38 said:

Classic total war games are available on Steam for stupid cheap. Buying it there not only supports the dev, allows you to access it off the steam cloud (don't have to locate physical copies), and avoids any game bugs/issues from an illegal cracked source.

I own rome 1 like 4 times on disc 4 times due yo collector sets and stuff and steam once.

Steam is just better all round

A birthday gift or something like that?
    My Total War wishlist:

dreagon said:

Lol this OP is so funny i mean wtf?

dreagon said:

Lol this OP is so funny i mean wtf?
    I'm getting more and more convinced he's just trolling.
    My Total War wishlist:

• BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 573
    This thread should probably just be shut down.

The answer to this is really simple - if you don't pay for it, you shouldn't have it.

That includes things like "demo-ing a product" (it is up to the developer whether or not a free demo is available), region locking (there are usually legal reasons for this) and even lost CDs (You can download older steam games with the serial number from the case, but if you have no proof of previous ownership, you are simply out of luck and have to purchase again).

Just as importantly, using cracked game codes perpetuates an underculture in the gaming community that hurts gaming in general through lost revenue and legitimizing the more nefarious game cracking behaviors (selling stolen codes, never paying for a game, etc). This hurts innovation in the industry and is something we should all be against.
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 777

Legally? Nu-uh. Unless CA or SEGA gives you a copy themselves, there's no way, no how.

Just get the old games on sale, dude. It'll be rediculously cheap. A Big Mac costs more than Rome 1 Gold Edition during a 70% sale.
  • WalrusWalrus Senior Member BrazilRegistered Users Posts: 1,077

Total War Kingdoms and Arena are free.
  • BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 180

Just curious but who is paying for the internet that you’re using to type this message?
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    Your best bet for total war on the cheap is to watch for bundles, I'm sure I've seen at least Rome if not medieval 2 in the $1 bundle tiers on humble

I agree that it's silly/in poor taste to go asking for a pirated game on an official forum but it's interesting to see how different attitudes are towards piracy nowadays. I still pirate things constantly but strictly as a demo system; as soon as I stop liking something I delete it, or if I catch myself thinking something like "I'll have to do x next play through" then I do the same thing and add it to my wishlist or just buy it

I wouldn't bother if developers still made demos, or if the refund window on steam had a more reasonable length (I'm supposed to get a feel for eu4 in two hours?), but my gaming money isn't unlimited and I'd rather spend it on games that I know I will play

Which is not to say I do it for everything either, certain series like total war or the endless games are universally solid and instant buys, but I generally won't buy a game just on the strength of previews or reviews anymore
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • ShaddShadd Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 311

Win them in a contest?
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,594
    If you can't afford to buy games like Total War, you'd probably not even have the computer to run it...

Given the nature of the question it seems OP wants to try the game out. Such a question would not occur if games these days have demos. Even Starcraft 2 has become free to play with some resctrictions, a sort of retroactively made into demo (well, parts of it).

But to answer the question, no there isn't a way. "Cracked" games by themselves circumvent normal game restrictions and the only real intention to use them is to avoid having to pay for the access via key or using Steam. Use of such software violates the EULA, which alone gives the developers ground to ban you. If CA wanted you to get the game for free, there wouldn't be such a thing as a crack for Rome: Total War, in fact it would be such a widely known fact that you'd never ask the question.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    Shadd said:

Win them in a contest?
    Lol funny you say that, i won medieval 2 in a twitch stream haha, i had cd copies but not a steam copy so was cool
This discussion has been closed.