Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So, is forest visibility ever going to get fixed?

Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior MemberPosts: 19,629Registered Users
edited April 2018 in General Discussion

So let me sum up all that is enjoyable about fights in forests. Nothing. Now let me sum up everything that isn't fun about it. Everything else.

So, colored rim outlines, placing at least the unit marker in front of the trees...ideas have been had, it's time this gets changed because fighting battles in which you can't see what's going on sucks.

Comments

• 42konyo42konyo Posts: 708Registered Users
    You probably already know this, but in case you don't or anyone else reading this, you can disable foliage by holding spacebar down in battles and unticking the foliage option, whenever you get close enough to trees their leaves will start to fade out until you move away from that spot.

But I completely agree even though battles in forests really look good even with foliage disabled the tree trunks themselves still block all vision, it's a nightmare to see what other units are doing and you're pretty much holding down the spacebar the whole battle to at least have some idea of what's going on.
    Imo a decent fix would be another option that permanently highlights all player/ai units since changing the foliage option to hide everything including the base of the trees would probably completely fix the problem but I highly doubt that that's even possible at least for this title.
  • AvadonAvadon Posts: 1,543Registered Users
    edited April 2018

So let me sum up all that is enjoyable about fights in forests. Nothing. Now let me sum up everything that isn't fun about it. Everything else.

So, colored rim outlines, placing at least the unit marker in front of the trees...ideas have been had, it's time this gets changed because fighting battles in which you can't see what's going on sucks.

This mortal known with "Commissar" within it's moniker...came up with an idea to have the outline of units highlighted.

Red for the enemy and yellowish gold for player controlled units.

I think it should go a step further than that with the full model highlighted with a colour that does stand out but is not blinding to most mortals (have to keep your kind some what happy I guess /shrug).

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,629Registered Users
    That screenshot it with the foliage off. Certain Lustria and Naggarond maps have very tall trees where defoliation does nothing.

• bhutchisonbhutchison Posts: 29Registered Users
    I can second this, even with foliage off, some of the battles are so difficult to see units (or click on enemies) that I sometimes autoresolve even with the horrible losses I should not take while AR'ing, just so I don't have to deal with trying to navigate a forest battle.
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Avadon said:

This mortal known with "Commissar" within it's moniker...came up with an idea to have the outline of units highlighted.

I think it should go a step further than that with the full model highlighted with a colour that does stand out but is not blinding to most mortals (have to keep your kind some what happy I guess /shrug).

Doesn't Total War: Arena already has something similar to "highlighting units in forests"?
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,629Registered Users
    edited April 2018

Yes it does and I already suggested introducing this to this game in a thread in the feedback forum. It's a simple post-processing effect so it shouldn't be all that hard. O yeah, and notice also that the unit UI is always in the foreground. I can't believe something simple as that hasn't occured to the devs.

• Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Posts: 2,941Registered Users
    We'll get it for game 3 lol.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 15,368Registered Users
    This is why I don't play forest maps. Even in forest maps I force it into the one bit of open ground.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,989Registered Users
    I didn't even know Arena had that. TW:W3 needs it. And every TW game henceforth.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • AvadonAvadon Posts: 1,543Registered Users
    sagranda2 said:

Avadon said:

Doesn't Total War: Arena already has something similar to "highlighting units in forests"?
    Hmmm it was implied with the "step further" deal of having the entire unit model coloured not just the outline...

• hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Only time i like forest maps is when im vrs a heavy range army and have none ranged myself lol. They are truly a pain in the ass
  • redburdredburd Posts: 61Registered Users
    I have a hard time seeing what is going on when the dark elves are lit up from r muderous mastery. So I’m not sure of the highlight bit. Even if they just sent made the forest ground green so you knew the edge of the forest it would be fine. The trees make it too hard to see what is going on.
  • Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Posts: 1,548Registered Users
    I had a case my HE cavalry models got stuck in Naggaroth. I am 200% sure those mammoths from Norsca updates will stuck in those forests too.

Here a vampire lord, a single model, actually got stuck. So he basically didn't join the fight with his army (see the mini-map) :D