Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Skaven (question)

DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
Hello warhammer inhabitants !

Well, I finally started my very very first Skaven campaign. I chose Queek headtaker, in mortal empires on hard/normal difficulty. Normally I play hard/hard, but since Queek start position is considered 'very hard' I thought I should play hard/normal.

Anyways, I was interested in some info concerning the Skaven. Here we go :

1. Night runners or Night runners slinger ?? with one is better overall ? Are they worth it to use them early in game ? or are they also considered a meat shield unit (and therefore not worth much more then just taking damage), only with the added effect of also having a range weapon ? The normal night runners, they have (way) less range, but more damage and fire while move. against the slinger variant who can't fire while move, BUT has more range but less damage. With unit does a better job ?

2. Does the skill 'ancient cunning' that increases ambush change for an army (lord skill tree) also effect for ambush chance in the stance 'stalk' ?? or does this only count in ambush stance itself ?

I would love to hear from you all :) !

Thanks !! I have still a lot to learn about Skaven, they are COMPLETELY different then I am used to !!! like, 100% different !
Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
Tagged:

Comments

• The_GoatbreederThe_Goatbreeder Posts: 54Registered Users
    1. I think the slingers are good in several match ups to combat ranged units especially but only a few is enough normally. The other version is good at kiting elite infantry which will never catch them, so you can focus on his other units.

2. Yes it does increase ambush chance in Stalk mode aswell. Always go for this skill as you will be almost guaranteed an ambush battle if you attack.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users

1. I think the slingers are good in several match ups to combat ranged units especially but only a few is enough normally. The other version is good at kiting elite infantry which will never catch them, so you can focus on his other units.

2. Yes it does increase ambush chance in Stalk mode aswell. Always go for this skill as you will be almost guaranteed an ambush battle if you attack.

Thank you very much !!

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

Let me take advantage of your knowledge if I may :) ,

Gutter runners ??? are they worth it ? I was surprised to see them so expensive !!! I am just at turn 19 now, and just unlocked them (again, never played skaven in any way before) 700+ to recruit, and 200 upkeep ! WOW !! ... they better do something then !

Would you recommend me using them ? if so, also later in game when money is no issue anymore ?

• The_GoatbreederThe_Goatbreeder Posts: 54Registered Users
    DarkLordD said:

Gutter runners ??? are they worth it ? I was surprised to see them so expensive !!! I am just at turn 19 now, and just unlocked them (again, never played skaven in any way before) 700+ to recruit, and 200 upkeep ! WOW !! ... they better do something then !

Would you recommend me using them ? if so, also later in game when money is no issue anymore ?
    Early to midgame I think night runners are enough but two gutter runners with poison in a doomstack later on works nicely for the most part. For a siege designated army I wouldnt use them though because I prefer mainly infantry.

DarkLordD said:

Early to midgame I think night runners are enough but two gutter runners with poison in a doomstack later on works nicely for the most part. For a siege designated army I wouldnt use them though because I prefer mainly infantry.

Do they kill themself pretty well ? or are they only weakening the enemy army with poison and lower there HP a bit before the main line clashes with them ???

• Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 2,113Registered Users
    Chameleon Skinks are the best...
  • hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Skaven ranged are not really there to kill bar the globadiers, they are built to kite and do it well, you just need to be careful of cav.

Their ranged can split up and kite slower infantry all day and actually whittle them down to nothing and cause them to flee.

Saurus warriors suck vrs skaven ranged when not supported by skinks, norscan units suck too and can be kited all day but sometimes trolls get you when the skirmish derps and just runs in to them...
  • funnessfunness Posts: 156Registered Users
    edited May 2018
    gutter runners can take on lots of normal infantry in melee also, as can night runners (not as well as gutter runners of course). So this and their firing makes me like them alot. I always get the 140 ranged ones! I have had NR and GRs kite many units after them, leaving the rest of the army to take on less units. and usually im able to have the NR or GRs eventually engage them in melee and win.

I would use GRs when you have them and replace the NRs, once you have GRs

Yes 'ancient cunning' works very well with all the other 'ambush' rules and it is a very skaven thing to work up to high levels.

Of course there is the "menace from below". Ive found that agaisnt TKs skele archers the summoned clan rats kinda suck at destroying them... but it can keep any archer unit retreating from the summoned unit. of course the clan rats are useful agasint goblin archers.

Or of course you can use it to rear charge already engaged units! or Artillery although again ive found it may take 2 summons to destroy arty.

Food, there are lots of posts on Skaven food. I will say that my last Queek campaign i played i actually had full food at turn 114, which is the first time Queek has ever not been starving! (of course i only had 7 settlements) But usually i think Queek will be starving!

I had small army, a couple units, raiding all the time, and when youre not in a hurry to get some where you can raid on your way there, or while beseiging a settle the other armies can be raiding while waiting to attack. (make sure you change them to normal move before attacking, so theyre not winded)

Just a couple of thoughts hopefully this helps

Post edited by BillyRuffian on