Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Angry Joe, Other Joe and Dogbert playing Thrones of Britannia

TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior MemberPosts: 7,138Registered Users
What it says on the tin

Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

Comments

• FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 2,969Registered Users
    This game looks mint!
    edited April 16
    Dogbert's expression as he watches Other Joe megafail that siege :D

Just want to say for the record that I give zero **** about all this "recycled Attila assets" malarkey. From first impressions, time and care has been put in where it matters: a faithful rendering of the historical period and some original mechanics to reflect that. Who cares if some dude has the same face as a game released 3 years back?

Also..... battles that aren't over practically the moment they've begun!
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 7,138Registered Users
    edited April 16
    Fredrin said:

I also was crinching a bit when AJ was fighting his battle... he sent his Axemen to intercept the cavalry and then charged his (iirc Elite) spearmen into the melee. I would've send the Spearmen to intercept the cav (or atleast relieve the Axemen) and then would've sent the Axemen around to attack the bound enemy units in theback. Then I'd use the Spearmen as reserve or guard for the archers... who I'd have open fire on the enemy archers.

Alternatively, I'd put the spears into the front, on the side, and have the General as Guard.
    Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

Fredrin said:

I also was crinching a bit when AJ was fighting his battle... he sent his Axemen to intercept the cavalry and then charged his (iirc Elite) spearmen into the melee. I would've send the Spearmen to intercept the cav (or atleast relieve the Axemen) and then would've sent the Axemen around to attack the bound enemy units in theback. Then I'd use the Spearmen as reserve or guard for the archers... who I'd have open fire on the enemy archers.

Alternatively, I'd put the spears into the front, on the side, and have the General as Guard.
    It honestly looked like he'd never played TW before :D

Funniest part was Dogbert's subtle and repeated reminders of "If your general dies, you're screwed y'know"
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 7,138Registered Users
    Fredrin said:

Fredrin said:

It honestly looked like he'd never played TW before :D

Funniest part was Dogbert's subtle and repeated reminders of "If your general dies, you're screwed y'know"
    to be fair, in ToB the General can only die after... I think 3/4 of his Guard have been killed :smile: But Joe did play TW Games before^^I'll attribute it to the fact that he's likely playing other types of games far more commonly^^

• HunorHunor Posts: 128Registered Users
    I see he played with Rome II. But Joe mostly introduced bugs and only criticized Rome .
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,432Registered Users
    I get the impression a significant proportion of the Total War player base play like that.

Which is why CA have to strike a careful balance between appeasing us historical nerds and making the game enjoyable for everyone else!
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
    Hunor said:

I see he played with Rome II. But Joe mostly introduced bugs and only criticized Rome .

He also played Empire iirc and I think even earlier, though not on Screen

• julius_civilisjulius_civilis Posts: 365Registered Users
    Quite painful to see Joe pretending he knows total war and that he's a veteran or something :')

I like Joe but I was itching the whole time during that first battle. Other joe never played total war so he gets a pass on this one.
    He did play atleast Rome II, Empire (atleast did a parodying video about it, and I think he might've done a bit more research than just looking at some reviews), Warhammer 1 and Warhammer iI

• HunorHunor Posts: 128Registered Users
    Whay nobody play as Wessex, or Mercia ?
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,432Registered Users
    When a build went out recently people were restriced to Strat Clut, Northumbria and Mide, I think. We've seen some Sea Kings since but the Anglo-Saxons have been kept under wraps.

Lionheart did play as Wessex at Rezzed but no sign of campaign game play. Perhaps they're still tweaking it, or perhaps as Alfred's the most famous character from the time they're just saving them till last.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."

He did play atleast Rome II, Empire (atleast did a parodying video about it, and I think he might've done a bit more research than just looking at some reviews), Warhammer 1 and Warhammer iI

In my opinion he should have some more skills. I mean he made really basic mistakes.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 958Registered Users

In my opinion he should have some more skills. I mean he made really basic mistakes.
    Like letting the enemy cav rout in the direction of his own archers. What happened next was so predictable...
    Fossoway said:

Like letting the enemy cav rout in the direction of his own archers. What happened next was so predictable...
    Yeah, first rule of total war never let your archers be unprotected..
  • kieran12kieran12 Senior Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    CA need to make battles more dynamic and spread out. I truly dislike that is only the frontline that is fighting and the rest of the army just sits at the back waving the sword in the air doing nothing.
    kieran12 said:

CA need to make battles more dynamic and spread out. I truly dislike that is only the frontline that is fighting and the rest of the army just sits at the back waving the sword in the air doing nothing.

Well thats how it was back then.. solid lines.
  • kieran12kieran12 Senior Member Posts: 314Registered Users

kieran12 said:

Only in shield wall would units clump up together, when the shield wall broke they spread out.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,331Registered Users
    kieran12 said:

kieran12 said:

Only in shield wall would units clump up together, when the shield wall broke they spread out.
    And breaking the shield wall was something they avoided at all costs. Even if it was broken, it would be more likely for the different of the formation to form separate shield walls (and in final desperation to 'circle up' back to back), rather than spread out.
    kieran12 said:

kieran12 said:

kieran12 said:

Sooo what is your view? One long thin line of 1v1 combat? Or a cluster of troops fighting eachother with enemy and ally completey mixed up etc. Because the last one is more like a movie thing if I'm not mistaken, normally armies would try to hold the line. That was the case throughout history and it results in units in the back having nothing to do for some time.

I think they would switch the frontline soldiers with the soldiers in the back every once in a while so the people in the front could rest a while.
  • fredericmeyernfredericmeyern Posts: 115Registered Users
    I remember watching a friend playing MTWII, he hated city battles. Would always get to that point, where it's one huge brawl in the center. He knew he'd won the battle, but would have to sit there for about 5-10 minutes, waiting for his troops to cut through. Did show him the old "run, re-engage" trick to speed it up, but he would still get quite irritated. Would roll up and down with those (horrible) RTS camera controls, muttering and cursing.

Anyway the battles are already spaced out.

The video is OK, could have done without all the shouting. AI held up pretty well, sieges have come a long way in this game.
    You can call me Meyer
  • SkyjackSkyjack Posts: 78Registered Users
    edited April 20
    Why does it take 5 years to sail from one end of England to the other?