Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia - Settlement Changes

2»

Comments

• Butterkeks93Butterkeks93 Posts: 36Registered Users
    Mattzo said:

Armies don't seem to be as easy to build, so it shouldn't be too bad. If you wipe out an AI army, it still has to recruit a new one at 25% strength which should buy you time to take the offensive etc.

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean with the "25% strength". I rarely watch the announcement videos, so I don't really know too much about all the new game mechanics :D
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users

Mattzo said:

Armies don't seem to be as easy to build, so it shouldn't be too bad. If you wipe out an AI army, it still has to recruit a new one at 25% strength which should buy you time to take the offensive etc.

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean with the "25% strength". I rarely watch the announcement videos, so I don't really know too much about all the new game mechanics :D
    Ah, well. When you recruit a unit it's now done instantly. However, it starts at 25% strength to represent how the unit needs to be mustered over a period of time. So it takes a few turns to recruit full strength units.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • Butterkeks93Butterkeks93 Posts: 36Registered Users
    Ah I see.

Interesting new mechanic, can't wait to get my hands on this after 2 years of warhammer^^

Thank you for your help ;)
  • mfr001mfr001 Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users

Mattzo said:

Yes, there's a garrison building chain in the major settlements. Hopefully garrisons are fairly substantial even without it though.

Thanks ;)

I'm actually quite excited to know how you are supposed to defend your minor settlements (except for your armies ofc^^). Because what I fear what will happen is the following:

Imagine you have two minor settlements, one in the north and one in the south. You have just one army (because it's quite early in the campaign or your other armies are fighting elsewhere). You let them defend the northern settlement. After the fight, you rush to your southern settlement and defend it. In the meanwhile, your northern enemy has build a new army, so you rush to your northern settlement again. In the meanwhile, your souther enemy has build a new army, so you rush to your souther settlement again. In the meanwhile... and so on.
    And as soon as you use your army to crush one enemy, the other will take your now defenseless settlements.
    Ofc something like this could also happen in other TW Games, but there you always had the chance of strengthening your garrisons and creating "bunkers" at chokepoints. Like this your army could defeat one enemy and you still could defend your settlements.
    The only exception was Rome II with it's not growing garrisons, so basically everytime an enemy army attacked a city without one of your armies around you lost it.
    That was quite annyoing.
    There is a "technology" for slowing down enemy armies in your provinces. I can't remember which video it was shown in unfortunately. I seem to remember the speed reduction was 50%. Add in the removal of the force march stance and that will help deal with multiple attacks. I suspect getting into a war on two fronts will not be the recommended approach - but then it never is. Provided the AI factions have the same dilemma to deal with it should not be an insurmountable difficulty (I hope).

In any case we will be able to find out in just over a week.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    Mattzo said:

Mattzo said:

Ah, well. When you recruit a unit it's now done instantly. However, it starts at 25% strength to represent how the unit needs to be mustered over a period of time. So it takes a few turns to recruit full strength units.
    In addition, units now come from a global pool. If you defeat them enough times in a short period, their pool should get smaller and with many fewer high quality troops.
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    Mattzo said:

Mattzo said:

I'm pretty sure that is the case only if that city or province does not have the necessary infrastructure for recruiting that unit. In that case you can still recruit the unit but it is only 25% strength. If you have the necessary infrastructure it is 100%. I've watched so many videos I get them mixed up but I think I remember seeing that in one of the videos.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 1,346Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    alstl said:

Mattzo said:

Mattzo said:

I'm pretty sure that is the case only if that city or province does not have the necessary infrastructure for recruiting that unit. In that case you can still recruit the unit but it is only 25% strength. If you have the necessary infrastructure it is 100%. I've watched so many videos I get them mixed up but I think I remember seeing that in one of the videos.
    Units always start at 25% strength when recruited. What buildings are in a province can impact how fast they then replenish to full strength, along with elements such as a characters Followers.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.

alstl said:

Mattzo said:

Mattzo said:

Units always start at 25% strength when recruited. What buildings are in a province can impact how fast they then replenish to full strength, along with elements such as a characters Followers.
    About how many turns does it take a unit to reach full strength?
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    alstl said:

alstl said:

Mattzo said:

Mattzo said:

standard rate seems to be 25% / turn. But I've seen play-throughs where they ignored infrastructure, food, and special faction mechanics and had something like 30+ turns to replenish, and I'd bet that with proper infrastructure and followers you could probably get full replenishment in in 2 turns. So there's a big range of how it could actually turn out.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    alstl said:

alstl said:

Mattzo said:

Mattzo said:

Depends on several factors really:

- The unit, is it levy/retinue/elite
    - If you can actually recruit it
    - Follower replenishment buffs
    - Building replenishment buffs

I've seen anywhere from 3 turns to 11+ turns
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
    Mattzo said:

alstl said:

alstl said:

Mattzo said:

Mattzo said:

Depends on several factors really:

- The unit, is it levy/retinue/elite
    - If you can actually recruit it
    - Follower replenishment buffs
    - Building replenishment buffs

I've seen anywhere from 3 turns to 11+ turns
    That's far more realistic than in the past. Jack and the other developers on Britannia put a lot of thought into the game.