Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[Fanart] Lustrian ceremony

uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
Wanted to do an artwork of the lizarmen a while ago but didn't felt confident enough to do a bunch of them. So here's a little scene of a Skink priest doing a ceremony in a lost part of Lustria instead ^^

And the DA link if you're interested :)

Comments

• SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,109
    Oh my... that is beautiful! well done!
  • MeanSonOfAGunMeanSonOfAGun Registered Users Posts: 451
    Oh please feel free to be more confident. ;) Good job!
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,230
    I were hoping for ritual sacrifice, rat stretched upon altar, fighting until the very last moment. But this is not bad.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• SkalliSkalli Registered Users Posts: 107
    Impressive artwork :o
  • furtissimfurtissim Registered Users Posts: 217
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 3,393
  • kufareekufaree Registered Users Posts: 333
    Nice. Good work man :wink:
  • ihq47ihq47 Registered Users Posts: 66
    Looks great, post more when you get to it!
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,376
    Very nice! Keep up the great work!
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,127
    very impressieve CA like qualtiy IMHO :)

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • bellyboybellyboy Registered Users Posts: 145
    Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing!
  • karge068karge068 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,294
    Wow. Very impressive. What type of paints you using?
  • IokkoIokko Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 561
    this is fantastic! well done!
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.
  • PTreePTree Registered Users Posts: 639
    Excellent! Keep them coming.
  • BiesBies Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,284
    can you do Hellebron in her palace sacrificing people, ofcourse to celebrate upcoming DLC =P

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,081
    Bies said:

can you do Hellebron in her palace sacrificing people, ofcourse to celebrate upcoming DLC =P

He still didn't know how big will be abs of the Witch Elves Legendary Lord in Total War. :)
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,230
    Tayvar said:

Bies said:

He still didn't know how big will be abs of the Witch Elves Legendary Lord in Total War. :)
    Have mercy on my stomach, I have just finished a bowl of cereal.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,618
  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Registered Users Posts: 958
    While I thinks its a gorgeous and beautiful picture with a calm and harmonic atmosphere I think its missing something, you know the Warhammer part where LM slay, kill and eat people. ;)
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 3,010

While I thinks its a gorgeous and beautiful picture with a calm and harmonic atmosphere I think its missing something, you know the Warhammer part where LM slay, kill and eat people. ;)

Yep, It is the only problem with the OPs artwork. I miss some of the grimdark that made Warhammer so special.

In any case, it looks amazing.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,759

I were hoping for ritual sacrifice, rat stretched upon altar, fighting until the very last moment. But this is not bad.

I was half expecting a Slann officiating a mariage between a Skink and a Kroxigor.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Registered Users Posts: 1,381
    Pocman said:

Yep, It is the only problem with the OPs artwork. I miss some of the grimdark that made Warhammer so special.

Warhammer Fantasy isn't 100% Grimdark all the time. It can take a moment to be quiet, thoughtful, funny, or (rarely) heartwarming when it wants to.

For me, these moments are what make the Warhammer world worth fighting for, despite its crapsack nature.

• DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 8,059

For all people tend to regard the Lizardmen as being robots, there are the odd instances in the fluff where Skinks at least are shown as being people with art and culture beyond simply Following The Plan Of The Old Ones.

As an example, there's a vignette in the 5E Lizardmen book where a Skink is playing a set of pipes. He gets shot by a nervous Elf, but it's described as being something he's done every dawn for an extended period until that happened.

The grimdark nature of WFB tends to be exaggerated, although GW took part in the exaggeration in later editions when they forgot that there were benefits to WFB and WH40K having different tones.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 7,942
    The grimdark in fantasy and in 40k is mostly due to point of view I think. In 40k you can actually have planets with functioning societies disconnected from all the horrors of the galaxy it's just that you always have stories from the view of space marines, inquisitors, guardsmen and such. Imperium is described by its main military and secret forces which go specifically to the bloodiest battlefields and convoluted courts of intrigue. There are idyllic places in it, just that we follow handpicked settings in it. Imperium does evils it does more from necessity than malice.

There is a funny comment that Imperium of Man has more in common with the Federation of Planets from Star Trek than with Galactic Empire from Star Wars since it is ruled by a government that will only act if **** hits the fan while otherwise each planet has its own policies, even having political relations and trade with xenos despite implied heresy otherwise. Why? It's overstretched and only does things when it has to so planets have self governance.

In fantasy you're in a somewhat of a medieval setting so it's generally shittier from real life since it has even bigger horrors. It still has some beautiful things in it, just that the setting for storytelling gravitates towards grimdark because medieval age was quite grimdark.

This picture is a nice respite and showcases to me that all the grimdark is handled with some ultimate goal rather than for the sake of fighting. The skinks work best since they're the most human of the lizardmen.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 859
    Crossil said:

The skinks work best since they're the most human of the lizardmen.

Or perhaps humans are the most skink of all the younger races.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 8,059

Crossil said:

The skinks work best since they're the most human of the lizardmen.

Or perhaps humans are the most skink of all the younger races.
    Hrrrmn...

Might be the Elves that claim that title, although there are ways in which skinks are more like humans than elves.

For all the big deal that is made about the differences between elves and dwarfs, though, all of the younger races, possibly even including the ogres, have more in common with each other than they do with any of the lizardmen.
  • uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    Thanks for the nice feedback :)
    Draxynnic said:

For all people tend to regard the Lizardmen as being robots, there are the odd instances in the fluff where Skinks at least are shown as being people with art and culture beyond simply Following The Plan Of The Old Ones.

As an example, there's a vignette in the 5E Lizardmen book where a Skink is playing a set of pipes. He gets shot by a nervous Elf, but it's described as being something he's done every dawn for an extended period until that happened.

The grimdark nature of WFB tends to be exaggerated, although GW took part in the exaggeration in later editions when they forgot that there were benefits to WFB and WH40K having different tones.
    Yes, I think that was the spot I was aiming for. A slaan would do, but it would require a more solemn decorum, it was my initial idea months ago. I guess I was cheating a bit there, using the lizardman theme to insert mostly a rainforest scenery (since I like to do these)

IIR the sacrifice and bloodshed is only tied to Sotek and the specific Lizardmen vs Skavens rivalry. They are not a sacrificial based society at their core.

@Bies : I'm not too much of a DE fan mysel, but it could be interesting to see what it looks like inside their cities, I dunno how many renditions of these have been done. Alternatively, an outdoor and snowy scenery can be a good setup.

To be quite honest, the other project I've been musing about for a while is araby themed. I'd especially want to give a spin to a djiin, if only to see how to make them a bit more unique looking.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 3,010

Pocman said:

Warhammer Fantasy isn't 100% Grimdark all the time. It can take a moment to be quiet, thoughtful, funny, or (rarely) heartwarming when it wants to.

For me, these moments are what make the Warhammer world worth fighting for, despite its crapsack nature.

I am not speaking about the theme of the picture. I am talking more about the colour choice, etc. In this one is more justified, I think, but in the skaven assassin one I missed it a bit more.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file