Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Next game + all DLC to buy?

KarateHottie93KarateHottie93 Posts: 5Registered Users
edited May 2018 in The Graveyard
I've played every game up to Attila, but here's the thing...only Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 are official copies. That's not good...I know, I know.

I have no DLC for Shogun 2 so I'd likely just have to buy an entirely new copy as the Gold Edition is way cheaper than the DLC...which is just weird.

I love Atilla and Rome 2 both but the complete package of either is pretty expensive. I know I'd enjoy it though, and the prices aren't unreasonably high.

I know nothing about Warhammer but the games look very fun, and also even more of a DLC money pit than the two above.

I didn't care for Empire or Napoleon when I tried them years ago but I can get both games complete in a single package for ultra cheap now.

Shogun, Medieval, and Rome are my three favorites overall after Medieval 2 and as I just enjoy the older style campaigns more and all are ultra cheap. Not really sure why I would even really need Steam copies of them...but I want it for the "Time Played".

Thrones looks cool...but once again, not sure if I wanna invest in a DLC pit right now.

Comments

• NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    Steam summer sale should be soon. Probably around a month. You could wait till then. Generally TW has massive franchise sales of 75% off for all but the newest title.

I got my entire TW collection excluding Rome 2(when that was the newest game) for around $25 with DLC. So it's a steal.

Right now I would guess Warhammer 1 will get the big sale but it's dlc considering it's for 2 games might be less of a sale. Although they in my opinion should make it 75% as well because it would encourage more people to buy Warhammer 2 and it's future DLC...

TLDR: wait for steam summer sale:)
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    Wow, a Steam... SALE!

Probably should explain myself:

I mean, if you wait long enough for one you might look like him, and he looks pretty happy.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Posts: 1,178Registered Users
    You should grab Warhammer 1 in the steam sale in a month or so alongside perhaps Realm of the Wood Elves, Norsca, The King and the Warlord, and The Grim and The Grave. That would give you something like 23 different Legendary Lords to pick from across 7 factions.

As much as I love Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos their DLC isn't the most cost effective since their rosters are missing quite a bit and they are both Hordes so you never build settlements.

After that, wait for a sale on Warhammer 2 and then you will get a ton more content (Probably around 12 LLs across 4 factions assuming it will be a couple months before a really good sale) with all the previous content you owned in Warhammer 1.
  • ZerglesZergles Member Posts: 2,964Registered Users
    If you get Warhammer 2, you get 8 factions that are different enough that no two feel too much alike (unlike Rome 2, Attila, or Shogun 2) and each gets at least two different Legendary Lords who change the game up a little on their own.

So with Warhammer 2, you get at least a years worth of entertainment (assuming you don't play like...8 hours a day.)

Or maybe a better measure is, however long you got enjoyment out of Rome 2 or Attila without DLC, you'll probably get about twice as much out of TWWH2 unless you just don't enjoy fantasy games...like some sort of Communist.
  • hurricane501hurricane501 Senior Member Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Wait you pirated than others and post here telling us???
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 10,904Registered Users
    You stole all those games. You should buy everything twice as penance.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwards, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,065Registered Users
    So you pirated the game and think it's not worth buying it?

It's called a steam sale, and not buying DLC you might not even like. What's with the "but buying all DLC is expensive" nonsense these days? We're not going to think you're some uptight sleazeball slut of society if you only buy some DLC and skip the rest.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,355Registered Users
    Game 1:
    - Norsca is 100% a great choice
    - Woodelves ONLY if you like heavy micromanagement gameplay and they start slow
    - Warriors of Chaos only if you like horde gameplay
    - Beastmen are way better than warriors of chaos in terms of fun SO FAR, lot faster AND has a mini-campaign
    - The King and the Warlord is one of the best DLCs and it adds 2 new starting positions that increase replayability A LOT by showing you new aspects of greenskins and dwarves BUT they are both hard campaigns
    - Grim and the Grave only if you like Vampires/Empire....compared to King and the Warlord its less value but the new units are still fun

The Blood and Gore Dlc is for both game 1 AND game 2, so if you buy it once, you dont have to buy it again, would say its worth it if you like it

Game 2:
    - Only Tomb Kings out so far and damn well worth it, really great content

But you dont have to buy game 2 if you havent played game 1 yet... you could play game 1 and then wait for a sale and more content/patches for game 2 until its less than 30 bucks.

Keep in mind that you dont need those dlcs to play AGAINST the new content or to play with players who have them. You can still fight the new Norsca, Woodelves etc. if you dont have those dlc
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 3,605Registered Users
    edited May 2018
    I don’t think there is any game outside of having played World of Warcraft, Star Wars: the Old Republic and Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning that I have played as much as TWW1 and TWW2 where I have a combined 1200 hours. Maybe a combination of Championship Manager/Football Manager would top it because I played them a lot when I was a kid and had all the time in the world.

So for me it’s a worthy money sink if ever I saw one.
    Lord of the Undermountain
  • kevManiackevManiac Posts: 254Registered Users
    Unlike games like EU IV, you won't miss any core mechanics that is neccesary to play the game. If you just buy Warhammer 1 in the Steam Summer Sales, you can play it right along. If, after some time, you decided you want a DLC for the game, I'd recommend Norsca, or the Wood Elves. Both factions really change the style you play.
    But again, you don't need any DLC, so it won't be as much as a DLC pit as some other games are (looking at you Paradox...)
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,616Registered Users
    RikRiorik said:

I don’t think there is any game outside of having played World of Warcraft, Star Wars: the Old Republic and Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning that I have played as much as TWW1 and TWW2 where I have a combined 1200 hours. Maybe a combination of Championship Manager/Football Manager would top it because I played them a lot when I was a kid and had all the time in the world.

It just dawned on me I recognised your name from Warhammer: Online.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • GollummypreciousGollummyprecious Posts: 306Registered Users
    Wait the Steam sales and buy Game 1, if you enjoy then get the lord packs, if you still enjoy it then get the race packs, although WoC are quiet a disappointement in their own (the most boring campaign?), you should get some fun with dwarfs with their retardely strong economy, the VC can litterally spam armies battles after battlles as long as you have the money to do it, and their magic is very strong. Greenskins is a bit more tricky but once you have figured out how to play them its hilarious watching your guys s*** all over the places! Empire are a bit generic but can be difficult, but they can have a formidable economy. WE are for the weaklings who prefer kill enemies far away than actually meet him on the field, a kiting race, god i hate these guys... and Bretonnia, well is the french of the WH1, proud, with a stupid accent and fancy beards, they have the best cav in game 1 and you can do a rohan charge with lots of knights for a max fun. Its not the best build, but the FOR ZE LADY, is always worth it...
    Sanity is a curse, madness offers the only freedom...
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 3,605Registered Users
    edited May 2018

RikRiorik said:

It just dawned on me I recognised your name from Warhammer: Online.
    Forums or in game? Because I didn’t have that name on any characters. Had:

Wagner Wulfenstern a Witch Hunter (later Vagners because of a server change)
    Werther Waldenhof a Warrrior Priest
    Farnulf Fimirslayer a Slayer
    and then an assortment of other characters as well.
    Played in my own RP guild the League of Stirland guild first and after server change played with some top notch people in an excellent RvR guild called Crimson.

You were?
    Lord of the Undermountain
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 3,677Registered Users
    Just wait for a sale then? In this day and age way more good games are published than any one person can reasonably play, anyway.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,113Registered Users

Steam summer sale should be soon.

Rumors formed through steamdb have already placed the start on June 21. And since last year it was also pretty much a bullseye with that, it might be again.

But in this age where sales are pretty much every week somewhere (currently GMG birthday, Humble store Spring sale or Fanatical May madness) it might be more wise to look also elsewhere.
    https://isthereanydeal.com/

-----Red Dox
  • KarateHottie93KarateHottie93 Posts: 5Registered Users

You stole all those games. You should buy everything twice as penance.

In my defense, I didn't play any of them more than enough to try it out. Probably spent longer with that Attila than any of the others but even that was just about 2 hours.
This discussion has been closed.