Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Widowmaker: The sword of Khaine

TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,734
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
If you controll the shrine of Khaine, you may equip an character with the widowmaker and get MASSIVE boosts to combat prowess.
But you also suffer public order penalties.

So how do we like it?


Personally, I´d make this avaible to all Helf/Delf factions to use. (EDIT: it is=
And probably making some other penalty then public order and money. The army going rouge after an some time and rampaging through the lands?
There was an indication for an "charge" of the sword with it beeing "thirsting" at the beginning.

It would make a lot of sense having the potential for the wielder to go rouge and rampage through the lands.
Also an recruitment bonus would make sense (elves getting drawn to it)
Post edited by TeNoSkill on
«13

Comments

  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,956
    it depends on what the "lay down" mechanic is in detail, but potential, this could be a interesting decision.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,070
    I didn't want it to be an item, but that's the route they went and I think it'll work out okay.

    The idea that it's a bit like pass the parcel, where if you lose a battle you lose the sword is interesting. In the lore, the sword makes you invincible - but I think as game mechanic it'll be fun.

    I don't like it in terms of knowing the world. Nobody is stupid enough to draw the sword and those that try tend to die a horrible death due to being unworthy. As a purely Total War thing, though, cool...why not.

    I don't think you should be able to give it to some level 1 lord, as they did in the trailer. I think it should only be able to be drawn by a truly mighty warrior - so maybe it becomes available at level 20 or something.
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,805
    It depends.

    If you can't unequip it until the character dies, it's good. And those public order debuffs need to be MASSIVE to show just how big a deal drawing it is.

    Do like your idea too though, imagine if you're daft enough to equip Tyrion with it and he went off on one..
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • thebiglezthebiglez Registered Users Posts: 688
    i love the mechanic and also agree with you
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,971
    az88 said:

    I don't like it in terms of knowing the world. Nobody is stupid enough to draw the sword and those that try tend to die a horrible death due to being unworthy.

    Honestly, this is something I was just commenting on in another thread. The Widowmaker and what it did to the Elves is a really big deal in the fluff, but the game seems to be treating it as something you can just pick up and put down.

    Given that it's in, though, it should be available to all Elven factions.

  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,693
    edited May 2018
    just so, that even people that didnt watch the video yet, know:


    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

    Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

    Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,070
    Draxynnic said:

    az88 said:

    I don't like it in terms of knowing the world. Nobody is stupid enough to draw the sword and those that try tend to die a horrible death due to being unworthy.

    Honestly, this is something I was just commenting on in another thread. The Widowmaker and what it did to the Elves is a really big deal in the fluff, but the game seems to be treating it as something you can just pick up and put down.

    Given that it's in, though, it should be available to all Elven factions.

    Hang on. It's only available to the DLC factions? Surely all Elves can access it if you own the DLC?
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,734
    az88 said:



    I don't think you should be able to give it to some level 1 lord, as they did in the trailer. I think it should only be able to be drawn by a truly mighty warrior - so maybe it becomes available at level 20 or something.

    Yeah, that would make sense. Yet nobody would make use of it, if the penalties were as terrifiying as they should be; and evne then, how long does it take to level an general to 20?

    "Great warrior" needs to measured otherwise, OR an percentage chance of the General dying decreasing with the level of the General?



    Arsenic said:

    It depends.

    Do like your idea too though, imagine if you're daft enough to equip Tyrion with it and he went off on one..

    Yeah, I mean, the widowmaker is all about losing controll and going on an rampage.

    The widowmaker should probably also give an recruitment bonus (coz elves getting drawn to it)
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,734
    az88 said:

    Draxynnic said:

    az88 said:

    I don't like it in terms of knowing the world. Nobody is stupid enough to draw the sword and those that try tend to die a horrible death due to being unworthy.

    Honestly, this is something I was just commenting on in another thread. The Widowmaker and what it did to the Elves is a really big deal in the fluff, but the game seems to be treating it as something you can just pick up and put down.

    Given that it's in, though, it should be available to all Elven factions.

    Hang on. It's only available to the DLC factions? Surely all Elves can access it if you own the DLC?
    Well, who knows?
  • TalmoreanTalmorean Registered Users Posts: 1,487
    TeNoSkill said:

    az88 said:

    Draxynnic said:

    az88 said:

    I don't like it in terms of knowing the world. Nobody is stupid enough to draw the sword and those that try tend to die a horrible death due to being unworthy.

    Honestly, this is something I was just commenting on in another thread. The Widowmaker and what it did to the Elves is a really big deal in the fluff, but the game seems to be treating it as something you can just pick up and put down.

    Given that it's in, though, it should be available to all Elven factions.

    Hang on. It's only available to the DLC factions? Surely all Elves can access it if you own the DLC?
    Well, who knows?
    It'd be pretty sick if playing as Orion and you conquer Ulthuan and take the sword.
  • KandennKandenn Registered Users Posts: 504
    I hope it's for all HE/DE character and not only for the DLC, would be so awesome. Take the shrine would be a priority for anyone.
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,734
    Talmorean said:

    TeNoSkill said:

    az88 said:

    Draxynnic said:

    az88 said:

    I don't like it in terms of knowing the world. Nobody is stupid enough to draw the sword and those that try tend to die a horrible death due to being unworthy.

    Honestly, this is something I was just commenting on in another thread. The Widowmaker and what it did to the Elves is a really big deal in the fluff, but the game seems to be treating it as something you can just pick up and put down.

    Given that it's in, though, it should be available to all Elven factions.

    Hang on. It's only available to the DLC factions? Surely all Elves can access it if you own the DLC?
    Well, who knows?
    It'd be pretty sick if playing as Orion and you conquer Ulthuan and take the sword.
    weeeell, Welfs seem to be a bit far fetched
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,067
    I love Widowmaker's inclusion but I loathe how it has been done. Buff/debuff with ability is just pathetic. It should be limited to LL, change their weapon model, add some visual effects and alter their voice lines. Make them look and speak like murder icarnates.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif


  • TalmoreanTalmorean Registered Users Posts: 1,487
    TeNoSkill said:

    Talmorean said:

    TeNoSkill said:

    az88 said:

    Draxynnic said:

    az88 said:

    I don't like it in terms of knowing the world. Nobody is stupid enough to draw the sword and those that try tend to die a horrible death due to being unworthy.

    Honestly, this is something I was just commenting on in another thread. The Widowmaker and what it did to the Elves is a really big deal in the fluff, but the game seems to be treating it as something you can just pick up and put down.

    Given that it's in, though, it should be available to all Elven factions.

    Hang on. It's only available to the DLC factions? Surely all Elves can access it if you own the DLC?
    Well, who knows?
    It'd be pretty sick if playing as Orion and you conquer Ulthuan and take the sword.
    weeeell, Welfs seem to be a bit far fetched
    Elves are elves.... I don't think Khaine cares, as long as blood is spilled. And WE have a Khaine worship tech in their tree...
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,734

    I love Widowmaker's inclusion but I loathe how it has been done. Buff/debuff with ability is just pathetic. It should be limited to LL, change their weapon model, add some visual effects and alter their voice lines. Make them look and speak like murder icarnates.

    I think, the Lord should not change model IMMEDIATLY, but rather when the sword overtakes him. I mean, there were different stages of the sword (why else should there be an extra "thirsting" in the description?)
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,941
    Talmorean said:


    Elves are elves.... I don't think Khaine cares, as long as blood is spilled. And WE have a Khaine worship tech in their tree...

    Orion is the avatar of Kurnous (Elve god of the hunt), he will never draw widowmaker and even if the tried Khaine would not let it happen, since Orion in the end is bound to Kurnous until he dies.
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,070
    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    Great. As it should be.
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,734
    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    Very good indeed.....
  • sarin555sarin555 Registered Users Posts: 154
    edited May 2018
    Really wish the animation of the spell is Khaine wielding his sword and slashing it as he moves across the battlefield, basically regular vortex, just really cool vortex..
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    End Times is coming.

    BLEH!
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,734

    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    End Times is coming.

    BLEH!
    Well, the penalty seems to be public order and money, so rather NOT-end-times
  • sarin555sarin555 Registered Users Posts: 154
    TeNoSkill said:

    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    End Times is coming.

    BLEH!
    Well, the penalty seems to be public order and money, so rather NOT-end-times
    Imagine if Archaon takes the sword...
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 4,734
    sarin555 said:

    TeNoSkill said:

    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    End Times is coming.

    BLEH!
    Well, the penalty seems to be public order and money, so rather NOT-end-times
    Imagine if Archaon takes the sword...
    But he is no elf.....
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,070
    TeNoSkill said:

    sarin555 said:

    TeNoSkill said:

    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    End Times is coming.

    BLEH!
    Well, the penalty seems to be public order and money, so rather NOT-end-times
    Imagine if Archaon takes the sword...
    But he is no elf.....

  • Mitch_CAMitch_CA Member Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 162
    TeNoSkill said:

    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    End Times is coming.

    BLEH!
    Well, the penalty seems to be public order and money, so rather NOT-end-times
    To start with..
    Lead Designer - Total War

    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • sarin555sarin555 Registered Users Posts: 154
    TeNoSkill said:

    sarin555 said:

    TeNoSkill said:

    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    End Times is coming.

    BLEH!
    Well, the penalty seems to be public order and money, so rather NOT-end-times
    Imagine if Archaon takes the sword...
    But he is no elf.....
    With him, I am pretty sure it is possible...
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member Registered Users Posts: 1,402
    So a Phoenix king was murdered by his own royal guard for trying to draw the sword of Khaine, and even Malekith refused to touch it because of the terrible consequences to the entire elven race, but now any joe blow random lord can draw it.

    Maybe in the next DLC you can have Archaon lay down his sword and become a proponent of peace, while Sigmar takes up the mantle of Everchosen.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    TeNoSkill said:

    CA_Duck said:

    The Sword of Khaine mechanic is part of the free content, so say playing as Tyrion you can take the sword, if you're prepared to pay the price.

    End Times is coming.

    BLEH!
    Well, the penalty seems to be public order and money, so rather NOT-end-times
    That got what to do with what I said?
  • Blueeyesgirl3Blueeyesgirl3 Registered Users Posts: 285


    IT BEGINS

    But in all seriousness I am blown away by how they chose to approach this. I figured it would originally be a kind of Vortex Victory kind of deal where as long as you controlled the shrine, and by proxy the sword, you'd get both buffs and of course the obvious debuffs that would last until you lost the shrine. But I never though they'd go this far and I don't know if I'm terrified of the potential this has or excited.

    I do wish that the model of its wielder would change to represent the sword a little more - heck even the model holding the sword would do. I think that will bother me for a while.

    I mean lore-wise the whole thing does irk me, but considering it's a Total War game I'm trying not to take that too seriously. I'll just enjoy seeing how it works instead!
    Team Lizardmen
Sign In or Register to comment.