Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Laptop Suggestions for Running Total War Warhammer II

Alaric_IronaxeAlaric_Ironaxe Senior MemberPosts: 568Registered Users
So I'm finally getting a new laptop that can properly run Warhammer II and I could use some suggestions for laptops to buy. I'd like to be able to run the game very well on at least high graphics, doesn't necessarily need to be ultra, and I'll need enough memory space for both of the total war warhammer games to be installed at once for mortal empires. I'd also like to run some of my other games very well, liked Witcher III and Dishonored II, plus all the paradox games though I know those are not demanding graphically. Ideally I'd like to spend somewhere around $1,000-1,200, but I can go up to $1,500 if that extra few hundred dollars would make a significant difference in performance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• NinjasoupNinjasoup Junior Member Posts: 106Registered Users
    I run it fine on an Alienware:
    I7
    16 gb ram
    GTX 980
  • Alaric_IronaxeAlaric_Ironaxe Senior Member Posts: 568Registered Users
    Which alienware?
  • NinjasoupNinjasoup Junior Member Posts: 106Registered Users
    The model is Alienware 17 R3 its around 2 years old now but runs tww2 pretty good.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,765Registered Users
    Does it need to be a laptop? A normal PC would give better performance for the same money.

If you want a laptop though as long as it's a relatively new CPU from Intel or AMD that has no less than 4 physical cores alongside at least a 1060 6GB you should be fine.

There's just so many options out there the baseline specs are the important part.

I would also recommend a SSD. It will really help the overall laptop experience.
  • makar55makar55 Posts: 1,427Registered Users
    Consider to note new line of videocards must show up by the end of summer, so if you wait you can get better performance.
    Unfortunately it does need to be a laptop, I move around a fair amount these days so can't really deal with a desktop.

A lot of the laptops I've looked at in my price range have the specs you suggested, so I'm glad that's all I need.

Don't really think I want to wait 2-3 months, now is a good time for me to get a laptop and I'll actually have plenty of time to get through games.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 4,018Registered Users
    You might want to wait a month. I think some new stuff is coming out soon but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head...
    No new stuff is coming out for months and even then mobile chips won't be till months after that.

So yeah the specs should be fine. You could run ultra size unit settings

I would recommend however to turn down shadows as it's the biggest performance killer setting.
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Posts: 2,045Registered Users
    I have a Dell 7K or something with 16GB ram, an SSD, intel i7, and a GTX960M. Works great.

Now you could probably get the same thing but with a 1060 for the same price.

I would suggest MSI or Dell over Alienware, as the brand name alone costs an extra $200ish. But you can do whatever you want.
  • WolfLord0603WolfLord0603 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have an MSI ghost that’s 3 or 4 years old at this point. i7 16gb ram. 970m graphics. Runs everything great and it’s pretty thin and light as far as laptops go because I travel a lot as well.
    Yeah MSI seems to have a good selection of power and mobility.
    MSI, Acer, Asus would be the 3 I would look into.

I have a Dell 7K or something with 16GB ram, an SSD, intel i7, and a GTX960M. Works great.

Yeah thanks man that's pretty much what I'm finding is solid specs for a solid price. I've also pretty much narrowed down my selection to MSI, Acer and Asus, I feel like Alienware is unnecessarily expensive. Still have to narrow it down between those three though., leaning towards the MSI GE62 Apache Pro 1 or 4, the 4 is about $400 cheaper and I'm not sure if I need the 1.
    Thanks for the tips all, I ended up splurging and going for a better laptop than I needed, the MSI GS73 7RF series. Can't wait for it to arrive and finally get to playing WH2, long overdue.
    It's always better to get more than you need with laptops. They will last longer and it'll pay itself off that way
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,886Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited June 2018
    Best idea, to my thinking anyway after having gone down that road a couple of times, is to get a desktop with lots of memory and the best gpu available, with lots of memory.

I've had no problem running games in the last couple of years now.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin