Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[fanart] Araby Djiin concept

uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
WIll they or won't they? In any case, the old warmaster models will certainly only be a start, and I hope CA will consider giving Araby it's own warhammer spin. Djiins, genies and ifrits are going to be one of the main attraction and I've felt like sharing one possible approach, maybe for some hero level version of them.

Tagged:

Comments

• ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,724Registered Users
    Not sure it fits Warhammer (particularly the floating bits) but that is damn cool. I'd be all about this.
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
  • kufareekufaree Posts: 243Registered Users
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 2,066Registered Users
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,472Registered Users
    Hi, do you have an art page?

Anyway I am sure CA will give interesting redesigns for the different djiins, they have already done a good job for the vast majority of units so far.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Posts: 744Registered Users
    Awesome!
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    edited June 2018
    Thanks!

@Infinite_Maw : yes there it is , there are a few other warhammer designs in a the corresponding folder

@ladymissfit : When I was searching for the concept I hesitate among many designs but thought the floating parts gave her more presence. Besides Djiins are likely to be floating entities in general and it's the kind of thing that screams "magic" like the floating palaquins of the Slaans.

Another part of the design is covering her face to give her a more unhuman wibe than the usually more expressive genies design. Technically in warhammer lore they are Daemon kin. (or considered as such by non Arabians)
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Posts: 2,591Registered Users
    edited June 2018
    The look doesn’t really suit Warhammer or Araby, and it also doesn’t look particularly Arabian, either.

Something like this feels more appropriate:

Post edited by Warlocke on
    ò_ó
  • GW_84GW_84 Posts: 197Registered Users
    I like the look. Looks magical and otherworldly while it stays away from the Disney genie-look. Inspired by Arab 1001-nights aesthetic but clearly its own unique look.

If Araby becomes a faction, I hope they can move away from the standard Arabian Nights tropes a bit and make it a unique faction inspired by but not copying those tales.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,306Registered Users
    edited June 2018
    Wow, complaining that something doesn't look sufficiently "Arab" only to then throw in some rather stereotypical BS in as as the "correct" depiction. Hollywood Genies armed with what looks like Chinese Daos (Arabs used straight swords and Ottomans used thin curved swords) and of course emerging from a container because genies totally prefer tiny living spaces, eh?

Listen, genies are the Arabian equivalent to European "Fair Folk", not wish-granting bottle-dwellers. Fickle half-spiritual beings with strange powers that operate on otherworldly morality and can be as helpful as they can be dangerous. The ones that end up in containers are said to be punished for crimes and their reaction after they are freed ranges from gratefulness to outright murderous intent based on their genie-logic.

If Araby's next on the list I do hope they do not use the hoary old Warmaster depictions of it because those were just dumb. It would be like portraying the Elves as toymakers living on the North Pole.

• Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 2,058Registered Users
    Very nice...
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Posts: 1,951Registered Users

Wow, complaining that something doesn't look sufficiently "Arab" only to then throw in some rather stereotypical BS in as as the "correct" depiction. Hollywood Genies armed with what looks like Chinese Daos (Arabs used straight swords and Ottomans used thin curved swords) and of course emerging from a container because genies totally prefer tiny living spaces, eh?

Listen, genies are the Arabian equivalent to European "Fair Folk", not wish-granting bottle-dwellers. Fickle half-spiritual beings with strange powers that operate on otherworldly morality and can be as helpful as they can be dangerous. The ones that end up in containers are said to be punished for crimes and their reaction after they are freed ranges from gratefulness to outright murderous intent based on their genie-logic.

If Araby's next on the list I do hope they do not use the hoary old Warmaster depictions of it because those were just dumb. It would be like portraying the Elves as toymakers living on the North Pole.

Erhm... What is wrong with these Djinn?

That is one fo the few official artworks of Djinn in the Warhammer World.

Also, Araby is not meant to only incorporate Arabian culture, but is rather an amalgram and caricature of several Northeren African and Middle Eastern cultures. So Djinns using curved blades is not the end of the world.. In aiddition, the entirety of the cultures of the Warhammer World, are based off of popular undertandings, prejudices and ideas of foreign cultures, mainly from a British point of view. So Djinns in a jar (which is part of the canon of the Warhammer World, wether you like it or not) is perfectly acceptable..
    Yeah, the elementals from dreadfleet are the second depiction, and quite different from warmaster djiins. That said, element depiction vary a lot depending of the degree of "civilization" added to them. If they went more the element route, I'd be happy to have them featuring some animal shapes or part, in the way of the egyptian deities too.

I deliberately went more for a decorated, advanced magician look instead. I just hope they wil skip the bare chested with big arm cliché :)
  • 42konyo42konyo Posts: 775Registered Users
    edited June 2018
    You're incredibly talented, seeing a new art thread of yours over here is always a pleasure.
    I'm wondering what they plan on doing with the Jinn, logically it could be a degrading summon, but considering in folklore they where known for spreading diseases and mental illnesses they might even get an AOE effect that does damage over time or slows units/lowers morale.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,306Registered Users

Also, Araby is not meant to only incorporate Arabian culture, but is rather an amalgram and caricature of several Northeren African and Middle Eastern cultures. So Djinns using curved blades is not the end of the world.. In aiddition, the entirety of the cultures of the Warhammer World, are based off of popular undertandings, prejudices and ideas of foreign cultures, mainly from a British point of view. So Djinns in a jar (which is part of the canon of the Warhammer World, wether you like it or not) is perfectly acceptable..

As I already said, the Ottomans used THIN curved blades, not massive cleavers, those are distinctively CHINESE in design rather than Middle Eastern.

As for the "Warhammer is all based on British stereotypes of other nations"-bit, yeah, that's used as a defense but it's also not true. Let's check on the human nations.

The Empire, supposedly German, but neither contains the lederhosen-clad Oktoberfest lout nor the goosestepping, Pickelhaube-wearing Prussian stereotype (or Nazis). It's depiction of 17th century Germany is pretty fair.
    Bretonnia, supposedly French but the only stereotypical things about them are their accents. Neither is their cuisine characerized as weird, nor are they portrayed as cowards and defeatists. Their impulsiveness and desire to charge ahead recklessly is actually fairly accurate to French 100-year War characterizations.
    Kislev, supposedly Russian, but the only thing hinting about that are the names, the bear symbology and Winged Hussars (which are Polish rather than Russian). Nothing about being drunk all the time, being excessively backwards or being communists. A fair analogue of 17th century Russia.
    Tilea and Estalia, supposedly based on Italy and Spain, but they actually have little characterization in the first place other than being small, divided and weak. This actually makes Estalia fairly unrecognizable as renaissance era Spain, which was a powerhouse, and 15th century Italy was actually small, weak and divided, so another fair depiction.
    Border Princes don't even fit into anything.
    The Marauder tribes come closest, since they depict medieval horror stories of the raiding norsemen, but the only real stereotypical thing are the horned helmets.

It's only when it comes to Araby and CIN that we get the lazy stereotypes and coincidentally these had very little to no official TT representation.

So no, I don't have to accept lazy Hollywood style Genies.

• HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Posts: 2,541Registered Users
    What is this a protoss wannabe?
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 5,029Registered Users
    All depictions I've seen of Djinns including official as well as this fanart always lacked something to me.

I do think obscuring their faces is the way to go (but onscured differently) but I'd also like them surrounded by magical thundering clouds.

The ones from Dreadfleet look more like elementals of sorts and should be differentiated as such, djinns should be more of an anthropomorphic magical entity if you ask me.

Well they will be the test for whether or not CA is capable of making monsters that look like they belong in Warhammer.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Posts: 464Registered Users
    Its a cool artwork, but for me it feels more like a tau Ethereal than a djiin.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon/Deamon slayer, Doomseeker, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Rune Golem, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
    edited June 2018

You’re adorable when you are trying to be righteous.

Here is the hint: my post was intentionally making a light hearted joke about how Warhammer is constructed almost entirely out of derivative cliches.
    ò_ó
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Posts: 744Registered Users
    Warlocke said:

Here is the hint: my post was intentionally making a light hearted joke about how Warhammer is constructed almost entirely out of derivative cliches.
    *Makes patronizing insult instead of trying to counter any argument made*
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
    Crossil said:

All depictions I've seen of Djinns including official as well as this fanart always lacked something to me.

I do think obscuring their faces is the way to go (but onscured differently) but I'd also like them surrounded by magical thundering clouds.

The ones from Dreadfleet look more like elementals of sorts and should be differentiated as such, djinns should be more of an anthropomorphic magical entity if you ask me.

Well they will be the test for whether or not CA is capable of making monsters that look like they belong in Warhammer.

I chose to go easy on effects. Usually they tend to obfuscate the creature character a lot and go toward an "energy being" , of course it's highly subjective. The way magical energy are added will point toward elecrity, raw power like Protoss archons (which to answer somebody else, I don't see having much in common with this )

I avoided an outfit too similar to what actual humans would wear too, as depicted often with genies, especially because it was another take at the subject, I understand it's quite divisive ^^
  • BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,780Registered Users
    Age of sigmar version ;)

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• CrossilCrossil Posts: 5,029Registered Users
    uriak said:

Crossil said:

I chose to go easy on effects. Usually they tend to obfuscate the creature character a lot and go toward an "energy being" , of course it's highly subjective. The way magical energy are added will point toward elecrity, raw power like Protoss archons (which to answer somebody else, I don't see having much in common with this )

I avoided an outfit too similar to what actual humans would wear too, as depicted often with genies, especially because it was another take at the subject, I understand it's quite divisive ^^
    I'm fine with ripping off other settings, it's a long standing Warhammer tradition to "borrow" from others and making it Warhammer.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • BardicInquisitionBardicInquisition Posts: 1,036Registered Users
    Reminds me a little of the Alin from Rise of Legends.

Warlocke said:

*Makes patronizing insult instead of trying to counter any argument made*
    Argument against what? I don’t disagree with anything in his post. He is just tilting against windmills.
    ò_ó
  • vintagepurplevintagepurple Posts: 775Registered Users
    edited June 2018
    Btw those converted djinn are based on ogre models, I'm pretty certain. That's why they have chinese-inspired blades.

I'm not a fan of them. They're just buff Robin Williams Genie with swords. Yes Warhammer is heavily derived from historic and national stereotypes and cliches but as said, they're mostly interesting and nuanced, not just disneyfied and generic.

My hope for an Araby faction would be to have CA contract an advisor or two specializing in folklore and mythology from the Middle East to help give it a more authentic feel and get some art and unit ideas from places other than ultra generic Aladdin imagery.
    edited June 2018

Reminds me a little of the Alin from Rise of Legends.

I should look at rise of legends more, didn't get the chance to play it and it isn't available in Steam (I should check gog)
    Coincidentally it featured both heavily italian and middle eastern factions, our current possible newcomers into TW:WH2 ^^

I feel the djiin appearance should fit the expected role. For just invocked creatures maybe the elemental look would do, and a muscular archetype for melee powerhouse. I went more for the caster type as depicted in HM&M too.

And thanks for the support, it's what make us go on with doing such stuff :)
  • XyphaXypha Brussels (Belgium)Posts: 137Registered Users
    Funny how stereotypes are funny and fine unless they tend to touch "political correct" area's.

Cut that stupidness and make what suits best between what is canon and some more modern touch.
  • vintagepurplevintagepurple Posts: 775Registered Users
    Xypha said:

Funny how stereotypes are funny and fine unless they tend to touch "political correct" area's.

Cut that stupidness and make what suits best between what is canon and some more modern touch.

It's not anything about "PC" or "SJW" crap (although anyone who feels the need to whine about either of those things is probably someone I dislike- oh no, it's ruining video games to be inclusive, get that woman out of my star wars, etc, no shut up), it's that generic Disney's Aladdin Araby is boring. Same problem most Cathay fan rosters have, I shouldn't be able to just guess 90% of the units and what they look like.

If I told you "It's the Holy Roman Empire but with magic" would you picture a steam tank, a demigryph, or a luminark? No, they made it slightly unique and interesting.

So Araby should be more than "uhhhhh... flying carpets... bandits with scimitars... camel riders... the genie from the Disney movie...."

And Cathay should be more than "peasant hordes, rockets, kung fu monks, dragons"

• Some_ScribeSome_Scribe Posts: 1,320Registered Users
    I like it, though I admit I'm partial to the Dreadfleet Djinn because I love their lore and appearance.

Your version actually strikes me as being more Indian than Middle Eastern, so maybe this would be better as fanart for Ind?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file